• 59 results
#1 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I've been reading a lot of retro gaming articles lately and one interesting thing that i've come to notice is that when i was young, i would trudge through any game, no matter what. frequently i would find the fun in them because, honestly, it never even occurred to me that games could be bad. i guess its because, to some degree, i didn't understand how games were madeor that people made them. They just kind of... WERE. It has been baffling for me to read about how some games, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES have longstanding reputations for being poor games. To me, as quirky as they got, they were just that. Quirky. And extra challenge to be overcome.

Yet still, games could make me frustrated and angry at them. Usually for wasting a rental or being a poor game swap. I think the first game I realized was just BAD was The Adventures of Bayou Billy. A game that my brothers and I couldn't beat, not matter how hard or long we played.

What the the first game you remember hating? Why?

#2 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

That is similar to how I remember my youth. Even my earliest memory of a bad game is Battletanx for the N64 which I actually really quite enjoyed even though I knew it had some serious problems (Holy crap, I just realized that I've owned that game for almost 10 years. I'M GETTING OLD).

Actually, I think it might have been Super Scope 6, which I played about a year before BattleTanx. Fuck that game.

#3 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

Quest 64. The commercial lied. :(

#4 Posted by Jeust (10451 posts) -

Top Gun for the NES

#5 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Generiko said:

Quest 64. The commercial lied. :(

CRAP. I didn't play that game until fairly recently on emulation. I always thought it LOOKED good, but the reviews were all terrible. I figured "It can't be THAT bad". MAN was I wrong...

#6 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Why did you assholes remind me of Quest 64.

#7 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Jeust said:

Top Gun for the NES

Interesting. I never had this game but I knew a lot of kids who did, and told me they hated it. They wouldn't even let me play to decide for myself...

#8 Posted by AnxiousTube (173 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto 3, I was too young to actually understand how to play it at the time. Looking back you'd think I was an idiot, but I really just didn't get it. Now I walk all over games, ahhh, it's good to have neurons finally connect in your brain.

#9 Posted by CrazedMaverick (214 posts) -

Paperboy for the NES, cause 6 yr old me had no fucking clue what was going on.

#10 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

King of the Mountain for the Atari 2600. Never figured that game out. Bought a box of Atari games back in the mid-80s at a garage sale and none had instruction booklets. KotM was the only game I couldn't figure out.

#11 Posted by Kazzenn (122 posts) -

Superman 64. The first game that I ever returned after 1 day, I was so disappointed.

#12 Edited by Jeust (10451 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

@Jeust said:

Top Gun for the NES

Interesting. I never had this game but I knew a lot of kids who did, and told me they hated it. They wouldn't even let me play to decide for myself...

Rejoice! You were saved from a very frustrating experience.

#13 Edited by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -

Drake of the 99 Dragons. Had a demo of it on the original Xbox and goddamn did that gamer suck! I was 7 and that game sucked!

#14 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Zoop.

I have no idea why I thought that game would be cool, but I played it and returned it immediately.

Also, Mario is Missing.

#15 Edited by Slubbs (28 posts) -

My folks took me to get a game once, and the one I chose was unfortunate. I chose Deadly Towers. I tried to like it, but to no avail.

May not have been the first game i didn't like, but the first one i felt bad about purchasing (with folks money)

#16 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

To be honest, I can't remember.

#17 Posted by yinstarrunner (1181 posts) -

I got a gameboy for my birthday one year. i got three games: tetris, pokeMon blue, and the Home Alone game. Two were great, one was utter shit.

#18 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

King of the Mountain for the Atari 2600. Never figured that game out. Bought a box of Atari games back in the mid-80s at a garage sale and none had instruction booklets. KotM was the only game I couldn't figure out.

You know what? I think you're right! I remember playing that game at a friends house and feeling like it was flat out broken.

#19 Edited by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

i have a really terrible memory, i can't remember ever just getting a game and thinking it was terrible and hating it.

maybe i was too young when i got games and i was just happy to get a new game and didn't care about quality.

then i had sega channel, so all the games were free and i could just not play them if they weren't my thing, no loss.

and then i was old enough to do my own research before i bought a game.

#20 Edited by Slubbs (28 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim: I remember that one. Don't recall if it was the Atari version or another, I just remember the music haunted me for some reason.

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -
#22 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

For fuck's sake, how in the fuck am I supposed to remember that long ago? I remember kind of disliking BattleToads, but I'm sure there was other shit well before that. Definitely the home version of Pac-Man was shitty as fuck.

#23 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

The old Sierra On-Line Space Quest games. Yeah, I know, I'm alone in that. 

I liked science fiction like Star Wars and Star Trek, which certainly have lighter moments, but aren't comedic like Space Quest. I also liked the Police Quest games which are also from Sierra and had some funny moments, but were much more like police procedural simulators. 

I went into Space Quest thinking it was a serious space man game, but was totally turned off by the 'hilarious' janitor in space bit and all the other bits. Never really got  into them this day.

#24 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but here goes. FF VII.

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (11809 posts) -

I honestly can't remember. Like you say, a lot of games just were. I guess it's probably something to do with the fact that there was little to no quality control at that time. I used to love TMNT on the NES even though I could never make it past the dam level where you disarm the bombs underwater. The same goes for most of my NES collection and games I rented on the N64. There were games I didn't enjoy as much as others, but they weren't "bad" games.

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

Drake of the 99 Dragons. Had a demo of it on the original Xbox and goddamn did that gamer suck! I was 5 and that game sucked!

You were 5 in 2003? Goddammit, does that make me feel old. I can vividly remember the X-Play review of that game and everything. I'm only 19 dammit!

#27 Posted by obcdexter (568 posts) -

Alien 3 for the NES - I was a huge Alien fanboy, but neither the movie nor that crappy game could grab me.

#28 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

I honestly cannot remember the first game I ever thought was bad. I'd have to look through the list of Nintendo 64 games and see which ones I remember. I remember not liking Jet Force Gemini, but I was too young to understand what to do in it. Considering how much I like Rare games, I probably would have enjoyed it.

#29 Posted by Galiant (2175 posts) -

Tintin in Tibet for the SNES. I didn't enjoy it at all, even though I was really into Tintin at the time.

#30 Posted by usgrovers (166 posts) -

I played Super Mario 3 before I played Super Mario 2. I absolutely hated 2.

#31 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

I think I probably block most of them, but it was probably Karnov I can't imagine why someone would have bought this game for me as a child.

#32 Posted by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Redbullet685 said:

Drake of the 99 Dragons. Had a demo of it on the original Xbox and goddamn did that gamer suck! I was 5 and that game sucked!

You were 5 in 2003? Goddammit, does that make me feel old. I can vividly remember the X-Play review of that game and everything. I'm only 19 dammit!

Was that demo disc in 2003? Really?! Hmm, then I was 7 and that game sucked!

#33 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1584 posts) -

Think it might have been good ol' E.T.

#34 Posted by Kaiserreich (681 posts) -

Friday the 13th for NES. It is uproariously bad

#35 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

I loved Bayou Billy... I actually just pulled my NES out last week to play that and duck hunt.

The first game I had a fairly strong disgust for was "The Adventures of Dino Ricky." I hate Hudson forever for that. I see that there's nothing on that page.. wonder if other NES games are empty. I should probably take the time to trudge through the crap everyone else was smart enough to not play and fill out their pages.

#36 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Pacman, which is probably because I played Ms Pacman first.

#37 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

@nintendoeats: Woah, woah woah. The Battletanx games were awesome. I actually messed around with the multiplayer of one of them a few months ago. STILL AWESOME.

And for me it's Wall Street Kid for the NES. Oh and Abadox, because that game was impossible.

#38 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -
Imagine opening the Christmas present you thought was Dragon Warrior...
#39 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I had my mom return Legend of Zelda ocarina of time and get Super Smash Bro's because I thought it was too hard; I did buy it again a year later and beat it, though. I guess I have to go with Bugs Bunny Lost in Time for the ps1. I knew that game was terrible, but I played the ever living fuck out of it

#40 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

Driver for the GBC I remember I got if for a present

#41 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

Mario Brothers for the NES

#42 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

Mario is Missing - SNES

#43 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (991 posts) -
"Spot the Video Game" is a very meta title if you think about it.
#44 Posted by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

I think a lot of people share mine - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

#45 Posted by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

Paperboy. It was a weird version (Commodore 16, NOT 64) it took like an hour to load and then gave me about 3 minutes of playtime. Kinda broken, really hard.

#46 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Probably something in the 64 era. or around that time on pc.

#47 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

The first game I ever played that I realized was bad?

Um...

I don't remember...

I was pretty much happy with anything back then. Actually, given a second, I can't think of many downright bad games that I've owned, or even rented. Well, I did rent the Star Wars Revenge of the Sith game and it was definitely no masterpiece, but I did beat it and I do remember enjoying it when I did, though I didn't have to endure much as it was only something like four or five hours long.

#48 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

Must have been Outrun on the old XT.

#49 Posted by SomeScrub (49 posts) -

star wars master of tarikasi I don't know or care how it's spelled, man what a steaming pile of shit that was. It's really high up there on the worst games I've ever encountered list, there just is nothing redeeming about this game.

#50 Posted by notha (239 posts) -

@yinstarrunner said:

I got a gameboy for my birthday one year. i got three games: tetris, pokeMon blue, and the Home Alone game. Two were great, one was utter shit.

I couldn't remember my first terrible game until you reminded me. home alone was the worst.