• 158 results
#1 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'm old but I must say Super Mario 64 holds a place in my heart that can not be denied. I still enjoy playing it today on the virtual console, but yeah, that game even today still holds a place in my gaming future.

What about you? What was your first love. What got you started down this video game trail of love. Did you try a few games before you became hooked, or was it one and done?

#2 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -
#3 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I had an Atari with a few games, but it was the NES and Super Mario Bros. that got me hooked on games.

#4 Edited by Skald (4367 posts) -
Kirby Super Star, hands fucking down. Runner up is probably either Doom or Mortal Kombat.

Edit: Oh, and it definitely wasn't the first game I played, but it was the first one I couldn't stop playing.
#5 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

My first love was Wind Waker.

@yoshimitz707 said:

" Majora's Mask "

I always loved that game just for this sounds alone... 

#6 Posted by StealthRaptor (526 posts) -

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

#7 Edited by Crono11 (1643 posts) -

Gunstar Heroes is definitely the game I have the fondest memories of. I would beat it every weekend with my best friend back in 3rd grade. Or maybe it's Pokemon Yellow....or SMB:3, World's pretty amazing too....

NO! Kirby's Adventure! That's it!
#8 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

I played a lot of games as a kid, but then for some reason I just stopped playing them for a couple of years. Then Resident Evil 4 came along and my love of games was reborn! Still play that game at least once a year.

#9 Edited by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

Sonic 2, and MK2. Got them both at the same time. Also when my dads friend gave me Doom on a floppy :D

#10 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

Super Mario Bros.
#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

Chie... o you mean an actual game... This certainly wasn't my first video game but Star Fox 64 made me interested in video games. I thought the branching routes were cool and Falco was badass. Although just like real life loves it has faded away and I can go without seeing that game ever again, including the upcoming 3D remake.

#12 Posted by Goly (843 posts) -

Soul Blade/Soul Calibur holds a huge place in my heart, countless hours spent playing with friends.

Single player wise, the first Shenmue was the first game that really moved me. I didn't get to play Shenmue II until much later but it brought back some good memories of how I enjoyed the first one. Sega give Shenmue III a chance already.
#13 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Tetris on the original GameBoy. First and forever.
#14 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -
#15 Edited by gla55jAw (2687 posts) -
Final Fantasy VII.

I started with a SNES and then a GameBoy, but my first love wasn't until my Playstation. For my 10th Birthday in 1997, I got a Playstation over an N64 because my friend told me how awesome FFVII was. I had never played an RPG before but I relied on my friend. When I finally got my Playstation I had no memory card and only a demo disk. My friend let me borrow it or I would rent it and I would play it as soon as I got home from school on a Friday up until I went to sleep. I would make it out of Midgar and make it to the Chocobo Ranch and go to sleep, sometimes repeating the process on Saturday. I remember I had saved up some money and opted to buy a memory card over the game so I could save my progress. I finally got the game for Christmas and it is still in my collection and has been played many, many times.
#16 Posted by pikeplacer (388 posts) -

Super mario World.
#17 Posted by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

Mortal Kombat 2

#18 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Still the best game I've ever played.

#19 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@gla55jAw said:
" Final Fantasy VII.

I started with a SNES and then a GameBoy, but my first love wasn't until my Playstation. For my 10th Birthday in 1997, I got a Playstation over an N64 because my friend told me how awesome FFVII was. I had never played an RPG before but I relied on my friend. When I finally got my Playstation I had no memory card and only a demo disk. My friend let me borrow it or I would rent it and I would play it as soon as I got home from school on a Friday up until I went to sleep. I would make it out of Midgar and make it to the Chocobo Ranch and go to sleep, sometimes repeating the process on Saturday. I remember I had saved up some money and opted to buy a memory card over the game so I could save my progress. I finally got the game for Christmas and it is still in my collection and has been played many, many times. "
That's a beautiful story. Brings a gaming tear to my eye...
#20 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Grim fandango.... and i have remained faithful.

#21 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@CptChiken said:
" Grim fandango.... and i have remained faithful. "

#22 Posted by buzz_clik (6959 posts) -

While it wasn't my out and out first love, I frequently credit Planet Patrol as the first game I played that made me think video games were all I wanted to consume.

As for the first game I really loved loved? Tough one to remember, but it's either Impossible Mission or Head Over Heels.

#23 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

It was either Earthbound or A Link to the PaSt.

#24 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
#25 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @CptChiken said:
" Grim fandango.... and i have remained faithful. "

"
I respect you sir.
#26 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

Resident Evil on the PS1! It strung me along for many years, over a decade even - then it went and melted my heart through the hot sun of Africa in 2009 T_T

#27 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
GTA 2.. i felt like i ruled the world playing that game. i felt i could do anything

the amount of crazy in that game, open world random crazy, fascinated me as a 10 year old.
#28 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" Resident Evil on the PS1! It strung me along for many years, over a decade even - then it went and melted my heart through the hot sun of Africa in 2009 T_T "
Dude, I worked at a place where all us dudes talked about Resident Evil. I didn't have a PS1, but the guys that did, they were the shit. Later on, we created a league where we would play games. It didn't last long, but it was cool while it lasted. We mostly played sports games, but video games were played.
#29 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I think Final Fantasy X stands out for me. I wasn't allowed to play games very much as a kid. I remember going to my Aunt's house one holiday for a few days, and my cousins (about 5 years older than me) had a ps2 in the room I was staying in. They were out of the house for the weekend, so I got to mess around with their games. I didn't even know much about Final Fantasy apart from vague memories of DOS emulated ROMs of the NES games my cousin had downloaded on our computer when I was very little (weird people in my family). 

I stayed up all night playing it, getting about a third of the way through before we had to leave. I remember feeling very melancholy when we left because I couldn't keep playing. Later that year, my parents finally broke down and decided to get me a game console. I was understandably excited, but they showed up one day with a Gamecube. I was heartbroken, because that weird little box couldn't play the game I loved! Happy ending though, because I was able to return it, and I got my hands on a PS2. Despite the salesman insisting that the game I clearly wanted was some shitty BMX game, I went straight for the box I recognized. I played straight through FFX over the course of only a few days. Good times. It hit me at an age when I wasn't yet cynical and was able to appreciate kind of sappy and cheesy stories. I miss those days.
#30 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (498 posts) -

The Orignial Legend of Zelda. 

#31 Posted by FesteringNeon (2163 posts) -

It depends per console, but if we're talking about the very first love..

Also, it's funny because of the two teams playing
#32 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

You know... it was probably the original Mortal Kombat.

#33 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" You know... it was probably the original Mortal Kombat. "
SNES, Genesis or Arcade?
#34 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Dtat:  That's tragic and awesome at the same time. What you must have felt going through all that. Look at you now.
#35 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
SNES, Genesis or Arcade? "
Arcade, then SNES.
#36 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
Arcade, then SNES. "
You old.
#37 Edited by MonetaryDread (2007 posts) -

Chrono Trigger

Looking back, I can't believe how much time I spent with this game.  I have always been obsessed with video games, but that game took it to a whole new level. 

Every Ending - Check
All Character Level 99 - Check
Beat the game without New Game + in a single day - Check

Just to put things into perspective, I have put more time into a game with finite content than I have put time into World of Warcraft.
#38 Posted by Inkerman (1450 posts) -

007 Golden Eye for the Nintendo 64. Still the greatest game ever.

#39 Posted by MonetaryDread (2007 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
Arcade, then SNES. "
Awesome.  I always preferred the game on SNES to Genesis.  Sure the Genesis version had blood, but you didn't have to go out and buy a new controller for the SNES version (none of my friends had a 6-button genesis controller so my MK genesis experience sucked).
#40 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
Arcade, then SNES. "
You old. "
Eh, I was like 5 or 6. Too young to be playing MK, that's for sure. But I still managed to turn out okay.
#41 Posted by bonbolapti (1611 posts) -

In all honesty Night Stalker. Now here is a game where I can just waste my time and for some reason it feels soooo good.

#42 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Red Alert. Couldn't get enough of that game. It's the only game I have ever really messed around with a map editor in... and I was 7. Still don't believe 7 year old me had the attention span to make maps in that game.

#43 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -
#44 Posted by Kraank (74 posts) -

Altered Beast

#45 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
#46 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -
@Claude said:
" I'm old but I must say Super Mario 64 holds a place in my heart that can not be denied. I still enjoy playing it today on the virtual console, but yeah, that game even today still holds a place in my gaming future.What about you? What was your first love. What got you started down this video game trail of love. Did you try a few games before you became hooked, or was it one and done? "
Same game for me. I remember my dad and I sitting around, playing it. We hooked up the VCR and recorded us beating Bowser and then collecting the 120th star. Good memories.
#47 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Mario World, who knows how many weeks it took me to 100% it, but it was all worth it.

#48 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

I'm torn between about 5 titles, but if I had to pick 1 of them it would be Elite on the BBC Micro as I think I easily clocked up more hours on this than I did on any other title at the time. The others would be:

Chuckie egg on BBC Micro
Space invaders on Atari 2600
Pacman on Atari 2600
Gridrunner on Commodore Vic 20

#49 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

The original Super Mario Bros. on the NES was what really got me into gaming..  but I was a bit older when Super Mario World was released and I would play that game constantly, it was such a huge leap up from the original games and is still the best 2D platformer ever made, in my opinion.

#50 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

I think the first game I ever played was mario and yoshi. So obviously I was on board day one.