• 158 results
#101 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Of course I played Mario games and stuff as a kid.  But my first real gaming love was a MUD I played in the mid 90s.  I became hooked, and from there it all escalated.

#102 Edited by Fait622 (79 posts) -
#103 Posted by bartok (2371 posts) -

I feel old by saying Dig Dug.

#104 Posted by apeman (189 posts) -

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

#105 Posted by Mike76x (555 posts) -
@bartok said:
" I feel old by saying Dig Dug. "
Then let me join you by saying Galaga.
I currently have it on my 360 and my iPod, along with Dig Dug
#106 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 for PS. O man, I was so freaked out by it, ever since that game i loved being scared in games. It's pretty awesome!

#107 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2100 posts) -

Sonic or Tetris.  I played games when I was a kid in those days, but I didn't ever think of myself as a gamer.  Pilotwings 64 was the next game that I really latched onto... like hundreds of hours spent with that game!

#108 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (367 posts) -

Elite on the C64. Probably put over a thousand hours into that game....and I'm ssooo looking at the C64x as it has Elite pre-loaded....*feels the shiver*

#109 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

I don't remember what my first was.
#110 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2446 posts) -
@Kyreo:   
#111 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@MonetaryDread said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" You know... it was probably the original Mortal Kombat. "
SNES, Genesis or Arcade? "
Arcade, then SNES. "
Awesome.  I always preferred the game on SNES to Genesis.  Sure the Genesis version had blood, but you didn't have to go out and buy a new controller for the SNES version (none of my friends had a 6-button genesis controller so my MK genesis experience sucked). "
Yeah, I much preferred the SNES version too. According to the strategy guide I bought for the new MK, they state that the SNES's controls are so poor in MK1 that it's almost unplayable. That's absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, the guide is very disappointing, and most of the stuff they wrote about in their History of MK section is entirely false. Those idiots don't know what they're talking about.
#112 Posted by ShadowMountain (226 posts) -

Sonic 2 (Megadrive/Genesis)

#113 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3 is what started it all for me.

My friend who lived up the block had just gotten a Nintendo with that game.  I still remember that hot summer day and being like "fuck the outdoors, this is way better".

#114 Posted by gla55jAw (2682 posts) -
@Sayishere said:

" @gla55jAw said:

" Final Fantasy VII.

I started with a SNES and then a GameBoy, but my first love wasn't until my Playstation. For my 10th Birthday in 1997, I got a Playstation over an N64 because my friend told me how awesome FFVII was. I had never played an RPG before but I relied on my friend. When I finally got my Playstation I had no memory card and only a demo disk. My friend let me borrow it or I would rent it and I would play it as soon as I got home from school on a Friday up until I went to sleep. I would make it out of Midgar and make it to the Chocobo Ranch and go to sleep, sometimes repeating the process on Saturday. I remember I had saved up some money and opted to buy a memory card over the game so I could save my progress. I finally got the game for Christmas and it is still in my collection and has been played many, many times. "

Yeah FF7 is another one of my gaming loves also. I never played a real RPG before, since i was a sega fanboy, alot of games i played were platformers or beat em ups on my genesis, so a RPG was new to me. As soon as i bought a Playstation i had games like Tekken 2 and Crash Bandicoot, but these games were pretty child friendly i thought. I used to visit my cousins alot pretty regularly, and my cousin had  a PS1 also, i would also see him play FF7, i would be like, what the hell is that your playing. he always told me that i was to young to play it. This obviously made me more interested. I bought the game pre owned the next day and loved it ever since. Although i was literally stuck in that game for months, its actually quite funny. The part when you first enter Junon harbour, i could NEVER find the harbour. I would roam around aimlessly wondering where the fuck i had to go lol. In the end i broke down and bought a strategy guide and finally found out haha. I still have that guide with me, its really battered, i had to use tape to keep the pages from falling out :D. "
That's another great story. I remember my dad coming and and watching for a few minutes and telling me it looking like I was playing a movie. Then he would always call it "that movie game". I still have the guide I bought too.
  @Claude said:

That's a beautiful story. Brings a gaming tear to my eye... "

Thanks Claude. Oh the memories haha.
#115 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2259 posts) -

My Atari VCS was probably the big hook, but I think the fist game that I really loved...that opened up a world of gaming...was Seven Cities of Gold.  I would spend hours at my Apple IIc playing that game.
#116 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

My first experiences playing games was at a friend's house where we'd play crap like Raiders of the Lost Ark on the 2600. Despite not having any idea what I was supposed to do I begged my parents for an Atari. X-mas came around and I received a NES, disappointed that I didn't get an Atari, I set it up and played Super Mario Bros. and realized that I had hit the jackpot.

#117 Posted by RageExpressive (50 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time...First game on the N64, must have pile hours of love in to that game, and then when it was released with Wind Waker...I actually bought Wind Waker just so I could play it on my Gamecube and play Master Quest <3

#118 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3.

I don't think I need to explain my position.
#119 Posted by chronicsmoke (995 posts) -

star tropics and super mario bros got me into gaming

#120 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5794 posts) -

The original Quest for Glory.  I still love that game today.  It opened up so many doors for me, even some that aren't gaming related.  Sierra adventure games taught me to type when I was five, basic sentence structure before I knew what the hell sentences really were, correct spelling, a basic love for fantasy settings, and a deep lifelong appreciation for games.

#121 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

sonic the hedgehog 2. no matter how much crap the new ones get the old ones are still amazing

#122 Edited by Stonyman65 (2405 posts) -

Probably Super Mario Brothers 3. That was the first game I played, and thats what got me hooked.
Runners up are Super Mario World, and Ultimate MK3. I've played those games more in my childhood than I have played any other game to date. 

#123 Posted by yakov456 (1872 posts) -

My grandparents had an Atari 2600 and a box full of games, instant addiction AND paralysis of the hand.

#124 Posted by Helushune (215 posts) -
#125 Posted by falco_eagle (220 posts) -
#126 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

#127 Posted by ThePickle (4149 posts) -

Backyard Baseball and NHL '94 were the first two games I played. I play them to this day.

#128 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

I had this Genesis six pack cartridge with Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi, the original Golden Axe, and some others. Also Mortal Kombat 3.
Those were like some of the first games I ever played.

#129 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

I remember Supaplex being the first game I ever played, and how I loved it.

#130 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

super mario world

#131 Edited by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

I played SNES games, but the first games I really loved were PS1 games.  Probably Grandia or HM: BTN.

#132 Edited by supermonkey122 (780 posts) -

Croc Legened of the Gobbos on Sega Saturn
#133 Posted by pekoe212 (413 posts) -

King's Quest V. It was a gift from my uncle and got me into games beyond Battle Chess. He got us our first computer too, taught me how to use DOS so I could launch my games. Totally shaped my future really.

#134 Posted by PeteyCoco (90 posts) -
 Awwwwh Yeah!
#135 Posted by crusader8463 (14305 posts) -

Vanguard Bandits. It was the first game I ever rented more then once just so I could beat the entire thing. I loved the characters, the gameplay, the art, the music and it was one of the first games I played that had a real story and character development.
#136 Posted by Mikemcn (6874 posts) -

I'll never forget you Keen! 
#137 Posted by vasylkoB317 (57 posts) -

Mario Kart 64. It was me and my brothers first ever console game on our first ever console. We used to race and play battle mode particularly on block fortress for hours and hours. We would even bring out the old N64 every so often to play it again even as we moved on to using other consoles. Now the N64 is missing but we still have the game. I hope to someday find it again so we can recapture that magic. 

#138 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Quite an eclectic mix of games people fell in love with, some I've never even heard of. There's been a lot of video games made in this little world of ours.

#139 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -
#140 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart, and the Pokemon games for the gameboy.

#141 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 2.

Omg... Liek, omg... You wouldn't believe how hard I latched onto that game as a kid. I was so obsessed you wouldn't believe it.

I used to beat it at least two times a day, and I used to take out the memory card and go through and do everything as fast as possible without turning off the PS2.

You should have seen how crazy I got when I noticed that my favorite show at the time, The Real Adventures Of Johnny Quest, had Quinton Flynn in it. I. Shit. Bricks.

I'll neeeeeeeeeeevaaaaaaaaah leeeeeet youuuuu goooo, MGS2.

#142 Posted by Kraznor (1573 posts) -

Absolute earliest (age four maybe?) Poo Yan and Ghostbusters on the Atari (don't remember which one as it was thrown away years ago). Those are some formative gaming memories right there.

#143 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -
#144 Posted by Praab_NZ (278 posts) -

Probably Command & Conquer, back around 95, although my first taste of AAA gaming was Metal Gear Solid for the PS1, that game was so goddam difficult for the novice i was at the time.
#145 Posted by Fiero_Addict (32 posts) -
Lemmings

Loved that game when I was a kid. It was like setting ants on fire but in much more imaginative ways, and maybe sometimes you'd actually save them so you could move to the next level. 
#146 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@crono11: Same thing there are very few gaming memories that beat getting the pokemon branded gameboy color, sadly I no longer have it.
#147 Posted by leadthallium (46 posts) -

My fondest memories are from Sonic 2,shinobi 3....
and a game I can not remember the title of,you where a ninja that picked up power-ups that turned you into a scorpion,a bird,or a fish each with respective abilities.

#148 Posted by Lelcar (591 posts) -

I think it was Final Fantasy IV (II- Easy Type) for the SNES back in 1991. I played that game over and over again like it was my job. Either that or Super Mario World, they came out at around the same time. Anything before that is a bit hazy to remember, but I know I played games before 1991.

#149 Posted by Danbo (191 posts) -

Was hooked on Sonic 2 as far back as I can remember, so I've loved videogames pretty much all my life thanks to that game. Gotta say though, the one that will always have a place in my cholestrol-ridden heart is PSO.

#150 Posted by emem (1954 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
"
 I'll never forget you Keen! 
"
Ohh I really liked Commander Keen. Kind of funny, I just remembered the "potato king" in that one weird episode ID released.. to implement potatoes seems to be in again. ;)