#151 Edited by believer258 (11923 posts) -

@Sinusoidal said:

and how freakishly hard Zero Mission is, at least compared to Fusion which is a walk in the park.

You must be getting these reversed. I could beat Zero Mission using only my toes, while masturbating with one hand and doing calculus with the other.

@Video_Game_King said:

Given how I'm now nostalgic for Final Fantasy VII, I'm pretty sure I'm just nostalgic for the 90s in general.

I actually didn't start playing FF7 until last year and I think it holds up all right. So does 6.

#152 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

Same here on both, although FF7 is definitely a slow burn. It's like FF13 for 1997, in that there's one particular moment where things become glaringly awesome. Also, people hold it up as "this is what's wrong with Japanese gaming", I guess.

#153 Posted by believer258 (11923 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

Same here on both, although FF7 is definitely a slow burn. It's like FF13 for 1997, in that there's one particular moment where things become glaringly awesome. Also, people hold it up as "this is what's wrong with Japanese gaming", I guess.

Well, just what do people say is "wrong with Japanese gaming"? It seems like it's not much different now than it's ever been, looking in from the perspective of someone who didn't play a ton of Japanese games as a kid and is only just now looking back at some of them. Maybe they're more juxtaposed to Western games?

#154 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Well, just what do people say is "wrong with Japanese gaming"?

Slow, anime, linear, overly cinematic, melodramatic, maybe some other things.

#155 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

Having a discussion about the merits and demerits of all the 3D Zelda games made me want to revisit each one.

Playing through both DmC and Bayonetta concurrently got me in the mood for more combo heavy action games; so I popped in Ninja Gaiden Black, then promptly popped it back out an hour two later because goddamn I forgot how hard that game was - and how awkward the controls are after the more fluid and light DmC and Bayonetta. I wish I could high five my younger self for managing to beat that game.

I got Castlevania: Lords of Shadow on Thursday, and finished it yesterday, so now of course I want to go back through all the metroidvanias.

A nostalgia triple bypass.

#156 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1834 posts) -

@NinjaBerd said:

@Morningstar said:

Dark Cloud 2. All the time.

This... And Rogue Galaxy.

would rouge galaxy be worth trying to find a copy and play it nowadays or does it not really hold up?

#157 Posted by believer258 (11923 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Well, I guess "juxtaposed to Western games" is more true than I thought. Western games tend to be hyperactive, obsessed with presenting themselves realistically, are either way too linear or really, really open, don't show much emotion beyond "bros" and "anger", and there's probably a whole lot of other contrasts you can come up with.

#158 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#159 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Well, I guess "juxtaposed to Western games" is more true than I thought. Western games tend to be hyperactive, obsessed with presenting themselves realistically, are either way too linear or really, really open, don't show much emotion beyond "bros" and "anger", and there's probably a whole lot of other contrasts you can come up with.

Actually those games are surprisingly reflective of the problems Japanese games share - i.e. doing the same shit again and again. The JRPG is the FPS of Japan.

#160 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@ThePaleKing:

Maybe it's more reflective of a greater trend in gaming: stretching ideas as thin as you possibly can.

#161 Posted by MrSpaceMan (118 posts) -

Anything involving Quake

#162 Edited by believer258 (11923 posts) -

@ThePaleKing said:

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Actually those games are surprisingly reflective of the problems Japanese games share - i.e. doing the same shit again and again. The JRPG is the FPS of Japan.

But FPS games have their differences. Battlefield 3, Halo 4, the upcoming Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Resistance 3, Hard Reset, Bulletstorm, and Borderlands 2 are all very different within the genre. Maybe it's because shooters are pretty much my favorite (or at least, most played) genre, but I see a good bit of variety in modern shooters.

I know comparatively little about JRPG's - defer to Video_Game_King for that.

#163 Posted by believer258 (11923 posts) -

@MrSpaceMan said:

Anything involving Quake

Really?

#164 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1640 posts) -

I was going through Retrovirus today and I absolutely had to go back to the Descent franchise and relive the games from my childhood.

#165 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@MrSpaceMan said:

Anything involving Quake

Really?

Me too.

#166 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: I bet it holds up pretty well considering the graphical style. But I wouldn't go paying more than $30 for it.

#167 Posted by HandsomeMuffin (109 posts) -

Randomly heard the world map theme for Final Fantasy 7 and while that game isn't as good as I remember it being that track just brought back so many memories.

#168 Posted by squiDc00kiE (352 posts) -

Assault Rigs. Haven't played it since I was 7. I think I may still have a copy laying around, now I just need my PS1 back

#169 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

Dark Cloud 2. All the time.

#170 Posted by Excast (936 posts) -

Probably my purchase of the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3 about 8 months ago. Just a ton of old games, especially some quality RPGs, that I never really got to play as a SNES owner.

#171 Posted by hollitz (1525 posts) -

D2 for the dreamcast but I sold it :( :( :( :(

Okage Shadow King for the PS2 but I sold that as well :( :( :( :(

Neither game set the world on fire, but both of them were really atmospheric and I had a really bad hankering to play them.

#172 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

Sly Cooper 1 and 2, loved them as a kid and I just beat them again recently.

#173 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Damn it. The whimsy of Skyward Sword's soundtrack is pulling me into another nostalgia attack. AGH! Somebody call the number on my bracelet! Tell the paramedics that listening to some video game OSTs causes these re...react-AAAAAAGGGHHHHH!!

#174 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

These videos have made me want to take another trip to Termina lately.

#175 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

Damn it. The whimsy of Skyward Sword's soundtrack is pulling me into another nostalgia attack. AGH! Somebody call the number on my bracelet! Tell the paramedics that listening to some video game OSTs causes these re...react-AAAAAAGGGHHHHH!!

#176 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Watching this weeks TNT and hearing/seeing that awesome PS2 start up sequence. Maaaan. Love it. Love it so much.

#177 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Everytime anything related to Tekken 3 gets brought up. <3

#178 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5010 posts) -

About a week ago, for some reason I was thinking about vampires and that I never finished Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. So I installed it again and then "Oh god, now I remember why."

#180 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

About a week ago, for some reason I was thinking about vampires and that I never finished Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. So I installed it again and then "Oh god, now I remember why."

Oh god, I know this feeling all too well. It happens everytime I think about beating the first Witcher.

...I'll beat it someday, I swear.

#181 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Watching the 1987 TMNT cartoon right now. Not game-related, but definitely nostalgia involved.

#182 Edited by Azurath (307 posts) -

I was watching Unprofessional Fridays and when I heard the Banjo Kazooie theme in Nuts & Bolts I felt a chill go down my spine.

BK is my favorite fastfood place N64 game, but I still haven't played Nuts & Bolts.

#183 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Listening to Phantom Brave music is getting me in the mood for that game again. THESE PILLS WERE SUPPOSED TO STOP THE ATTACKS, DAMN IT!

#184 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I just spent the last hour working, but with a playthrough of Lylat Wars running on my other monitor.

I'm not sure why.

#185 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

When i completed super mario world earlier this year on the snes.

#186 Edited by ElJosh (37 posts) -

Final Fantasy 8 & 10 and Golden Sun for the GBA, there is even some music that occasionally comes up that slaps me in the gut to play Golden Sun

#187 Edited by Miyuki (176 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII. I've been playing it on my PSP, but sadly it isn't aging well.

#188 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Baldur's Gate; the extended edition release (which I picked up) was the catalyst. I'd not played the 1st game (100+hr into the sequel though), and at the time I had no desire to jump into another shooter or break away from the top-down action stuff I am into.

#189 Posted by afjkidd5 (97 posts) -

I am having a massive Dreamcast nostalgia attack at the moment. I have been playing Shenmue and Dynamite Cip over the past few days. Thinking about jumping into some Grandia 2 and Sonic Adventure next.

#190 Edited by Rapid (1368 posts) -

Watching the FMV sequences in Spycraft on unprofessional fridays made me nostalgic for Red Alert 2 and Yuri Revenge. BRING BACK THE FMV!

#191 Posted by fang273 (194 posts) -

Every couple years I get an itch to replay Suikoden 2. Psychonauts is another one that I go back to once in a while, even though I was older when I first played it.

#192 Posted by Glottery (1280 posts) -

When I saw a Mighty Max toy at the nearby flea market (Didn't know it literally translated to that from finnish) and...oh, this was about games. Then probably seeing Cliver Barker's Undying pop up at GoG's sale a week or two ago or so. In fact, I'm just about to start playing it now and see if I'll still get spooked by that one scene near the beginning...

#193 Posted by DoctorTran (1562 posts) -

A few hours ago, I got the Super Mario World theme stuck in my head...

#194 Posted by liquiddragon (241 posts) -

Beat Ico again couple weeks ago. Top to bottom, it's aged unbelievably well. Combat is still crap though Lol.

#195 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Found my Pokémon Blue from when I was a kid and it still had all my old Pokémon on it. I nearly died.

#196 Posted by Srirachachacha (8 posts) -

Pulled out my GBC yesterday and found that Dragon Warrior Monsters was still inside. I've never even played a legit Dragon Quest game, but I was obsessed with DQM as a kid.

#197 Posted by GValo (240 posts) -

I work in IT for a large corporation. Someone on my floor has the mother 3 love theme for their ringtone. Every day, I feel like busting out the hacked psp-go to play some.

#198 Posted by TooWalrus (13206 posts) -

The footage of A Link Between Worlds made me dig out my SNES and start playing A Link to the Past again.

...That game is a lot easier for my adult brain to figure out. My seven-year-old self struggled with that game quite a bit.

#199 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I would love to replay this game again...

#200 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

It's hard to feel nostalgic when you never stop playing. ;-)