• 56 results
#1 Posted by Picsl (201 posts) -

I just finished watching the Deadly Premonition ER's, and really enjoyed it. Now, obviously this is purely hypothetic, and the GB crew have expressed their dislike for the process on multiple occasions, but even if they did decide to do one, what game do you think would be compatible with the format?

Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition were both great because of the humorous (or absurd in DP's case) nature of their stories, which is why I think Chrono Trigger was a bit of a dud (only a bit, though). I've been thinking about possible candidates for a little while, but I can't really come up with anything. Maybe it's a game not yet made, or maybe you guys have a better idea?

#2 Edited by Scottish_Sin (221 posts) -

I've always thought that a Dark Souls ER would be pretty entertaining, maybe with @rorie and @vinny

#3 Edited by jgf (382 posts) -

Diablo 3 Inferno *hehehe* *MUHAHAHA*

#4 Edited by RazielCuts (2909 posts) -

First Rule of Giant Bomb: We don't talk about Endurance Runs.

#5 Posted by jking47 (1207 posts) -

None now that you have asked.

#6 Edited by MEATBALL (3017 posts) -

I'm kind of hoping that if one ever happens it'll be for another game with a murder mystery at its center since that worked out extremely well with Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition. Definitely think it needs to be something with voice acting and a tonne of quirk. It's tough, though, because another element of those first two Endurance Runs was probably that the guys didn't really have much idea what they were in for with Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition.

Here's hoping when the time is right something awesome will speak to them and it'll be amazing.

#7 Posted by Akyho (1584 posts) -

I did the chrono trigger one first enjoyed it. Played DP on my own and watched the ER of it to the point I am at.

I am now on ep 117 of persona 4. Which going backwards I have found that Persona 4 was the best and DP only scrapes by with the absurbed nature of the game.

Why i have decided this on the matter of the Endurance run.

YOU CANNOT FORCE THE ENDURANCE RUN! THERE MIGHT NOT EVEN BE A GAME WORTHY OF AN ENDURANCE RUN EVER AGAIN!

Persona 4 was the high point you cant just try again. Its done. Endurance run is over.

That is my opinion befor CBS it stil holds true however the TIME!

Due to the nature of CBSI and gamespot being a company. Those dudes are getting stuck in all manner of meetings and getting time sucked out of them through paper work to do stuff they would do on spurr of the moment with Whiskey media.

throwing 2 guys into a room each morning for what? 150 days? Thats half a year!

even 27 days is alot in thet time is money buisness.

There is no endurance run its done.

#8 Posted by McLargepants (354 posts) -

At one of the panels, I want to say PAX last year, Jeff commented that he found himself asking Vinny, "Yakuza?" This was in the context of a question about Endurance Running. But still, like the above poster said, if they were to do another one, they'd have to REALLY want to do it. The move to CBS has to be taking up a lot of their time.

#9 Edited by Winternet (8002 posts) -

I'm still waiting for the P4:ER Bluray Box Set with special commentary about the commentary.

#10 Edited by probablytuna (3524 posts) -

Damn it, now you made me want to watch Deadly Premonition ER again.

#11 Edited by Pyrgz (256 posts) -

Purple Giant Bomb bumper

Dissolve fade to full bomb crew on the usual set. On the table is a towering stack of paper documents.

The documents are Endurance Run requests

They read through the requests one by one, then tear them up and/or eat them.

No breaks until one of them perishes of dysentery.

#12 Posted by smcn (847 posts) -
@akyho said:

YOU CANNOT FORCE THE ENDURANCE RUN! THERE MIGHT NOT EVEN BE A GAME WORTHY OF AN ENDURANCE RUN EVER AGAIN!

I'm pretty sure this is the crew's philosophy too. Persona 4 was a fluke and it ended up perfect. DP's hook was "dueling ER's" but I never even watched BR. I skipped CT completely because I'd already played it, and as much as I love Patrick it seemed against the point of ER for someone who'd already played the game to be sitting in.

#13 Edited by Cheesebob (1230 posts) -

I would love the next game to be Yakuza. But only if the GB guys feel that it would be a good idea.

#14 Posted by StrikeALight (1112 posts) -

Persona 4 was lightning in a bottle. I doubt they could re-produce the quality of that ER, even if they wanted to.

#15 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

The next IEndurance run should only be Persona 5 beginning at release day. In all honestly the other endurance runs were pretty boring in my opinion.

#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@jgf said:

Diablo 3 Inferno *hehehe* *MUHAHAHA*

At this point that would probably be the shortest Endurance Run in the history of Endurance Runs.

#17 Edited by ChosenOne (196 posts) -
#18 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

I would love the next game to be Yakuza. But only if the GB guys feel that it would be a good idea.

I think this is the best idea, they've even thought about it...

actually, now that I think about it, mars: war logs is probably the better idea. It's basically DP the RPG anyway.

#19 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

I want a Catherine ER with Jeff on controls and Patrick commenting. THAT would be entertainment

#20 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

I'm also holding out for the Phantasmagoria 2 RPCG/ER

#21 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Yakuza 3. Perfect endurance run game.

#22 Edited by Flacracker (1575 posts) -

All the Yakuza games or maybe just a few. Or Dark Souls.

#23 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

I want a Catherine ER with Jeff on controls and Patrick commenting. THAT would be entertainment

only thing better would be a yoshi's island ER with Jeff and Patrick.

#24 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4137 posts) -

Persona 4. Why?

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (35827 posts) -

I'd say Persona 3, but aren't I doing that? Plus Vinny has definitely played it before, so that might fuck up the format.

#26 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@killacam said:

Yakuza 3. Perfect endurance run game.

Yakuza 3 misses like 50$ of the side content so better Yakuza 4 or even better yakuza 5. But again I do not think that this will be interesting. Persona 5 or nothing^^

#27 Posted by MEATBALL (3017 posts) -

I'm not expecting that if it ever happened that an Endurance Run would turn out as amazing as Persona 4, but that Deadly Premonition ER was pretty fantastic, I thought (particularly Vinny/Jeff) and I hope one day the stars will align and we'll get another of similar quality.

On the bright side, we semi-regularly get content similar to that of an Endurance Run thanks to shows like Random PC game (feels like it's been forever since the last, though, Rorie, Vinny and Drew should totally give it a go soon, schedule willing).

#28 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@meatball said:

I'm not expecting that if it ever happened that an Endurance Run would turn out as amazing as Persona 4, but that Deadly Premonition ER was pretty fantastic, I thought (particularly Vinny/Jeff) and I hope one day the stars will align and we'll get another of similar quality.

On the bright side, we semi-regularly get content similar to that of an Endurance Run thanks to shows like Random PC game (feels like it's been forever since the last, though, Rorie, Vinny and Drew should totally give it a go soon, schedule willing).

Yeah but sadly they do not play through these games even if they seem to have fun with it like with Blade Runner for example. I would love if they would dig deeper into all these FMV games from back then.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@darji said:

@meatball said:

Yeah but sadly they do not play through these games even if they seem to have fun with it like with Blade Runner for example. I would love if they would dig deeper into all these FMV games from back then.

I thought they had problems with saves for blade runner.

#30 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@animasta said:

@darji said:

@meatball said:

I thought they had problems with saves for blade runner.

Oh they did? NVM then did not hear about that... *sadface*

#31 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Patrick plays Yoshi's Island with noise-cancelling headphones on.

Jeff commentates.

#32 Posted by BBAlpert (1354 posts) -

Brad playing Dota 2 for 150 straight hours. A true test of endurance.

#33 Posted by DeathTrap (224 posts) -

How about Earthbound with Jeff and Vinny?

#34 Edited by stalefishies (330 posts) -

I still think Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden would make an incredible (and not insufferably long) Endurance Run, but it's not like any of these suggestions are ever going to mean anything.

#35 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

@i_smell said:

Patrick plays Yoshi's Island with noise-cancelling headphones on.

Jeff commentates.

Yes please.

#36 Posted by Beforet (2911 posts) -

Eh, if they're going to do the whole "let's play a game and document it" thing then they should probably use another format. The Endurance Run isn't something that can be repeated.

#37 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

There will be no new Endurance Run ever.

#38 Posted by Stonyman65 (2570 posts) -

A (when it comes out) Fallout 4 Endurance Run would be pretty great!

#39 Edited by jgf (382 posts) -
#40 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

An Endurance Run where the staff is forced to watch the entire run of some fine CBS programming.

First up: Two and a Half Men Endurance Run!!

#41 Edited by bigjeffrey (4710 posts) -

Geoff said that even the p4 endurance run was crazy. On his tumblr, "don't expect a ER anytime soon"

#42 Edited by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

Geoff said that even the p4 endurance run was crazy. On his tumblr, "don't expect a ER anytime soon"

It has to be asked and maybe you've answered before, but why do you spell Jeff "Geoff?"

Also I doubt Yakuza games would be good ER content because it would be real short. The only reason those games last long is walking around looking for sidequests and we all saw how much side stuff they skipped in Deadly Premonition.

I think the direction they should take an ER is to play a game they would absolutely hate and see how long they can last. That would be more in the spirit of the name. Like, have Jeff play through Dark Souls or play through one quest a day in Monster Hunter until he either plays through every quest in the game or gives up. That would be a true test of endurance. Or have Ryan play through a horror game, I would pay money to have Ryan play through a horror game because we all know under that tough facade, he cracks under the pressure of horror.

#43 Posted by wjb (1621 posts) -

Endurance Run is dead, long live a Bradley May Cry once every two months.

#44 Posted by SaFt (379 posts) -

Yakuza 4, i would watch it. It might be a bit cut scene heavy though.

#45 Posted by TMBaker (230 posts) -

Liked the idea of Shenmue.

#46 Edited by Nezza (332 posts) -

I say Mother 2. That way those of us that have never played it, or own a Wii U (for when it is released on the estore), will have a clue what all the fuss is about.

#47 Edited by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

Unfortunately this site is always on the verge of being a failure (Daily Unique visitors hovers around 200,000 - 400,000) and the extra work of an endurance run seems like it would be too much for their current workload.

How about this for an idea, we should convince the Giantbomb crew to do a kickstarter for another endurance run. I am sure that is the only way that Giantbomb will ever do another ER. I would certainly throw in $20 for a Dark Souls Endurance Run.

#48 Edited by StarvingGamer (7918 posts) -

A longform video series where a pair of them play through a game from start to finish in daily segments.

#49 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

An Endurance Run where the staff is forced to watch the entire run of some fine CBS programming.

First up: Two and a Half Men Endurance Run!!

There Were No Survivors.

#50 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

What made the P4 ER work so well was that it was actually a really good game underneath all the quirky weirdness of it, so while it starts out as a bit of making fun, you also get the arc of the guys coming to care and think about the game. Whatever they do next (which I think the problem with DP is that, no, it's just really not a very good game), it needs to have that same special mixture that allows them to both laugh and love.