What would be your ideal battle system for a JRPG?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Shadow

Japanese Role playing games have been all over the place with how they have done combat, but none of them seem to have nailed it...which is why we're still seeing all sorts of different systems that don't quite work perfectly.  My question for you:  what type of battle system could one implement that you would absolutely love?  For example, I would like a system like in Final Fantasy 12 where you don't go into a battle screen, but done with a combat system like that of Tales of Vesperia.  The result would be fast-paced real-time combat where you would fight in the same area you're exploring instead of teleporting into an imaginary completely flat and barren field.  The main problem I would think of is the possibility of grabbing the attention of additional baddies when you're already fighting a strong enemy.  Anyone else want something different?  Having just played a big ass play session of Xenosaga 2 (MAJOR combat problems there), this is really on my mind right now.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

I wouldn't mind going back to traditional turn based. But I like the the possibilities of the action-rpg style, or the mmo style. I wouldn't really mix two different styles like the example you gave. I think the action style for it can still be innovated more so it doesn't feel like button mashing.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shadow
suneku said:
"I wouldn't mind going back to traditional turn based. But I like the the possibilities of the action-rpg style, or the mmo style. I wouldn't really mix two different styles like the example you gave. I think the action style for it can still be innovated more so it doesn't feel like button mashing."
So something a bit more like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden where it's very skill based instead of all about how fast you swiing you sword?  That would be interesting to see.  Still, I'm not too sure that can be done well in a game where you're going up and up in levels...but that's definately a possibility if it's developed enough.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By suneku

no, I didn't mean like DMC or NG. I mean like kingdom hearts, or infinite undiscovery for action-rpg, and the mmo style is what FF12 was.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Geno

Final Fantasy VII's would be nice. Not as slow as the oldest ones that give you infinite time per turn, but not so fast that's it's not even an RPG anymore.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Omega

I would like to see more turned based rpg's. I like it when developers take the bare bones of the turn based combat system and build on it. Every battle system is unique for every game franchise.

But I'd be happy if random battles and save points stayed in the 90's where they belong.

In short...I WANT MORE CHRONO TRIGGER.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shadow

I gotta admit, as much as I would prefer real time stuff, I did like how Enchanted Arms did turn-based combat

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Coltonio7

For a JRPG? Probably Turn-Based.

It just....fits right.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Bear

I like the way Tales of Vesperia has done it. Probably the most enjoyable JRPG for me gameplay-wise.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shadow
Coltonio7 said:
"For a JRPG? Probably Turn-Based.

It just....fits right."
what kind of turn-based combat.  It can be done in TONS of different ways.
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coltonio7
Shadow said:
"Coltonio7 said:
"For a JRPG? Probably Turn-Based.

It just....fits right."
what kind of turn-based combat.  It can be done in TONS of different ways."
My personal favourite was the FF8 ATB System.

Just...no more drawing magic.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Axersia
I would like a system like in Final Fantasy 12 where you don't go into a battle screen, but done with a combat system like that of Tales of Vesperia.  The result would be fast-paced real-time combat where you would fight in the same area you're exploring instead of teleporting into an imaginary completely flat and barren field.
You just described Infinite Undiscovery there.

Shadow said:
So something a bit more like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden where it's very skill based instead of all about how fast you swiing you sword?  That would be interesting to see.  Still, I'm not too sure that can be done well in a game where you're going up and up in levels...but that's definately a possibility if it's developed enough."
And that's pretty much Kingdom Hearts. Well, sure, it's not nearly as deep as those games, but your skill as a player can definitely effect the outcome of battle. Especially if you decide to do a low level run on Proud Mode or import KH2: Final Mix+ and play it on Critical Mode whilst equipping EXP0 so you can go through the game on Lvl. 1 (though you do still gain some ATK/DEF/HP boosts from bosses). I've tried it, and believe me, button mashing will not get you anywhere.

In any case, my favorite battle system is that of KH2. The only way I would like to see them improving it is is making it more similar Devil May Cry. I also greatly enjoy the Tales of series and definitely tend to prefer action RPGs over turn-based ones. Oddly enough though, Dragon Quest is either my favorite or my favorite or second favorite RPG series, and its battle system is as bare-bones turn-based as it gets.

I also think Valkyrie Profile 2 has one of the greatest, most unique, and intricate battle systems of all time. It can't really be described as either turn-based or action-based, but you do have to be both strategic and quick with your fingers. I'd really like to see more battle systems that similarly don't borrow too much from what's currently out there.

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By jangofett88

I like the way Star Ocean: Til The End of Time handled its real time combat system. You can hack and slash but then pause to pick spells you want to cast.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadow
Axersia said:
"
I would like a system like in Final Fantasy 12 where you don't go into a battle screen, but done with a combat system like that of Tales of Vesperia.  The result would be fast-paced real-time combat where you would fight in the same area you're exploring instead of teleporting into an imaginary completely flat and barren field.
You just described Infinite Undiscovery there.

Shadow said:
So something a bit more like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden where it's very skill based instead of all about how fast you swiing you sword?  That would be interesting to see.  Still, I'm not too sure that can be done well in a game where you're going up and up in levels...but that's definately a possibility if it's developed enough."
And that's pretty much Kingdom Hearts. Well, sure, it's not nearly as deep as those games, but your skill as a player can definitely effect the outcome of battle. Especially if you decide to do a low level run on Proud Mode or import KH2: Final Mix+ and play it on Critical Mode whilst equipping EXP0 so you can go through the game on Lvl. 1 (though you do still gain some ATK/DEF/HP boosts from bosses). I've tried it, and believe me, button mashing will not get you anywhere.

In any case, my favorite battle system is that of KH2. The only way I would like to see them improving it is is making it more similar Devil May Cry. I also greatly enjoy the Tales of series and definitely tend to prefer action RPGs over turn-based ones. Oddly enough though, Dragon Quest is either my favorite or my favorite or second favorite RPG series, and its battle system is as bare-bones turn-based as it gets.

I also think Valkyrie Profile 2 has one of the greatest, most unique, and intricate battle systems of all time. It can't really be described as either turn-based or action-based, but you do have to be both strategic and quick with your fingers. I'd really like to see more battle systems that similarly don't borrow too much from what's currently out there.

"
I suppose so.  It's just too bad Infinite Undiscovery was bad for so many other reasons.  I would love to see that sort of combat system (but a bit more refined) in a RPG that doesn't end within 20 hours.
Avatar image for theworstplayerever
TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I really only like turn based combat systems like all of the old RPG's used to have. Im not a big fan of this active (real time) battle system with the possible exception of Kingdom Hearts even though thats not really an RPG in my mind

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By keyhunter

They should use the Dungeons and Dragons system like all those old bioware games. Obviously D&D has nailed it. KOTOR 1 and 2 were perfect. And they rarely update the rules.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Discorsi

Turn based is the shit,  Turn based for life.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

Some actual innovation, maybe.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers