• 52 results
#1 Posted by harinosho (668 posts) -

I had a thought about what I would like to see in fighting games, which i have yet to see and since im a fan of the genre. Besides tekken,  I hate it due to my ass keeps getting kicked... freakin air juggles..  (maybe im just not looking hard enough to find these features.)

Anyway:

My additions:

1.  weak pose when a certain amount of power is depleted.

2. Personal character stage  introductions. (eg street fighter: if chun li is help[ing some in the background and takes notice you coming along then battle starts.)

3 Body scars (like bushido blade or art of fighting) 

#2 Posted by Rallier (1947 posts) -

Good training modes that acually teach the play how to play the game and how to use different tactics.

#3 Edited by Linkyshinks (11407 posts) -

Selectable winning poses would be nice, you could hold down a buttons to initiate them. I would also like to see rage animations return, like those seen in Sam Sho.

#4 Posted by Shadow (5110 posts) -

customizable costumes

#5 Posted by Fudgeblood (222 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" Good training modes that acually teach the play how to play the game and how to use different tactics. "
This.

I have yet to play a fighting game where the training mode actually helped me play the game.
#6 Posted by Rallier (1947 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" Selectable winning poses would be nice, you could hold down a buttons to imitate them. I would also like to see rage animations return, like those seen in Sam Sho. "
This will never happen but custom winning animation (via Natal perhaps) would be quite amazing and probably offensive but still amazing.
#7 Posted by onimonkii (2529 posts) -

some good social online modes like doa4 had. i think super street fighter 4 is going to have a winner stays style lobby system so that might work

basically something beyond matching me up with a dude and then we can rematch or bounce.

#8 Posted by crystalskull2 (436 posts) -
@Fudgeblood said:
" @Rallier said:
" Good training modes that acually teach the play how to play the game and how to use different tactics. "
This.  I have yet to play a fighting game where the training mode actually helped me play the game. "
#9 Posted by NoodleSpinningGuy (17 posts) -

Non-ending combo like DMC4?

#10 Posted by onimonkii (2529 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" @Rallier said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
" Selectable winning poses would be nice, you could hold down a buttons to imitate them. I would also like to see rage animations return, like those seen in Sam Sho. "
This will never happen but custom winning animation (via Natal perhaps) would be quite amazing and probably offensive but still amazing. "
 Why not?, there's already games which feature varied win animations for characters, I'm simply suggesting that you should be able to pick which one starts by holding down a buttonafter a bout is won  "
i'm pretty sure tekken 6 does this, just off the top of my head
#11 Posted by Rallier (1947 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:

" @Rallier said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

This will never happen but custom winning animation (via Natal perhaps) would be quite amazing and probably offensive but still amazing. "
 Why not?, there's already games which feature varied win animations for characters, I'm simply suggesting that you should be able to pick which one starts by holding down a buttonafter a bout is won  "
I probably should not have quoted you there but that was what came to mind when reading you post. 

Imagine losing a match and seeing Zangief do this:

#12 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -

I would like for fighting game elitists to stop bitching that the games don't evolve then try and re-categorize fighting games that actually try something different. You know, "Smash Bros isn't a real fighting game, pyah hah". Those retards.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19816 posts) -

Your suggestions are quite superficial, but whatever.

I want a revolution.  I want them to be simpler.  Street Fighter IV is not accessible like the PR would want you to believe, unless their idea of accessible is you could be a button masher facing against another button masher and have a minimal amount of fun.  The timing is incredibly difficult to get a hold of in SFIV.  And games like BlazBlue, where you need to memorize long ass combos to be efficient with a whole bunch of other game mechanics, are no fun for me.

I want fighting games to be easy to learn, yet hard to master.  That doesn't necessarily mean needing to have complex stuff inserted into them so the players need to read up on frame information for movements and attacks, and educate themselves on various matchups.

#14 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: The only 2 fighting games for the Wii both fit into your parameters.
#15 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19816 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

" I would like for fighting game elitists to stop bitching that the games don't evolve then try and re-categorize fighting games that actually try something different. You know, "Smash Bros isn't a real fighting game, pyah hah". Those retards. "

You realize you're describing Jeff Gerstmann's opinion towards Smash Bros. there, don't you (which, I suppose, is not bad)?  I like the idea behind Smash Bros., but I consider more of a mindless fighting game than a "real" one because of the chance factor of it.  No fighting game includes the level of luck that is included in Smash Bros., which makes it so that you can lose and it not being because you were worst than the opponent, but because luck was on the opponent's side.

Edit: Well, I said the problem with Smash Bros. and I assume you're talking about TvC for the 2nd game?  Well, that's not true.  In all vs. games, including Tatsunoko, there are intense combo strings that need to be memorized if you want to be efficient.
#16 Posted by L33tfella_H (925 posts) -

High School Students fighting each other while looking Kawaii ^___^ as hell.*

* I want Rival Schools 3 damnit!

#17 Posted by ninjakiller (3428 posts) -

Peaceful conflict resolution mode: where you sit down with your opponent and a counselor and work out your differences is a peaceful and adult manner without resorting to violence or aggression. 

#18 Posted by Diamond (8678 posts) -
@harinosho: You should check out an Xbox 1 game called Tao Feng, wasn't very good but had features 1 and 3 you ask for.

Personally I feel pretty OK about the kind of fighting games we have today.  We could use better training modes, more extra modes (like Soul Calibur).  Character creation is fun (SC3 and SC4).  I like the learning curve of games like Street Fighter and Tekken.  I like it when there's a motivation to keep playing against the AI (because none of my real life friends can compete with me in fighting games, while online is still a brutal challenge most of the time).  Character unlocks are kind of annoying, there should be other motivating factors.
#19 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @ryanwho said:

" I would like for fighting game elitists to stop bitching that the games don't evolve then try and re-categorize fighting games that actually try something different. You know, "Smash Bros isn't a real fighting game, pyah hah". Those retards. "

You realize you're describing Jeff Gerstmann's opinion towards Smash Bros. there, don't you (which, I suppose, is not bad)?  I like the idea behind Smash Bros., but I consider more of a mindless fighting game than a "real" one because of the chance factor of it.  No fighting game includes the level of luck that is included in Smash Bros., which makes it so that you can lose and it not being because you were worst than the opponent, but because luck was on the opponent's side.  Edit: Well, I said the problem with Smash Bros. and I assume you're talking about TvC for the 2nd game?  Well, that's not true.  In all vs. games, including Tatsunoko, there are intense combo strings that need to be memorized if you want to be efficient. "
Jeff is absolutely a fighting game elitist. He doesn't like the versus games either. I know he's a popular guy and all but people like him are what keep fighting games from being more accessible. And no, you don't need to memorize combo strings to be proficient in the game. Its there, but not required to win a fight. If you're looking for a fighting game that puts you and someone like Jeff on equal standing that's just not going to happen. There will always be exploits expert players can master and they'll kick your ass every time. Even in Smash Bros.
#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:  Well fight on the most neutral stage, turn off items, and get two reaaally skilled players and it becomes a pretty great fighter. There are techniques and skills to master at the high levels, yet someone at the lower levels can skill execute all the moves, it's just how you use them that takes the mastery. This is why Smash Bros totally fits what you said you wanted. 

Personally, what I want in fighting games is more crazy, please. It's already one of the more ridiculous genres in gaming, so I love it when people take it a notch too far. Smash Bros is nuts, or more traditionally, I wanna see more MvC2 style madness. I don't care about balancing or tiers. That stuff is for nerds and losers anyway, I just wanna see solid snake summon a mech to fight iron man, who just lasered the shit outta mega man, and in the background the dog from Duck Hunt is laughing... or something.  

I just want crazy screen filling supers, tons and tons of characters, and just full on insanity. That's when I have the most fun with fighting games. The only fighting games I ever got technical over was DOA3-4, those had some fun combos, and they aren't too hard to execute.
#21 Edited by ryanwho (12012 posts) -

Really I just want the next evolution in Power Stone. I liked the road they were going down, and there's a lot that could be improved on continuing down that path. Environmental interaction really makes the game pop and there's so much more that could be done in that regard. I also think something like Budokai Tenakichi (which I mostly admire in concept, not execution) could be really cool if it wasn't hampered down to the parameters of an established universe. That's what's keeping that IP from evolving, they can't go beyond what happened in the show.

#22 Posted by NTM (8331 posts) -
@harinosho said:
"I had a thought about what I would like to see in fighting games, which i have yet to see and since im a fan of the genre. Besides tekken,  I hate it due to my ass keeps getting kicked... freakin air juggles..  (maybe im just not looking hard enough to find these features.)  Anyway:  My additions:  1.  weak pose when a certain amount of power is depleted.  2. Personal character stage  introductions. (eg street fighter: if chun li is help[ing some in the background and takes notice you coming along then battle starts.)  3 Body scars (like bushido blade or art of fighting)  "

I like the weak pose idea. If you really think about it, if the game has balanced characters than there shouldn't be any cheap moments as to when it comes to a persons health being depleted.
#23 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4745 posts) -
@ryanwho:
 I would not say Jeff is a fighting game elitist, he does like mortal kombat after all.
#24 Posted by DanielJW (4929 posts) -
@Rallier said:
#25 Posted by FesteringNeon (2227 posts) -

A remake of Bloody Roar....... /thread

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19816 posts) -
@ryanwho: Actually, yes.  What I like about fighting games is facing other people, people that are good.  To be good, you need to memorize those combo strings.  If you don't, you'll not be as efficient as you could be, and since there are no fighting game systems like Focus Attacks or Barrier Bursts (except for the Baroque) in that game, the combos are all you have at your arsenal.  That along with matchup knowledge.  Maybe facing casuals without having deep knowledge of the game could be fun, but going against people who are very interested and dedicated to the game is no fun without you yourself being dedicated.

@XII_Sniper: No, I know very much about the Smash Bros. scene.  Actually, I use to be a very active member of AllisBrawl and use to face tons of matches.  It's not until I got into SFIV that I realized how flawed SSBB was as a fighting game.  I used to main Sonic, and that relates directly to your argument that "balancing is for nerds".  What the hell do you mean?  So that means you had no problems with the 1887s in Modern Warfare 2 because they were crazy and over powered?  Most of the people who play fighting games seek balance because without it, it's extremely boring and stupid.  That's why people complain about Sagat and initially complained about Zangief in SFIV.  SSBB is not balanced at all, Sonic is mostly useful when items are present because of his speed.  And that adds another layer of stupidity: the need for items to be present for the characters to actually make sense.  Wario's swallowing move... King Dedede's possibility of throwing an item with his special down move... those are the things that make SSBB a "non fighting game" fighting game.
#27 Edited by Clinkz (1116 posts) -

1. 4 attack buttons. (Blazblue, Melty Blood,  Tatsunoko vs Capcom, etc)
I'm sick of games like street fighter where anyone without a stick gets pummeled to the ground. Without a 3rd punch button on our pad, we are forced to use the bumpers. Games like Blazblue make it AMAZINGLY precise when using an xbox 360 controller because it only has 4 attacks: light, medium, heavy, drive.
2. ALL games should require combos. 
Contrary to belief, I love high stringing combos. Not infinite ones like MVC2 but just 10-15 ones that look like you know what the hell you're doing. Cast aside all that street fighter 4 frame counting bs and make it easier.
3. Defense meters.
I know games have been incorporating this. (not street fighter 4 lol!!!) In turn this makes for games to be all about the offense for instance in blazblue when you back up too much you take double damage and your guard can be broken. I hate playing guiles or balrogs in SF4 because all they do is camp.

This may sound like I'm ranting about SF4 SUX LOL!!! and blazblue is the best!!! But no I own them both, I have fun with them both I'm just giving my comments.

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19816 posts) -
@Clinkz said:
"  2. ALL games should require combos.  Contrary to belief, I love high stringing combos. Not infinite ones like MVC2 but just 10-15 ones that look like you know what the hell you're doing. Cast aside all that street fighter 4 frame counting bs and make it easier. 

3. Defense meters. I know games have been incorporating this. (not street fighter 4 lol!!!) In turn this makes for games to be all about the offense for instance in blazblue when you back up too much you take double damage and your guard can be broken. I hate playing guiles or balrogs in SF4 because all they do is camp. "
I'll agree that combos could be a valued implementation if timing wasn't a big part of them, but they usually are.  And you''e singling out SFIV, but BlazBlue also has some intense frame counting action and you need to have precise timing for the combos, especially Bang Shishigami's.

And for the 3rd point; it's pretty well done in BlazBlue, except that all of the systems piling on that concept such as Burst Cancels make it way too complex.  I enjoy when the game is all about the offense, but there's also a certain strategy on being defensive and you trying to pierce the opponents defense and destroying him.  It would have to be a careful balance of the two, and not just reckless offensive.
#29 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (825 posts) -

I want to see a mode where one person can play as a huge boss that's in the background of the stage, and attacks by having their hands come to the front or with lasers and falling rocks and such, like an old school game. The other player would be a a normal fighter that has to do something special to hurt the boss, like hit the hands or knock the rocks back. Also, after using a certain number of attacks or attack of a certain strength, some vulnerable part of the boss might come to the foreground to be attacked, so they couldn't just rely on spam.

#30 Posted by xCPx_Bebi_Primo (252 posts) -

I want to see the next Tekken/DOA game use the new NATAL technology. That would be so bad ass. Because then your fighter would have YOUR fighting stance, or vice versa if you wish. Like, in Tekken, Dragunov is my main stay, so I would stand in his stance. This tech would also, kinda, teach you to use the moves your character does. 

Another thing would be a first person view!

#31 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4995 posts) -
@Rallier said:
Yes! 

I had to teach myself how to play SFIV because all it told me was what directions to push. I do that my looking at the damn action list, Capcom.
#32 Posted by habster3 (3618 posts) -

Sackboy needs to be the final boss, and he needs to be extremely tough, and after you beat him you unlock him, and you will have an advantage over EVERYONE. Oh, and struggle moments like the ones from MKvDCU should be included.

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Eh I never played much brawl. Other than Snake, isn't wasn't as good as Melee. That was where the real fun was.  

And yeah I love Modern Warfare 2, even if the akimbo 1887s were overpowered, you could just counteract that by sniping them from a distance. Every strategy has a counter. But that game is still absolutely nuts. It's the craziest shooter I've played. And that's why I love it. I like me crazy games. Balancing everything makes it boring in my opinion, not the other way around. That's why I don't even play a lot of SFIV... everyone feels kindof the same to me. 

Also tiers and balances are stupid, I've seen Dans beat Sagats, a servbot take a sentinel... that stuff doesn't matter, it's all in the player's skill. Tiers are just a way of complaining about loosing against someone if you ask me. Or just letting weaker players have a chance against better ones. 
#34 Edited by DJL (198 posts) -

I wish Street Fighter games would do what Soul Calibur games do and show you what moves a character can pull off (in training mode I believe.) 

I've recently been trying out Street Fighter games for the first time recently (Alpha 2 and Super Street Fighter 2: New Challengers both on Wii VC) and I am having a hard time discovering new moves, and therefore having a hard time getting good combos going. I'm decent at Alpha 2, but I always get my ass handed to me in Super Street Fighter 2: New Challengers. 

#35 Posted by XxBarretxX (321 posts) -
@Rallier said:
Your fault if you suck :D
#36 Posted by Bombs_Away (1049 posts) -

Id like fighting games with some more realism...Like a mix between UFC and Tekken. And some epic battles, going on for like 30mins or an hour. Plus online free for alls, like something out of The Warriors. Something mental like MAG, 256 people online, just beating the shit out of each other. Last man standing, once it starts on one enters, people just lose. Lasting hours...the last 2, so weak that they can hardly swing a punch.

And then if they combined that with Natal somehow...well wow...

#37 Posted by harinosho (668 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @harinosho: You should check out an Xbox 1 game called Tao Feng, wasn't very good but had features 1 and 3 you ask for.  Personally I feel pretty OK about the kind of fighting games we have today.  We could use better training modes, more extra modes (like Soul Calibur).  Character creation is fun (SC3 and SC4).  I like the learning curve of games like Street Fighter and Tekken.  I like it when there's a motivation to keep playing against the AI (because none of my real life friends can compete with me in fighting games, while online is still a brutal challenge most of the time).  Character unlocks are kind of annoying, there should be other motivating factors. "
thanks for the info, now i just have to find the game around here....

another 2 things that would be cool in a fighting game.. giving your opponent the fighter and insults during some messed up counter (eg, SFIV If you just barely dodged an ultra, you retaliate by whatever move then you rcharacter would say "F***uuuuuuuCK YoooooUUUUU!!" ... 

that looks so good in my head..
#38 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8504 posts) -

Fighting DOA / Tobal style instead of 2D Rock Paper Scissors.

#39 Posted by clubsandwich (3965 posts) -

more tits, less fighting.

#40 Edited by AnnouncerGXZ (910 posts) -

yeah injured pose would be cool when hp is low. or make slow movement when hp low.

i would want no rounds. only 1 round battle cause this is not the ring. this is the street. no round. and i would want hp to be like 4x as much as tekken hp capacity. tekken hp capacity is too low. so lets jus say 4 rounds of tekken's round put it in as one round in a new fighting game.

#41 Posted by Atlas (2564 posts) -

I'd like to see someone give me the money and resources to make the fighting game that I have made detailed design plans for. It's time someone made a truly fresh, new and exciting fighting game. BlazBlue doesn't count because the only they made that game is because they lost the licensing rights to Guilty Gear and had to make something new.

#42 Posted by AnnouncerGXZ (910 posts) -
@Atlas said:
" I'd like to see someone give me the money and resources to make the fighting game that I have made detailed design plans for. It's time someone made a truly fresh, new and exciting fighting game. BlazBlue doesn't count because the only they made that game is because they lost the licensing rights to Guilty Gear and had to make something new. "
how did they lost lisece to make guilty gear? so no new guilty gear games now?
#43 Posted by Atlas (2564 posts) -
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
" @Atlas said:
" I'd like to see someone give me the money and resources to make the fighting game that I have made detailed design plans for. It's time someone made a truly fresh, new and exciting fighting game. BlazBlue doesn't count because the only they made that game is because they lost the licensing rights to Guilty Gear and had to make something new. "
I don't know the details exactly, but Arc System Works lost the rights to the Guilty Gear franchise, which is now owned by Sega because they acquired the rights to it when they merged with Sammy, and so they went independent and self-published BlazBlue as a reboot and spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. If there are any more Guilty Gear games, they will be strictly handled by Sega, and it's very unlikely that Arc System Works will have anything to do with it.
#44 Posted by harinosho (668 posts) -
@Atlas said:
" @AnnouncerGXZ said:
" @Atlas said:
I don't know the details exactly, but Arc System Works lost the rights to the Guilty Gear franchise, which is now owned by Sega because they acquired the rights to it when they merged with Sammy, and so they went independent and self-published BlazBlue as a reboot and spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. If there are any more Guilty Gear games, they will be strictly handled by Sega, and it's very unlikely that Arc System Works will have anything to do with it. "
i can see it now.. sonic vs sol badguy, and really retarded stage design.

*advertisements reading* 

"AWESOME NEW FIGHTING SYSTEM ALLOWING TEAM BATTLES THAT ARE EPIC AWESOMELY AWESOME WITH VIOLENCE AND SPEED"

man.. I'd so hate that game yet still play it to see who would win
#45 Posted by PenguinDust (12792 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" more tits, less fighting. "
Tecmo/Koei is on board with your line of thinking.  Hence Dead or Alive: Paradise for the PSP.  It's like DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball but without the intrusion of competition.  

I guess one thing I'd like to see in a fighting game, and I may be alone in this, is a story.  A single-player adventure that takes a character along a path each leading to various stages for fighting.  Soul Calibur 2 had elements of a good idea back then, but nothing seems to have been refined in fighting games since.  If animes, as ridiculous as some of them are, can create a story that involves match-up after match-up then I'd have hoped some developer would try the same by now.  And, the crappy Mortal Kombat Konquest modes don't count any more than the Tekken Force modes do. 
#46 Posted by armaan8014 (5766 posts) -

Fights

#47 Posted by Trilogy (2705 posts) -

A mode that is going to train me how to actually play the game competitively online. 

The barrier to entry in fighting games is what keeps me away from them. I have a deep respect for the competitive nature of fighting games but it's a respect from a distance.

#48 Posted by ArrenDusk (88 posts) -

More customization, at least enough to be able to recreate real or characters from other franchises going at it. (yeah even more than, say, Soul Calibur's)

#49 Posted by clubsandwich (3965 posts) -
@PenguinDust: I was joking. :P
#50 Posted by PenguinDust (12792 posts) -
@clubsandwich:   Yeah, I got that.  Still doesn't change the fact that Tecmo/Koei is publishing another jiggle game.  I wonder if it will have one-handed play like Bayonetta?  Since, it's on a portable, you could take it anywhere.  Say, perhaps, the bathroom...