What would you want in another WWII game?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

The era is over-saturated, but if another high-profile WWII game were made what would you want from it that would be unique? I would like a more story driven game from the point of view of a teenager in the Hitler Youth.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Modern warfare.

Ransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ransom

parallel universe ww2 with ufos, lazer rifles, doomsday satellites, and nazi moonbase raids

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I would want a promise that it will be the LAST world war game ever made... EVER!

*disclaimer: If a World War 3 occurs I will not object to a WWIII game*

almak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By almak
EpicSteve said:
The era is over-saturated, but if another high-profile WWII game were made what would you want from it that would ... [more]
I'd play that game. But seeing how Six Days in Fallujah turned out that's not likely to happen any time soon.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain

Honestly, theres still more fun to be had with WWII.

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty had the ideas nailed, but it was shit. But the fact I still wanted to play it says something about the ideas behind it, Nazis invading NY? Yes please. Other alternate history stuff certainly wouldn't go amiss, combine it with mythology and you have a winner! (Unless of course you can't make a game worth a damn, here's looking at the devs for Legendary and other crappy titles like that)

The other avenue is RPG or Tactical. Personally, i'd like to see a WWII game in the vein of Valkyria Chronicles, or another isometric one like Grom, or some more Commandos games.

Generic WWII FPS games on the other hand? Hell no. No more, I can't take them anymore.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Endogene

Death camps.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422
Endogene said:
Death camps.
Agreed. Secondly, never for another to be made, FPS at least, but I guess they are kind of mass in every genre too.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve
pause422 said:
Endogene said: Death camps. Agreed. Secondly, never for another to be made, FPS at least, but I guess they are ... [more]

A stealth game were you play as a Jew escaping a camp?
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
EpicSteve said:
pause422 said: Endogene said: Death camps. Agreed. Secondly, never for another to be made, FPS at least, but I guess ... [more]

The only difference between this idea, and Prisoner of War, is that Prisoner of War wouldn't be banned/highly/extremely/INCREDIBLY controversial the world over.

Trust me, it isn't worth it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422
The_A_Drain said:
EpicSteve said: pause422 said: Endogene said: Death camps. Agreed. Secondly, never for another to be made, FPS at least, but ... [more]
Controversy is always worth it. Fuck anyone who cares about it.
bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bulletbeast

to be honest this genre has been milked to death. game companies need to move on. However if another ww2 was to be made then how bout a Hitman/Fallout 3  type game in which ur a jew escaping the concentration camps, using disguises, bribes contacts and gathering equipment to escape.
Cool idea? or too soon

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
pause422 said:
The_A_Drain said: EpicSteve said: pause422 said: Endogene said: Death camps. Agreed. Secondly, never for another to be made, FPS at ... [more]
While personally I agree, no business would be willing to take the immense risk this game would present.

Besides, the setting alone offers no immidiete advantages over Prisoner of War's setting, so the controversy would be needless.

Whether or not games are mature enough as a medium to handle subjects like this is a whole nother discussion, but if I was forced to take a stance, based on your response of 'fuck everybody else' i'd say no, the industry doesn't have the right to handle horrific events like the holocaust, it would be disrespectful.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MeierTheRed

What i would want for a WWII game is to go away have a nice vacation for 10 to 15 years, and then maybe come back and actually impress me or make me feel like i haven´t seen it before. 

Cause lets face it WWII games are played out, we all know the damn history and how it whet down. And if i was a veteran or a German i would fucking hate that they just keep churning out these shit games.
nogginbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By nogginbot

egg and chips

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By atejas

An RPG in that time period would be interesting, but it could never work properly because Hitler is taboo even though Stalin and Mao are perfectly fine.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
NogginBot said:
egg and chips
I asked for egg and chips, not egg and crisps!
nogginbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nogginbot

suit you sir!

but to be honest, im getting pretty tired with wwII games. kinda looking forward to the xbla 1943 thing. meh i dont know what i want :'(

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust
Ransom said:
parallel universe ww2 with ufos, lazer rifles, doomsday satellites, and nazi moonbase raids
I agree with this idea.  I remember seeing some game on the PS2 (I don't recall the name) where in the trailer for the game there were Nazis with giant robots.  Big ugly hunking mechs on the battlefield and the whole scene was like off a grainy war documentary.  I'd like to see some sort of alternate future deal where robots and alien technology are part of the history.  Maybe, following the failed Martian invasion from the War of the World book, humanity reverse engineers the Martian walkers.  Another possibility is that the space craft that crashed in Roswell was not the first one.  Or, maybe someone went back in time to kill Einstein...hmm.  Either, way a fresh and fantastic take on the genre would be nice.  Look at Resistance but with regular Nazis instead of monsters and the weapons shouldn't be so futuristic, just semi-futuristic.

EDIT: Found the video trailer.  It was called Ring of Red.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By freezerr

I don't remember playing any games about the North African / Italian push by the Allies. That could be very interesting, either as a FPS or RTS (or maybe even a 3rd person squad based game).

Also, it's probably taboo, but I'd love to play an RTS/Grand Strategy game as Japan in the 1930's and 40's, trying to control East Asia and expand before the US brought the hammer down.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain

freezerr:

I beleive there are a couple. Desert Rats VS Afrika Korp springs to mind. And a couple others I forgot the names off that focus on the italians.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus
If it looks good, I'll play it. I don't get all nitpicky and refuse to play a game based on it's setting.
nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nexas

An alternate history were the Axis invade America.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By mathewballard

How about where you play as a Nazi or another soldier from one of the other axis countries and the only purpose is you surviving until the war ends. Don't change the outcome of the war, everything will happen as it happened in history. It would be just about you making it to the end and getting back home.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pweidman

^^^Turning Point: Fall of Liberty is based on just that premise...not very well received though btw.  Anyway what I want is for them to cease.  WWII is just played out.  WaW was a chore for me to finish....but maybe it was a combo of the tired CoD gameplay as well as setting.  My preference would be for combat games set in the modern day or some place and time in the future.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Gundams vs Nazis

You just try to tell me you wouldn't buy it

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By mathewballard
WitchHunter_Z said:
Gundams vs NazisYou just try to tell me you wouldn't buy it
I won't buy any game that has Gundams vs ANYTHING.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Playing on the axis side would be cool, you don't need to be a die hard Nazi, or a Nazi for that matter. I think playing as a Fallschirmjager in the Invasion of Norway would be cool.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By subject2change

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty but actually a GOOD game out of it. The story was there as it was an interesting concept and was a new take on it; make more things with original stories from real events but make sure the game doesn't blow donkey nuts.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By fillmoejoe

What else is left to do in WW2? There have been so games that have been released, I don't think there's anything left. Saboteur looks interesting to me but the WW2 setting is done for me.

ZombieKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By ZombieKitty

I would say.... it not taking place in WWII

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King

I've brought this up before, and I'll say it again: a WW2 shooter that starts out with incredible realism and detail, but slowly becomes more and more insane. Example: it ends with Hitler trying to nuke the sun, only for super muscley soldiers to come in and beat him to death with the nuke. Also, Hitler is now a velociraptor.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pazy

I want to play as a german, from the time before the war to after it and having to deal with the ramifications of being forced to kill for something he never beleived in. 

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By jasondaplock

I want to play The Sims as a Jew during the purges in Germany. You would have to build panic rooms and facades into your house, keeping up appearances without attracting too much attention. The job choices are limited to freedom fighter roles and smuggling goods into concentration camps. I personally think The Sims should take place in more confrontational atmospheres regardless, but that's just me.

Either that or a Dungeon Keeper-esque game where you play as Hitler building secret underground bases full of traps and soldiers to thwart American crack commandoes. B.J. Blazkowicz from Wolf3d would pretty much have to be the final boss.
grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By grainger

i want one played from the perspective of the germans, every so often in life you should experience defeat and a game like that would be the cream of it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust
Video_Game_King said:
I've brought this up before, and I'll say it again: a WW2 shooter that starts out with incredible realism and ... [more]
I'd buy that game, see the movie, own the licensed lunch box and have a picture of the bouncy breasted fräulein who betrays the Fuhrer for the love of the hero tattooed on my ass!  Get me that game! 
killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By killdave

Hmm, well ALL bolt action rifles would need a chest shot to kill in one shot.

Oh wait that was Cod5 W@W :p

Thank you treyarch ! ...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King
PenguinDust said:
Video_Game_King said: I've brought this up before, and I'll say it again: a WW2 shooter that starts out with incredible ... [more]
No, Hitler betrays Eva Braun, mainly because she's selling nuclear secrets to the Japanese, who then sell it to America, who then sell it back to Germany.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust
Video_Game_King said:
PenguinDust said: Video_Game_King said: I've brought this up before, and I'll say it again: a WW2 shooter that starts out ... [more]
Ah, so it's a SquareEnix game.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#40  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd love to see another Silent Storm game, or even a revamp of the original.  My only request would be for more interesting characters and interaction between them.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King
PenguinDust said:
Video_Game_King said: PenguinDust said: Video_Game_King said: I've brought this up before, and I'll say it again: a WW2 shooter that ... [more]
No, it's more of a Konami/Midway collaboration.