• 167 results
#151 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

I still can't get over the pricing for 360 hard drives.

#152 Edited by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Paying to play online. If it can be free on PC, free on PS3, it should be free on Xbox. Paying for all that extra crap I'm fine with, but simple online play should be free.

From a different perspective, the most biggest scams in video games probably took place in EVE Online.

#153 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

Giantbomb Premium Memberships.

Boom.

#154 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

Online passes that prevent people from getting an online game used. Timed exclusives (Dawngaurd!).

#155 Posted by Surllio (28 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

@falserelic said:

@WilliamHenry said:

@falserelic said:

Gamestop is another one I don't like the way they do business.

Thats fine, I don't like how they push stuff on their customers either, but how is Gamestop a scam?

You trade in games and not get much out of it. I had a few people wouldn't let me buy a new game, unless I had pre-ordered something. I've bought games that didn't work tried to get my money back, but gamestop wouldn't let me.

They have to turn a profit on the games you trade in. If they gave you what the games were worth, they wouldn't make any money. I don't see how them refusing to sell you a game is a scam. It sucks, but how is it a scam? If that actually happened, which I don't fully believe. I also don't believe you saying they wouldn't take back a defective game. Last I checked, they have a seven day return window.

Surprisingly, it happens. A LOT. The store down where I live use to push used games to the point of ringing them up after being told no, and telling you they couldn't sell new copies outside of the first month of release unless it was pre-ordered. A lot of it has to do with how corporate pushes things and who is in charge of the store. The new manager down here doesn't do a lot of that stuff, but several of the ones before were bad about it. I got told by a former manager that they got bonuses based on Pre-orders, magazine subscriptions, and a few other factors.

#156 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

@Jeust said:

For me the biggest scams are made by Capcom. Releasing a game at $60/70, and after some months releasing an updated version of said game at $40, and then releasing yet another update for 40$ some more months down the line, rinse and repeat.

You could say the same for all the COD games and almost all of the North American sport franchises, although replace a few months with one year, and $40 with $60.

#157 Posted by lavaman77 (565 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Skin packs, DLC that's barely a hour long or pre order bonus nonsense.
#158 Posted by Jeust (10857 posts) -

@fini_fly said:

@Jeust said:

For me the biggest scams are made by Capcom. Releasing a game at $60/70, and after some months releasing an updated version of said game at $40, and then releasing yet another update for 40$ some more months down the line, rinse and repeat.

You could say the same for all the COD games and almost all of the North American sport franchises, although replace a few months with one year, and $40 with $60.

I could say the same thing about the sports games, but not about COD. In COD there is always a different single player campaign, and the multiplayer has some inovations to it. I think it is significantly different from the previous iteration.

#159 Posted by Gladiator_Games (447 posts) -
@NegativeCero
Limited editions. For what is included in them, most games don't warrant them on top of the regular version. At least I don't think so, but then again I only own like two
I dont mind em as long as the swag is good - ie gta 4
#160 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Nothing is a scam when it's optional, with that said, I think paying to play online ontop of a pay to play online service is fucked up. I know it's a counter measure for used game sales but I think it's the wrong way to go about that situation, but thankfully for me I couldn't give 2 shits about gaming online.

#161 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@Damian said:

XBL.

The service itself or the fact that you have to pay to play online?

The latter.

The service and overall value are reasonable to me (for some other sucker to pay). I just want to use the product I purchased as intended. They can keep all their other bells and whistles like Facebook and Netflix behind the golden paywall. But I say let the publishers run their own accursed servers and let me play my damn games.

#162 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Xbox Live points purchasing in Canada still has the 500, 1000, 1500 etc. points selection. You cannot buy 800 or 1200 MS points. It's just needless smarmy wallet fingering on the part of Microsoft.

#163 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

Preorder bonuses that make a difference to gameplay.

#164 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12107 posts) -

I mean, Gizmondo was an actual scam done by the Swedish Mafia that resulted in several legitimate game developers being bought and then sunk.

But if we mean the petty, bitchy issues we have with things costing money, Capcom's DLC and "Updated Edition" practices are shady as all hell and the only way I can feel good about myself is the knowledge that I didn't buy the vanilla versions of Street Fighter IV and MVC3. Also I'm totally not buying the SxT DLC, but that's mostly because I'm done with that game.

#165 Posted by Max422 (32 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

"Free To Play" games. They're a plague that needs to be wiped out.

There's a few good F2P games like TF2 or DOTA 2, the real disaster are "Pay To Win" games - although many F2P games will turn out to be P2W type, but not all of them are plague.

#166 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

DLC being announced pre-release. Get off you're lazy money grubbing asses and put it in the retail.

#167 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Subscriptions for video game sites and how much of a pain it is to unsubscribe

#168 Posted by Maginnovision (487 posts) -

I don't know of any scam really. I think most of you have no clue what that word even means. You paying money to get what you were told you were paying for is not a scam. Ever.