Posted by Brad (3009 posts) -
 How to make it pretty.
It's Friday, and here we are, revisiting this week's hot-button game: Modern Warfare 2. Wait, calm yourself! This time it's all business. 

This time, it's the finalized hardware requirements for the PC version, which Activision has just released to allay any confusion. And here they are. 

• OS:  Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported) 
  • Processor:  Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported 
  • Memory:  1 GB RAM
  • Graphics:  256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600XT or better
  • DirectX®:  Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c
  • Hard Drive:  12GB of free hard drive space
  • Sound:  100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
  • Internet:  Broadband connection required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet Connection required for activation 

Excitable readers' attention may be drawn to the last item, which seems to imply that you'll have to go online and validate your ownership to play the game. Whether that includes the single-player campaign remains to be seen, and will depend on the particulars of the IWNet service

So hey, uh, how about that service? After a few days to digest the news about the new multiplayer setup, are you feeling any better about that stuff?
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (3009 posts) -
 How to make it pretty.
It's Friday, and here we are, revisiting this week's hot-button game: Modern Warfare 2. Wait, calm yourself! This time it's all business. 

This time, it's the finalized hardware requirements for the PC version, which Activision has just released to allay any confusion. And here they are. 

• OS:  Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported) 
  • Processor:  Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported 
  • Memory:  1 GB RAM
  • Graphics:  256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600XT or better
  • DirectX®:  Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c
  • Hard Drive:  12GB of free hard drive space
  • Sound:  100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
  • Internet:  Broadband connection required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet Connection required for activation 

Excitable readers' attention may be drawn to the last item, which seems to imply that you'll have to go online and validate your ownership to play the game. Whether that includes the single-player campaign remains to be seen, and will depend on the particulars of the IWNet service

So hey, uh, how about that service? After a few days to digest the news about the new multiplayer setup, are you feeling any better about that stuff?
Staff
#2 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -

Too bad nobody wants to play it on PC anymore, HUH GUYS?

#3 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -

never have i loved my console more than i do right now...phew!

#4 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Thats a lot of requirements.

#5 Posted by Snail (8605 posts) -

I can run this. Not that I want to anymore.

#6 Posted by Noodles (539 posts) -

I don't think I'll be able to swallow my ire long enough to purchase and play.

sadface.jpg

#7 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Not as heavy as I thought it would be. I'll be picking this up some time or another (in other words, next year).

#8 Posted by Kiemoe (1055 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" never have i loved my console more than i do right now...phew! "
same here
#9 Posted by TheLegendofLuke (563 posts) -

Shucks, I'm running 95, looks like it'll be the xbox version for me.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Guess my 95% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card won't work.

#11 Posted by sandal_hat (97 posts) -

Man that is pretty lax on the min specs thought it would be higher. Oh well not going to buy it anyway.

#12 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -

I'm definatly good on the requirements, but i still don't think I'll be picking this up until it either supports dedicated servers or can be found on the super cheap.

#13 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -

how much higher then cod4mw1 is this?

#14 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -
@TheLegendofLuke said:
" Shucks, I'm running 95, looks like it'll be the xbox version for me. "
#15 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Wait no Windows 95 support? This is a disgrace, let's start a petition!

#16 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@TheLegendofLuke said:
" Shucks, I'm running 95, looks like it'll be the xbox version for me. "
damn it you beat me to it...
#17 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

Umm, those requirements aren't that bad. A lot of us are used to the online activation stuff. And concerning IWnet, it'll be judged when it comes out. As long as we can still have hardcore mode on the servers i'll be fine.

#18 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -
@rectum_abominae said:
" Too bad nobody wants to play it on PC anymore, HUH GUYS? "
naa.
#19 Edited by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
@Kiemoe said:

" @Akeldama said:

same here "

Huh? I don't get it. A short list of components that go into a PC are enough to scare you? You've never loved your console more than ever because of the year old components that are probably already in the computer you used to type that message and would surely be in any decent PC you could buy today? :P
#20 Posted by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -

I'll just reiterate what I said earlier - people need to just chill out and see how the IWNet service pans out before jumping at Activision's throat. I'm personally looking forward to it since I find server browsing to be more of a hassle.

BTW those are almost the same minimum requirements as COD4, except the connection part. I wonder what the recommended specs are this time around.

#21 Posted by TheHT (11253 posts) -

cod4 was amazing, i certainly won't be missing out on this one. never played the multiplayer from cod4 anyways.

#22 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -

"So hey, uh, how about that service? After a few days to digest the news about the new multiplayer setup, are you feeling any better about that stuff?"

No not really in fact all the hate being thrown around has really made the whole situation seem a lot worse, people just wanna play the game the way they have been able to for years now is that so terrible?

#23 Posted by Nomin (977 posts) -

For a glorified rail shooter, I would say that is quite a barrier for its entry into the mainstream.

#24 Edited by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -
@Brad said:

"Excitable readers' attention may be drawn to the last item, which seems to imply that you'll have to go online and validate your ownership to play the game. Whether that includes the single-player campaign remains to be seen, and will depend on the particulars of the IWNet service."

Since it uses VAC as it's anti-cheating software, I'd imagine it'll have to be activated through steam, and I'd assume that's for online & offline - I can't think of a game that has steam activation that has also had a non-steam option for offline play (except in cases where steam activation has been added post release).

Although personally I love retail games that have steam activation. It means I have a boxed copy & don't have to wait to download the game on my pitifully poor internet connection, yet at the same time I have the automatic updates and the ability to redownload it should I uninstall it & lose the disk.
#25 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

Well this isn't surprising. IW has been treating the PC like shit for years and this doesn't surprise me at all. So once again, fuck you Robert "fourzerogofuckyourself" Bowling. PC gaming rocks, and it's sad how many people decided to jump on the bandwagon and throw shit at it.

#26 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -
@Killjoy said:
" I'll just reiterate what I said earlier - people need to just chill out and see how the IWNet service pans out before jumping at Activision's throat. I'm personally looking forward to it since I find server browsing to be more of a hassle.  BTW those are almost the same minimum requirements as COD4, except the connection part. I wonder what the recommended specs are this time around. "
they couldve had both.
#27 Posted by Dante_the_Jedi (326 posts) -

I am all meh about CoD:MW2 now.

#28 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -
@Nomin said:
" For a glorified rail shooter, I would say that is quite a barrier for its entry into the mainstream. "
I KNOW.  DUDE, I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE COD4 CAME OUT.  You have NO control over your guy.  At all.  Ever.  I HATED the part where you're on that helicopter in the mission to stop the nuke.  It provided me with no feeling of excitement.  Also, they pratcially aim FOR YOU on that part.  Sucks, man.  Glad you brought this up.
#29 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -

dear giantbomb - nobody is feeling better about the multiplayer situation. are you bloody stupid?

#30 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -
@mhkjtha: HAHAHAHAHA, you tell 'em.
#31 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -

the cod single player kind off is like a rail shooter considering how linear and scripted it is.

the only reason to buy them is the multiplayer

#32 Posted by Det1 (190 posts) -
@mhkjtha said:
" dear giantbomb - nobody is feeling better about the multiplayer situation. are you bloody stupid? "
well they'd like to make sure, I think.
I mean, IW needed to be pretty fucking thick headed to have put out this damn thing in the first place. And given their track record, it's only fair to think that there's the small chance that maybe this is what everyone wanted all along (not saying that it actually is what everyone wants, I think it's the worst move they could've pulled right next to "no multiplayer for PC version").
I still can't believe this though. I can just see bobby kotick sitting in a poorly lit room under a spotlight, leaning forward with his fingers joining, with a smile on his face...
#33 Posted by Milkman (16791 posts) -
@mhkjtha: I like how you commented on this story 4 different times already.
#34 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

People are still whining and bitching about no dedicated servers? Get over it. You're not going to change anything.

#35 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -
@mhkjtha said:
" the cod single player kind off is like a rail shooter considering how linear and scripted it is.  the only reason to buy them is the multiplayer "
What the fuck is the mutliplayer then?  An RTS?
#36 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -
@mhkjtha said:
"dear giantbomb - nobody is feeling better about the multiplayer situation. are you bloody stupid? "

What he said. But maybe a little nicer cause I love you Giant Bombs peoples.
#37 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @mhkjtha: I like how you commented on this story 4 different times already. "
thats great, here comes the 5th post
#38 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
"People are still whining and bitching about no dedicated servers? Get over it. You're not going to change anything. "

What was the purpose of that? Do you really think YOU'RE going to change anything by saying that? People will obviously continue to be angry and continue to vocalize their dissapointment with IW and Activision. I think if people are writing in a level-headed way this is entirely appropriate. What you are doing is helping to turn this into yet another flame enveloped page of nonsensical arguing. People are angry, get over it.
#39 Posted by Curufinwe (1265 posts) -
#40 Posted by Seedofpower (3929 posts) -

Those requirements arn't that bad. My old computer is able to run this game if this post is correct.

#41 Posted by NoK (308 posts) -
@dbz1995: Nah, thats nothing really.
#42 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

In this post I complain about dedicated servers because I'm a redundant sheep. Bah!

#43 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -
@mhkjtha said:
" @Killjoy said:
" I'll just reiterate what I said earlier - people need to just chill out and see how the IWNet service pans out before jumping at Activision's throat. I'm personally looking forward to it since I find server browsing to be more of a hassle.  BTW those are almost the same minimum requirements as COD4, except the connection part. I wonder what the recommended specs are this time around. "
they couldve had both. "
#44 Posted by hoyle1911 (13 posts) -

Hey Brad, you forgot the final requirement: 

Internet: bittorrent link to piratebay.org.  After the loss of dedicated servers plenty of miffed PC players will download the game instead of parting with $60.  Activision will have a self-fulfilling prophecy on its hands.  

#45 Edited by kwyee (234 posts) -

To me, that last point does  sounds like we'll need online activation for single player as well.  Sadness. 

But at least the system specs are pretty low, which is a relief.  CoD4 looked quite good even on my rapidly aging PC, probably because they had awesome normal maps.   
I also appreciate that they list the architecture in the CPU spec and not just the clock rate, as Gearbox did for Borderlands where they just listed "2 .4 Ghz or equivalent processor".  I mean, a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 is nothing compared to a 2.4 GHz Core 2. 

#46 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -
@Curufinwe:
That interview is downright perfect for the situation. Great find.
#47 Posted by Arucardo (28 posts) -

Oh no, what if my sound card is only 99% DirectX 9.0c compatible?

#48 Posted by Shibbxyz (285 posts) -
#49 Posted by mehteh (43 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
I feel sorry for you 
@Killjoy said:
"  I'm personally looking forward to it since I find server browsing to be more of a hassle.   "
yeh because hitting join button is such a hassle. I hope you dont consider yourself a PC gamer
#50 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -
@hoyle1911 said:
" Hey Brad, you forgot the final requirement: 

Internet: bittorrent link to piratebay.org.  After the loss of dedicated servers plenty of miffed PC players will download the game instead of parting with $60.  Activision will have a self-fulfilling prophecy on its hands.   "
You're damn right!  The revolution is at hand!  Cut down the old gods and overthrow the kings!  Blood will fill the aqueducts and the people shall bathe in tyrant's blood!