Whats a good step up from Risk?

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By papercut

My step dad has been play the same PC Risk game for about 10 years-ish now. I was thinking he need an upgrade, i just don't know what to get him. What does the GB community think? What should i get him?

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By BackpackKat

Civilization 4 is a really good  PC strategy game and you should be able to get it for cheap.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

Well, Amazon has the Complete Civilization IV pack which includes all the expansions for $37.00, which is a pretty sweet deal.  Civ is a turn based strategy game so it shouldn't be too much for your dad to handle as he expands to games with greater depth.  If you think he's ready for real time strategy then there are a lot of really cheap options available. 

1. Age of Empires Collector's Edition sells for $10.00 and includes Age 1 & 2 plus 2 expansions.  These games are great fun and not too difficult since they have good in-game tutorials.  They are older, too so they should run on just about any desktop purchased in the last 5 years.  I picked up my copy as an "implus buy" while in Wal-Mart.  Amazon also has a Age of Mythology pack out for $15.00 which includes the expansion if your dad's okay with something out of Clash of the Titans.
  2. Good old Games is a download PC game website which has some great real-time strategy games good and cheap.  The manuals are available for download after purchase, plus you might want to take a gander at GameFAQs for further game-play tips on the titles.  I suggest the following titles for $6.00 each. Empire Earth: Gold Edition, Seven Kingdoms 2, and The Nations: Gold Edition.
  3. Steam has some good offerings, too.  These are the latest in the RTS genre usually and can be more difficult than their predicessors. For this site, Company of Heroes may appeal to your father since it's more of a real-world setting or any of the Total War franchise games.  Empire: Total War is the latest I think and it covers the Napolionic Era.  Other games in the series cover other historical periods.  But for a more modern setting, there is World in Conflict.  Since these games are newer they aren't as cheaply priced as the older ones, but (for the most part) they aren't overpriced either.
The most direct relation to Risk are the boardgames Axis & Allies and Supremacy.  Axis & Allies was made into a PC title a while back but I haven't played and it got some pretty bad reviews due to the stupid AI.  Supremacy isn't even produced for table top play anymore, let alone jumping to the PC.  However, I would strongly recommend hunting down Supremacy from Ebay (or your local independent hobby shop) or picking up a copy of Axis and Allies from Toys-R-Us and playing them with a group of 4 some afternoon.