#103 Edited by dagas (2837 posts) -

Hard to choose only 5 but
1. Mass Effect
2. KotOR
3. FFVII
4. Dragon Age
5. KotOR II

although I'm not sure about he order.
I'd also like to get FFVIII, Chrona Trigger, FFVI, Persona 3/4, FFX, Star Ocean 2, Fallout 3, Vampire TM: Bloodlines and Skies of Arcadia on there, but there is no room =P

#104 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Persona 3: FES
4. The World Ends With You
5. Tales of Symphonia

I really need to play Final Fantasy VI, but i've been saying that for ages now. It's shameful.

#105 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -

1. Fallout 2 
2. Final Fantasy X  
3. Knights of the Old Republic 
4. Fallout 3 
5. Diablo

#106 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

5. Persona 4
4. Chrono Cross
3. Final Fantasy X
2. Chrono Trigger
1. RPG-7

ZING

#107 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" IMO its not a true RPG unless you control a PARTY, If its just one person you control its NOT A FUCKING RPG  Sorry, just my opinion. Probably because I grew up on the classic RPGs "
That's quite arbitrary of you.  

Since all true RPGs (the ones with paper and pencil that started all this) are primarily one player controlling one character, you could argue that controlling a single character that you identify with for the entire game is the purest type of RPG. 
#108 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
#109 Posted by KuwabaraTheMan (155 posts) -

1. Earthbound
2. Mother 3
3. Persona 4
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#110 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

@Vigilance:

Yes very arbitrary,
Again you guys of course are right, any Game where you Play the Role of a character is a RPG, Why not.....
So I'm going to update My favorite RPG to reflect your definition of an RPG:

- Under my definition:

"

1. Final Fantasy VI (III)
  2. Final FAntasy VII
  3. Super Mario RPG
  4. Suikoden 1 & 2
  5. Final Fantasy IV (II)
  6. Tales of Symphonia
 Then a bunch of others including Legend of Dragoon, Saga Frontier, Other Final Fantasys, Tales of Vesperia ect, ect... "
-Under your definition:
  1. TEKKEN story modes
  2. Super Mario 3
  3. GTA III
  4. Bonks Adventure
  5. Tiger Woods Golf
In all of these Games you Play the Role of a character, So they must be RPGs Right? 

My whole point here is that just because you play a role in a game doesnt make it an RPG,
If you notice 90% of all the replies to this thread fit MY definition of an RPG....

@KuwabaraTheMan said:
" 1. Earthbound 2. Mother 3 3. Persona 4 4. Final Fantasy IX 5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door "

@dbz1995 said:
" 5. Persona 4 4. Chrono Cross 3. Final Fantasy X 2. Chrono Trigger 1. RPG-7  ZING "

@Steve_C said:
" 1. Final Fantasy X 2. Final Fantasy IX3. Persona 3: FES4. The World Ends With You 5. Tales of Symphonia  I really need to play Final Fantasy VI, but i've been saying that for ages now. It's shameful. "

@Cerza said:
" 1: Chrono Trigger
2: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
3: Final Fantasy VI
4: Xenosaga
5: Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind "

@Genjai said:
" @Siris said:

" 1. Chrono Trigger 2. Chrono Trigger 3. Chrono Trigger 4. Chrono Trigger 5. Chrono Trigger "

Hahaha, you said it.  If I had to pick 2-5 there would be a lot that should be up there, but it would look something like:  2. Final Fantasy X 3. The Legend of Dragoon 4. Super Mario RPG 5. Final Fantasy VI (III)   Honorable mention goes to Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy VII, and Persona 4.  I presume we're not mentioning World of Warcraft. "

Not trying to fight about it, I just think that the term RPG is tossed onto games that are not actually RPGs
#111 Posted by zzZBibboZzz (147 posts) -

1. Oblivion 
2. Oblivion 
3. Oblivion 
4. Oblivion 
5. Oblivion    
#112 Posted by Majinken (136 posts) -

What about strategy RPGs? Eh...

1. Tales of Destiny (PS2)
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Diablo II
5. Baldur's Gate II

#113 Posted by Genjai (300 posts) -
@Siris said:

" 1. Chrono Trigger 2. Chrono Trigger 3. Chrono Trigger 4. Chrono Trigger 5. Chrono Trigger "

Hahaha, you said it.

If I had to pick 2-5 there would be a lot that should be up there, but it would look something like:

2. Final Fantasy X
3. The Legend of Dragoon
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Final Fantasy VI (III)

Honorable mention goes to Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy VII, and Persona 4.  I presume we're not mentioning World of Warcraft.
#114 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3322 posts) -

Mother 3, Persona 4, The Wolrd Ends With You, Chrono Trigger, and EarthBound.

#115 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

1. Kotor
2. Fallout 3
3. Diablo
4. Mass Effect
5. Fallout 2

#116 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

In no particular order 

1. FF6  
2. Mass Effect 
3. FF7 
4. Super Mario RPG 
5. Mount and Blade (not sure if this counts) 

DAO would likely replace Mount and Blade once I get to playing it. 

#117 Posted by Jim_uk (60 posts) -

Morrowind
VTMB 
The Witcher
Planescape Torment
Deus Ex

#118 Posted by Heartbreak (288 posts) -

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
2.  The World Ends With You
3. Mass Effect
4. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
5. ___________________

#119 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -
@Coombs said:
"

@Vigilance:

Yes very arbitrary,
Again you guys of course are right, any Game where you Play the Role of a character is a RPG, Why not.....
So I'm going to update My favorite RPG to reflect your definition of an RPG:

- Under my definition:

"

1. Final Fantasy VI (III)
  2. Final FAntasy VII
  3. Super Mario RPG
  4. Suikoden 1 & 2
  5. Final Fantasy IV (II)
  6. Tales of Symphonia
 Then a bunch of others including Legend of Dragoon, Saga Frontier, Other Final Fantasys, Tales of Vesperia ect, ect... "
-Under your definition:
  1. TEKKEN story modes
  2. Super Mario 3
  3. GTA III
  4. Bonks Adventure
  5. Tiger Woods Golf
In all of these Games you Play the Role of a character, So they must be RPGs Right? 

My whole point here is that just because you play a role in a game doesnt make it an RPG,
If you notice 90% of all the replies to this thread fit MY definition of an RPG....

Actually, the individual sports games are close.  

I posted quickly before, so I used "paper and pencil RPG" as a short hand for what I meant. 

Maybe you never actually played any of the games that all CRPGs are based on, or maybe you were being a dick. 

If you create a character that serves as your avatar in the game, whose abilities grow and change over time, based on choices you make, usually during some sort of level-up process, then you're playing an rpg. 

See, while that definition includes a lot of games, it's consistent, unlike your definition. 

Under your definition, if I mod Fallout 2 so there were no options to acquire more party members, or just played a character with a 1 Charisma (who cannot recruit party members), it's not longer a RPG.  

As for "90% of all the replies", you're wrong there. Many of the replies have included Diablo, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, which don't meet your criteria, not because of anything they do mechanically but because you're not gathering a party and controlling multiple characters.
#120 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
  • Demon's souls
  • Persona 4
  • Mass Effect
  • Oblivion
  • Final Fantasy II
#121 Edited by mattysen (822 posts) -

I haven't played many of the classics but, just to be different I'll throw this curve ball. 

1 Final Fantasy III  
2 Fallout 3 
3 Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time  
4 Devil Survivor  
5 ...Hello Kitty Island 

#122 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -
@mattysen said:
" I haven't played many of the classics but, just to be different I'll throw this curve ball. 

1 Final Fantasy III  
2 Fallout 3 
3 Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time  
4 Devil Survivor  
5 ...Hello Kitty Island 
"
I agree with that top 3. Those are all good games. Haven't played your 4 and 5, so it wasn't that much of a curveball. 
#123 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Vigilance: 
well I dont agree, 
but I'm not posting in this thread after this, Because this is going nowhere fast.

@Vigilance said:
Actually, the individual sports games are close.   

Good God.... This is a perfect example of what Im saying about the term RPG being applied to games that just are not RPGS

@Vigilance said:
Maybe you never actually played any of the games that all CRPGs are based on, or maybe you were being a dick. 
I did play D&D, But D&D type games are VERY different from ANY CRPGs, Except maybe the RPG-Maker series in which you can fully create and control your own world and the adventure within it.

@Vigilance said:
If you create a character that serves as your avatar in the game, whose abilities grow and change over time, based on choices you make, usually during some sort of level-up process, then you're playing an rpg.  See, while that definition includes a lot of games, it's consistent, unlike your definition.  Under your definition, if I mod Fallout 2 so there were no options to acquire more party members, or just played a character with a 1 Charisma (who cannot recruit party members), it's not longer a RPG.  
Yeah,  I consider Fallout an Action Adventure game, Or at the very least Action-RPG, Not a "true" RPG.
Under that definition Tiger Woods Golf, Actually IS an RPG, Beause there is a level up process to make your character a better Golfer, 
Or CoD:MW2 would be an RPG becasue there is a leveling system and upgrades for your character,
 I dont think you even buy that......

@Vigilance said:
As for "90% of all the replies", you're wrong there. Many of the replies have included Diablo, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, which don't meet your criteria, not because of anything they do mechanically but because you're not gathering a party and controlling multiple characters. "

Yep, Many of them have been, But for the most part even the people who did include an Action RPG also had "true" RPGs in their list.

Again, I'm not trying to argue with you about this, It's just MY opinion about the Term RPG being slapped on Action games,
Simply because they have a leveling system.  
#124 Posted by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

1. Diablo II 
2. Fallout 3 
3. Shining Force 2
4. The Witcher 
5. Secret of Mana 

Fuck your definition. The japanese party RPG with turn based combat stopped being the standard for role playing games well over ten years ago. 

#125 Edited by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

1. Secret of Mana
2. Paper Mario
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Chrono Cross
5. Final Fantasy X

#126 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
#127 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

I need to get into playing RPG's. If I were to do a list, it'd be basically only Fallout 3.

#128 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -
@gingertastic_10 said:
" I need to get into playing RPG's. If I were to do a list, it'd be basically only Fallout 3. "
If you were only going to play one RPG, you could do a hell of a lot worse. 
#129 Edited by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

1. Fallout 2 
2. Chrono Trigger 
3. Quest for Glory Series
4. Final Fantasy VI 
5. Demon's Souls or Shenmue

#130 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

Such, such a hard list to make but I am going to try my best.

• Baldur's Gate II
  • Planescape Torment
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Fallout Series
  • Neverwinter Nights
#131 Posted by AlexB (1023 posts) -

1. Secret of Mana
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Kingdom Hearts 2
4. Chrono Trigger
5. FFX/FF4 (can't pick)

SO many others, but these'll have to do.

#132 Posted by CowboyBebopper (170 posts) -

1. Final Fantasy 8
2. Final Fantasy 6
3. Persona 4
4. Xenogears
5. Vagrant Story

#133 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

1)  morrowind
2)  oblivion
3)  fallout 3
4)  mass effect
5)  damn this last slot is a tough choice. Fable 2? does borderlands count?  ill have to think about this one.

#134 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I almost put GTA San Andreas in my list.

I could role-play much more easily with that game than Fable.

I remember them coming out on like the same weekend and being amazed at how the non-RPG was so much more of an RPG than the one that was trying to be.

Stats and dice rolls don't make an RPG.
#135 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

1.Panzer dragoon saga
2.Skies of arcadia
3.Mass Effect
4.chrono trigger
5.persona 4

#136 Edited by rhodric (281 posts) -

1. Chrono Trigger (by far)
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Dragon Age: Origins
5. Seiken Densetsu 3

#137 Posted by Zlatko (67 posts) -
@MasterMind: 

1) Star Ocean: The Second Story
2) Persona 4
3) Suikoden 2
4) Final Fantasy 9
5) Legend of Dragoon

There's so many others that are great...things like Grandia, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Lunar, Lunar 2, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy 3,4,5,6,7,10,11.... It gets crazy how many RPGs I've played and completed that truly rocked. :)
#138 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

1. Terranigma
2. Lost Odyssey
3. Final Fantasy 7, 8, & 9 
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Fallout 3.

#139 Posted by Wipeout (261 posts) -

Hard to pick just 5!  

And I can't  put them in order.

FFVII 
Earthbound
Persona 4
FFVI
Fallout

Although I think it deserves mentioning that The World Ends with You is shockingly close to getting on this list for being a handheld game.  It's better than Devil Survivor by a huge margin.

#140 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

1) Final Fantasy VII 
2) Final Fantasy VIII 
3) Suikoden 
4 ) The Legend of Dragoon
5) Diablo 2

#142 Edited by Nick (667 posts) -

wow this was hard! I'm not sure about the order of the first 4 but it's something like this:

1. Chrono Trigger 
2. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
3. Knights of the old Republic 
4. Earthbound
5. Final Fantasy VI

#143 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@Siris said:
" 1. Chrono Trigger    
 2. Chrono Trigger   
 3. Chrono Trigger  
 4. Chrono Trigger   
 5. Chrono Trigger "