Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Proceed with some caution. 
As you probably know, Fat Princess hit the PlayStation Network last Thursday. And as you've probably guessed if you've been keeping up with multiplayer releases on PSN the last few months, the game is having a few issues with laggy online play and difficulty connecting to games so far.

Anecdotally, I didn't have too much trouble getting into games over the weekend, usually having to search only three or four times before joining an active game, and once I got in, the gameplay was smooth enough, if a tad laggy at times. Today I've strangely had a harder time getting into games, and most of them are primarily populated with bots at the moment, which is no good for anyone (except the bots). Hopefully things will pick up this evening and on into the week, since we'll certainly want to give the game a thorough testing with all maps and modes before dropping a review.

Anyway, Titan Studios has at least been vigilant about keeping the community abreast of its ongoing work on the company's official blog. There's news that a patch is in the works to address the lag and connection issues; let's hope Sony makes it a priority to get it up on PSN as soon as possible.

Lag

Players are sometimes experiencing significant lag in some games... Leaving a particularly laggy game and joining a new one may result in a better experience.  Unfortunately, it can be luck of the draw.  The fix we have in testing returns a list of potential servers in such a way that it always favors the lowest available pings.

Connection Fixes

We have implemented a number of fixes for previously identified problems, focusing most of our efforts on connection failures.  We have already tested this patch on our own client machines, and performance appears to be dramatically improved.  We are working with Sony now to get the patch into the Sony testing process as soon as possible.

With any luck, that patch will get fast-tracked straight through to players; Fat Princess otherwise seems like a really cool team-based game, when it's working right. I've found it a tad chaotic so far, but I'm hoping that's due to players still learning the ropes of what's honestly a pretty complex game, rather than just a general unwillingness to work together. 

We'll be back with firmer thoughts about Fat Princess later this week. In the meantime, the completely uninitiated among you can watch this Quick Look to at least find out what the game is all about.  

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

As you probably know, Fat Princess hit the PlayStation Network last Thursday. And as you've probably guessed if you've been keeping up with multiplayer releases on PSN the last few months, the game is having a few issues with laggy online play and difficulty connecting to games so far.

Anecdotally, I didn't have too much trouble getting into games over the weekend, usually having to search only three or four times before joining an active game, and once I got in, the gameplay was smooth enough, if a tad laggy at times. Today I've strangely had a harder time getting into games, and most of them are primarily populated with bots at the moment, which is no good for anyone (except the bots). Hopefully things will pick up this evening and on into the week, since we'll certainly want to give the game a thorough testing with all maps and modes before dropping a review.

Anyway, Titan Studios has at least been vigilant about keeping the community abreast of its ongoing work on the company's official blog. There's news that a patch is in the works to address the lag and connection issues; let's hope Sony makes it a priority to get it up on PSN as soon as possible.

Lag

Players are sometimes experiencing significant lag in some games... Leaving a particularly laggy game and joining a new one may result in a better experience.  Unfortunately, it can be luck of the draw.  The fix we have in testing returns a list of potential servers in such a way that it always favors the lowest available pings.

Connection Fixes

We have implemented a number of fixes for previously identified problems, focusing most of our efforts on connection failures.  We have already tested this patch on our own client machines, and performance appears to be dramatically improved.  We are working with Sony now to get the patch into the Sony testing process as soon as possible.

With any luck, that patch will get fast-tracked straight through to players; Fat Princess otherwise seems like a really cool team-based game, when it's working right. I've found it a tad chaotic so far, but I'm hoping that's due to players still learning the ropes of what's honestly a pretty complex game, rather than just a general unwillingness to work together. 

We'll be back with firmer thoughts about Fat Princess later this week. In the meantime, the completely uninitiated among you can watch this Quick Look to at least find out what the game is all about.  

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By hungrynun

It's been 50/50 for me. But when I have had a chance to play a lagless game it's extremely stellar.
swervinmonkeyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By swervinmonkeyz

*sigh* I just got Fat Princess yesterday and was hoping for some online action. Is it me or are a lot of new games being released with broken online?

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CoverlessTech

Why is it that every big arcade/psn title has shitty online? Same sort of issues plagued Castle Crashers last summer. Hope for a fix soon.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By meptron

It's been laggy now and then. But I've only had occasional problem finding games. Although if the host leaves, I get booted back to the main menu, even though the game tells me it's trying to find a new host...

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MatthewMeadows

I've learnt in the past that the first week of a multi-player game's release is essentially an open beta (BF 1943, Warhawk etc), I just normally wait/play the single player until then and avoid getting stressed.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

That's why I'm waiting on the game.  I want it fixed before I get it.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akeldama

brad says "tad" a tad bit much

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AURON570

lag... it kills

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kohe321

I'm getting this as soon as these issues are sorted. :D

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By demonbear

I've never been able to connect to an online game... its ridiculous.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eisen

I have some problems myself when it comes to getting connected, but it a lot of fun.  The princess capture modes need a time limit setting though as some matches can drag out way too long. I'm bit puzzled how the host leaving bug made it in the launch version.  It clearly does not work as another user noted.  The only main problem I have is the lack of people communicating.  I did get on an organized team game once and it was a blast with the amount of coordination that took place with voice chat.  Although that is quite a rarity from my experience so far.  

I think the main problem with connection issues is that the hosts' routers are blocking needed ports which rejects incoming players from connecting to their system, similar to hosting custom games on battle.net for warcraft 3.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EVO
@Akeldama said:
" brad says "tad" a tad bit much "
He said it twice, as many times as you did.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Azteck
@demonbear said:
" I've never been able to connect to an online game... its ridiculous. "
Is your internet hooked up to your console?

Just Joking.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akeldama
@EVO said:
" @Akeldama said:
" brad says "tad" a tad bit much "
He said it twice, as many times as you did. "
not just here lol. Ive noticed it in the podcasts and in other articles of his. Its just something i noticed is all. I <3 Brad
Avatar image for h1n1canceraidsclapclap
H1N1CancerAidsClapClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was able to join two games over a couple days. the first ever that i tried was perfect. then the next day i managed to get one, but it was horribly laggy. i just figured to wait for the update. 

edit: i'll add that the game is awesome in every other aspect. best credits sequence since Infamous.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Claude

Can you even pronounce anecdotally? Would you use anecdotally in a conversation? You know the word... it's on the tip of your tongue, but no... you go a different way. Use it all the time. Be the word.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mosdl
@Eisen: time limit might work.  It would be great if there was a way to tell people to do something at a certain location (attack this point, defend here) to help organizing.  Perhaps steal from Battlefield and have a commander who can issue such commands.

Also I wish towers had more usefullness - towers that are far from resources are left alone.  Maybe the ability to upgrade towers with a flame thrower or something would make them more attractive.

But still a fun game
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Most games are like that when they come out. Battlefield 1943 was basically unplayable for about a week on Xbox LIVE (from what I've heard)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By mordukai

It would not be a Quick Look without Brad dying. 

gustavog117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gustavog117

Game looks fun
Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yzzerdd

Wipeout HD now has video ads during load times, Sony is on a roll this month.
What next Sony you start wiping levels in mass from LBP?

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FCKSNAP
@Yzzerdd said:
" Wipeout HD now has video ads during load times, Sony is on a roll this month. What next Sony you start wiping levels in mass from LBP? "
They could totally just reject GoogleVoice for the platfform.

(Tech Geeks laugh, c'mon do it!)
PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PowerBombYo

The game is great and online is not nearly half as broken as 1943 was when it first came out. It definitely needs the update but at least it is playable. 

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By killdave

only played a few matches but its not lagged for me yet

Velsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Velsk
@Mordukai said:
" It would not be a Quick Look without Brad dying.  "
You've got to cut him some slack on this one.  Death is a constant companion in Fat Princess, especially as large groups of guys huddle in a small area and the area of effect attacks start getting used.

Anyway it seemed like these problems were present in the beta and not fixed before release.  Just look at the quick look Brad did above.  The multiplayer was down so he showed the single player mode instead.
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By m1k3

When i get into games, i seem to get that snail on the screen, even though it seems lagless

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mordukai
@Velsk said:
" @Mordukai said:
You've got to cut him some slack on this one.  Death is a constant companion in Fat Princess, especially as large groups of guys huddle in a small area and the area of effect attacks start getting used.  Anyway it seemed like these problems were present in the beta and not fixed before release.  Just look at the quick look Brad did above.  The multiplayer was down so he showed the single player mode instead. "
It was all in good spirit, I guess I should have added a smily face next to my post. I just love when he does QL. 
KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By KinjiroSSD
@PowerBombYo: This is Giantbomb and only PSN online games have rough launches here. Your logic isn't welcomed.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By KamasamaK

I had a hard time connecting the first couple days, but it's been fine for me since yesterday.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Nomin

tsk, talk about consoles becoming more and more like PCs, warts and all.
StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StarFry64

It's like Castle Crashers all over again- but the fact that there was a beta for this game before the actual game came out is confusing.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yzzerdd
@Snapstacle said:

" @Yzzerdd said:

" Wipeout HD now has video ads during load times, Sony is on a roll this month. What next Sony you start wiping levels in mass from LBP? "
They could totally just reject GoogleVoice for the platfform.  (Tech Geeks laugh, c'mon do it!) "
Then they bring Netflix to the PS3 and hit a button that randomly makes shows/movies unavailable for it before ultimately canning the whole thing but not before unveiling a space in Home for it.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Branthog

Bitch be TOO fat and slowin' shit up daaawg.

hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#35  Edited By hostile

They had these same problems during the beta so it pisses me off they didn't fix it.

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By kwyee

Yep, I couldn't get on the few times i tried this weekend and the bots get boring fast.  But at least that forced me to try the classes and to read the wonderfully designed in game manual so hopefully I won't be a total arse when i'm eventually able to connect...
Hope this gets fixed soon!

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By dietmango

Finally, a game that lets me play with myself and mess around with. 

Other than that, this honestly looks fun.
Velsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Velsk
@Mordukai said:
" @Velsk said:
" @Mordukai said:
You've got to cut him some slack on this one.  Death is a constant companion in Fat Princess, especially as large groups of guys huddle in a small area and the area of effect attacks start getting used.  Anyway it seemed like these problems were present in the beta and not fixed before release.  Just look at the quick look Brad did above.  The multiplayer was down so he showed the single player mode instead. "
It was all in good spirit, I guess I should have added a smily face next to my post. I just love when he does QL.  "
Oh, I didn't think you were serious.  Just pointing out that death is really common in Fat Princess :)

As far as the story goes.. my personal experience with FP so far has been periods of 20-30 minutes trying to get into games and mostly not succeeding.  However, I have gotten into a few.  They were really laggy, but even from those matches I can tell the game will be a lot of fun.  I've been playing with the bots more often than not just to get a taste of the game and while they're fairly useless the experience is still enjoyable.
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By DukeTogo

They lost a customer with that crap.  I was set to buy it, but waited to see how it would go down, and sure enough it was a crappy launch.

While I may get it later on down the road when/if it gets fixed, my money is going to the next Fallout 3 DLC, and then sweet sweet Shadow Complex.  So my purchase won't reflect the ever-important first week sales.

I also picked up Dawn of War II on Steam for the sale, so my plate is fairly full for games, maybe too full for a Fat Princess.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By crusader8463

Dang it, i so want to see this game get a PC port. I have wanted to play it since i heard about it months if not a year ago on 1up i think. IDK it was some video show i watch online. Maybe Co-Op was where i saw it first?....Anyway...my point is ME WANT!

Also laughed my ass off at the first 10 sec of that QL. Jeff's fat princess comment had me in tears. Probaly becasue i too am a fat princess just like Jeff. Only fatter....And i'm sure not half as pretty in a dress...ok this is weird now....Look a kitten playing will a ball of yarn!

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#41  Edited By Spiritof

I played this game for a couple of hours tonight, had zero problems, and actually had a shit ton of fun playing it. There's a really awesome feeling when you attack this thing with a plan. I started every round collecting resources and feeding our captive princess cake until everything is maxed out, then I'd slip on a warrior cap (or whatever there was the least of) and my group would just go at the opposing team's castle at full force. We won every round with this simple strategy and it's one of the best 'put-a-smile-on-your-face' games I've played in quite some time.

And yes, you die (and kill) a lot in this game.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#42  Edited By MeatSim

Well this is a shame.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43  Edited By spiceninja

Developers really need to start overcompensating their servers for games like these so they don't continuously have this problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 1943 was horrible on the 360 and worked fairly well on the PS3, this is the first PSN title I had trouble with lag.    

gia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gia

It's a fantastic game <3

I doubt anyone here has any trouble finding people to play online with, but if anyone does, there're usually at least a few people playing or happy to play over at the Anime Vice irc, #AnimeVice on irchighway.

the_stig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By the_stig

The biggest problem I've encountered is the host leaving the match which results in losing a connection.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By get2sammyb

Managed to get about five hours in with the game on launch day. It's really, really awesome when you're playing with a good team. Haven't been able to play since Sunday.

Breakfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Breakfast

Just bought the game. Doing storymode atm, cuz online is simply not working for me yet.
Game, even with NPCs are crazy fun. If you own a PS3, you really should get it.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Trilogy
@KinjiroSSD said:
" @PowerBombYo: This is Giantbomb and only PSN online games have rough launches here. Your logic isn't welcomed. "
They totally recognized battlefields rough start on the 360. Your fanboyism isn't welcomed.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By neoepoch

Love the game. My problem isn't so much the lag, but the fact that I played a match where the our princess couldn't be rescued from the other team's prison.  They had used an exploit where they pushed her into a wall and she was stuck there...That was screwed up dude. Since they couldn't get there people into our base, they glitched the princess out of the game.