#1 Edited by insanejedi (654 posts) -

And I don't mean that literally as in "Whats in Modern Warfare 4?"

What I mean is that ever generation has it's Halo or Call of Duty which revolutionizes the industry to go make games just like it. Right now games are flooded with modern military shooters and guns with 5 different kinds of optical sights. Everyone wanted regenerating health when Halo came out, and everyone wanted the cover system when Gears of War came out.

So what's next? What could possibly be the next generation copy cat template?

#2 Posted by MindOST (215 posts) -

Despite the fair number of "MOBAs" that have come out in the last few years, I'm kinda surprised neither EA nor Activision have tried to chase that League of Legends money.

#3 Posted by BigJeffrey (5138 posts) -

The next Halo and Call of Duty.

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4293 posts) -

Destiny and COD: Ghosts

#6 Posted by believer258 (12078 posts) -

It will probably be a shooter. Why? Well, everyone and their mother already knows how to play a shooter. I don't mean to be reductive, but first person shooters probably have the largest possible group of people to advertise to as far as "core" games go (by which I mean "not Facebook or casual iPhone games) and I would bet that nearly everyone who owns a 360 or PS3 can play one well enough. It's something that's fun, easy to get into, easy to advertise, and they only take two years to make as opposed to the three or four it takes to get out a (good) RPG or open-world game.

Not that I expect the next generation to be made up of shooters. I think the next generation is going to bring with it better structuring and management. Even we forum-goers can tell that spending too much money and expecting too much of games is becoming a problem, and you can bet your bottom dollar that some big companies have noticed that too. I just hope they figure out a way to bring the "b" game back, the one that exists between a small-budget indie title and a big-budget triple A title. You know, your Singularity's and your Darksider's.

But this is just amateur guesswork by a college nerd who is evading what he's supposed to be doing.

#7 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

I bet if they can get a Moba that works well on a console, that would blow up pretty huge.

#8 Posted by qawsed (145 posts) -

Remember 1 vs. 100 on XBLA? Every day there was a live show hosted by a human. I see AAAA shooters moving in that direction. Daily challenges narrated by a host, somehow. Faction based roleplay elements ("100k Red and Blue players battled it out last night, and the Reds took control of the region and won a new perk"). Some kind of combination of soap opera, game show, and sporting event.

#9 Posted by Masin (131 posts) -

@qawsed said:

Remember 1 vs. 100 on XBLA? Every day there was a live show hosted by a human. I see AAAA shooters moving in that direction. Daily challenges narrated by a host, somehow. Faction based roleplay elements ("100k Red and Blue players battled it out last night, and the Reds took control of the region and won a new perk"). Some kind of combination of soap opera, game show, and sporting event.

Can we reflect for a moment on how amazing 1 vs. 100 was? That would definitely cause me to go back to my xbox. It was also the perfect family game. All in all I had so much fun playing that with my family every night. It was fantastic. One of my top "games" that I want to see come back.

#10 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Destiny, probably.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3080 posts) -

World of Warcraft 2

#12 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@mindost said:

Despite the fair number of "MOBAs" that have come out in the last few years, I'm kinda surprised neither EA nor Activision have tried to chase that League of Legends money.

didn't EA do that LOTR moba?

#13 Posted by VoshiNova (1732 posts) -

@masin said:

@qawsed said:

Can we reflect for a moment on how amazing 1 vs. 100 was? That would definitely cause me to go back to my xbox. It was also the perfect family game. All in all I had so much fun playing that with my family every night. It was fantastic. One of my top "games" that I want to see come back.

Holy shit 1 vs. 100 was a good time!

#14 Edited by fisk0 (4396 posts) -

@animasta said:

@mindost said:

didn't EA do that LOTR moba?

EA haven't had the LOTR license since the PS2 days, I think. Monolith developed and WB Games published Guardians of Middle-Earth.

#15 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

We (or I) need the revival of Quake and UT style shooters. I miss those games so much and they can be so much fun. Sick and tired of military shooters. I still love Battlefield because the maps can be massive, but I would really love for a new UT or Quake style game.

#16 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

If I knew I would be rich in 5 years.

#17 Posted by insanejedi (654 posts) -

@tycobb said:

We (or I) need the revival of Quake and UT style shooters. I miss those games so much and they can be so much fun. Sick and tired of military shooters. I still love Battlefield because the maps can be massive, but I would really love for a new UT or Quake style game.

Should play shootmania then.

#18 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@tycobb said:

Oh man, a new UT would be fucking awesome.

#19 Posted by GreggD (4509 posts) -

That new gameplay for Rise of the Triad looks rad, but no way in hell it'll catch on, unless enough people give it a proper go.

#20 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

@tycobb said:

Should play shootmania then.

No thanks. That game just doesn't look that great in terms of maps and the way the handle different weapons.

#21 Posted by LackingSaint (1846 posts) -

Transistor.

#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

call of duty and halo. some new stuff that are made up in the game.

#23 Edited by C2C (855 posts) -
#24 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1854 posts) -

If I knew I would be rich in 5 years.

Seriously. This is the multi-million dollar question right now. Though most of the big publishers are so conservative right now, that I can't imagine them taking the risk that would lead to the next big thing. It'll more likely be a smaller, scrappier developer.

Who knows? If I had a gun to my head, I'd say probably MOBAs. People underestimate just how big that market is, and we have no evidence that it's reached its peak, yet.

#25 Posted by Dalai (7054 posts) -

I don't think it has been announced yet, but I just hope it's not a shooter.

#26 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i dont think we know yet, its a bit early to ask this sorta stuff

#27 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -

BioShock Infinite, annualised.

#28 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

The next Halo and Call of Duty.

This. They're not going anywhere, they're going to continue to be the king of video games and be the games everyone wishes they were.

#29 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Probably a f2p MMO shooter with a drastically long grind, and maybe figuring out how to do a multiplayer "raid". Like a really good version of Defiance. Destiny has ambitious, but I would guess it will be something that comes out of Epic / Tencent at some point (I don't think a established franchise will be it though).

I kind of think the esportness of Shootmania sucks all of the air out of the game. Interesting weapons, power ups, and maneuvers were a large part of those old games. Although if they end up with a successful weapons factory mod......

#30 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

If you mean shooters specifically then hard to say.

If it's games in general then it's your F2P MOBA's and their equivalents. They are already the next CoD and have been for a while.

Every huge (long lasting) gaming boom phenomenon shares some similarities. CS, Halo, WoW, CoD, Dota. If you look at the big picture all those games are extremely easy to get into, have a very simple core gameplay and a simple gameplay loop. They can be played for insane amounts of time over and over, and an average Joe is not required to be super smart, or have good reflexes, to just get in on the basic level. They are all MP. They all have a decent skill ceiling so that the better players can grow and be above the rest. If you looked at the gaming clubs like in say Russia and saw 10-14 year olds slowly shift from just playing CS 24/7 to Dotas all the time you could at that point already predict the next big thing coming.

After the Dota clones? Who knows, if you did why would you be still talking about it here :P But it will be MP, it will have a non existent barrier to entry, high skill ceiling, simple and short game loop that can be repeated ad nausea, be easy to watch live or on youtube, and very highly likely F2P.