Whats the best DND game?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I saw Baldurs gate 2 enhanced edition came out on steam recently. I remember playing a game like that on pc a long time ago; it could have been the very same game. I want to play one again. Where should I start?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Canteu

Neverwinter Nights 2. More specifically Mask of the Betrayer.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Temple of Elemental Evil is really good, just like the Icewind Dale games. Those are more about the encounters, then there are the obvious ones like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1\2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 with the Mask of the Betrayer expansion.

XpressTuning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By XpressTuning

If you want combat and dungeon crawling complemented by beautiful graphics, Temple of Elemental Evil. It's basically the best turn based combat game there is, i can even go as far as to presume that people which complain of turn based combat have never experienced the combat in Temple of Elemental Evil. Don't forget to add the Circle of Eight mod. It's a must, because it fixes bugs and balance issues.

If you want memorable companions, a unique settings, fantastic side quests and an engrossing main quest with some of the best writing i've ever seen, Planescape: Torment. It's basically an adventure game, so it's best played as that. Also, don't forget to add the HD mod. It's a must, because the original resolution is an unholy 640x480 which makes the graphical interface a cluttered, clunky mess.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darji

IF you really want to go for a D&D experience go with Temple of Elemental Evil Ironman mode. Nothing comes closer to this^^

As for a great overall story experience Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of Betrayer.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Well Baldur's Gate II. I actually think just combat wise, Icewind Dale II was definitely my favorite representation of D and D.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Planescape Torment for me, by far.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Icewind Dale. I really hated the NWN series for its god awful controls but that may just be me

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i'd say Icewind Dale - design your whole party, don't have no dude with a hamster to deal with, just get into those dungeons and see if you can stand the heat.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Baldur's Gate 2.

There are D&D games that do combat better. There are D&D games that do story better. Baldur's Gate 2 does both pretty well. You don't need to play Baldur's Gate 1 to enjoy 2. I always skip 1, low level D&D has never been something I enjoyed. "Here's your mage. He has 3 hit points. A rock looks at you and does 4 damage. You are dead."

Planescape has a lovely story, but as someone else said, it plays more like an adventure game.

I loved NWN for its multiplayer. The main campaign is useless and more of a tech demo for the Aurora toolset. Hordes of the Underdark was pretty good, though.

I wanted to get in to NWN2, but the controls for both camera and player drove me crazy. It just never clicked.

Also, I'm going to toss Knights of the Old Republic 1/2 into this mix. Both games used the D&D rule set, so if you're familiar with character creation in Baldur's Gate/NWN, etc, you'll feel right at home with KOTOR.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baldur's Gate 2. There is an absurd amount of content and it holds up pretty well even today. There's a huge modding community that has expanded on the game significantly. Sadly, I think we've created such a casual market for RPGs that we'll never see a good tactical D&D game again (outside of Project Eternity). Even Dragon Age was laughable when compared to Baldur's Gate.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, and Icewind Dale are all great games that deserve to be played by everyone.

However, if you want the true DnD experience, you need to play the tabletop game "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" the only true anime DnD-like game out there.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

Neverwinter Nights 1 is my favorite but it doesn't run good on newer pcs. NWN 2 is good. I have yet to really get into the older stuff bought the big pack on sale at GOG. Just started Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape. Planescape is pretty cool love the world but you have to be into that type of old school RPG. There is also the two Baldur's Gate's on PS2 and Dungeons and Dragons Heroes on the Xbox if you like that top down type game.

digitaloctopi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would agree with Xpresstuning. Temple of Elemental Evil for combat(if you can get past the bugs, even with the Co8 mod). And I think ToEE is the only DnD game I've played where you can fight a Gelatinous Cube! Planescape for the story, atmosphere and characters. I think Baldur's Gate 2 is probably the best middle-ground though. Played both Neverwinters and they honestly never really clicked with me. The old SSI "gold box" games (Pool of Radiance, Champions of Krynn, etc) will always hold a special place in my heart but they can be tough to go back to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1-2. Its a personal favorite meaning its not the best but i think its gives me most enjoyment.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

.... I always felt capcom beat em up games was what wanted. My personal experiences of D&D games always came off as nerd basement arguments where I'd spend time drawing everyone's characters instead of playing.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planescape: Torment, lots of reading but it's some of the best writing in the video-game medium.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Guesty_01

I really really want some modern DnD games :(

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on if you're more interested in story or combat mechanics. Like the posters above me have pointed out there are DND games with excellent mechanics like Icewind Dale and (I think) Neverwinter Nights. However if you want a good story to go along with it, I think you should check out Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Both have interesting stories and characters while also having fun combat.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By rorie

Mask of the Betrayer if you're looking for a story. Either that or Shadows of Amn, I guess; that's pretty good too.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mask of the Betrayer or Baldur's Gate 2. Both are really enjoyable stories.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By DeadpanCakes

My personal favorite is Planescape: Torment, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for, 'cause the DnD aspect in that game is weak and not very prevalent.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinity Engine 4 lyfe!

Baldur's Gate 2 is my favourite game of all time. So, that. But you really can't go wrong with most of the suggestions in this thread.

Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planescape: Torment, followed closely by Baldur's Gate 2.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Baldur's Gate 2. Vanilla, not the enchanced version which is shit. Followed closely by Planescape: Torment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Why haven't they made Tomb of Horrors into a game.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By veektarius

There is no D&D game that I would recommend without caveats.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one of the problems with Torment is that while the story and writing are fantastic, the game has not aged well at all. Given that Mask of the Betrayer is nearly as good in the story / writing department and is actually really fun to play, I'd say it's better than torment.

All that said, Baldur's Gate II and ToB would get my vote for the best. With the possible exception of Mass Effect 2, I don't think the PC has had a better RPG.

XpressTuning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By XpressTuning

@silvergun said:

I think one of the problems with Torment is that while the story and writing are fantastic, the game has not aged well at all. Given that Mask of the Betrayer is nearly as good in the story / writing department and is actually really fun to play, I'd say it's better than torment.

All that said, Baldur's Gate II and ToB would get my vote for the best. With the possible exception of Mass Effect 2, I don't think the PC has had a better RPG.

Rather than saying something incredibly vague as "hasn't aged well", it would be nice to see what your thoughts on the game are and what you didn't like.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Planescape. The combat is a little bit broken, but the rest of the game kicks so mach ass.

peakborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By peakborn

Dragonshard! Hell yeah gotta love that RTS!

Seriously though, Planescape followed by Baldur's Gate 2 then 1.

All the infinity engine games are pretty special, couldn't really get into Icewind because of the lack preset party members, party banter still is key for a memorable experience in my mind and it can be easily shared in retrospect.

Had the same problem with Storm of Zehir, especially after Mask of the Betrayer, still enjoyed them though.