#1 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -

So thanks to Black Friday and capitalism and all that, I've finally acquired a 3DS. My Gameboy was basically a Pokemon Red machine but I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since then. Which DS Pokemon is the one for me?? What's changed? What's the same? Will Cubone still be my fave?

#2 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

You're pretty good with going for the latest (Black 2 or White 2, take your pick).

#3 Posted by Jackhole (358 posts) -

I liked Heartgold and Soulsilver the best.

#4 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@dungbootle said:

You're pretty good with going for the latest (Black 2 or White 2, take your pick).

You could also get Black or White and if you like those enough consider playing one of the sequels afterward. Regardless B/W/B2/W2 are much better games than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

@Jackhole said:

Edit: Almost forgot about the remakes. They're pretty great if you're particularly nostalgic about G/S like myself, otherwise I still think B/W are probably more enjoyable games.

#5 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (202 posts) -

Heart Gold and Soul Silver are great if you want to get nostalgic you'll find a lot of red and Blue Pokemon in it and in the post game you get to challenge all of the Red and Blue gyms. Also it's the only game where you can have your lead Pokemon following you which my inner child found super rad. However if you want the best I would recommend Black and White. In that game you will only find Pokemon from that generation which gave me that feeling of first playing Red and Blue. Also they made TMs have infinite uses which is a game changer. You could go for Black 2 and White 2 if you want some of your old favorites.

#6 Posted by CooVee (136 posts) -

Heart Gold and Soul Silver are the best Pokemon games in my opinion.

#7 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Soul Silver. It has the best UI and is pretty challenging compared to the newer ones.

Black//White 1/2 get started really quick, and they practically give you every important item you'll ever need. They just hand that shit to you.

Although Black/White 2 has my favourite pokémon track ever, in the poison gym.

@Ryuku_Ryosake: In black and white 1, you unlock the entire pokedex once you finish the game. Every single pokemon ever made is available.

#8 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Yeah, it's looking like heartgold/soulsilver is the one for me. thanks guys!

#9 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Black and White, and Black and White 2 are great, but remakes of the best Pokémon games ever? You can't go wrong with those.

#10 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Jackhole said:

This, basically by default. I've found that all the games since the second generation have been getting worse and worse.

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (7043 posts) -

2 Black 2 White: Two

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Black & White 2 are the latest games. They're probably the best introduction for new players, while also having the most amount of content and options later on if you're looking for a challenge.

Heart Gold & Soul Silver are pretty great if you're looking for some nostalgia though.

#13 Posted by sgjackson (527 posts) -

HG/SS are solid for nostalgia and a lot of casual fans really like some of the features in them, like the bottom-screen UI and your Pokemon following you around. Plus it has Voltorb Flip, which I sunk about as many hours into as actual Pokemon - great time waster if you like stuff like sudoku or Minesweeper.

I preferred B/W1 as an actual game, though. Seeing all new guys during the main quest really brought me back in a way the nostalgia from seeing Pokemon I'm familiar with didn't.

#14 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

2 Black 2 White: Two - Reloaded

fixed

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@Jackhole said:

#16 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (530 posts) -

@Jackhole said:

#17 Posted by Crash_Happy (654 posts) -

Probably Platinum for me.

#18 Edited by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

A lot has changed, and at the same time, not much has changed. The biggest change the series has seen (besides new Pokemon, of course) was the physical attack/special attack split. Instead of elemental attacks all being reliant on the special attack stats and all fighting/normal/etc attacks being reliant on the attack stat, those properties are assigned to actual attacks now (so a hyper beam will be a special attack now, though it has a new physical equivalent).

HeartGold/SoulSilver are my personal favorite games, but I'd probably recommend you skip ahead to Black or White (v1). It's nice starting out with a whole new set of Pokemon and having to learn them from scratch. If you want the old mixed with the new, you could go forward with Black 2 or White 2. Not that story matters in a Pokemon game, but there would be some minor elements that you'd have no idea about by skipping the first game.

Oh, and Cubone will continue to be an awesomely cool but largely useless Pokemon.

#19 Posted by dudeglove (7686 posts) -
#20 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@dudeglove: I raise you one.

#21 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -
@Jackhole said:
#22 Edited by Jackhole (358 posts) -

So, we're all in agreement then? 

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Jackhole said:

@Cyrus_Saren said:

@Jackhole said:

@RecSpec  said: 

@Jackhole said: 

#23 Posted by Zereta (1363 posts) -

I think Gold/Silver/Crystal were the best game so you should go for Heartgold or Soulsilver

Btw: Soul Silver is the way to go. Because, Lugia.

#24 Edited by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@killacam: If you get HeartGold, I'll get SoulSilver. I've got this crazy scheme in mind... too long to describe now. But it involves Pokemon, and catching most (if not all) of them.

#25 Posted by Nev (539 posts) -

@Jackhole said:

Yep, my vote also goes to these. Black/White was the first mainline Pokemon game I didn't care for. I'd even suggest Pearl/Diamond/Platinum over Black/White, you can't really go wrong with either.