#1 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -


#2 Posted by GunstarRed (5453 posts) -

Probably at a big event like E3, but without an intro telling you what the game is. That Far Cry 3 reveal from last year was great because I had no idea what it was.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

Probably at a big event like E3, but without an intro telling you what the game is. That Far Cry 3 reveal from last year was great because I had no idea what it was.

And not to mention Watch Dogs.

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Depends on how important the game is. Some are seemingly released directly to the bargain bin without any announcement whatsoever.

#5 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@GunstarRed said:

Probably at a big event like E3, but without an intro telling you what the game is. That Far Cry 3 reveal from last year was great because I had no idea what it was.

And not to mention Watch Dogs.

oh you mean CtOS

#6 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

@Yummylee said:

@GunstarRed said:

Probably at a big event like E3, but without an intro telling you what the game is. That Far Cry 3 reveal from last year was great because I had no idea what it was.

And not to mention Watch Dogs.

oh you mean CtOS

?

#7 Edited by Chaser324 (6743 posts) -

For a "blockbuster title" ala Halo or God of War, I guess a flashy E3 presentation is the best option. However, social media and word of mouth have been used very effectively to market smaller indie titles, and in some ways I prefer that method because it tends to foster a stronger connection to the game/developer and create a bit of a community around a game before it's even released.

Moderator
#8 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

E3 event but not say what game it's going to be. it is a big shock to everyone and then hell breaks lose on the internet in video game world.

#9 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

Yeah, surprise E3 launches are great, and create a huge amount of buzz. Having said that, I like Valve's viral marketing and ARGs a whole lot.

#10 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

A big press event where tons of people are watching.

#11 Posted by ThePickle (4166 posts) -

E3. Especially if it's a new franchise. I don't know if Watch Dogs would have gotten the same reaction it got if it had premiered anywhere else.

#12 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

Right before it's designated to come out, Hard Reset-style.

#13 Edited by _Chad (960 posts) -

Open a window and yell. Old style propaganda pamphlet drops.

#14 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Have some one get arrested wearing your games paraphernalia at the super bowl.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Run into the streets and shout "Yo, we got this sick ass game".

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Paying people to yell the name of the game for a whole year before release.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Right before it's designated to come out, Hard Reset-style.

Definitely. Drawn-out hype periods are incredibly frustrating; for example, I think I've got to the point where I've lost any interest in Bioshock Infinite.

#18 Posted by Masakari (72 posts) -

Depends on the type of game and budget. Announcing a shmup at E3 will just get lost in the noise. However, for something AAA, a big convention is the way to go.

#19 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Yea I agree it really depends on the type of game you're trying to get out there. For larger AAA titles or games with mass market appeal you got to the go the way of flashy press conferences n shit. Otherwise, for smaller titles or even great niches titles like Demon Souls and (at the time) Castlevania: SotN that got big off of word of mouth I like that method too.

I don't know too many games that utilized a viral marketing campaign, sounds like something that'd be pretty damn cool when I think about it.

#20 Posted by me3639 (1849 posts) -

Currently i would say Game Informer becasue of the track record and 8 Million subscribers.