• 102 results
#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

It can be retail, DD, ebay, over priced collectors editions, tiny games for full price, whatever. 

This is one I came across recently. 

This is for Australia. What are they thinking?! $100US? Oh, and before you think "Oh, it must be convertion rates". No, the Australian dollar is only a couple of cents above the US dollar. It's $100. That's more than retail!
#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Some stores are still selling Modern Warfare 1 for 60€ around here. It's ridiculous.

#3 Posted by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

Not as bad, but Skyrim Collectors Edition is a bit of a rip off at $150

#4 Edited by LetsRockBaby (241 posts) -

$100 for MW3... the fuck?

Anyway, biggest ripoff I've ever seen was at a gaming convention I went to two years ago, where this one vendor there was buying games from other vendors and jacking the price on them. He bought copies of FFVII for $50 apiece and was sellin' them for over a hundred. Even cheaper games like Chrono Cross were going for like $70.

#5 Posted by mordukai (7135 posts) -
@ashkanhoss29 said:

Not as bad, but Skyrim Collectors Edition is a bit of a rip off at $150

Do you get a free hand job with that $150?
#6 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

You have no idea what expensive is, dudes, in Sweden a new game is regularly priced 700 kronor which converts to just under $110. Every fucking game.

#7 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I once bought a used copy of Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time for $120.

#8 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

anything from the cartridge era. i remember paying £69 for Super Street Fighter 2. 

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Paying the $60 I did for Borderlands the day it came out only to get a buggy, broken unplayable mess of a game instead.

Runner up: The Dead Island Fiasco currently going on. I should be playing it right now, but after hearing all the shit they have done to fuck it up I'm tempted to call Steam and get a refund.

#10 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

I once bought a used copy of Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time for $120.

Wait...What?

#11 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

MW3 is only £39 to preorder in the UK. no more expensive than any other high profile release on steam.

#12 Posted by Lanceuppercut (129 posts) -

Pretty much any game on the games on demand section on xbox live.

#13 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Hector: It was a Friday and I wanted to play it over the weekend, so I went to GameStop and bought it.
#14 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I paid $299 for Samurai Showdown 2 back when it was new for the Neo Geo. I didn't care how much my wallet was being raped. It's the only game I ever bought for my AES system, and the only one I'll ever need.

#15 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@Titus said:

You have no idea what expensive is, dudes, in Sweden a new game is regularly priced 700 kronor which converts to just under $110. Every fucking game.

EB regularly charges that in Australia for games. But DD shouldn't cost that much.
#16 Posted by Romination (2775 posts) -

I saw someone trying to sell a copy of Pokemon Emerald for around a hundred dollars. Some people just don't understand how pricing works.

#17 Posted by Red12b (9076 posts) -

$150 for codblops standard 

#18 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
@Titus said:

EB regularly charges that in Australia for games. But DD shouldn't cost that much.
It's fucked up, is what it is. That's why you buy from the cheaper online stores.
#19 Posted by drcocktopus (60 posts) -

I paid money for DRIV3R on the Wii 

/thread

#20 Posted by LetsRockBaby (241 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
Explanation required. My brain is full of fuck right now.
#21 Posted by Daiphyer (1308 posts) -

How about 80$ for a regular edition of WWE All Stars? *In Kanye voice* HA?

#22 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

@Titus: is tax included in that price?

#23 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -

70€ for The Darkness, two years ago. 

#24 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Hector: It was a Friday and I wanted to play it over the weekend, so I went to GameStop and bought it.

Was it a special edition copy or something? Or is the $120 including transportation or something else.

#25 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

I saw Call of Duty 4 at the price of 130 US Dollars a year or so ago.

#26 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Hector: Nope, regular edition. Bought it in store, didn't even get the manual with it.
#27 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (375 posts) -

@Lanceuppercut said:

Pretty much any game on the games on demand section on xbox live.

I hear ya. No disc, no packaging, no instructions and no shipping, but way more expensive than Amazon. Cheeky buggers.

#28 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@drcocktopus said:

I paid money for DRIV3R on the Wii /thread

Any non-Nintendo Wii game /thread

#29 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@crusader8463: Dead Island is getting patched. Heavily, apparently.

@ashkanhoss29: what? no it isn't, do you know what's actually in it? lol

#30 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

I think it was a bit nuts when Microsoft released 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand on their On Demand service at the paltry selling price of $59.99.

The game is like, what, two years old? The fuck?

#31 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2458 posts) -

Full price for this brilliant game.

#32 Edited by Undeadpool (4911 posts) -

Phantasy Star IV's was and is a pretty damn good game, but it ain't $120 of good. Especially not in 1995, which if you adjust for inflation would be $169.97. And that was just the normal version, no enhancements, no add-ons, no soundtrack, JUST the game.

#33 Posted by Creamypies (4051 posts) -

inFamous 2 & Mass Effect 2 are both £49.99 on the PlayStation Store. As is Black Ops on XBL.

I also bought Eat Lead for a fiver... which strangely enough made me feel super ripped off.

#34 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever when it retailed for $60.
@Titus said:

That's fucking crazy!
#35 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever should've been dropped to $40 after the first two weeks.

#36 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

On the PC, Call of Duty games are always the worst, cause they're the only ones charging €60...

#37 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

Modern Warfare 3 pre-orders on Steam for 60 euros. Right now.

All other games, and I mean everything else, has been at 50 euros. Deus Ex, Skyrim. You name it.

Fuck you Activision. Seriously.

#38 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Yeah, they are patching like 40 things or so, but I think the problem with Dead Island is a bit more serious than a buggy release. They are distributing the 360 version on Steam. Wow.

On topic: The price for retail CoD is stupid in Spain. I've seen both MW2 and BLOPS for still more than €65.

#39 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@Zidd: Yeah, 20%.
#40 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

All these high european prices are a reminder why piracy is high in those countries.

#41 Posted by Mystyr_E (1189 posts) -
#42 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

@Titus: before taxes the price isn't that much more. All of the US prices are before taxes and whether or not and how much you are taxed depends on what state you are in and where you buy it.

#43 Posted by ajamafalous (11852 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Yeah, they are patching like 40 things or so, but I think the problem with Dead Island is a bit more serious than a buggy release. They are distributing the 360 version on Steam. Wow.

On topic: The price for retail CoD is stupid in Spain. I've seen both MW2 and BLOPS for still more than €65.

It also appears to be the dev version/debug build.

#44 Posted by hustlerlt (299 posts) -
@Titus: It's almost the same here in Lithuania.Let's say I want to buy a "superb" game called "Tony Hawk: Shred".Price for it today,without the board of course,is "only " 105 euros.Or let's say I want to buy "Sims 3",for the Xbox 360.It's cost at the moment is 87 euros.PS3 copy of Test Drive Unlimited 2 costs 84 euros,NFS:Hot Pursuit costs "only" 81 euros and I could just go on.All of  these games aren't even new and anyone could find them a lot cheaper.Thank God that I'm buying all my games while ordering through UK sites,because otherwise I could never even afford getting most of these games.
#45 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@Zidd: I don't know, it's still $20 more. I don't complain really, it's not like it's a general opinion that games are expensive, I can afford the stuff. 
#46 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -
@Titus said:
@Zidd: Yeah, 20%.
It's actually 25%.... fucking crazy ^^  That's retail though, dunno what it is for online stores.
The taxes for most other cultural things like festivals, theater, books and magazines are at 6%, but for game related things (like Dreamhack) it's still 25%.
#47 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

I bought that game new for $20... Anyway I'd say the Call of Duty map packs are the most overpriced thing I've ever seen. $15 for 5 maps, one of which is for that zombies mode which when I did own Black Ops I literally never touched.

#48 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1867 posts) -

around here, I would have to shell out the equivalent of $105 US for any PS3/360 game that is popular.

#49 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

Recently I was really stung by Fable 3.  It was essentially a stripped down Fable 2 with a badly optimized engine which served as a marketing experiment for DLC.  I preordered it, was hyped for it and utterly hated Lionhead after the fact.  Likely forever.

#50 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

If you exchange the price in swedish currency for dollars on the Xbox Live Marketplace, the price for Halo Reach is $114.