#1 Posted by skywing (1153 posts) -

I just watched a commercial about FF13 and it wasnt until I saw some boobs that I realized that this character was a lady. 
WTF japan?

#2 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

and these airplane peanuts, am i right guys?

#3 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -
@onimonkii said:
" and these airplane peanuts, am i right guys? "
oh my i lol'd 
#5 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -

What's up with America and sweaty, muscly, half-naked men?

#7 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -
#8 Posted by skywing (1153 posts) -
@onimonkii: lmao I thought I already posted this. 
I should have checked :( 
sorry.
#9 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
"
"
This. 

Most (if not all) girly-boy stuff you see in Japanese media was influenced by visual kei bands of the 80s and 90s and even today they're pretty popular. As a fan of vk myself, I have no complains about it influencing movies, tv or in this case videogames. 
#10 Posted by buzz_clik (6890 posts) -

From your description, your problem is girls who look like guys and not vice versa.

@onimonkii said:

You did a killer set at the Chuckle Hut the other night, btw. Totally worth the money.
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (35777 posts) -
@onimonkii said:

And WHAT'S the deal with all these Starbucks everywhere?
#12 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11413 posts) -

It's Japan. Deal with it.

#13 Posted by Delta_Ass (3246 posts) -

Japan's crazy.

#14 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

I dunno, but it sucks, games and anime from there are just shit now.  Cut the crap, throw some boobs on them characters, cause they sure as hell ain't men.

#15 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

I guess everyone is gay for everyone in Japan.

#16 Posted by Skytylz (4023 posts) -

I hate that too, especially when i'm thinking this character is hot and then find out he's a guy. *sarcastic*

#17 Posted by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -

Answer: They're in their 1980's -early 1990's era.

#18 Edited by Able (86 posts) -

Their girls are so squeaky and most stories are about a disgruntled youth that is going to change the world but has no social skills.  We need a change.

#19 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

I really like it as an alternative to ridiculous super macho men in American games.

That being said, I am androgynous in real life, so I better identify with androgynous characters.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (23658 posts) -

Oh look.  This thread again.

#21 Edited by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -
@skywing said:

" I just watched a commercial about FF13 and it wasnt until I saw some boobs that I realized that this character was a lady. WTF japan? "

#22 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Only japan, right?
#23 Posted by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -
@Hailinel: 
upset someones criticising japan?   better argue for 18 pages because people arent allowed to have opinions.
#24 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@graniteoctopus said:
" @Hailinel: upset someones criticising japan?   better argue for 18 pages because people arent allowed to have opinions. "
I think the point that was being made was, oh I don't know, that this topic is now being discussed for like the 10th time because some dude fell in love with a japanese person he saw on a video, only to later figure out that it was a dude and now he's even more confused about his sexuality. 
#25 Posted by EndlessMike (514 posts) -

read: burlesque

#26 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Oh look.  This thread again. "
My first time seeing this, actually.
#27 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @onimonkii said:

And WHAT'S the deal with all these Starbucks everywhere? "
We have three Starbucks shops lined up in a row.
#28 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -
@onimonkii:   ha-ha, classic.

There is a subculture in Japanese literature that focuses on effeminate men and emotional, non-sexual relationships between men.  In gaming I really don't think it's as bad as the stereotype might have you think.  Just remember, 200 years ago the best looking men dressed like this... 
 The 18th Century Action Hero
Everything changes with time, and our modern Western concept of manliness will likely continue to evolve.
#29 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -
@Able said:
" Their girls are so squeaky and most stories are about a disgruntled youth that is going to change the world but has no social skills.  We need a change. "
I was thininking the same thing. (looks at nuke button)
#30 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@LiquidSwords: @PenguinDust: /thread
#31 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Its a cultural thing.

The Renaissance didn't have very great masculine looking men either.

#32 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@LiquidSwords said:
"
Only japan, right? "
God save us...
#33 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

I really cannot stand the way many people treat gender.

I am so fucking tired of this.

#34 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@skywing said:
" @onimonkii: lmao I thought I already posted this. I should have checked :( sorry. "
Takes some real skill to re-post a thread that you started yourself. Cheers.
#35 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -
@animateria said:
" I guess everyone is gay for everyone in Japan.

"
That image sums up Japanese sexuality.
#36 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@inkeiren said:
" I really cannot stand the way many people treat gender.  I am so fucking tired of this. "
Um...what? I don't understand what you mean.
#37 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
" @inkeiren said:
" I really cannot stand the way many people treat gender.  I am so fucking tired of this. "
Um...what? I don't understand what you mean. "
I am sick of the type of people who think of men being feminine or women being masculine as a negative thing.

It's no better or worse than a man being masculine or a woman being feminine. If you don't understand where I am coming from, I suggest doing some research into gender roles / gender identity.
#38 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@inkeiren: Ah okay. You just needed to clear that up. Yeah, I agree that people shouldn't be so negative about whether a guy wants long hair or a girl wants a buzz cut. The reason people feel this way is because either they grew up in an environment where girls and guys acted in their respective gender, they never came across someone who broke these norms, or the mainstream media implements the thought that being masculine/feminine if you're a female/male is weird.