#1 Posted by mattblitz (21 posts) -

Inspired by a thread here of the same name that I stumbled upon.  I'm really curious to see people's background in gaming and what people have spent time on for 'serious' gaming.  I don't want this to be looked at as an excuse to brag or something, so I'll opt to just observe I think :)

(This was the past thread, btw: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/leaderboard/92-30/whats-the-highest-youve-been-ranked-on-a-leaderboard/35-265747/)

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19415 posts) -

You could have just bumped that thread, but whatevs. I'll just copy + paste what I wrote 

The highest (meaning the closest to number 1) I've been was for the mission "The Bog" from Call of Duty 4, Arcade Mode. I ended up at 111 in the world, which was really cool. Right now I think I'm somewhere in the 200s, because I haven't tried it again since.     

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

There is a heavy used galaga game at the local Pizza hut that has me as top score for the last 10 years. Does that count? 

#4 Posted by stinky (1565 posts) -

17th on server, PvP, back in vanilla WoW. 

#5 Posted by gakon (2007 posts) -

I was once 17th on Game Room's H.E.R.O. leaderboard, but no longer.  By pro game ain't what it used to be.

#6 Posted by ZimboDK (843 posts) -

I was in the top 10 on a level in SMB for like an hour. That's about it.

#7 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I inch my way up every level of Super Meat Boy. I'm like 4 on one level, and 28 on another. They need to fix the leaderboards, get rid of all the 0's. 

#8 Posted by ESREVER (2721 posts) -

I've been #1 on quite a few things. Usually when they first come out though, so its still pretty fresh. 
A couple things were Mirror's Edge Trial levels on ps3, Crash Commando... some other obscure titles. They never last though. But they offer competitive replayability to an otherwise stale game. 

I think the highest a clan I was in has been was top6 on the MGO leaderboards. That was a couple years back though. Unfortunately, my MGO days are over :(

#9 Posted by fazzle (311 posts) -

At one point I was the 7th ranked UNO player on XBox Live. 

Who wants to touch me?

#10 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

I was ranked in FM2's top 100 on many tracks when I deliberately tuned cars to hotlap, and attained a similar feat within FM3's Suzuka Circuit early on in the game's life. While the former stayed, I lost ground on the latter over time. I think I barely ended up in the top 1000 for FM3; FM2 I'd hazard a guess to say I'm still in the top 500.

#11 Posted by Sin4profit (3144 posts) -

i was 9th on the Game Room Gravitar Leaderboards early on. 
I also remember being pretty high on the Geometry Wars 2 Leaderboards for the Waves mode when it first came out...that lasted maybe 5 minutes.

#12 Posted by mattblitz (21 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" I inch my way up every level of Super Meat Boy. I'm like 4 on one level, and 28 on another. They need to fix the leaderboards, get rid of all the 0's.  "
 They do, periodically.  They haven't released the patch to fix permanently yet though.
#13 Posted by Malakhii (1444 posts) -

I was number one on a few songs for Tap Tap revenge the day it and the Iphone 3G came out (I think It was the same day), then I never played the game again. 

#14 Posted by Skytylz (4046 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" There is a heavy used galaga game at the local Pizza hut that has me as top score for the last 10 years. Does that count?  "
That's bad ass dude, what was your score?
#15 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Skytylz said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" There is a heavy used galaga game at the local Pizza hut that has me as top score for the last 10 years. Does that count?  "
That's bad ass dude, what was your score? "
I do not even remember. I just glance to the name once and a wile and it still has my initials. It was a massive score. I played during a birthday party maybe 5 hours. I was 12 and bored to hell 

Course back then the cool thing was" LOOK I GOT TWO SHIPS! 
#16 Posted by Skytylz (4046 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Galaga is my favorite classic arcade game, but I've only broken 100k a few times.  I think 120k is my best.
#17 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

I was once #1 for the final boss fight in Lost Planet: Colonies in Score Attack Mode- didn't last long though..it rarely does

#18 Posted by JTMosh (263 posts) -

When I finished 100%ing Super Meat Boy I think I topped out at like 81st overall or something like that. That's the highest I can recall.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8711 posts) -

My buddy and I were #1 in our Diamond 2v2 ladder in SCII for a few days, but we didn't play nearly enough to stay there.

#20 Posted by canucks23 (1079 posts) -

The only thing i can think of right now is that  got the trophy for being in the top 1% on the weekly leaderboards in killzone 2 the first week it was out.

#21 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I got into the top 3000 in Fifa 09 back in the day!

#22 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Our 10 man guild in WoW is among the top 30 on the server, in vanilla my guild was among the top 10. Can't really think of anything else worth mentioning.

#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14441 posts) -

the top    

#24 Posted by RandomHero666 (3184 posts) -

Me and my Wingman buddy were in the top 50 for Social Wingman in gears 2, played every day and would have gone even higher if he hadn't lost his internet connection.
 When Forza 3 first came out I was in the top 100 for 1mile Drag, that was before people started buying tuning setups from the leaders

#25 Posted by Sargus (760 posts) -

I was in the Top 10 for overall scores in Sin & Punishment 2 for the Wii... But only because I was playing it several days before the game hit retail stores. As soon as the game was in more talented hands, I fell rather quickly.

#26 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (665 posts) -

The best that I have ever earned online rank-wise was being ranked #4 in the USA on the NASCAR '09 EA Sports PS3 server leaderboard for several hours back in 2009. 
I had won 4 straight races at Talladega Superspeedway, and finished second in 3 of the other races in a 7-race stretch that saw me reach #4 Overall, #2 Weekly, and #7 Monthly on the leaderboard for roughly 3 hours.

#27 Posted by mattblitz (21 posts) -

Cool guys :)  Keep it coming!  Relevant to topic: I'll be going for #1 on Zeit2 this Wednesday.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (23098 posts) -

I used to be in the top 100 in the DMC4 leaderboards on DmD mode. Was a long ways a scrollin' to find many others close by who weren't Korean.

#29 Posted by Freqtal (96 posts) -

Our guild back in the good old Guild Wars days reached top 50 at some point, but I don't remember the exact rank.

Also the 25 man WoW guild I was in ranked among the top 3 on the server at some point. It's a pretty "weak" server, though.

#30 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

Top 100 in a combo session in the Tony Hawk's Project 8 demo.

#31 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -

Ranked 1 for Hysteria by Muse on Audiosurf...eh.

#32 Posted by CABBAGES (552 posts) -

Last night on rockband 3 playing oh my love by john lennon on expert guitar i was ranked 44th in the world.
#33 Posted by SMTDante89 (2612 posts) -

There were a few songs on Rock Band where I was #1 for a time.

Then there's a few songs on Vocals that I share first place with a bunch of people.

#34 Posted by animathias (1197 posts) -

I've got a couple dozen or so #1's in The Beatles: Rock Band and Rock Band 3 for Vocals. I'm most proud of my Pro Keys position for "Imagine" in RB3. I was #7 for a while, but I've been pushed to around #13. Still respectable, I think.

#35 Posted by imsh_pl (3359 posts) -

Back when Killzone 2 came out, I got the trophy for being in the top 2% of players experience wise. Was pretty proud of myself back then :]

#36 Posted by MisterChief (834 posts) -

I remember when I was in the top 100 on a Halo 2 playlist before all the cheating.

#37 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

About ten years ago I was ranked at about 600 in Red Alert 2. If that's not a serious claim to gaming fame, I don't know what is.

#38 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I was 19th for a lap-time in Project Gotham Racing 4. I didn't actually even own the game at the time either. I was in the Top 1% for a lap-time in Forza Motorsport 3 as well, but considering the number of people who have set lap-times upon the track, that's probably not an immensely impressive feat. I was 1st on a leaderboard for a Flash game a while back as well but there's no pride in that really.

#39 Posted by mattblitz (21 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" I used to be in the top 100 in the DMC4 leaderboards on DmD mode. Was a long ways a scrollin' to find many others close by who weren't Korean. "
 I know the feeling man.  On NeoGeo Battle Colosseum on XBLA, I was ranked #1 US but like..top 100 overall, or something like that.  Some games are just dominated by Asians :0
#40 Posted by RagingLion (1378 posts) -

I think I peaked at #17 or #19 on the Multiwinia ladder that got set up for that game.  Wasn't played by loads of people but it's still the most serious I've got in playing a game competitively and I'm quite proud of where I ranked.

#41 Posted by Bollard (6043 posts) -

15th in the World, Pac-man Championship Edition DX Highway Short (the whole thing I think? You know where it totals all your times).  

That was pretty epic. Also, Highway is clearly the best map.

#42 Posted by afrocod (41 posts) -

I was in the top twenty for the full game Braid speed runs at one stage, but my slow ass is sitting back a 1454 now, ha ha... I might go back and try and move myself up the ladder again... The guys at the top are unbelievable...

#43 Posted by Ventilaator (1502 posts) -

Here's a weird one.

When they released Super Stardust Portable for the PSP, they had some networky issues which prevented anyone from accessing the leaderboards. I accidentally happened to try to submit my score RIGHT WHEN they fixed it, so there was a good few-hour chunk when I was #1 in the world

#44 Posted by mattblitz (21 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
" Here's a weird one.  When they released Super Stardust Portable for the PSP, they had some networky issues which prevented anyone from accessing the leaderboards. I accidentally happened to try to submit my score RIGHT WHEN they fixed it, so there was a good few-hour chunk when I was #1 in the world "
Always nice when that happens, lol
#45 Posted by JJWeatherman (14784 posts) -

Number one on a Rock Band song or two. Only the obscure ones on bass though.  :P

#46 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2479 posts) -

I was pretty high on the i'm calling it leaderboards for a while there. 

Still up there, actually. 5th in net winnings.

#47 Posted by destruktive (1116 posts) -

1st on a bunch of guitar hero \ rock band songs

#48 Posted by Wunder_ (1171 posts) -

Numba 1!

#49 Posted by GreggD (4581 posts) -

I'm ranked number one on vocals for Bad Moon Rising in Rock Band 3. Sadly, though, there are probably like 100 other people at number one, as well.

#50 Posted by Sweep (9593 posts) -

#8 at Age Of Booty in the global leaderboards for like a month when it was first released. I'm still in the top 100 now I think?