What's The Most Angriest Fanbase You've Ever Seen?

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@TeflonBilly said:

Probably Zelda fans after Jeff's 8.8 review of Twilight Princess. I mean, people were livid, some going so far as to track down his parents' phonenumber and harrass them and shit if I remember correctly. Plus all the hate and vitriol, yikes. What cracks me up the most is that in hindsight everybody has agreed with him. What a shameful display that was.

What started as justified anger and disappointment from Mass Effect fans after the "fuck you" that ME3's ending was, it quickly spiraled out of control. Don't get me wrong I ansolutely hate it and it was the last straw in my goodwill towards Bioware, but some people went overboard man. I saw more outrage over that shit ending than the genocide in Darfur.

Heh, these were the first two examples I thought of as well.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By haffy

I find a fair few people in MOBA games pretty unbearable. All they do is blame their team mates for everything and bitch and whine. Cba with that.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By jimi

I find the Heroes of Newerth playerbase pretty unbearable. They are a bunch of trolls unified by their collective hate for S2 games (the people who make the game), pretty much a recipe for disaster.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By dungbootle

@Fallen189 said:

All of them, ever
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

That recent Mass Effect 3 thing was pretty fucking bad. The ending sucked but people went to far. I loved Mass Effect 3 but thought the ending was really bad. I didn't feel like that ending took away the 30 hours I had playing up to the point, or over the 100 hours I spent playing the whole series. It's ten fucking minutes. No need to threaten people's lives, call EA the worst company in the world over companies that have taken people's homes, take legal action. Fucking idiots.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By falserelic

Wait a sec Mass effect fans actually threaten the employees at bioware over the ME3 ending? WOW.....

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By mikey87144

I think it's unfair to say fans of x are angry. It usually is a small but vocal minority that causes people to paint a broad brush over the entire fanbase. All that being said the most militant fanbase I can think of are Trekies.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By Bollard

@Canteu: Can't believe this is the second thread this week with a "most" and "-est" in the title.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By falserelic

@Chavtheworld said:

@Canteu: Can't believe this is the second thread this week with a "most" and "-est" in the title.

I'm not perfect but I will learn from my falseways and move on.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By stryker1121

The level of hate pointed at BioWare post-ME3 was ridiculous. Coming off the back of Dragon Age 2 fans were already twisted up, but the volcano of vitriol re the ending controversy, and the lengths people went to express it, was one of those "I'm embarrassed to be a gamer" moments that seem more frequent these days.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By imsh_pl

How could've Jeff given Twilight Princess 8.8 I am so angry.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Deathmachine117

Most video game fans I find are just some of the most narrow minded and easily winded up people on this planet. They on one hand willow on about games not innovating then when they do or change too much it becomes too mainstream or trying to appeal to the CoD fans.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DG991

@TeflonBilly said:

Probably Zelda fans after Jeff's 8.8 review of Twilight Princess. I mean, people were livid, some going so far as to track down his parents' phonenumber and harrass them and shit if I remember correctly. Plus all the hate and vitriol, yikes. What cracks me up the most is that in hindsight everybody has agreed with him. What a shameful display that was.

What started as justified anger and disappointment from Mass Effect fans after the "fuck you" that ME3's ending was, it quickly spiraled out of control. Don't get me wrong I ansolutely hate it and it was the last straw in my goodwill towards Bioware, but some people went overboard man. I saw more outrage over that shit ending than the genocide in Darfur.

The Zelda thing is something I forgot about... 8.8 is a generous score for that game and for the record I love the shit out of that game. I want to replay it soon actually, I wish they would remaster it for the wii U. God I want to play it right now actually... but I acknowledge the faults of the game. The amount of anger for that game was intense.

But I am sorry... there should have been even MORE anger about that ME3 shit. It wasn't even just about the ending for me, it was about everything that game represented. After DA 2 fucked up DA: O amazing experience, I was not going to be forgiving on the next game. Then they release this piece of shit on Origin, forcing me to install it if I choose to actually buy it legally... which I did (I wish I torrented it), and they have DAY 1 DLC that is a core part of the game experience imo.

The ending and the pay to win multiplayer was just a nice pile of crap on top of the shit cake. That game is a perfect example of an amazing franchise being ruined by greed. No respect or concern at all for the fans and legal customers.

My friend and I love ME 1 and 2, but we actually have lengthy angry rants about how disappointed we are with ME3 and sometimes we need to cool off because we get so angry lol. I wish I was joking, it is probably the stupidest first world problem ever, but it's true. I've never been more pissed off about a video game.

Now for my contribution... I don't know if I would call them the angriest, but the old counter strike community used to be just terribly cruel to anyone and everyone. They probably still are, but that is why I left. Starcraft is almost the exact opposite in a bad way, they just circle jerk every time they talk about anything.

sprode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By sprode

In terms of gaming, I was going to say Final Fantasy or Sonic. For the former, damn people get really angry if someone dares hate on the newer titles, and for the latter, damn people get really angry if you criticize their Sonic (about the only time I ever remember having to come to the defense of a reviewer).

Not that I am a Bioware fan any longer, but unfortunately the legitimate criticisms about Mass Effect 3 inevitably got swept into the same label of "whining fanboy" - and the other side, the die-hard Bioware knights, were as bad as a lot of the psychos. Like Bioware are beyond reproach, and the whole "artistic integrity" excuse.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By Bollard

@falserelic said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I'm not perfect but I will learn from my falseways and move on.

It was no slight at you, I'm just genuinely surprised it happened twice.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Getz

Well, given the past year I'd think Bioware fans are the quickest to whine about things.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Getz

@bibamatt said:

The Giant Bomb fanbase. Try criticizing the site's content/the bombcast and get destroyed by fanboys.

...HALF joking.

OMG HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT I WILL HEADBUTT YOUR KIDNEYS

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamers in general are just angry.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#69  Edited By musubi

@falserelic said:

@amir90 said:

I remember when Devil May Cry 4 was coming for the 360, there was actually a petition for it, AGAINST IT!

Some PS3 fans have been really angry, more so than the Nintendo and 360 fans.

Most have been already mentioned.

I was abit angry how DMC4 turnout. I felt like the game had potential.

DMC 4 was a fantastic game. It was a hellva lot better than what DMC 2 turned out to be.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By paulwade1984

@bibamatt said:

The Giant Bomb fanbase. Try criticizing the site's content/the bombcast and get destroyed by fanboys.

...HALF joking.

This.

The Giantbomb defense force can be amazingly narrow minded. Gold help anyone who dares question persona 4 as well.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mrpandaman

@Cincaid said:

(Edit to show I don't hate fans of Japanese games, which wasn't my intention)

• Mass Effect fans. Oh boy. Threatening the lives of Bioware employees? Check. Suing Bioware? Check. Harassing and stalking one of the writers (who didn't even work on ME3)? Check. The list goes on.

Yeah those Mass Effect fans... and some people wondered why the journalists "attacked" the fans.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Pissed off fanbases?

Fan is short for Fanatic. ;)

With that in mind- you must realize that all Fanbases are wretched, short-sighted, easily offended scum by default. Some are just worse than others. :P

>_>

As for the question itself... The four angriest fanbases I've seen would have to be: (In no particular order)

1. Nintendo(Many other posters have given the main examples of this)
  2. League of Legends(See below >_> )
  3. Starcraft 2(I dare you to visit either of these forums, I DARE YOU <_< )
  4. Mass Effect(Again, for obvious reasons)
Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By Zenogiasu

Valve and Mass Effect are the first ones that come to mind. The whole backlash from ME3's ending still blows my mind.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By falserelic

@Demoskinos said:

@falserelic said:

@amir90 said:

I remember when Devil May Cry 4 was coming for the 360, there was actually a petition for it, AGAINST IT!

DMC 4 was a fantastic game. It was a hellva lot better than what DMC 2 turned out to be.

I didn't hate DMC 4 I just found it abit disappointing. It is better then DMC 2 but I still felt like it had potential. I felt like they could have done more with Nero and expanded his abilities. They should have just focus on just him in the game instead of switching to Dante halfway in. When we got to play as Dante it was just backtracking and fighting the same enemies. It annoyed me alot this is just how I feel. Everytime I think about DMC 4 I feel like it could have been better.

I was beyond hyped for that game when it came out. But then found disappointment, and I imagine just walking down a lonely dark road. As for the new DMC game coming out. I really didn't think its necessary to reboot the franchise.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#75  Edited By Red

Like everyone else, I absolutely hate all of the apocalyptic heresy about BioWare. They made three games in a row that yes, have sizable problems, but they're still great games, and BioWare's still the most consistent developer around.

I also get very annoyed by Diablo fans. That old petition to change the art style of Diablo 3 into something less colorful is probably the most ridiculous petition I've seen. And, by definition, petitions have to be pretty bloody ridiculous.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By musubi

@falserelic said:

@Demoskinos said:

@falserelic said:

@amir90 said:

I didn't hate DMC 4 I just found it abit disappointing. It is better then DMC 2 but I still felt like it had potential. I felt like they could have done more with Nero and expanded his abilities. They should have just focus on just him in the game instead of switching to Dante halfway in. When we got to play as Dante it was just backtracking and fighting the same enemies. It annoyed me alot this is just how I feel. Everytime I think about DMC 4 I feel like it could have been better.

I was beyond hyped for that game when it came out. But then found disappointment, and I imagine just walking down a lonely dark road. As for the new DMC game coming out. I really didn't think its necessary to reboot the franchise.

I do agree with that somewhat. I think they should have just focused on Nero. I think they were going to but then got cold feet because they feared a DMC without Dante would have been a sales disaster for them. Would have been rad for them to pull a MGS2 though. Also the backtracking doesn't annoy me I mean ALL of the DMC games are backtracking. You fight all the bosses in DMC 1 three times each. In DMC 3 you fight each boss at least twice and backtrack like crazy. Its kind of par for the series really. So I don't really get that point but I do agree in the fact that the game seemed to lack a distinct focus at some points. But Dante was at his most absurd ever in DMC 4 so I have to forgive it. I mean I think he might have outdone his sillyness in DMC 3 at points.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By Death_Burnout

Well I can drop a really shitty 'fanbase'

APB.

Boom.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By Vexxan

Call of Duty fans and Playstation fans.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@DG991 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

The Zelda thing is something I forgot about... 8.8 is a generous score for that game and for the record I love the shit out of that game. I want to replay it soon actually, I wish they would remaster it for the wii U. God I want to play it right now actually... but I acknowledge the faults of the game. The amount of anger for that game was intense.

But I am sorry... there should have been even MORE anger about that ME3 shit. It wasn't even just about the ending for me, it was about everything that game represented. After DA 2 fucked up DA: O amazing experience, I was not going to be forgiving on the next game. Then they release this piece of shit on Origin, forcing me to install it if I choose to actually buy it legally... which I did (I wish I torrented it), and they have DAY 1 DLC that is a core part of the game experience imo.

The ending and the pay to win multiplayer was just a nice pile of crap on top of the shit cake. That game is a perfect example of an amazing franchise being ruined by greed. No respect or concern at all for the fans and legal customers.

My friend and I love ME 1 and 2, but we actually have lengthy angry rants about how disappointed we are with ME3 and sometimes we need to cool off because we get so angry lol. I wish I was joking, it is probably the stupidest first world problem ever, but it's true. I've never been more pissed off about a video game.

Now for my contribution... I don't know if I would call them the angriest, but the old counter strike community used to be just terribly cruel to anyone and everyone. They probably still are, but that is why I left. Starcraft is almost the exact opposite in a bad way, they just circle jerk every time they talk about anything.

'Cause I guess naming EA among the worst companies in America (over companies that have taken people's homes), legal action, and death threats were not enough for Mass Effect 3. I thought the ending was shit but people took it way to far.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By doobie

@falserelic said:

@Demoskinos said:

@falserelic said:

@amir90 said:

if you was beyond hype... was it possible for the game to live up to that massive expectation.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Loafsmooch

League of Legends for sure. All the kids truly HATE all the new players who's trying to learn, or even whenever an obviously experienced player makes a single mistake. And of course, the hatred rubs off, those who stick around despite the hatred quickly learn to act the same way. I know several 20+ year old dudes who play LoL, and they act the same way those little racist kids do. They call people faggots and rage on them as soon as someone makes a mistake, then put everyone on ignore while continuing to type offensive things. Like wtf? How could anyone over the age of 16 act that way? Seriously?

That horrible mentality most of the players possess is the only reason I don't enjoy playing any more.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Quarters

I'd say it's very close to being the Bioware fans now. Those dudes go nuts.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By falserelic

@Demoskinos said:

@falserelic said:

@Demoskinos said:

@falserelic said:

@amir90 said:

I do agree with that somewhat. I think they should have just focused on Nero. I think they were going to but then got cold feet because they feared a DMC without Dante would have been a sales disaster for them. Would have been rad for them to pull a MGS2 though. Also the backtracking doesn't annoy me I mean ALL of the DMC games are backtracking. You fight all the bosses in DMC 1 three times each. In DMC 3 you fight each boss at least twice and backtrack like crazy. Its kind of par for the series really. So I don't really get that point but I do agree in the fact that the game seemed to lack a distinct focus at some points. But Dante was at his most absurd ever in DMC 4 so I have to forgive it. I mean I think he might have outdone his sillyness in DMC 3 at points.

True, all of the DMC games had some backtracking, but it didn't annoy me as much as DMC 4 did. I guess with Dante I was expecting him to have his own scenario. But instead he had to do everything that Nero did for most part. I just found it to be annoying. Maybe the new DMC game can change things for the better or worse.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By connerthekewlkid

mass effect fanboys becuase one group has literally started up their own gaming website when they saw the review scores for mass effect 3 and though all of the other sites were biased and paid off

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Loafsmooch: i mean it wasnt that guys fault at all that we lost. it was obviusly my fault because i was feeding to hard by going 5 and 7

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By falserelic

@doobie said:

@falserelic said:

@Demoskinos said:

@falserelic said:

@amir90 said:

if you was beyond hype... was it possible for the game to live up to that massive expectation.

At the time I was just blinded by high expectation so it was my fault.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@doobie said:

@falserelic said:

@Demoskinos said:

@falserelic said:

@amir90 said:

I would say that DMC4 was a good game but it falls short of great because of Dante's parts. If Dante had his own levels and bosses it would have been better. I really liked Nero's part though and didn't think they needed to improve much on that. I never really cared to much about the Devil May Cry story so DMC4 was about the same as the others, I just want to see Dante and the others do crazy stupid shit like get into a Shakespearien duel against one of the bosses or watching Nero jump on 30 dudes then horribly stabbing them. DMC2 is super repetitive beyond DMC4's repetitiveness and the best way to kill people was to use your guns, I didn't use Dante's sword at all in DMC2 because it sucked so hard. It had none of the other DMC's strengths.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By musubi

@SethPhotopoulos: For sure. DMC 2 had a boss against a demonic skyscraper and made it boring as hell. On paper that sounds like the most batshit insane bossfight ever and they totally fucked it up.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Demoskinos said:

@SethPhotopoulos: For sure. DMC 2 had a boss against a demonic skyscraper and made it boring as hell. On paper that sounds like the most batshit insane bossfight ever and they totally fucked it up.

Dante suddenly became a mute.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By falserelic

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Demoskinos said:

Yeah I didn't get that either about DMC 2. All the sudden Dante was quiet.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Lunar_Aura

MarketWatch article comments.

So many soreass doom and gloomers. I really thought they would be more educated than YouTube commenters, but in some ways they're actually worse.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Sega and NeoGeo MVS/AES fanboys are batshit insane. No grip on reality whatsoever. Also furries.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@Red said:

Like everyone else, I absolutely hate all of the apocalyptic heresy about BioWare. They made three games in a row that yes, have sizable problems, but they're still great games, and BioWare's still the most consistent developer around.

I also get very annoyed by Diablo fans. That old petition to change the art style of Diablo 3 into something less colorful is probably the most ridiculous petition I've seen. And, by definition, petitions have to be pretty bloody ridiculous.

Yes, because we really need more brown and gray in our video games.

@paulwade1984 said:

@bibamatt said:

...HALF joking.

This.

The Giantbomb defense force can be amazingly narrow minded. Gold help anyone who dares question persona 4 as well.

If you think about it, the GiantBomb Defense Force might just be disappointed and angry that they don't get to go around in fancy armored suits and shoot rockets and giant insects. But I mean, who wouldn't be, really?

To answer the question, I'd also say that the BioWare and Mass Effect "fanbase" is one of the best examples in recent memory. That whole ordeal actually made me a bit ashamed to be part of the "gaming" population (I really don't like the term "gamer" as is, and this really didn't help). For all the advances that have been made for video games and the people who play them to be more acceptable and incorporated into society, there are instances like that that make a case that people who play video games should still be ostracized as they have been in years past. Threatening the lives and families of people who put a lot of hard work into making a game that is actually still rather good just because you don't like it, or rather, the very last 10 minutes of it? Easily some of the most disgustingly petty and embarrassing things I've seen in a long time.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Loafsmooch

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Loafsmooch: i mean it wasnt that guys fault at all that we lost. it was obviusly my fault because i was feeding to hard by going 5 and 7

Yes indeed, and you shouldn't have let their whole team come to your lane and make you lose your towers so fast while the rest of us were happily farming our empty lanes for a half an hour. That was all your fault.

Seriously though, I pity the typical LoL fool. By always blaming others and never accepting their own mistakes they learn at a 10x slower rate than a normal individual.

If I were to judge them by their online behaviour I'd say they're a bunch of inbreds with less than 80 IQ and have abusive parents who beat them every night. But I really try not to.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@falserelic said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Demoskinos said:

My theory as to why Devil May Cry hasn't had a proper sequel since 2 is because they don't want to follow that game up at all. DMC3 Prequel, DMC4 Interquelquel, the new DMC Reboot.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By falserelic

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@falserelic said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Demoskinos said:

My theory as to why Devil May Cry hasn't had a proper sequel since 2 is because they don't want to follow that game up at all. DMC3 Prequel, DMC4 Interquelquel, the new DMC Reboot.

I'm very skeptical about the Reboot for DMC. But I will be optimistic and hope the game turnsout good.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#96  Edited By AndrewB

I'd hate to think I'm including this one because it's the most recent and therefore sticks out in my head, but the Mass Effect crowd has to take the cake.

I didn't much care for the way that arm of Bioware ended things, judging from the fact that I only played the game once and have no intention of ever finishing my second playthrough (though I *did* finish the game on Insanity from the get-go, so maybe I feel like I have nothing left to accomplish from it), but I just kinda said "meh," made a mental note to think harder about buying a Bioware game in the future, and moved on.

But oh my god, did I sure have to listen to the bitching for months. So much bitching that it got the developers to change the ending; unfortunately not in a way that stifled the "fans." It only pissed them off more.

All I can think is that you guys need to lighten up. No medium caters well to sequels. I feel like the only good parts of TV shows are the first couple of seasons, the only good movies are the original stories, and the only good video games fall somewhere between the two. You just need to learn when they've moved beyond the point of creative outlet and into the realm of money-sucking, and be careful about what you pay them for, lest you entice more of the same behavior.

But I might also be biased about this one for how often I see angry Mass Effect fan response videos on my Youtube recommended videos list, for some reason.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#97  Edited By Little_Socrates

@DG991: Again, theythreatened the lives of BioWare employees and harassed one of the writers whose input was minimal on the game. More anger was absolutely not necessary.

I believe it's either the Mass Effect fans or the old guard PC crowd. Though the old guard has a minority ruining it for everybody, it just sucks to read hundreds of "THIS IS GONNA SUCK 'CAUSE IT'S NOT LIKE MY TEN-YEAR-OLD GAME" comments every time a great reboot of a PC classic comes about.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ShaggE

Blizzard fans. Browsing their forums is like watching a bunch of people who were banned from 4chan for being too asshole-ish.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By doobie

@DG991 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

yeah cos i whenever i have a point to make at work i find if just get really angry and start shouting and making death threats my point is nearly always taken seriously.