• 108 results
#1 Posted by JEC03 (1426 posts) -

What do you think it is? for me it's Medal of Honor Allied Assault the game got alot of praise for it's singeplayer but I actually feel the MP is what makes the game special. The most notable mode in MP is objective one team plays as Nazi's the other as Allies. Nazi's have to plant a bomb and Alllies have to defuse it before the time runs out seems simple enough but there's actually real good strategy and teamwork involved it's one of the best clan games ever. You can lean to avoid enemy fire and also lean on the edge's of walls to peek. There's also other tactics like walking quieting so your enemy doesn't hear your foot steps and other stuff like bouncing a grenade into a open door frame to clear out or kill a enemy. I know this game copied the original Counter Strike gameplay in alot of ways but I still feel this MP is underrated so what's yours?

#2 Posted by forkboy (1584 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption. I have rarely had more fun than I had with that online. A massive world, a group of friends on voice chat, all agreeing to go to the north east to hunt bears with knives. Beautiful fun.

#3 Posted by paulmako (1688 posts) -

The 2004 four-player driving game Mashed.

#4 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10212 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 3

#5 Posted by AdequatelyPrepared (2480 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 3

Assassin's Creed MP was the one and only online MP my younger sister, who really could not care less about video games, really got into. It was bizarre, I really was not expecting it.

#6 Posted by ATastySlurpee (219 posts) -

The Last of Us

#7 Posted by berniesbc (140 posts) -

Snoopy Flying Ace

#8 Posted by turboman (9106 posts) -

The Last of Us

Popped in to say this. There are a lot of super smart decisions in The Last of Us' multiplayer. The looting system is designed to keep the flow moving and prevents people from camping out in one spot. The melee combat feels good (which seems impossible to design). The meta game of bringing your friends in from facebook is pretty engaging. The reviving system was always an engaging risk/reward... etc.

#9 Edited by Atwa (1555 posts) -

Shadowrun on the Xbox 360. Spent hundreds of hours on that game. It got so much hate because, well it wasn't really Shadowrun. But it had so much unique and cool ideas and so many ways to play it. It really had a lot of depth and the community was awesome.

#10 Posted by DharmaBum (1703 posts) -

@atwa said:

Shadowrun on the Xbox 360. Spent hundreds of hours on that game. It got so much hate because, well it wasn't really Shadowrun. But it had so much unique and cool ideas and so many ways to play it. It really had a lot of depth and the community was awesome.

This is what immediately comes to mind for me.

Gears Judgment's OverRun mode also.

#11 Posted by RonGalaxy (4688 posts) -

Agar.io. It's one of the few multiplayer games that makes a meaningful statement, whether it's intentional or not.

#12 Posted by Meatley (6 posts) -

Plain Sight, now eagerly awaiting Plain Sight 2.

#13 Posted by sammo21 (5294 posts) -

Most underrated? No idea, but I think that Warhammer 40k:Space Marine multiplayer was way more fun than it had any right to be.

#14 Edited by fisk0 (6357 posts) -

Most of my favorite multiplayer games have small but dedicated crowds playing them, not sure I'd qualify them as underrated (including the aforementioned Shadowrun). Only game that really comes to mind is Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. That game was deservedly critized for its generally poor single player campaign and lack of continuity with the other Ace Combat games, but the multiplayer was absolutely amazing, especially the Capital Conquest mode while their metagame site was still up - players joined different nations with a capital to protect, and then tried to conquer the other nations' capitals in a mode where most of the mechanics from the campaign were included, having players do bombing runs, fight in helicopters and all classes of aircraft and all that.

Sadly the metagame was shut down before they even released the PC port, and that version failed to really catch a player base since it originally launched with GFWL.

Come to think of it, I actually also really enjoyed Medal of Honor: Warfighter's multiplayer, it had a really interesting take of Battlefield's squad system where players were paired up in fire teams where you could resupply and heal each other, and were rewarded for helping each other fulfill objectives and staying close to each other.

Oh, there's also the reviled Daikatana. I won't make any excuses for how the single player/co-op campaign was executed, but the deathmatch mode was fantastic, a lot of ridiculous weapons that were fun to use, like the burst firing six barelled shotgun you could rocket jump with, and the plasma gun with ricocheting projectiles that you could bounce around corners.

#15 Posted by GuitarGod (40 posts) -

The Last of Us

yup, came here to post this.

the remasterd version for PS4 though, excellent multiplayer.

uncharted 4 multiplayer is quite good as well.

#16 Posted by planetfunksquad (1365 posts) -

Pokemon's Battle Spot Doubles. The fact that before a match it shows you your opponents team and you have to pick 4 pokemon from your team of 6 adds so much. It's like drafting of DotA or something. And since you can't see your opponents moves or items until they've used them leads to fun mind games. Plus (most) Legendaries are banned, as well as using duplicate pokemon and items, meaning a lot less bullshit happens compared to just finding random matches.

#17 Posted by dudeglove (12579 posts) -

Uncharted 4 for the dance emotes?

#18 Edited by Ravey (426 posts) -
Loading Video...

Sub Rosa: a three-way, objective and team-based shooter that revolves around social dynamics, tense deals, double-crosses, intense firefights, and unrelenting car chases. It's a deliberate, well designed and polished shooter, which is remarkable given that it was put together in about 10 weeks.

You can download the free version from here.

#19 Posted by JohnLocke (678 posts) -

I would not say of all time, but, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was so fun when it first came out (the ideas people had on the demo for their racers was fantastic) but when the full game came out it seemed like it died at launch for numbers of people playing. I would still like to play this online on the Rare Replay disk. So much fun in the modes (races, carry the egg, etc) and some out there ideas (i.e. building a cart that could trap others underneath you, odd shapes, etc). I hope we get a true sequel to this game at some point as I would be down for more of it.

#20 Posted by MeierTheRed (5333 posts) -

Real answer is Chromehounds.

#21 Posted by alphanull (31 posts) -

@atwa said:

Shadowrun on the Xbox 360.

#22 Posted by ZolRoyce (1621 posts) -

@johnlocke: The Thursday Night Throwdown where they played Nuts and Bolts was the best TNT to me ever, such an imaginative little game. Someone built a tron vehicle and tried to pick up other peoples vehicles! It was nuts! and bolts.

I don't play much multiplayer anymore, sort of here and there, but the one game I put years into that I never really hear anyone mention fondly was Delta Force 2, it was before Call of Duty 1 even came out, so not well remembered, building custom maps in it was so fun and easy back then that the servers were always so varied, huge player numbers for a game back then, all of the weapon load outs and choices, a good bunch of modes, being able to kill people by knifing them in the shin. That was my childhood MP game truly.
I also had a soft spot for Condemned 2's multiplayer, but that was mostly due to the one life mode. I find those modes almost too stressful to play now these days, always feel like people get so upset with you when you die. I really should just mute everyone and try not to care so much, but always with the yelling.

#23 Edited by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -

I'm sry I don't have anything to contribute. I skimmed through the thread and have to comment, there is literally nothing underrated about The Last of Us.

#24 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (2696 posts) -

@turboman said:
@atastyslurpee said:

The Last of Us

Popped in to say this. There are a lot of super smart decisions in The Last of Us' multiplayer. The looting system is designed to keep the flow moving and prevents people from camping out in one spot. The melee combat feels good (which seems impossible to design). The meta game of bringing your friends in from facebook is pretty engaging. The reviving system was always an engaging risk/reward... etc.

As much as I want to agree, they really bungled it up with pay-to-win garbage later in the game's life span. The core game is great, but there're a ton of really strong weapons and perks that you need to pay for. They are included in some pre-made classes, but if you actually want to use them in your own classes you have to buy them.

It's a real shame they sabotaged the game like that, because it's otherwise very good.

#25 Posted by meteora3255 (465 posts) -

Syndicate, the first person shooter. I'm in the Jeff camp and loved the single player but the co-op multi-player was a ton of fun as well.

#26 Posted by turboman (9106 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: I only played it on PS3, so I never experienced that. It seems like the PS4 version of the multiplayer was kind of a shame with that stuff being added.

#27 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (2696 posts) -

@turboman said:

@ll_exile_ll: I only played it on PS3, so I never experienced that. It seems like the PS4 version of the multiplayer was kind of a shame with that stuff being added.

I believe that stuff was in the PS3 version, but well after launch. Like you I played it a bunch when first came out (enough to get the platinum trophy) and absolutely loved it. I actually specifically bought the remastered version to play with some friends of mine that never had a PS3. Needless to say, it was very disappointing to see the extent of game-altering microtransactions when originally it was limited to cosmetic items.

#28 Edited by BoOzak (1719 posts) -

I remember enjoying Anarchy Reigns quite a bit, the player base fell off fast though. (not that it was very big to begin with) Personally I preferred it's multiplayer to other hack and slash games that have attempted competitive multiplayer in the past like Ninja Gaiden and God of War.

For Honor is a very different thing, which seems cool but much like Rainbow Six Siege I think paying full price for a game like that (which is rife with microtransactions) is a bit much. (Anarchy Reigns was £15 new when it came out and had no microtransactions)

#29 Posted by fisk0 (6357 posts) -

Syndicate, the first person shooter. I'm in the Jeff camp and loved the single player but the co-op multi-player was a ton of fun as well.

Yup, that was a great co-op mode, actually managed to capture a little of the feeling of the original Syndicate at times, but even on its own it was a fun thing.

#30 Edited by Onemanarmyy (2569 posts) -

Warcraft 3. While most people acknowledge that war3 popularized moba's and tower defense, apart from the many custom games it also offered a solid ranked mode that gives you new portraits as you get better, a clansystem, and an automated tournament mode that made it worthwhile to play a variety of modes like 4v4 or ffa. I think I spent at least 3 years hanging around on battle.Net. I still think that Warcraft 3 battlenet was one of the best multiplayer packages in the history of games.

#31 Posted by Retris (270 posts) -

@boozak: Anarchy Reigns is still my favourite Platinum game. That gameplay mixed with that soundtrack was just great. It never really got a fair shake from people.

I agree with most of the games in this thread. Especially on the Last of Us. The multiplayer is such a deliberate, tense experience that you'll end up holding your breath and sweating out of anxiety in every game.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Brutal Legend. The multiplayer in that game actually works a lot like Sacrifice which was a fantastic RTS game.

#32 Posted by cmblasko (2386 posts) -

I am not sure if "multi player" really means "online multi player" here, but I have always felt that Def Jam: Fight for New York is overlooked as a fantastic fighting game.

#33 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (3425 posts) -

Harm's Way. That game was fun to co-op against other people online.

#34 Posted by kcin (807 posts) -

@paulmako said:

The 2004 four-player driving game Mashed.

anyone who disagrees with this is a dumb cookie crumb

#35 Posted by clagnaught (1267 posts) -

As other people have said, The Last of Us.

One thing I would add to the discussion was it felt like the multiplayer really thrived by making both the execution and play style matter. Since there are limits in place such as the amount of bullets and consumables, to be successful largely depended on the strategy you used. As an example, here is one of my favorite encounters in the game.

In a game of Survivor, it was 2 vs 3. The enemy team spotted my teammate, but not me. They started to chase him through the town as he climbed up on top of a structure like a mobile home. He was both out numbered and out gunned, but the high ground made it so they had trouble hitting him. While all this was happening, I was crawling behind the enemy team, stalking them. When they were looking up focused on the top part of the building, I walked up around the corner with a shotgun with about 6 shells and started blasting away at them. In a couple of seconds, all three of them were down and eliminated.

In most games, it feels like you would just run up to somebody and shoot them. In other shooters, the one guy against three other people should not have a chance. But The Last of Us lead to a lot of situations where the chase would be on, or encounters where you would lay a trap or psyche somebody out to take them out or evade death. Of course there are less subtle encounters than this. I remember getting destroyed by one guy whose strategy was crawl around and blast people in the face with the shorty or shotgun. While that strategy worked, a good marksman or somebody with a bow could be even more dangerous.

I always loved how The Last of Us played, and the multiplayer took those concepts to the next level. The large and diverse maps, the possible weapon and ability combinations, and the fact that you never really knew what type of opponent you were going to face almost always made the game exciting.

#36 Posted by ripelivejam (10908 posts) -

Metal Warriors

#37 Edited by TakyonDG (36 posts) -

I was such a huge fan of the hide-and-seek style of MP that was in Assassin's Creed for a while. My roommate had bought III and I had already burned out on AC single-player but lots of good times were had in the MP.

I also want to shout out Brutal Legend and Anarchy Reigns which were both criminally misunderstood / underplayed. Those game had maybe three months of solid MP that really was unlike anything I've ever played.

Another one was Condemned II's multiplayer. A little rough around the edges but good god was that one visceral multiplayer experience.

I'm always a sucker for non-traditional/non-shooter MP experiences. I just hate how 99 percent of them have nonexistent communities after a month or two. Anarchy Reigns in particular was so badly handled by Sega that I think it never had a chance.

#38 Posted by Retris (270 posts) -

@ripelivejam: I'm still annoyed that Titanfall doesn't steal from Metal Warriors. I want crazy rolling ball mechs and spider mechs.

#39 Posted by DanishingAct (162 posts) -

@meierthered: chromehounds was my jam. So much jank, but I loved the communication needed to win

#40 Posted by BojackHorseman (691 posts) -

Maybe Bioshock 2 actually. It's actually very good.

#41 Edited by Brackstone (473 posts) -

People saying The Last of Us are correct. I was not expecting to get into the multiplayer of that game nearly as much as I did. There's never been a greater thrill in a multiplayer game than getting into a gunfight with a guy, then you run out of ammo and he starts to reload, and you just rush him with a 2x4 and beat him to death before he can get a shot off. The multiplayer had it's issues, but boy was it fun and different. I hope Last of Us 2 can live up to it's predecessor.

I'll also throw out The Banner Saga: Factions. The game could get really intense when you got farther into it, and party composition/order/stats were all great fun to manage.

Now for my controversial pick of the evening, Kane and Lynch 2. I like the game, and I know it has a bad reputation, but seriously, the multiplayer was fantastic. The basic mode, with people betraying the team to get extra cash, dead teammates coming back as cops with a vendetta, and the frantic gunplay of the game made it really intense. It was also nice because it was a weird mix of co-op and competitive, and you could feel like you did really well even if you didn't win.

Then you consider the undercover cop mode, where you still have traitors, but if you die, you're dead, and one of your team is secretly a cop who wants to murder you when no one is looking, but loses/gets penalized if they kill the ai cops/goons. The dude who was the undercover cop literally had to pretend to shoot cops by shooting close enough to them that it wasn't obvious, but without ever hitting them.

No multiplayer game has ever made me feel more paranoid. I remember spending portions of the game, sitting around at the escape zone waiting for a van to show up, nervously staring at my teammates to see if one of them was going to try something.

#42 Posted by soulcake (981 posts) -

Tabula Rasa and the Serious Sam multiplayer. Also the Empires mod for HL2.

#43 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6563 posts) -

I could probably come up with some games more deserving, but off the top of my head, I'd nominate Anarchy Reigns if for no other reason I can't think of any other noteworthy 3rd person multiplayer brawlers. It's a great cast of fun, over-the-top, and unique characters. It's got a great soundtrack. It has a good amount of modes. The gameplay doesn't feel quite as tight and fluid as I would like, but it's loud, choatic, and still fun at the end of the day. And most importantly, it's got ssssssssssstyle.

#44 Posted by Strathy (136 posts) -

Carmageddon 2, played like an open world destruction derby. Played many hours of that over a crusty IPX LAN back in the day. Still the fondest memories of any multiplayer gaming I have.

#45 Posted by Bribo (716 posts) -

Road Rash 2.

#46 Posted by MeierTheRed (5333 posts) -

@meierthered: chromehounds was my jam. So much jank, but I loved the communication needed to win

Not perfect, but so much fun. I spent countless hours in the garage just tinkering with stuff.

#47 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10212 posts) -

@adequatelyprepared: AC multiplayer was very cerebral at its core; almost exclusively about your mental approach/skill/style and not about dumb reflexes or anything; of course over the community did its best to ruin that and make it "action-ey" in various lame ways but if you were good enough at the game you could still be stylish/stealthy and win so ultimately even though every modern multiplayer game's community tries to destroy it (a common refrain from developers) AC held up against that very well.

#48 Edited by Undeadpool (5904 posts) -

Divekick.

I'm not kidding, that game was active for two weeks and was some of THE MOST fun I had online. From people not realizing what the game was (when someone stood stark still for 3 consecutive rounds, you could almost hear the guy on the other end going "WHY DOESN'T THE D-PAD MOVE ME?!?!?!?") to some of the most tense games of chicken I have ever played, the only thing wrong with it was that people bounced off it so fast. I will STILL boot up the PC version every now and then in the vain hopes that SOMEONE else in that moment wants to play the purest fighting game ever made.

#49 Edited by ozzdog12 (1116 posts) -

Initially, I was going to say The Last of Us, but that's been covered in this thread so far.

As I tend to play more coop game rather than flat out multiplayer, some of the most fun I've had recently 'unexpectedly' is Rise of the Tomb Raider coop Endurance. Man is it such a blast to play with a friend. Also, Dead Rising 2 coop was some of the BEST 'mulitplayer' experience I've ever had back on the 360.

Still not sure those qualify.

#50 Posted by LonelySpacePanda (383 posts) -

@atwa said:

Shadowrun on the Xbox 360.

I had so much fun with this game on release. It's Counter-Strike mixed with special magic abilities -- like Overwatch. It was ahead of its time, even featuring cross-platform play between PC and console. The only problem was that it had no interest in actually being a Shadowrun game. Otherwise, it was fantastic and holds some of my favorite early 360 memories. It was so weird playing a first-person shooter and shouting "everyone gather around my healing tree" while a dwarf blasts a flying elf with a shotgun.