What's the most you've paid for an old game?

• 106 results
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Brunchies

50 dollars I think for KOTOR 2, I got ripped off pretty badly. It could also be where I paid 40 dollars for Amped which was 2 to 3 years old at the time, the cut scenes made it worth the purchase.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By ch3burashka

I paid 60 bucks for a copy of ICO on craigslist. It was 100 bucks everywhere else. Spoilers: totally worth it.

I have yet to buy Steambot Chronicles, which is going for about 50-60 bucks on Amazon, if you can even find it. Sure, that's not that much for a PS2 game, but the lack of availability makes it a hard pill to swallow.

PS Totally pissed they cancelled Steambot Chronicles 2...

PSS Bumpy Trot is such a better name than Steambot Chronicles.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By captain_max707

$40 for a copy of System Shock 2

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By GreggD

@CaptainCody said:

@GreggD said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@GreggD said:

I paid like 60+ for a copy of Tomba!. Perfectly reasonable purchase, really.

Are you kidding me? that's a steal!

Guess it's the benefit of having a local store that specializes in old games and rarities.

Yeah, wow. I love how Tomba is the default rare ass PS1 game, my brother bought a copy a few years ago for quite a sum. Funny enough, I have a blockbuster copy of Brave Fencer Musashi that I bought for 7 bucks when I was a kid. One of the best and most valuable games I have ever played stained by a massive fucking blockbuster stamp thing on the disc. Still, holy shit is that game perfect.

Edit: An Amazon check just told me the game is $127 new, I'm happy enough to know I own the game.

I've got the same, but with Vagrant Story and Threads of Fate. And mine are Hollywood Video, instead of Blockbuster.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By Zleunamme

$40 for a used copy of Rez. I also payed the same amount for SMT: Nocturne. $45 for Digital Devil Saga I and $35 for DDS 2. My only justification for those purchases is that those copies are hard to find. Flea Markets are good place to find old games.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56  Edited By SpudBug

I was lucky to find a copy of Earthbound with the guide for $80 a few years back on amazon marketplace. The values have nearly doubled since then.

wakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By wakka

I think $34, for Pokemon Yellow. It was complete and in excellent condition .. mhhmm.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DeF

@SpudBug said:

I was lucky to find a copy of Earthbound with the guide for $80 a few years back on amazon marketplace. The values have nearly doubled since then.

Good on you. I paid $300 for Earthbound boxed with the guide ... then sold it half a year or so later because it was ridiculous and I needed money badly.

@PassiveKaerenai said:

£40 for MGS2 at one point. Which in Americapounds is like $250. Don't recall how/why

one of these numbers is wrong.^^ either you paid more than £40 (since 40 pounds is pretty much the regular retail price for games in the UK everywhere I look) or you're just throwing the $250 around like it's candy in a parade :D

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By JJOR64

I want to say Tetris DS I paid around $40. Can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Hizang

£50 for Paper Mario on the N64 about 5 years ago.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By NathHaw

$100 something for Gitaroo Man.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Akyho

I bought X-com enemy unknown for the Ps1. Which is rare and better graphics and music than the PC version. I bought it for £40 in a main street shop called Gamestation. Which they priced it well, could have thrown £5 however they knew someone would have had it for £40. Worth it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By McGhee

@GreggD said:

Yes it is. I bought Tomba! 2 not too long ago. Too bad Tomba! is one of those few games that isn't backwards compatible with the PS2 or I would've bought it as well.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By McGhee

A while ago I went on a PS1 RPG nostalgia buying spree. I bought good as new copies of Alundra, Tomba! 2 (it's a platformer with RPG elements!), Xenogears, Grandia, and WILD ARMS.

I ended up spending about $200.

When I have the extra money I'd love to get Lunar: SSSC, Breath of Fire 3 and 4, Grandia 2, Brave Fencer Musashi, and others.

If I was really crazy and had the space and money I'd buy a SNES and build that collection too.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Icemo

I don't remember if I have ever paid more than 20€ for an old game. Most recent one I can remember was 20€ (~$25) for Disgaea: Hour of Darkness for the PS2.

That was money well spent since the level cap is like gazillion.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#66  Edited By Pepsiman

Back during Christmastime, I paid about 4000 yen (~$50 US) for a copy of Pepsiman so I could finally live up to my name on here once and for all. The campiness of the FMVs and music is probably the only thing that can even begin to justify paying that price, especially for a used copy that was retailing for more than its original price of 2800 yen (~$35 US), but I felt like my pride was on the line and that it was as good of a time as any to get it. Beyond that, nothing really jumps to mind for me. I have copies of Nocturne and the Digitial Devil Saga games, but don't really consider their prices to be all that far-fetched considering the brand name attached to them and relatively small print runs. At the moment, I'm debating whether to pick up a copy of Metal Wolf Chaos or Rakugaki Showtime before I leave Japan in a few weeks, both of which will likely cost me at minimum 7000 yen (~$88 US) a pop. And then there's always that copy of Steel Battalion in my college town's local game shop that I keep meaning to pick up at some point.....

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#67  Edited By Little_Socrates

My family spent $80 on a copy of Earthbound for the SNES, which was lucky because that game often runs $100+. So that was cool.

Uh, nothing else comes to mind.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@Slayne said:

@Baal_Sagoth said:

60 € for an original Planescape: Torment big box with all the glorious/ nerdy/ pathetic nonsense in it.

Glorious!

Hehe, I lean towards that perspective too! I had sporadically looked for a fancy copy for a while until I bought mine. Just didn't like the thought of only having the bare bone version of it anymore. On the upside that one can now be given to friends while I still have the game available in my collection at all times.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69  Edited By RainDog505

No clue...but if you total all my "old game" re-release purchases through XBLA/PSN/Steam/GOG/Game Room (snicker), I've thrown a fair amount of dough at nostalgia itches.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Krucius

30 bucks I guess, Left 4 Dead

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#72  Edited By buft

Never overpay for old games myself, never have time to play them. On the other end of that spectrum though my buddy just sold his PS1 and PS2 games on ebay and got like $60 for tony hawk pro skater for the PS1

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By GoofyGoober

@Vonocourt said:

Don't think I've paid more than fifty dollars for an old video game.

Pretty much. I wouldn't ever spend more than 15 dollars on an old game, unless I could 100%, get a big profit by selling it.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By zeforgotten

60 bucks

Avatar image for passivekaerenai
PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PassiveKaerenai

@DeF: Well, in retrospect, £40 felt like a lot to buy a used copy of an old PS2 game. Especially if it's $250 worth of £40

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By dropabombonit

I paid $30 for a used copy of Wind Waker

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AlexW00d

I still have all my old games so I have no need to throw dumb amounts of money at nostalgia. Sorreh.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DeF

@PassiveKaerenai said:

@DeF: Well, in retrospect, £40 felt like a lot to buy a used copy of an old PS2 game. Especially if it's $250 worth of £40

in that context, sure. full price for any older game is usually a little too much. but what's the deal with those $250 :D

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#79  Edited By AndrewB

It depends on what we're considering old. Remember11 came out in 2004 and I paid $100 to import a copy of the collector's edition a couple years ago. I'm also one of those people that kept all their childhood favorites, so I don't oft pay for nostalgia. Only awesome stuff I stumble upon years later.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ghostiet

More than a 120 złoty for the original, 1st Polish edition of Planescape Torment released in 2000, so about 35$. Normally, you can get it for around 5$.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#81  Edited By elyk247

$40 on Chrono Trigger for the SNES. I would never pay over $60 for an old game, but that's just me.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By hwy_61

$80 for Riven(PS1). I bugged my mom endlessly for that game. Took it home, popped it in, and spent the next 4 hours having no idea of what I to do. It looked pretty though.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By topsteer

@AlexW00d said:

I still have all my old games so I have no need to throw dumb amounts of money at nostalgia. Sorreh.

I have most of the old games I would want to keep also. I just didn't play as many games back then so I'm trying to catch up. Some of the PS1 games I bought and are planning to buy cost upwards of $30 or $40 and I have no nostalgia for those at all since I haven't played them yet.

So you haven't or wouldn't pay around the price of a new game for an older game that you've never played?

Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Random88

paid £20 for a sealed copy of Grandia for the playstation last year sometime

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@Pepsiman: Woah, has the price price of Rakugaki Showtime really gone down that far? I'll have to look at picking up a copy.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AlexW00d

@TopSteer: Fuck no. I have enough games in my steam account as it is, why would I spend good money on games for an older platform?

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#87  Edited By Svenzon

Around 30 dollars (200 SEK) for a copy of Super Castlevania IV. I paid about half that amount for Realms of the Haunting 3 years ago.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#88  Edited By Bollard

Paid £25 for a copy of Shadow of the Colossus. But split it with my cousin.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#89  Edited By Zippedbinders

$30 for Silent Bomber, which I was pretty okay with.

$40 for ZOE 2nd Runner, also pretty okay with.

I largely pride myself on being able to find stuff for pretty good deals. Yard Sales and Thrift Stores are good places to check.

Also, very happy to see Tomba! love going around, I was lucky enough to get Tomba! 2 for my birthday when it was still new, I've never played the original.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#90  Edited By Pepsiman

@SpaceRunaway: The lowest I've ever actually seen it go in person is around 7700 yen; in general, though, it seems to still go for 12,000+ yen depending on the condition from what I've seen in local shops in Osaka. When I checked Amazon Japan a while back, I saw a used copy going for 5000 yen, but from what I recall the condition might have been somewhat sketchy. It's still generally better than what it was a while back, yeah. I imagine it has to do with the game's re-release on the Japanese PSN.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By vasta_narada

$50 for a copy of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne.

There's a really nice one-man-ran store a few minutes from my house, and has a ton of old, rare, stuff.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By coaxmetal

I paid $60 for a boxed (used, but still had the original big box) copy of Planescape: Torment. I also own it on gog, of course.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By GreggD

@McGhee said:

@GreggD said:

Yes it is. I bought Tomba! 2 not too long ago. Too bad Tomba! is one of those few games that isn't backwards compatible with the PS2 or I would've bought it as well.

I actually just emulated it on my PC, using the disc in my tray. It runs fine on PSXe, or whatever the one I'm using is called.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Few years ago I paid almost 60€ for an unused copy Final Fantasy IX.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't think I've ever spent a ridiculous amount to get a game, so probably the £35 or so I spent to get a hold of Dragon Quest V on the DS, which became stupidly rare. I had similar trouble getting a hold of Golden Sun 2, but I would never have paid through the nose for them. With Steam and GOG.com nowadays, it's never really difficult to find older games anyway. Unless you're a Lucsarts fan, dammit.

tgammet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By tgammet

I paid $90 for a used copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. I was duped since it was in worse condition than they claimed. Game was awesome though. Really wish it was re-made.

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#97  Edited By AdzPearson

£30 for an NTSC copy of Suikoden. Nothing special, although it is a lot cheaper than what the PAL version goes for. I expect it'll be beaten eventually, though. I can pretty much guarantee it'll be an RPG.

McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#98  Edited By McBradders

5874 yen for a copy of Ninja Warriors again. 4800 yen for Return of Double Dragon and about that much twice over for Marvel War of the Gems and X-Men Mutant Apocolypse. All on the SNES. I like my old SNES games :)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#99  Edited By FLStyle

£60 for a PAL copy of Legend of Dragoon back in 2005.

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#100  Edited By astrodoggy

Definitely paid 70 for Diddy Kong's Quest