What's the oddest twist you've ever found in a game?

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By flufflogic

So, somehow today I got on to the subject of sad moments in games with the wife (also a gamer, so not utterly odd a topic), and up came this subject as a result: What's the most "twist" moment in a game that's ever utterly thrown you? As in, that moment in a game that you completely never expected and really had an impact? 

For me, it's got to be "A Christmas Gift" in Elite Beat Agents. Attached is a video capture someone did, right from the opening comic explanation: 

I have to admit, this is still the biggest tear jerker in a game for me, bigger even than the train on FF VI. I mean, in a game where you help a man turn his American Football skills to parenting, got a pug a ride across the country to come home, and even battled an alien invasion with the power of dance and song, I never expected a properly emotional level dealing with the loss of a loved one. 

Has anyone got any other examples of "why is this in the game" moments?
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Revan in KOTOR and the Reapers in Mass Effect. I really didn't see those coming. Jade Empire also had a really good one, complete with dramatic DUN DUN DUUUN sound effects and fast camera cuts.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By finstern

Metal Gear Solid 2, I was 13, got to just before Arsenal Gear, Snake shows up, starts being a dick and I'm like what?! Then fucking robot ninja jumps down and I'm like "OH SHIT EPIC BATTLES" then turns out Snake and Ninja are working together and they knock Raiden out so he can get captured. 

Least thats my memory of it lol

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By armaan8014
@S0ndor said:

" Jade Empire also had a really good one, complete with dramatic DUN DUN DUUUN sound effects and fast camera cuts. "

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

I NEED SCISSORS, 61!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bocam
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The Christmas level in Elite Beat Agents was very touching but I think the oddest twist I've seen in a game was at the end of Assassin's Creed II, I was just left sitting there thinking "What the hell was that?, although I haven't completed Brotherhood yet and I've heard the ending to that is kind of insane.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Pinworm45

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By haggis
@S0ndor: Revan was supposed to be a huge twist in KotoR, but it seemed kinda obvious to me by the time they got around to revealing it. Still pretty ballsy for the game's writers to go there.

@Pinworm45: Heh. What a great mission. Funny as hell. Although I could see what was coming when Shepard suddenly took everyone with him on the mission. And EDI's "I have control" was incredibly chilling the first time I heard it. A twist, though? I guess. I knew something was going to happen, but I didn't know what exactly. So yeah, a twist.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Portal when I found out there was actually a story. I thought it was just a puzzle game with no real story but when I found one of those little hideouts the survivors used with stuff wrote on the wall like "The cake is a lie" I almost shit my pants.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By gabha

The ending of Jak 3, and The entire second half of the Legacy of Kain series (both of these written by Amy Hennig). 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm gonna say maybe Bioshock, because that was never spoiled for me. nor was I on to anything, nor was I even prepared for it. Lotta impact. Plus it made me really angry like "D'aaah XXXX I'm gonna KILL your ass".