What's the oldest game you actively play?

• 180 results
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

For some of us we won't spend more than a few dozen hours with any one title. Even longer games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim will get a hundred or so hours out of us. Not everyone skips from big release to big release and a very small subset focuses a huge chunk of their focus to a single title.

Who out there is still playing older titles? How much time do you spend with this game? Why are you still playing?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Tetris on gameboy. Still the best version of that game around and I always like seeing if I can top my score months after. I don't play it regularly like every week or so but when I do I play it, I play it chunks at a time.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I feel like the term "actively playing" is a weird one. To me, it seems like a term that applies mainly to multiplayer games.

I have been playing the rerelease of Super 3D Noah's Ark...if that counts as an old game.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The oldest?

I play Street Fighter 3rd Strike about once a month and that's a 99 arcade release. Metal Gear Solid was 98 but I only play that about once a year.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I go back to San Andreas very regularly (thanks iOS rerelease!). It's my favorite GTA game and I never get tired of roaming around Los Santos on a bicycle and doing sick jumps.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

@beachthunder: I think consistently would be a better term. I recently watched a video about FF9 and how 'super' fans would replay the game once a year, try to collect every item and experience every quest, and they were still discovering new stuff in the game. That's sort of what I'm looking for.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Megamans X1-X3. Play through all three once a year. They are my favorite games, I just really enjoy playing them.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Tetris on gameboy. Still the best version of that game around and I always like seeing if I can top my score months after. I don't play it regularly like every week or so but when I do I play it, I play it chunks at a time.

Yeah, actually I play a lot of that from time to time. It's my goto 3DS game. I'm so glad I was able to buy it on the 3DS eShop before it was removed. I suppose this better fits the topic.

Although, I would strongly disagree that it is the best version. There have been a lot of improvements since the release of the Game Boy version.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ivdamke

Regularly the oldest game I'd say would be Street Fighter IV if you count USFIV at several hours a week.

Though I wasn't an early adapter, I only started playing SF about a year ago out of my effort to learn, appreciate and get better at other genre's I previously typically passed off on. I always admired fighting games from a far because I'm primarily a PC user and I'm just generally a lot better at games you see dominate the platform. So when I tried fighting games and just got absolutely smashed you tend to accept you're bad and settle for just having fun being bad with mates. But in the passed year I decided I want to actually get better at learning the systems and executing them so that's the main reason I still play it (I'm still garbage though.)

Being only from last gen however I'd say that's not really what you're looking for.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played Brood War for like 12 years constantly.

I guess the oldest game I consistently play right now is KoF Maximum Impact 2; which isn't half bad actually. Like I'm going to play through Heroes of Might and Magic II again at some point but I won't be playing it extremely frequently.

I should probably play Super Metroid/Vagrant Story more, and there's always the allure of being one of the half dozen or so people that have gotten to 50 crystals in Valkyrie Profile 2; would be quite a slog though.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TimeSplitters 2. To this day I enjoy going back and running through some dumb bot matches. I've 100% all three versions of that game, which seems like insane behavior.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By MezZa

Baldur's Gate 2 is the only really old game that I still play frequently. Used to be Chrono Trigger, but I haven't done my yearly playthrough of that in quite awhile now.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Until about two years I was still playing Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, well because DotA. That's really about it.

I don't know if I ever regularly go back and replay anything, but I will play old games and replay things when it suits me. I usually treat as a I would a new game though, play it all the way through if I can. Decide if I'm going to try to 100% and then when I'm done with it, I move onto the next game. E.g. I recently played through King's Quest I-V this way.

I'll bust out The Legend of Zelda II: Adventure of Link,Metroid and Mega Man 2 every couple years or so, because I never have beaten them and want to. I think Spelunky is going to be a game like that for me, I seem to pick it back every couple months or so.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316

I'll routinely play a couple levels of Doom (albeit with some Brutal Doom mods).

Currently got a Mario World game in progress, as well as Symphony of the Night. And on any given day, I might do a run through of the Genesis Sonic games or a Streets of Rage.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sister introduced me to this browser-based text RPG called Torn in 2006 and I have been playing almost daily ever since. It's not really a big commitment as each session only lasts a couple minutes 1-3 times a day.

Here's my profile if anyone is interested.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I still play starcraft 2 all the time

frontfungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

super mario word

orborborb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Got way into Mr. Do! this year, and also playing a lot of late 80s arcade shoot 'em ups like Slap Fight and Sagaia. And I still play Zelda II and Kid Icarus regularly.

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

THPS 3

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I end up playing Symphony of the Night and the first two Suikoden games every couple of years or so, easier now that I have a Vita. I used to play Psychonauts yearly, but I only have a newer HDTV now and it just looks terrible on it. I'd appreciate it if Double Fine would add that to the HD overhaul list at some point.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By amafi

I play through old adventure games once in a while. At the moment I'm working my way through the Police Quest collection from gog. Never played the VGA mousey version of the first one before.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 3/4. There just so damn good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I keep a shortcut to the Doom source port "Doomsday" on my desktop. That source port aims to get the game looking nice and running at modern resolutions while preserving the game's rules and controls - you can't look up and down, for instance. It's not hard to change some options and give yourself the ability to jump, aim like a modern shooter, etc., but Doomsday is perhaps the simplest and cleanest source port for playing regular-ass Doom there is.

I also have Brutal Doom ready to go, but I kinda passed that "ohmygodthisisridiculous" phase and I kinda don't really care anymore. It's fun, but it's not how you should play Doom the first time, it totally fucks with some of the things that make Doom special.

In general, I'm not averse to trying out old games. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, and Final Fantasy VI have become some of my favorite games ever since playing them, and I'd still like to finish FFV and play some Earthbound. I have Ultima Underworld installed... er... somewhere, I've played some Wizardry 8 (although I'd like to go back and play 1 for a few hours, just to say that I have), and so on and so forth. I'll admit that I usually try to get the gist of what made an old game special and then I move on, but I also kinda do that for a whole hell of a lot of modern games, too.

Does Counter Strike Global Offensive count? No, that version of the game isn't old, but come on - people have been playing Counter Strike for over fifteen years now and CSGO isn't really that much different.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play at least a little original Rise of the Triad every year, so that's probably the oldest I *actively* play. That game just never stops being fun.

I'm always playing old games in general. I admit that my glasses are a wee bit rose-tinted here, but 90s PC games, man... there's just something about 'em. I'm playing Realms of the Haunting off and on recently, and even though I missed it in its day, I get a big dumb grin on my face playing it. (also, how did I never play this back then!? A horror-themed FMV adventure game that's also an FPS? How in the worldwide pants did that pass under my radar? I remember seeing it on shelves... what the hell put me off of it?)

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I play Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 every year or so.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The oldest game I'm actively playing would be Destiny, which is, you know, not even a year old. It's just a load of fun to play with a group of people and bungie.net puts my hour count at 11 days, 12 hours.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baldur's Gate 1/2 I usually do a yearly run on. Shining Force I/II will get the urge to play every few years, but thats kinda of stretching it. It would probably be a more frequent thing if I still had my old systems, and I could easily hook them up to my stuff.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play C&C Tiberian Dawn, C&C: Red Alert, and Dune 2000 semi regularly in the form of OpenRA, its a great project that have been running since EA made these game freeware.

PrivatePyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really consistently play old games, but I love to go back to a few old favourites for the nostalgia factor. Civilization III is a great example of this, as is the original Starcraft. I have a soft spot for several of the Final Fantasy games too that are reliable old friends if I'm stuck for anything to play.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Probably Vice City, and because I speedrun it.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Original UFO: Enemy Unknown (1994) and Darklands (1992) about once a year.

Darklands is a very unique RPG that I recommend for everyone to try. It has lots of mechanics that are just not found in the other games. At first it seems that you really have no main quest but you can stumble onto it after a while. Your guys have to deal with effects of combat and aging. Weapons and armor have just two stats: weight and quality - and those tell how effective the item is for the job. Somebody wants you to take out a robber baron? First visit the towns near the barons castle so you can get the reward from multiple places. Then you have to decide what to do. Do you attack the castle gate directly, siege the castle, talk your way in or silently during the night climb the walls? You can even try to pray for divine aid. Depending on choices you then can fight your way through the castle, during dinner challenge baron to a duel, try to persuade him into abandoning his criminal ways or when everybody is sleeping, quietly set the whole damn thing on fire.

Original Xcom is still a good game and in a ways more deeper than the remake.

Edit: Since definition of "old games" is looser than I previously thought, I can add games like Dead Rising to that and I have on going playtrough as an evidence of that.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm... I don't really revisit any old games with any regularity. I guess Mashed on PS2?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The game of life.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about actively but I always play Digimon World on the PSX once a year, Ragnarok Online as well.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jagged Alliance 2! with the 1.13 mod it's as good as new! SOooo much fun. But hard.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BradBrains

Megaman.

the first three.

beat them once every few months. its still fun

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This last year has been marked by an immense retro kick for me. I've gone on a crusade to purchase every console from every previous generation. Still have some significant holes in that campaign, but I've been actively playing pre-2005 games for something like ten calendar months now.

The one game that always come back to--not quite once a year, but close--is Morrowind. Every time I begin a new character I feel that same overwhelming sense of ambition. I want to do everything, I'm certain I can do only some things, and I never quite know how it will all look in the end.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I play Thief (no, no, not that one, this one) once a year or so. I always do it The Lytha Way...

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fable II

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By chu52

Me and a friend like to cap off watching wrestling with Street Fighter II : The New Challengers

Because we like a more balanced street fighter 2

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SW Battlefront, '04.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Kingdom Hearts

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll run through Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Armored Warriors & Warriors of Fate every couple of months or so.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#44 fisk0  Moderator

I guess I regularly play Dune II (through the DuneLegacy Windows port) Elite II: Frontier, Descent and Doom. A couple of times each month I play some Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer with friends too, though that was never a game I enjoyed playing on my own.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I dig out Fight Night Round 3 about once a year to play for a few weeks because I love the core gameplay so damn much. Everything around the gameplay is kind of bad, especially at this point, but they never made a boxing game half as good in basic gameplay after, unfortunately. Not that I'm some big boxing fan either, Fight Night up to Round 3 was just so damn fun to play and tactical. Then they ruined the control scheme and the basics instead of just fleshing out everything around the gameplay.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

It would have to be the original RollerCoaster Tycoon, even though I play the Gold Edition with the two expansion packs.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

I dunno how people play old games and don't get bored of them... I'm only playing this to be ready for when the Big Game arrives.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By frymillstrum

I guess remakes probably don't count but I often play Lode Runner on the XBLA, usually when I'm a bit drunk lol. That's over 30 years old.

Mario Kart Double Dash is always ready to go too.

Original Hitman Trilogy.

I play through every Splinter Cell approximately once a year for sure.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I guess the 2013 edition of Bejeweled on my iPhone. Otherwise, Destiny.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I play old games alllllll the time and have been thinking about blogging them some time.

Currently playing
(3-8+ hours/week each)

• SSX
  • Bushido Blade 2
  • Dragon Quest VIII (just started first time ever and WOW!)
  • Sword of the Samurai (also first time! MY GOD THIS GAME O.O )

Yearly / Monthly Rotation
(play randomly throughout the year, sometimes to completion, sometimes for minutes, sometimes for hours and hours and hours)

• Tekken Tag Tournament
  • Street Fighter II
  • Any Final Fantasy
  • Any MGS
  • Any Civilization
  • Super Smash Brothers Melee
  • NBA Street Volume 2
  • Lord of Destruction

This about does it for games I consider old and also really do play significantly. I tent to cycle through a huge number of games as I revisit the past and also check out classics for the first time.

From recent games, worth mentioning are Olli Olli 2, Ground Zeroes, Type-0, Resogun and The Witcha.