What's with Gran Turismo (and other games as well) and bullshots?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Seriously now?  Why is it that Gran Turismo only looks super amazing in these pictures and great everywhere else (same with forza 3 it seems). PGR looks great in gameplay, bad screenshots.

Anyway, want to know just how fake their bullshots are?  Take a look at Gran Turismo 5, I mean PSP.

No, just no.  You do not look like that.

So please, I beg, only post gameplay screens when talking about graphics, because oh too often the game look nothing like these screens.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

This phenomina is not unique to GT or Forza by any means, every screensot that is ever put out by a PR machine has been through photoshop for at least a basic touch up, some spend longer than others and obviously a lot of videos/shots are pre-renders.

It's been being done since forever, what suddenly makes it so hard to swallow now? Seriously, it's called being media smart.

SolidestChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SolidestChimp

every1 does this i mean gt psp will be a good game but wont look that great so why would they bring out bad looking screens first.  They just use these to get the common person interested in the game

Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ecinsiefil

It's because the screenshots are rendered at a high resolution with all the fancy lighting effects, post processing and anti-aliasing turned on. They probably are the actual models from the game (notice the blurry road textures in the second pic), just tarted up a bit.

For example: if you have a screenshot from Forza Motorsport 2 at 1280x720, it'll usually look like crap. However, resize it to say, 500x280, and it looks almost real.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

I really doubt those are supposed to be PSP screens, I've seen GT PSP media screenshots and they actaully look worse than the game does in motion (thanks to 60 fps etc). They don't even have the HUD area which makes the screen size smaller and helps it keep that frame rate.

And yeah, what Drain said.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK

THAT is from GT PSP?

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Black_Raven

I think it's because the screen shots are taken from replays with anti aliasing, more detailed lighting and stuff like that, even when you're viewing a car in garage mode it doesn't necessarily represent the in game quality of the graphics.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Black_Raven said:
"I think it's because the screen shots are taken from replays with anti aliasing, more detailed lighting and stuff like that, even when you're viewing a car in garage mode it doesn't necessarily represent the in game quality of the graphics."
But when is faking going to far?  I think they do it way more than they should.   I've played Prologue.  It looks good, but honestly nothing special in comparison to racing games.

Ever wonder why, for those of you who don't have the game, no one ever posts GT5 gameplay?
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-gran-turismo/30397

I suggest the HD version, linking SD so it's not slow for those who need it. 
Honestly--- the gamedoesn't look better than GRID.  Never mind PGR4.  Forza 3 doesn't look better than PGR4 either.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-project-gotham/25838

And really, I don't understand why people giddy-up on Forza over PGR.  It seems like people go to Forza because it's essentially an answer to Gran Turismo.   But wake up people!  Gran Turismo isn't completely a sim!  Gran Turismo is more in the vein of Sega GT (which I've always viewed as Sega's Gran Turismo because it's so damn similar)

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Wolverine
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" Seriously now?  Why is it that Gran Turismo only looks super amazing in these pictures and great everywhere else (same with forza 3 it seems). PGR looks great in gameplay, bad screenshots.

Anyway, want to know just how fake their bullshots are?  Take a look at Gran Turismo 5, I mean PSP.

No, just no.  You do not look like that.

So please, I beg, only post gameplay screens when talking about graphics, because oh too often the game look nothing like these screens.
"
I agree with you about the screen shots but let me just say the car on the left of the bottom picture is amazing!:)
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

I'll just post the obligatory "post game specific topics in game specific forums" post and be on my way. 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@AgentJ said:
"I'll just post the obligatory "post game specific topics in game specific forums" post and be on my way.  "
Well it's regarding bullshits/mock ups in general.  It's not really about Gran Turismo.
I say my obligatory "read thread before commenting"
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" @AgentJ said:
"I'll just post the obligatory "post game specific topics in game specific forums" post and be on my way.  "
Well it's regarding bullshits/mock ups in general.  It's not really about Gran Turismo.I say my obligatory "read thread before commenting" "
Seems pretty clear to me that the entire conversation has been about Gran Turismo PSP, and you are prone to making game specific threads in General Discussion, so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be thinking. 
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@AgentJ said:
"@SmugDarkLoser said:
" @AgentJ said:
Well it's regarding bullshits/mock ups in general.  It's not really about Gran Turismo.I say my obligatory "read thread before commenting" "
Seems pretty clear to me that the entire conversation has been about Gran Turismo PSP, and you are prone to making game specific threads in General Discussion, so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be thinking. 
"
Not really.  It's about faking and racing games in general.

I know you can't read though, so it's okay
tippinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tippinator

I see where agent is coming from but I agree with smug, the thread is more about bullshots in general. To be fair the format of the op is somewhat vague.

For the most part, I think racing games take a lot of liberties with their media. Every developer wants to brag that their cars look the shiniest, this and that. When I watched the E3 trailer of GTPSP in action I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought the visuals were too good to be true there. Alas, I have not read any blogs or previews from anyone that went to play GTPSP. So were going to have to wait to find out.