Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Alkaiser

@FancySoapsMan said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

VII. I know, I'm not cool.

EDIT: Actually, FFT is really it. But you left that off. What's the big idea!?

man, I loved FFT but I got stuck at a point where the enemies were way more powerful than I was and there was no way for me to grind.

I should seriously go back and play it again someday.

If you ever do, just remember that Yell/Scream are your friend if you get stuck. Especially in that damned Wiegraf fight if you aren't prepared for it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By BoG

@McGhee said:

Hating Final Fantasy VIII is on my asshole litmus test.

Also:

This is the ambient music in video game heaven.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@FancySoapsMan said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

VII. I know, I'm not cool.

EDIT: Actually, FFT is really it. But you left that off. What's the big idea!?

man, I loved FFT but I got stuck at a point where the enemies were way more powerful than I was and there was no way for me to grind.

I should seriously go back and play it again someday.

I recommend it.

Back when it came out I liked it but I was quite bad at it and got stuck not far in.

I returned to it a few years later and lets say if you play the game not on a PSX... save states are really awesome. Also if you do a little research you can know which fights are going to be the problem fights (there are a few) and yeah there are a few situations where once you go into a series of fights there is no backing out. You have to do some grinding but with a few tricks and knowing your way around the battle system a bit more you should be fine.

I played it again during last summer and the game still holds up very well. They also have the iOS and PSP versions which are supposed to be good too. So yeah you really should find a way to give it another shot. The story is worth seeing all the way through and so is the combat.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By TranceQuina

While I think VII and IX technically surpass it in a lot of ways, my personal favorite in the series is VIII.  It's the kind of foggy story that leaves questions unanswered in the right way, and the combat/junctioning/etc. is a ton of fun once you get it all figured out. 

And as long as we're on a somewhat relevant thread, check this site out.  It's pretty rad.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By McGhee

@BoG said:

@McGhee said:

Also:

I was listening to this song on repeat constantly while I was walking a holy pilgrimage. Many beautiful moments.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy IX is the correct answer.

I will also accept Final Fantasy Tactics.

Sidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Sidoran

@Deathshroud said:

I am so happy that so many people like FF9 . I thought I was alone :( but now I know there are others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI5fD7Jbnuw

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#108  Edited By Hunter5024

I really love VII and VIII for reasons I go into over here. Although I prefer Seven because I thought it was a little more light hearted and had some cooler characters, also Eight has this fucking asinine plot twist that I have to constantly pretend doesn't exist. I love IX a whole lot, but it's my least favorite of the three for a number of minor issues, Eiko is super annoying, Amano makes gorgeous art, but he's not very good at designing characters, there's a couple parts where I feel they did a bad job on the pacing, the whole chocobo thing made getting to the crazy content way more difficult and tedious than the earlier games, and not being able to choose your party for about half the game sucked. And I love the characters, the music, and the world in that one, just a little less than the other two.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#109  Edited By korolev

Final Fantasy IX is my second favourite game of all time. It was also my first final fantasy game, and in my humble opinion, the best.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By IBurningStar

I pity all those who did not vote for the glorious Final Fantasy IX.

Rabbitsuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Rabbitsuit

I voted for FF7, but if FF8 and FF9 didn't suffer from a major lockout on the final discs, both of them probably could have edged it out. There are few things I dislike more in a gaming than advancing so far, that everything else in it becomes unavailable and the only way to enjoy it again is to start anew.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#112  Edited By Mayu_Zane

Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy Tactics.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By myniceicelife

I've only played 8 so that has to be my answer, but I still think 9 looks cool and may play it one of these years.

Deadlypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Deadlypixels

People who say the music in 8 sucked obviously never made it to Fisherman's Horizon.

dragonwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By dragonwizard

FFIX is one of those games that I can always go back to. I think it was my first RPG but I'm not certain. Easily the game I have the most childhood affection for.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By AMS

FFT is the GOAT imo but from that last i'll roll with FFVII

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By TwoLines

Nine.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Ended up picking 7 but 9 is probably the better game but god dam it I loved FF7 as a kid.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Deadlypixels said:

People who say the music in 8 sucked obviously never made it to Fisherman's Horizon.

I remember really liking the a certain song that had some real good slide bass going on.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Canteu
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By JerichoBlyth

@Irishdoom said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

IX was the best game in the entire series (oh fuck everyone and their precious FF6 for the Super Nintendo - I thought it was boring)

It was a shame that it was the death nail for traditional FF games though...because it didn't sell very well at all. Then we got the very streamlined FF10 and it allllll went to shit.

Ok, you can't both knock the best game in the series and then fuck up a phrase like "death knell." I avoid being a grammar nazi unless you kill one of my sacred cows, like FFIII/VI.

To the OP, Tactics was, by far, the best PS FF game.

Well to be honest, it's more of a combination of 'Death Knell' and 'Nail in the coffin'. Therefore it was an Omen of destruction for the franchise and it buried it for good.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#122  Edited By BoG

@McGhee said:

@BoG said:

@McGhee said:

Also:

I was listening to this song on repeat constantly while I was walking a holy pilgrimage. Many beautiful moments.

I'm getting off topic, but did you really do the camino? That's awesome! I've been to Santiago, it's a beautiful city.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Deadlypixels said:

I remember really liking the a certain song that had some real good slide bass going on.

@Deadlypixels said:

They obviously never played the game. Isn't the Balamb Garden song the first track that plays? Then, soon after, you hear Blue Fields? VIII had the BEST soundtrack in the series.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Yes I think you're right about that. Forums are the only place I've talked to FF fans so it's hard for me gauge it's popularity outside this circle.

Sure! I wasn't talking about side content though, I meant to say that FFVIII has the most varied main scenarios: the Balamb school mission, assaulting the train/kidnapping the president, assassinating the sorceress, the Laguna missions, getting shot into space with that huge revolver, discovering the Ragnarok, and on and on. How about organizing the concert?

VIII has a lot of moments that play differently from one to the other and that's what I appreciate most about it. I like that different inputs are required from me periodically (like cracking the passwords on the train or shimmying across the bridge of the prison during the escape). All FF games have these moments, but VIII seems to have them in spades. Plus, there are lots of disguises that you wear in VIII and that's pretty awesome too.

As for "The Most Writing". Yes, definitely does not mean the best. Still, your party members have a lot to say during missions, and their dialogue is pretty specific one person-to the other, so it seems worthwhile to mix and match parties. Add to that that VIII does have some pretty significant side quests (Odin and Bahamut come to mind) and you get... a reason to explore!

As for actual "side activities" mostly I only remember the card game, which is actually really awesome though. Lots of depth and, again, writing! Queen of Cards was a cool character.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#124  Edited By dichemstys

VIII's soundtrack is killer.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#125  Edited By ShadowMoses900

FF7. But that's also my favorite game of all time lol.

Please do a remake Square!

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By FLYmeatwad

VIII is my favorite, though I feel like IX might be the 'best' top to bottom. Not sure though, FF VIII is pretty incredible. I think both VIII and IX are close. VII is the second worst core FF game I've played (haven't played the MMOs or XIII-2), just super dull from a narrative perspective. Doesn't help that it's sandwiched between VI and VIII either though, I suppose.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By CaLe

I liked all of them but 7 was my first JRPG so it feels a little more special than 8 and 9.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#128  Edited By confusedowl

9 is my overall favorite for sure. Loved the art style, music, characters.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By laserbolts

9 for sure. I like 7 and 8 too though.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By SagaciousJones

@GERALTITUDE said:

I meant to say that FFVIII has the most varied main scenarios

Plus, there are lots of disguises that you wear in VIII and that's pretty awesome too.

Still, your party members have a lot to say during missions, and their dialogue is pretty specific one person-to the other, so it seems worthwhile to mix and match parties.

Those are all good points that I tend to forget in favor of "Oh, FFVIII!" Thanks for reminding me why I like that game.

Though VII has the best disguise section ever.

No Caption Provided
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Oh man! That picture. So great. Really brings me back.

I wonder what the disguise section of our wiki looks like...

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#132  Edited By Daneian

Will someone please, for the love of God, create time travel so I can escape this argument?!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Karl_Boss

VII, haters gonna hate

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By ExplodeMode

9 in theory. 7 in practice.

These days 9 plays a bit too slow. 25-30 seconds of loading per random encounter is too much. It would take a lot of dedication to get in a place where I wasn't thinking about that.

8 is bad even disregarding it's plot and boring characters, because it's mechanically flawed. Saying it has good music is like, 'so what?' All 3 have good music. Also, it has a indoctrination theory level fanbase trying to make the story not suck.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Marcsman

VII

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers