What's You Most Played Game of '09? Is It Your GOTY?

• 70 results
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust

I was listening to the most recent Mobcast from the Bitmob site and there was an interesting discussion involving how we choose our "Game of the Year".  John Davison of Gamepro magazine said,

...people get into this weird different head-space when they start talking about Game of the Year, and feel they need to be honoring, like almost a different set of values. But, if it was just "what did you have the most fun with this year," it almost certainly won't be that game that wins. 

He goes on to describe his experiences with causal games like Plants vs Zombies or Facebook application games.  But, when it comes time to select a final "Game of the Year" winner, there is a self-perceived credibility issue that limits people from choosing games that they played the most or had the most fun with.  

GOTY? Well, if you put a gun to my head...
 GOTY? Well, if you put a gun to my head...
Looking back over 2009, I spent the most time playing Shin Megami Tensai: Persona 3 FES followed closely by SMT: Persona 4 and Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride.  Of those three, only the DS title can be properly called an '09 game.  But, when commenting in GOTY forum posts this year, invariably I've gone with the fan-favorite, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.  Now, obviously, general length of a game doesn't always correspond to enjoyment level.  A shorter game can be extremely fun while a longer game can sometimes become repetitive and a chore to complete.  In my case, however, that was not the case.  Dragon Quest V excited me like no other gaming experience this year and set me down a path of more and more JRPGs to explore.  

So, why fall back to Uncharted 2?  There is an element of group thought that directs the choice.  Much like the Oscar nominations, in my mind, the available list of candidates have already been predetermined by the masses.  When I look around, be it on the web or among the games press, the same titles continually show up.  Honestly, it took me about eight hours to complete the campaign in Modern Warfare 2 and over time, I've added a few more hours of multiplayer action to that total.  Compare that to the 63 hours I put into Dragon Quest V or the 37 I've enjoyed running around Pandora in Borderlands.  

Perhaps, like Citizen Kane, I acknowledge that something is supposed to be great and therefore is better deserving of such honors while secretly, I'd much prefer watching Abbott and Costello in Buck Privates. When it comes to games, I'd rather grind levels on my DS, but when choosing a "Game of the Year", my public facade dictates a different outcome.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

My most played game of '09 was an '08 - Fallout 3. Definitely my '08 GOTY.

Uncharted 2 is too short to be my "most played" of '09 but it is my GOTY.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

Most played? Strangely enough, probably Infamous. Multiple playthroughs for the platinum, which I got twice.

And Uncharted 2 is my GOTY.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Tales of Vesperia is probably the longest amount of playtime I've put into a game this year, but yeah Uncharted 2 still sticks as my GOTY because I've also put in plenty of hours into that and also enjoyed every minute. Admittedly its startin to feel a lil stale, but its had a very good run.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

Gears 1 followed by Gears 2 which may be passed soon by Uncharted 2.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

The game I played the most this year was Mega Man 2... I've beaten it like 6 times now.  It's just one of those games that relaxes me for some reason. 

Definitely game of the year, in 89.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gruff182

I've spent the most time in MW2, due to the multiplayer being very good. However i'd much rather see Uncharted 2 or Dragon Age get GOTY or even InFamous or Batman: AA. All of which I enjoyed alot more.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By allprox

I sank about 250 hours into P4 between watching the endurance run and playing the game itself, but for obvious reasons it can't be GOTY for 09.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Cerza

Sadly, the game I played the most this year is WoW. Even though I quit for good many months ago I still managed to clock in several hundred hours this year before pulling the plug. No other game I have played this year has managed to clock in near the 300 hour mark though Dragon Age: Origins is coming close and that is my pick for GOTY.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Venatio

I dont really know, the single game I played the most has to be Persona 4 with over 80 hours and Im still not finished because I havent had time, I got it in March when it released here in Europe after watching a little of the ER so technically its a 2009 game for me 

The other two games I spent alot of time with is Persona 3: FES and Dragon Age, which Ive spent about 40 hours in each of them so far

But yeah I think my Game of the Year is Uncharted 2, loveable characters, great story, awesome online and just fun to play

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Keeng

I've always thought the more important distinction to make was between "favorite" game and "best" game. For example, I looooove Patapon. It does some things that make it super fun for me. But if you break it down, a game like...say...Prince of Persia is much better. It has far better graphics, story, gameplay quality, replay value, and so on.  So with that said, my favorite game of this year is the game I had the most fun with: Uncharted 2. The game I consider the best of the year (best graphics, pacing, storytelling, gameplay mechanics, replay value, etc.) also happens to be Uncharted 2.  

Last year, MGS4 was my choice for best game (actually I still think it's the best game ever made, even better than Uncharted 2) but my favorite was Resistance 2.   

PS: I also played Persona 3 FES for a really, really long time this year and I would've probably picked it for my favorite game of 2008 if I had played it back then. God, that game is awesome. Props to PenguinDust for the pic and the caption, there.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By The_Philosopher

My most played game is actually Champions Online now that I think about it, but it certainly isn't my favorite game of the year. I think Uncharted 2, Dragon Age and Batman are all my favorites.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Rio

I would say Demon's Souls has received the most play time from me, and it might just be my personal GOTY.  I will however be picking a more realistic game of the year, one that I liked nearly as much and is something that is more in line with what the guys at Giant Bomb are going to discuss.  That GOTY game is probably DA:O  or Uncharted 2.  I would think Uncharted 2 has a much better chance at taking top spot but man did I love Dragon Age.  

Edit:  Keeng said it in a good way, a Favorite title and a Best title.  I like that.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

my most played game is either modern warfare 2 or forza 3. it is what i've been playing for the past couple of months.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust

My most played game of 09 is probably The Force Unleashed, so no.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jack268

Most played game is definately WoW, doing 4hr raids 3 days a week and leveling 4 new characters to 80 and 4 to 70 has taken a lot of time, maybe even too much. I'm pretty burnt out now, just as the main point of the expansion was released. 

I also spent some real good time with Mirror's Edge, definately my favorite game from '08. I gave up when I came to the harder speedruns and time trials though, I'm not that much for racing etc, even though I do want 1000/1000 on it. 

Batman:AA has been a major game too, I played through maybe 70% of the story and collected something like 180 riddles, and then got a corrupt save >_> So I played through it again and I am working on getting the last 20 or so riddles, and also going through the hard difficulty. Amazing game, first when I saw the trailers for it I thought it was going to be another crappy cash cow. After playing the demo I was stuck though. 

My most played game after WoW is CoD:MW(No, I didn't leave out a 2 there). I didn't buy MW2 just yet, been running low on cash for a while now, but I'm hyped for getting it soon and therefore I have spent nearly a month playing it somewhere around 2-3hrs per day, and I also hardcore gamed it at the beginning of the year. 

Out of all my most played's, only one is from '09, which would make Batman:AA my choice of GoTY, but hey, I haven't played every game released this year, maybe MW2 really is that brilliant, maybe Borderlands is an awesome multiplayer experience, and maybe Dragon Age has some great story. But I haven't played them, and naming something you haven't played GoTY is retarded. 

So yeah, Batman:AA, because of its quality, WOW factor and easy, yet time consuming achievements is my pick of GoTY.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jeffsekai

most played SF4
GOTY SF4

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MKHavoc

The game I played the most this year was Fallout 3, but my GOTY would probably have to Arkham Asylum.  

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJOR64

Street Fighter IV and yes, it is my GOTY.

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KennyPowers

My most played has to be FIFA 10, tons of hours wasted with my roommates.  No way that its my GOTY though

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andorski

I disagreed with John Davison's idea that what game you played the most is a strong indicator of what game should be your GOTY.  For me... I probably played Plants vs. Zombies the most, but I consider Uncharted 2 my 2009 GOTY.  A unit of time isn't equivalent between games.  I definitely had fun doing a 3 minute level in Plant's vs. Zombies, the the three minutes you spend in Uncharted 2 where you are going through a building that eventually collapses and forces you to jump through a window into another building was effin' crazy.  Those action set-pieces in Uncharted 2 are memorable experience that make this game deserve any GOTY praise it gets.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By moelarrycurly

I've spent the most time with Uncharted 2, and Uncharted 2 is my GOTY.  So there.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Hamst3r

Most played: Far Cry 2. (36 hours) - not even on my Top 10 list.

Most played and actually on my list: Plants vs. Zombies ( 24 hours)

GOTY - Arkham Asylum (18 hours)

As for why Arkham Asylum is my GOTY over Plants vs. Zombies: Well, first off, they're both great. I actually consider them to be pretty much equal. What makes Batman my GOTY though is that it was a more immersive experience, which is something I hold with high regard in video games. Plants vs. Zombies is a game I play while listening to the Bombcast, because I don't have to pay much attention to it. It's a time killer. It's fun, hilarious and at time challenging, but I'm not fully engaged. There's no intriguing mystery to solve. Batman on the other hand has that immersion factor. When I'm playing Batman, I'm focused on it for hours at a time, completely engrossed in the fiction. So, Batman gets the win, but again the win is by a very small margin.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By RedSox8933

I've played Fallout 3 the most this year and last year for that matter, but it is neither my '08 GOTY nor my '09 GOTY.

I haven't decided my game of the year 2009 yet.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By KaosAngel

I've played more Dragon Age than anyother game...but Uncharted 2 and Final Fantasy XIII are my front runners!

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brunchies

My most played game this year is WoW, I spent to much time leveling one character to 80.  

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

I've played Fallout 3, Borderlands, and Prototype the most this year.... 

Fallout 3 was my GoY last year, and I'm not so sure about this year. I've got a couple weeks left, and I'm getting Dragon Age tomorrow. So it will be between Dragon Age and Borderlands. 

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Red

I dumped 90+ hours into Persona 3 this year. 
Runner up would be 75 hours in Persona 4. 
But as far as games that came out this year are concerned, I'd say I spent the most time with MW2 and Pokemon Platinum, oddly enough. 

Still haven't decided on my GoTY, but this discussion over MW2's broad multiplayer component being better than Uncharted 2's stellar singleplayer has been the main stumbling block I've needed to get over to decide it.

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DBrim

My most played this year is Burnout Paradise (250+ hours).  Not my GOTY of this year, obviously. 

My GOTY is Uncharted 2, but I got it recently and have been busy with finals and such (15 hours).  

Infamous is probably second on my list and I have the second most time on that (60ish hours).

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I played a lot of Fallout 3 and Street Fighter IV. Fallout didn't ,make it because I didn't think it really counted but Street Fighter IV is my game of the year.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kr3lian

Batman: AA for the mother-effing WIN, baby.  Too good, too good.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGreatGuero

NBA 2K9. My brother and I play against each other all the time. It came out in 2008, so that disqualifies it. Either way it wouldn't be my GOTY, but probably the best sports game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EVO

For a while, I was unemployed and hooked on LittleBigPlanet. Like, 7-8 hours a day. It's depressing to think of the hundreds of hours I spent in create mode without a finished level to show for it. Sigh.

But Uncharted 2 is easily my GOTY.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By armaan8014

TES IV: Oblivion!  but i guess the GOTY will be MW2 or DAO or Batman  AA or Uncharted , out which ive only played Baatman AA, i have yet to get the other 2

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Meowayne

My most played games are probably Fallout 3 and Lost Odyssey, and my GOTY is either Wii Sports Resort or Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostin

I think I've put the most time into LoL, Dragon Age and Borderlands this year, but - as with most years - the games I prefer and the ones I think are the best aren't the same thing. 

My personal games of the year are Batman and Uncharted 2.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By guiseppe

Probably Dragon Age: Origins. And I don't know about GOTY... It's a contender at least.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WinterSnowblind

ODST and Dissidia.
But I don't think I'd say either were GoTY.

Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Butchio

modern warfare 2

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By MildMolasses

The OP does bring up a very interesting point about perceived quality vs funfactor. I enjoyed the hell out of Shadow Complex, but I don't expect anyone to pick that as GOTY. I played a lot of Assassin's Creed II, but I don't think that's good enough to even put in a top 10, even if I only played 10 games this year. Specifically, I played a ton of MW2, and did 3 runs of Uncharted 2, and one playthrough of Batman: AA, which took months for me to get around to finishing, yet my top 3 are: 

1. Batman:AA 
2. Uncharted 2 
3. MW2 

I would like to think that everyone's top 10 is simply the games that they enjoyed the most, but then you get into situations where some person or site doesn't go with an expected title and gets flamed for it. So it seems to boil down to there being a list of acceptable games for someone to pick, and you have to go with those
tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tomte

my most played game is without doubt Football manager 09, and lately 2010.
But thats far from being my choice for a GOTY, it's just some mindless fun using my mind, or something like that.

GOTY is probably Uncharted 2, with Batman close behind. Havn't played enough FF XIII yet to call it a serious contender for GOTY

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By r0k1ll

Fallout 3 - Most Played 
MW2 - Most played game from 2009
Batman AA - GOTY 2009

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By c1337us

My most played game this year was Persona 3 by the proverbial country mile. I clocked up about 150 hours on it. I can't think of anything else this year that would have gotten over 20-25. It won't be my game of the year though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By penguindust

Thank you to everyone who's commented so far.  I think it paints a very interesting portrait of how many of us choose our "Game of the Year".  It would seem that the majority of us are a bunch of fickle mushheads*, myself included.  That was one of the reasons I wanted to explore this topic in the first place.  I can't count how many times I've ventured into threads which asked for a single example only to list 5 or 10 in reply.  It's hard to narrow things down.  Perhaps that's part of the avaricious nature of people.  We aren't satisfied with what we have and we don't like being limited in expressing ourselves.  In choosing our game our "Game of the Year," our criteria is often split into convenient categories differentiating "favorite" from "best".  The games that have been the most fun or the ones which freely consumed the majority of our time, weren't considered good enough to be worthy of "game of the year".  Why is that?  

Admittedly, a lot of games were ineligible because they were 2008 or earlier releases.  That's another aspect I found intriguing.  In addition to our collective love affair with all things "Persona", Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, Modern Warfare 1, and the inescapable World of Warcraft continued to dominate our attention above more recent titles. What does that say about the games released between January 2009 and October 2009?  Street Fighter and Batman seem to be among the very few titles that captivated us during that period.  

Two reasons for all the Uncharted 2 love
 Two reasons for all the Uncharted 2 love
Like myself, many of the comments have cited Uncharted 2 as their "Game of the Year" choice, but among those respondents only one (so far) also listed the title as their most played game.  "Uncharted 2 is too short to be my 'most played' of '09 but it is my GOTY" was one explanation.  I can only assume then that the single player is all that was considered when making this choice.   Unlike those who selected Street Fighter IV or Modern Warfare 2, while Uncharted 2 also has a multiplayer element, it wasn't a strong enough factor to garner more of our time.  I wonder if the single player had been longer and the "oh shit!" moments spread out over a longer period of play time, would the game still be held in such high regard?  

*"Give us hell, Quimby!" ;-D
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of sessions: Team Fortress II
In terms of overall playtime: Dragon Age: Origins

Neither of those is my GOTY, because I have none.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Andheez

Hard to say which game I played the most, if you want to include multiplayer and things like that.  RPG's are up there, lots of multiplayer shooters, but I am TIRED of all of thie Uncharted 2 GOTY talk.  I loved it, it was great, but its just an extremely well done Tomb Raider game.  When it comes to GOTY, I think it has to bring something new to the table, so would have to vote for Batman:AA.  Will take it and its flaws over Uncharted 2.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Dragon age orgins, because I had to refomat and replay it. Is it my game of the year? no, batman arkham asylum is.

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xionpunk
@FunExplosions:  Yep, me too.  I played through the game twice when it first came out, once good then evil, and then somehow managed to accidentally erase my save files. So, I've been working on a new good play through. It's just so hard to put down.  

Similarly, I just threw 52 hours into Dragon Age, another kick ass game.

Despite all that time spent, U2 is undeniably the best game to come out this year.  It's an amazing experience, and one that  I really can't think of anything that I would have changed . Naughty Dog has been incredibly consistent in making  high quality games, keep up the amazing work.
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By Tordah

League Of Legends - I have no idea how much, but probably over 80 hours.

I've only played like 3 games from 2009, but yes, League Of Legends is my GOTY.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By nrain

Halo 3 is actually my most played game this year, it still has fantastic multiplayer. But my GOTY 09 is undoubtedly Street Fighter 4 by a long way.