• 124 results
#1 Edited by MormonWarrior (2592 posts) -

I'm kind of curious about what the general age group is on this site. I'd figure they're around my age but I could be wrong. Some comments about Halo being a classic weirded me out the other day...but I guess they make sense.

Anyway. I'm 23 and my first memories of gaming are with my family's NES playing Super Mario Bros. 3, although I'm most nostalgic for the SNES since that was very much my "childhood console." The N64/PlayStation both kind of fit that category too, but by the time the PS2/Xbox/GameCube were out I was about a teenager so...yeah.

Also, I had a regular-ace Game Boy that was yellow and played a crap ton of Link's Awakening and Wario Land before Pokémon ever came out.

#2 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

18. The first game I remember playing is A Link to the Past, which remains my favourite game to date, but I've seen family videos of me as a baby with a genesis controller in my lap and Sonic on the TV, but I don't know if that counts.

#3 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

I think, around 5 playing super mario brothers on my super nintendo.

#4 Posted by Boboblaw (290 posts) -

Wonderboy in Monsterland when I was 3. It was my brothers Master System that we took up to grandparents for christmas in scotland and that is the first game I ever(or at least remember) playing.

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I'm 19 and my first experience was playing a Mario game in a hotel room when I was really young, I don't remember which one it was. After that my cousin (who is about 30 years older than me) gave me old Atari 2600 and a ton of games which was pretty awesome.

#6 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

24, and my first game was playing Adventure Island on one of those bootleg 67 games in one cartridge back when I was 3 or 4.

#7 Posted by Deadmanforking (577 posts) -

I'm 20.

First game I remember was Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive when I was 3.

#8 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2992 posts) -

18 and my first gaming experience were educational games on the PC from a very young age. Such as! Wishbone!

#9 Edited by ShaggE (6452 posts) -

25. My first was a DOS edutainment game that I can't recall the name of.

Edit: @VisariLoyalist: I was JUST thinking about that game/show/etc. this morning. :D

#10 Posted by TopSteer (656 posts) -

I'll be 25 in a couple of weeks and I remember playing an Atari 2600 but I can't remember any of the games.

#11 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I'm 20. My first gaming experience was playing Wolfenstein 3d when I was 8 at my aunt and uncles house. It was awesome.

#12 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'm 46. Pong was my first gaming experience at a friend's house. I was eleven.

#13 Posted by Conformunist (105 posts) -

26 and my family got me a commodore 64 when I was a tot (don't ask me why. Getting a kid to figure out the C64 run commands when he can barely read has got to be technically some sort of abuse).

#14 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

34. My first gaming experience was either the Ms. Pac-man arcade machine at a local pizza place close to school, or it was these little Q-Bert and Frogger mini-arcade machines a kid brought to school. These both occurred around 1983.

#16 Posted by takashichea (351 posts) -

I can't remember the exact age, but it was during sixth grade so I guessed 10 years old. My first game that my parents bought was Mario Party for the N64. The first game I played was Super Mario 64 at a friend's house.

#17 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

29 , and as far as I can remember there always been videogames at my household , the first was an intellevision .... not sure which game tho

#18 Posted by BrechtianDinnerTheater (24 posts) -

I'm 26, and I remember my grandmother got all of these Apogee shareware games when I was like six or seven (she wrote instruction manuals for software for a living)... in particular I have fond memories of playing Secret Agent every time I'd go to visit. I also remember thinking Commander Keen was like the hardest thing, ever. Until a couple Hanukkahs later when they bought me an original fat Gameboy, video games and Apogee shareware titles were entirely synonymous for me.

#19 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

I'm 20 and the first game I can really remember playing was Supaplex, though I did play that game where you shoot balloons as well. Don't know the name of it, though.

#20 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

I'm 30 and my first solid memory of a game is the firt Star Wars Arcade cainet where you flew through the Deathstar. I have during my younger years in the early 80s been mesmorized by arcades but it was during 1987-1988 or something like that that I first played NES (SMB och Cobra Triangle) and from that moment there was no turning back. Didn't get a NES first though but a Commodore 128.

#21 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

37. My first experience was either Zork or Hunt the Wumpus on the hospital mainframe where my father worked. I played them both on the same trip, I just can't rememeber which was first.

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

18, I played Duke Nukem 3D and Monster Truck Madness. When I was like 3 or 4.

#23 Posted by Cheesimus (18 posts) -

I'm 37 and my first gaming experience was Ant Attack on the ZX81. Looking back, it's astonishing that someone made an isometric 3D game on, even at the time, such a primitive machine.

#24 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -
#25 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2386 posts) -

19, Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt

Yeah, the NES and the games were hand-me-downs. But I'm sort of glad I was able to experience the NES even though I was born in the 90s. DuckTales was the shit.

#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I'm 21. The first gaming memory that I have is of Super Mario 64. I played it in a store and I believe that it was on launch day. My memory of that day is very distinct, and I remember how firmly the idea of the wing hat was in my mind. It had obviously been on television for quite some time, because I seemed to instinctively know that it was important, and exactly how it worked.

I did not obtain a gameboy until 1999, or an N64 until 2001, but I suspect that the 5 minutes that I spent playing that demo determined the course of my life.

#27 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

21. Megadrive. Young. Sonic. Ecco. History.

#28 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

I'm 20 and the first game I played was Heroes of Might and Magic II. I won.

#29 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I'm 18 and my first gaming experience was Dr. Mario on the NES.

#30 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

I'm 28 and the first game I remember playing was Galaga. I can't remember if it was the arcade or Atari version...I know I had the Atari version, and I don't know if I played that first, but I did play the hell out of that version.

#31 Posted by IAmNotBatman (644 posts) -

My first gaming experience was (probably) Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Master System, but I don't remember much about my childhood ages 1-10 so it could be anything on that console really. All I remember was ALOT of Sonic and I'm 21 btw.

#32 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I'm 20 and the first game I ever played was SMB3 when I was like 4.

#33 Edited by Poost (73 posts) -

I'm currently 25 and my dad said I was on a computer by the time I was around 2 and a half years old. My earliest gaming memories:

The Castle of Dr. Brain (released when I was 5): I remember spending entire mornings playing though this over and over.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate (released when I was 6)

Magic Carpet (released when I was 8)

I know we had a Colecovision console with games like Ladybug (Pac-man rip off), but the memories from the PC games are far clearer.

#34 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

I'm 35 (next Thursday). My first gaming memory..tricky. I have to give a couple of games since I don't recall dates that far back, but Zaxxon, Beach Head and some maze game (all on the Vic-20 with a cassette drive). Around the same time we got a Atari.

#35 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

I'm 15, and my first gaming experience was probably Super Mario 64 when I was about 4 or so.

#36 Edited by cid798 (242 posts) -

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2 and Spacequest on a Tandy 1000 II with a 1 button joystick. I was about 6 or 7 around 1990.

#37 Posted by Danteveli (1185 posts) -

23 and I think Mariobros was first I remember

#38 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I'm 16. My first gaming experience was a Super Mario Collection in the SNES. I also rember playing a lot of Doom Troopers with my sister.

#39 Posted by Grillbar (1825 posts) -

im 25 first game bubble bobble i was 1 or 2 years

#40 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Age/Sex/Location?

Ok then.

25/Male/Maryland -- I was playing the wizard and the princess on my dads apple II when i was 3-5. im sure i died a lot, and i know i liked playing in basic more. I then graduated to playing Tetris and secret agent on windows 3.5. on my 5th Christmas i got the best Christmas present i would ever receive, a Nintendo, and Super Mario bros. I ended up skiping the super nintendo/sega era and ended up playing a lot more pc games, mostly the $10 games on the best buy shelf, but back then they had a lot more, better titles on the $10 shelf. i ended up buying a n64 for the second gen, probably because it was cheaper or because it had Zelda. I bet it was because it had Zelda. and for the gc / ps2 / dc gen i ended up skipping the dreamcast, because i saw that was a sinking ship. and got a game cube, because it was cheaper, but soon after i bought a ps2. i had always been a pc gamer, but that was the gen when i lost the fanboyism for consoles.

#41 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I'm 17 and the first game I can remember playing is a Snake clone on some DOS operating system and "Super Solvers: Challenge of the Ancient Empire", conveniently named SSA.exe so I had no idea what the actual name was until just this year when I decided to look it up. 

Oh and I was 3 or 4 at the time

#42 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

25 and the earliest I remember is Super Mario Bros on the NES.

#43 Posted by Kanden (132 posts) -

I'm 17 my first was Pokemon Yellow.

#44 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

20 and it's super mario world

I consider N64 to be the console of my childhood since I got it when I was 5 and had it until GCube came out

I had SNES prior to that but that was pre first grade I haughty doubt i knew what i was doing aside from mario which anyone can figure out

#45 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

18. My first memory is kind of a blur between a couple SNES games that I played and watched my brother play. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, and Link to the Past. I can't remember well enough to know which I played first. I beat Chrono Trigger first though so I guess I'll count that as the first.

#46 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

27 now. First game I played was Track and Field on NES with the power mat. First game I owned was Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt twin pack on NES... we didn't get the power mat bundle in time.

I just realized the first two games I could play were what would be considered motion controlled by today's standards.

#47 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

I'm 22. First game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. I used to play along-side my dad. We could never get passed that the damned water level....well not until I bought it again years later for the gameboy color and finally beat it.

#48 Posted by Deinos (89 posts) -

I am currently 32, and my first memory of gaming was on the Atari 2600... It was either Combat or River Raid. Man, I loved me some River Raid.

#49 Edited by nate6858 (164 posts) -

Age = 32. The first game I remember playing was The Hobbit on I believe a Tandy 1000? I must have been around 5 or 6, because I could read. I remember the game seeming astoundingly hard, especially because I knew the story (was on of my bedtime stories as a kid, thanks mom!) but it seemed impossible. Also, I was 5 or 6 so...

BEST early gaming experience for me came soon after, with my introduction to adventure games and Sierra games via Space Quest .. I still have vivid memories of certain parts of that game, even though I was 6 or 7 years old when I played it. Hell, the 6858 part of my username is a reference to that game! The best part was that I played through the whole game with my dad. The best was we got to a point where there was a laser force field blocking the path, and we just could. not. figure it out. We put our heads together and tried everything and it always resulted in poor Roger Wilco being cut into horrible, bloody ribbons. Being an elementary school kid at the time, I was sent to bed at some ungodly hour, probably 8:30 pm, and I tossed and turned in said bed trying to puzzle out a way around this god forsaken laser force field which, in retrospect, had absolutely NO BUSINESS being inside of a cave!

Tossing and turning in bed, I then heard, from downstairs, a sound that sounded like, "WHOOOOP!!!" but to my young ears, only sounded like victory. I FLEW down those stairs, 3 at a time (not an easy feat for the stumpy legs of a 1st grader) and ran to the computer. Dad even reloaded the saved game to show me how it was done. The frustration, the brain pounding and failure after failure, and then, ELATION and SOLUTION! To me, that will always be video games.

#50 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -

I think I was 5, but Flight Simulator 3 on DOS.