What's Your Age/First Gaming Experience?

• 124 results
MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By MormonWarrior

I'm kind of curious about what the general age group is on this site. I'd figure they're around my age but I could be wrong. Some comments about Halo being a classic weirded me out the other day...but I guess they make sense.

Anyway. I'm 23 and my first memories of gaming are with my family's NES playing Super Mario Bros. 3, although I'm most nostalgic for the SNES since that was very much my "childhood console." The N64/PlayStation both kind of fit that category too, but by the time the PS2/Xbox/GameCube were out I was about a teenager so...yeah.

Also, I had a regular-ace Game Boy that was yellow and played a crap ton of Link's Awakening and Wario Land before Pokémon ever came out.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By herocide

18. The first game I remember playing is A Link to the Past, which remains my favourite game to date, but I've seen family videos of me as a baby with a genesis controller in my lap and Sonic on the TV, but I don't know if that counts.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mutley

I think, around 5 playing super mario brothers on my super nintendo.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By boboblaw

Wonderboy in Monsterland when I was 3. It was my brothers Master System that we took up to grandparents for christmas in scotland and that is the first game I ever(or at least remember) playing.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I'm 19 and my first experience was playing a Mario game in a hotel room when I was really young, I don't remember which one it was. After that my cousin (who is about 30 years older than me) gave me old Atari 2600 and a ton of games which was pretty awesome.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Turambar

24, and my first game was playing Adventure Island on one of those bootleg 67 games in one cartridge back when I was 3 or 4.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deadmanforking

I'm 20.

First game I remember was Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive when I was 3.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By VisariLoyalist

18 and my first gaming experience were educational games on the PC from a very young age. Such as! Wishbone!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShaggE

25. My first was a DOS edutainment game that I can't recall the name of.

Edit: @VisariLoyalist: I was JUST thinking about that game/show/etc. this morning. :D

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By topsteer

I'll be 25 in a couple of weeks and I remember playing an Atari 2600 but I can't remember any of the games.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By matthias2437

I'm 20. My first gaming experience was playing Wolfenstein 3d when I was 8 at my aunt and uncles house. It was awesome.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

I'm 46. Pong was my first gaming experience at a friend's house. I was eleven.

conformunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By conformunist

26 and my family got me a commodore 64 when I was a tot (don't ask me why. Getting a kid to figure out the C64 run commands when he can barely read has got to be technically some sort of abuse).

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uniform

34. My first gaming experience was either the Ms. Pac-man arcade machine at a local pizza place close to school, or it was these little Q-Bert and Frogger mini-arcade machines a kid brought to school. These both occurred around 1983.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By takashichea

I can't remember the exact age, but it was during sixth grade so I guessed 10 years old. My first game that my parents bought was Mario Party for the N64. The first game I played was Super Mario 64 at a friend's house.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aetheldod

29 , and as far as I can remember there always been videogames at my household , the first was an intellevision .... not sure which game tho

Avatar image for brechtiandinnertheater
BrechtianDinnerTheater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 26, and I remember my grandmother got all of these Apogee shareware games when I was like six or seven (she wrote instruction manuals for software for a living)... in particular I have fond memories of playing Secret Agent every time I'd go to visit. I also remember thinking Commander Keen was like the hardest thing, ever. Until a couple Hanukkahs later when they bought me an original fat Gameboy, video games and Apogee shareware titles were entirely synonymous for me.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Buscemi

I'm 20 and the first game I can really remember playing was Supaplex, though I did play that game where you shoot balloons as well. Don't know the name of it, though.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Dogma

I'm 30 and my first solid memory of a game is the firt Star Wars Arcade cainet where you flew through the Deathstar. I have during my younger years in the early 80s been mesmorized by arcades but it was during 1987-1988 or something like that that I first played NES (SMB och Cobra Triangle) and from that moment there was no turning back. Didn't get a NES first though but a Commodore 128.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By YoungFrey

37. My first experience was either Zork or Hunt the Wumpus on the hospital mainframe where my father worked. I played them both on the same trip, I just can't rememeber which was first.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

18, I played Duke Nukem 3D and Monster Truck Madness. When I was like 3 or 4.

cheesimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cheesimus

I'm 37 and my first gaming experience was Ant Attack on the ZX81. Looking back, it's astonishing that someone made an isometric 3D game on, even at the time, such a primitive machine.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RazielCuts
Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

19, Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt

Yeah, the NES and the games were hand-me-downs. But I'm sort of glad I was able to experience the NES even though I was born in the 90s. DuckTales was the shit.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm 21. The first gaming memory that I have is of Super Mario 64. I played it in a store and I believe that it was on launch day. My memory of that day is very distinct, and I remember how firmly the idea of the wing hat was in my mind. It had obviously been on television for quite some time, because I seemed to instinctively know that it was important, and exactly how it worked.

I did not obtain a gameboy until 1999, or an N64 until 2001, but I suspect that the 5 minutes that I spent playing that demo determined the course of my life.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By AlexW00d

21. Megadrive. Young. Sonic. Ecco. History.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I'm 20 and the first game I played was Heroes of Might and Magic II. I won.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By TehFlan

I'm 18 and my first gaming experience was Dr. Mario on the NES.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By phish09

I'm 28 and the first game I remember playing was Galaga. I can't remember if it was the arcade or Atari version...I know I had the Atari version, and I don't know if I played that first, but I did play the hell out of that version.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By IAmNotBatman

My first gaming experience was (probably) Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Master System, but I don't remember much about my childhood ages 1-10 so it could be anything on that console really. All I remember was ALOT of Sonic and I'm 21 btw.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm 20 and the first game I ever played was SMB3 when I was like 4.

Poost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Poost

I'm currently 25 and my dad said I was on a computer by the time I was around 2 and a half years old. My earliest gaming memories:

The Castle of Dr. Brain (released when I was 5): I remember spending entire mornings playing though this over and over.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate (released when I was 6)

Magic Carpet (released when I was 8)

I know we had a Colecovision console with games like Ladybug (Pac-man rip off), but the memories from the PC games are far clearer.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By lazyturtle

I'm 35 (next Thursday). My first gaming memory..tricky. I have to give a couple of games since I don't recall dates that far back, but Zaxxon, Beach Head and some maze game (all on the Vic-20 with a cassette drive). Around the same time we got a Atari.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By Sooperspy

I'm 15, and my first gaming experience was probably Super Mario 64 when I was about 4 or so.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cid798

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2 and Spacequest on a Tandy 1000 II with a 1 button joystick. I was about 6 or 7 around 1990.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#37  Edited By Danteveli

23 and I think Mariobros was first I remember

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikeGosot

I'm 16. My first gaming experience was a Super Mario Collection in the SNES. I also rember playing a lot of Doom Troopers with my sister.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grillbar

im 25 first game bubble bobble i was 1 or 2 years

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Dagbiker

Age/Sex/Location?

Ok then.

25/Male/Maryland -- I was playing the wizard and the princess on my dads apple II when i was 3-5. im sure i died a lot, and i know i liked playing in basic more. I then graduated to playing Tetris and secret agent on windows 3.5. on my 5th Christmas i got the best Christmas present i would ever receive, a Nintendo, and Super Mario bros. I ended up skiping the super nintendo/sega era and ended up playing a lot more pc games, mostly the $10 games on the best buy shelf, but back then they had a lot more, better titles on the $10 shelf. i ended up buying a n64 for the second gen, probably because it was cheaper or because it had Zelda. I bet it was because it had Zelda. and for the gc / ps2 / dc gen i ended up skipping the dreamcast, because i saw that was a sinking ship. and got a game cube, because it was cheaper, but soon after i bought a ps2. i had always been a pc gamer, but that was the gen when i lost the fanboyism for consoles.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jack268

I'm 17 and the first game I can remember playing is a Snake clone on some DOS operating system and "Super Solvers: Challenge of the Ancient Empire", conveniently named SSA.exe so I had no idea what the actual name was until just this year when I decided to look it up. 

Oh and I was 3 or 4 at the time

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fenixrevolution

25 and the earliest I remember is Super Mario Bros on the NES.

Kanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kanden

I'm 17 my first was Pokemon Yellow.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mac_n_nina

20 and it's super mario world

I consider N64 to be the console of my childhood since I got it when I was 5 and had it until GCube came out

I had SNES prior to that but that was pre first grade I haughty doubt i knew what i was doing aside from mario which anyone can figure out

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MezZa

18. My first memory is kind of a blur between a couple SNES games that I played and watched my brother play. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, and Link to the Past. I can't remember well enough to know which I played first. I beat Chrono Trigger first though so I guess I'll count that as the first.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrKlorox

27 now. First game I played was Track and Field on NES with the power mat. First game I owned was Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt twin pack on NES... we didn't get the power mat bundle in time.

I just realized the first two games I could play were what would be considered motion controlled by today's standards.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#47  Edited By Hector

I'm 22. First game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. I used to play along-side my dad. We could never get passed that the damned water level....well not until I bought it again years later for the gameboy color and finally beat it.

deinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deinos

I am currently 32, and my first memory of gaming was on the Atari 2600... It was either Combat or River Raid. Man, I loved me some River Raid.

nate6858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By nate6858

Age = 32. The first game I remember playing was The Hobbit on I believe a Tandy 1000? I must have been around 5 or 6, because I could read. I remember the game seeming astoundingly hard, especially because I knew the story (was on of my bedtime stories as a kid, thanks mom!) but it seemed impossible. Also, I was 5 or 6 so...

BEST early gaming experience for me came soon after, with my introduction to adventure games and Sierra games via Space Quest .. I still have vivid memories of certain parts of that game, even though I was 6 or 7 years old when I played it. Hell, the 6858 part of my username is a reference to that game! The best part was that I played through the whole game with my dad. The best was we got to a point where there was a laser force field blocking the path, and we just could. not. figure it out. We put our heads together and tried everything and it always resulted in poor Roger Wilco being cut into horrible, bloody ribbons. Being an elementary school kid at the time, I was sent to bed at some ungodly hour, probably 8:30 pm, and I tossed and turned in said bed trying to puzzle out a way around this god forsaken laser force field which, in retrospect, had absolutely NO BUSINESS being inside of a cave!

Tossing and turning in bed, I then heard, from downstairs, a sound that sounded like, "WHOOOOP!!!" but to my young ears, only sounded like victory. I FLEW down those stairs, 3 at a time (not an easy feat for the stumpy legs of a 1st grader) and ran to the computer. Dad even reloaded the saved game to show me how it was done. The frustration, the brain pounding and failure after failure, and then, ELATION and SOLUTION! To me, that will always be video games.

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jangofett88

I think I was 5, but Flight Simulator 3 on DOS.