What's Your Favorite B-Tier Game Of Past Generations?

• 59 results
OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OceanEve

There's been alot of talk about how the B Level Titles have rapidly gone away from this generation. I kinda miss this because while certainly not perfect, there were some decent games that came out at a lower price point or unpolished as compared to AAA projects. A couple of my favorites were I-Ninja, the Destroy All Humans games, Dark Sector,Shadow Of The Dammed, and I'm not sure if it counts cause it's a licensed property but The Simpsons Hit & Run and The Simpsons Game (2007).

So what were some of your favorites?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darksiders 1 and 2 if that counts

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Remember Me. That's kinda non-AAA right? Does Sleeping Dogs count?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@theht said:

Remember Me. That's kinda non-AAA right? Does Sleeping Dogs count?

If Shadow Of The Dammed (via EA and a studio that's got over 100 people to put onto projects) counts then I'm pretty sure you can make the argument for anything.

Definitely think Remember Me deserves to be up there if we're just making a category for stuff smaller than an Assassin's Creed development effort but bigger than a typical (under 10 person, very limited external funding) indie project.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Deadly Premonition.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Binary Domain was the first one that popped into my mind. Gameplay had problems and the story wasn't always great, but man, that thing had some ambition and almost delivered on it.

The Witcher might actually count as well? I feel bad putting it there as it's one of my favourite games of all time, but it is has so many rough edges I definitely wouldn't call it polished.

Singularity deserves a mention too.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Binary Domain & Vanquish

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By superfriend

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth was in many ways a B or maybe C tier game, if that sort of thing exists. But, boy did that game have some great atmosphere. I still think it's one of the best horror/survival games ever. If only the PC port did´t crash all the time!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't think I know what qualifies a game as B-Tier. Does Bayonetta count? That's just one of my favorite games ever. Same with Journey. Asura's Wrath comes to mind as a neat thing. I adored the original Witcher in spite of it's problems. Mafia 1/2 were awesome. The Trials games are cool. And I do like me some Torchlight and Titan Quest, even if Diablo heavily overshadows those games. Never got into PoE for whatever reason, art mostly I think.

I would say Drakengard or Nier, but I think my appreciation for Yoko Taro is mostly masochistic.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

• Double Dragon Neon
  • Binary Domain
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Bayonetta
  • Folklore
DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Binary Domain and Nier if those count? The definition of B-tier is pretty vague, and shouldn't really be a negative thing. If that's the case then those are two really cool stories, except Nier makes me want to die

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

There's probably some more I can't think of right now, (and a few already mentioned in here I would not say are B-Tier games, Bayonetta is not a B-Tier game guys) but I would hold up Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. Quite enjoyed that one. Good shooting, solid story (even though it had goofy dialogue and all), and a fun Western world to move through.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binary Domain seems like the best fit. Totally average, but really endearing anyway.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Remember Me. One of my favorite games of all time. I think that game did a lot of incredible things. The combat was divisive, but I had a blast with it. The music was stellar. The setting while not entirely unique, truly felt like a real place. I thought it looked great, both stylistically and in a technical sense. Again, while not entirely unique, I thought the story touched on a lot of fun concepts and ideas, especially how Nilin wrestles with the idea that maybe she is "the bad guy" so the thought of getting her memory back starts to scare her.

That's a thing a lot of stories involving amnesia seem to conveniently ignore. Characters always assume what they're doing the right thing even though they don't have the full picture. To be fair, Remember me doesn't explore the concept too much, but I appreciate how they handled it nonetheless.

I'd have to add Folklore to that list as well. It's still a pretty unique game even by today's standards. Had a great story too.

Anarchy Reigns might have one of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time. The gameplay was great. It's Platinum-style characters with Platinum-style combat beating the fuck out of each other? What's not to love? The story mode was fun, but the focus was clearly on multiplayer. It was somewhat jarring at first, but once you embrace the absolute chaos, it's hard to put down the controller. That said, again, the music was just too good.

Dragon's Crown and Muramasa - Ah, Vanillaware, we don't deserve you. Your beautiful art is too good for us mere mortals. Also, I love that every game is something new and interesting in terms of gameplay. As much as I would like an Odin Sphere/Dragon's Crown/Muramasa/Grim Grimoire 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on, I love that they make one super unique thing then move onto the next.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have never understood the talk about there being a disappearance of B-tier titles. They are my favorites, and there are plenty of them, if you go looking. I tend to think that some of the indie scene supplements the B- and C-tier niche, as well.

As for my favorite B-tier stuff, now and forever my answer has to be Earth Defense Force - any and all of them.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lords of the Fallen probably slots into this. Aside from being this generation.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@whitegreyblack: Yeah I was gonna say EDF but looking at some of the games in this thread I have no idea what's considered a B tier game anymore. A lot of these seem pretty A comparatively.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Wasteland 2
  • Saints Row The Third
  • Saints Row IV
thdemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binary Domain and Bulletstorm for me. Two games I had minimal interest in, tried on a whim, and fell in love with.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EDF 2017 for the Xbox 360. Played that game a ton - got a bit obsessive about getting every weapon. Listened to a good percentage of the back catalog of Bombcasts while playing that game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it depends on your definition of "B tier", but I'd probably say Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. It is exactly the kind of mid-tier JRPG I've missed so much this gen.

TakyonDG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TakyonDG

Anarchy Reigns. That game could have been so cool if the publisher didn't torpedo it on every single level. Actually lots of Platinum stuff - Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, etc.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Some of the games people have listed here are super not B-tier.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought Space Marine was a B Tier game. Absolutely a favorite of mine.

I have a copy of Vanquish I think, Lords of the Fallen died of a unrelenting fatal bug for me.

But 2 mentions of Shadow of the Damned in as many days makes me want to play that game so much

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another vote for Binary Domain. I believe Vinny is the only Giant Bomb staff member who ever played it, and I think it's lame that no one else bothered with it; I'm convinced they would've found it way more interesting than a Gears of War 7, for example.

The ending was fantastic, and I'd love a sequel, but the game didn't exactly tear up the sales charts, I assume. Plus, Nagoshi-san already has his hands full with Yakuza 15.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Nier is the best video game ever made, but I guess no one else thinks this so it's B-Tier.

Binary Domain and Resonance of Fate are great too

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earth Defense Force 2017.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OurSin_360

Adding anarchy reigns to my list, super underrated game that too many people overlooked.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition and Persona 4

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought of another one I would consider a B-Tier game: Viking Battle for Asgard. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways actually, as far as melding open world and beat em up type action. Really repetitive but I quite enjoyed it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon's Souls. Still more interesting than its bigger, browner successors, in my opinion.

RedPhoenix122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the online stuff in White Knight Chronicles was pretty cool, wish the servers would have stayed up longer.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily Eeadly Premonition, but B tier might be generous for how rough the combat is. Story and mood make up for it in my opinion though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Binary Domain seems like the best fit. Totally average, but really endearing anyway.

Big Bo: "That was SWEEEET!"

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Hand.

shifty13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shifty13

@artisanbreads said:

I thought of another one I would consider a B-Tier game: Viking Battle for Asgard. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways actually, as far as melding open world and beat em up type action. Really repetitive but I quite enjoyed it.

I also would say this one, a good video game rental. The short story sorta sucked but the huge action sequences with all of your troops were really fantastic for the time.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a reminder that when using terms like AAA and B it's usually in regards to budget, not how much you like a game or how polished you think it is.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Funny to look at it that was but I suppose when you ignore the monster the Souls series has become, Dark Souls would probably fit here.

That said, Nier is the best. Damn, Nier is so good. I'm gonna have to dig out my PS3 and play Nier again now.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Dragon's Dogma counts as "B Tier" then I'll go with that, though I can't really name any game that could have been directed by Ed Wood.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bybeach

I can't believe I forgot to mention Shadow Warrior 2. I am really having a good time with this game. Ran out of juice, at least for the moment with Mafia 3, and shadow Warrior 2 was the pull.

ehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Brutal Legend and Max Payne 3

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@ehhh said:

Max Payne 3

That is definitely not a B-Tier game. The production values were crazy, huge budget, spent forever in development, big franchise, and was put out by Rockstar.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition. Oh and I remember having a good time with that Bound By Flame game released awhile back, it's made by those Spider guys. They seem to really want to make something epic but they just don't quite have the means.

EDIT: Oh and the people mentioning Binary Domain, thats a quality shooter with a lot of heart. Really enjoyed it.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: Fuck Yeah! Bound by Flame is the quintessential "B" game. It had heart, gameplay that was just good enough and a narrative that was absurdly archetypal but fun.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BoOzak

@matoya said:

God Hand.

That and most of Clovers games, you could tell they were low(ish) budget experiments but they all had heart even P.N.03 paved the way for Vanquish in it's own weird way.

I dont know if i'd classify Platinum's games as "B-Tier" though. Unless you consider anything that isnt AAA or indie B-Tier. (it's a pretty nebulous term I guess)

I also liked the Dead to Rights series of games, they were dumber versions of Max Payne but you had a dog which could tear dudes up.

EDIT: I suppose the games PG put out for Activision could be considered B-Tier. Transformers Devastation was the only one worth a damn though.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Binary Domain, Vanquish, weird fit but Wolfenstein: The New Order because it totally felt like a AA release despite the pedigree.