• 181 results
#151 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Am I the first smartass to say "mouse and keyboard"?

#152 Posted by Grillbar (1812 posts) -

@Berserker976 said:

@Grillbar said:

overall mouse and keyboard if that counts. after that its some off brand ps1 controller but cant remember what its called. fit perfectly in my hands, was soft, and had build in fan coolers that actually worked decently.

the analog sticks on all the ps controllers has a tendency to do some damage to my middle fingers after some time where it digs in to the skin and makes a dent. granted its due to the fact that im holding it wrong but its feels even more wrong if i but my middle fingers on the R2/L2 buttons if its in games where i rarely use it, the snes and sega cd ones were not bad either. and i personally hated the n64 controller. everytime i used it i wanted to break it

How... how would you even DO that?? I've tried and I can't get my hands into a position where there's even a slight danger of that happening.

(My vote is for the Duke. LONG LIVE THE DUKE!)

pretty easy if i play a game where i rarely use the R2/L2 the middle fingers gets folded under the controller and the tip (first legiment but on its side) is resting on the underside/edge of the L and R analog sticks.

its not permanent damage but it can hurt for some time

#153 Posted by DocPorpoise (109 posts) -

based purely on comfort the game cube controller. it may not have had the best button layout but i could use that controller for hours with out my fingers cramping up or the side of my hand going numb (a problem i have with the dual shock). the 360's my all round best.

#154 Edited by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

I still think a heavier, less plastic-y Gamecube controller (specifically a Wavebird with the rumble functionality) would win, but based off controllers that actually exist, I'll say the 360.

@Video_Game_King said:

Am I the first smartass to say "mouse and keyboard"?

Nope, because OP didn't specify Gamepad.

I love the mouse and keyboard for most of the titles I play, but there's obviously a lot more buttons than you'll ever need, no analog controls, and no force feedback. Although I do still own a Logitech iFeel mouse! It just hasn't been supported for a decade.

#155 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@AndrewB:

Yea, if I was being serious, I'd say the 360 controller, too, given how versatile it can be. I only said "mouse and keyboard" because some genres demand it. Half-Life 2 is the reason why I can't play a console FPS anymore.

#156 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The Dualshock 2 is probably my absolute favorite. After that I think the Xbox "S"/Xbox 360 are tied and for the era before analog sticks I would say I loved the Sega Saturn pad.

#157 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

KB&M

Honorary mention to Move + Nav

#158 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@AndrewB:

Yea, if I was being serious, I'd say the 360 controller, too, given how versatile it can be. I only said "mouse and keyboard" because some genres demand it. Half-Life 2 is the reason why I can't play a console FPS anymore.

And I can never play any FPS on a console for the same reason. At least competitively. It amazes me seeing the precision of the shooting in some Quick Looks (where Giant Bomb practically never shows the PC version of a game unless it's a specific occasion), and yet even then I can see where the precision of even the cheapest of mice would be infinitely better.

#159 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I think I replied to this thread when it was made, but regardless, probably the PS2 controller. Maybe PS3. 360 is up there too, but I just prefer the PS style of controller.

#160 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Dualshock controllers.

#161 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

I'd say anybody who says the N64 controller is crazy. That thing is clunky, of bad quality and has horrible button layout. 
Personally, I prefer the 360 controller. It's just a great fit in my hands.

#162 Posted by DecoderOtter (6 posts) -

I loved the N64 paddle. It had the best feedback of any analogue stick.

#163 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

360 controller probably just wish it was a little bigger. I also like the old flat designs like the NES and SNES controllers.

#164 Posted by Daiphyer (1333 posts) -

I would've said the 360, but the fact that that stupid D-Pad makes some games real hard to play really takes it down.

Soooooooo, the NES controller.

#165 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

Keyboard and mouse? :D

If you won't accept it- then I'll cover my bases with the various Dualshocks. >_>

#166 Posted by Happenstance (462 posts) -

Probably my 6 button Mega Drive controller but I did also love the Gamecube one.

#167 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Dualshocks 2 and 3 are the ones that I've used the most, but the 360 controller is easily the best.

#168 Posted by Jnorman (67 posts) -

Hear me out with this one, the Saturn Six Button controller. Best D-pad I had ever used up until that point.

#169 Posted by Mr_Slime (6 posts) -

Competition Pro for my good old C-64.

#170 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

360 controller. Very comfy, ergonomic and the triggers are great. The D-pad isn't really an issue for me, since it's rarely used anyway.

#171 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
Steel Battalion certainly had the MOST controller.
#172 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

@Smallerz said:

The GameCube controller is an ergonomist's wet dream.

I agree!

#173 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Current gen 360 gamepad for formfactor, minus the D-pad. Current PS3 gamepad for analogstick precision. Dpad from Nintendo. Love the 6-shoulderbuttons of the Razr Onza. Mix all of this, and a mousewheel button or two to the layout, and I'd have my favorite gamepad of all times.

#174 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -

The Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro is probably the controller I have been happiest with, it was a big improvement over what came before and just all around a great product, not only had it all the funky new digital modes for Win95, but it was also downward compatible to old DOS games by being able to emulate Thrustmaster and CH Flightsticks. If it wouldn't be for the lack of gameports on modern PCs I would still be using it.

The Xbox360 is right now probably the best thing you can find for modern games, but the shitty dpad, the terrible driver, the fragile wireless adapter and no official support for the chatpad on PC are really preventing it from being called a favorite. It's a really solid product that Microsoft just refuses to give that last ounce of polish that it really needs.

#175 Posted by CooVee (144 posts) -

The 360 controller. Never had a problem with the dpad.

#176 Posted by raidingkvatch (1150 posts) -

360 controller, brilliant shape, logical design, everything feels like it's where it should be. Shame about the shitty about the shitty d-pad.

#177 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

360 by far, PS3 controller has been garbage since Playstation games stop using the D Pad as the main movement input.

#178 Posted by Shaunage (698 posts) -

Sega Saturn's d-pad, Xbox 360's main design, PS3's bumpers.

#179 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

Dual Shock 3. Symmetrical, great d-pad, perfect size.

#180 Posted by vinone (129 posts) -

I honestly really liked the Gamecube controller... I wish they wouldn't have gone with the Z button and the C-stick, but it was close to being a very great controller. Other than that, I'm pretty much ok with anything, they all get the job done.

#181 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

@vinone said:

I honestly really liked the Gamecube controller... I wish they wouldn't have gone with the Z button and the C-stick, but it was close to being a very great controller. Other than that, I'm pretty much ok with anything, they all get the job done.

I think the Gamecube is my favorite of all time. It had some problems, but to me it was overall the most comfortable. I love the button layout too, really wish more people would adopt that style of having a central button instead of just a diamond.