- Mass Effect
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Red Dead: Redemption
- Gears of War
- Fallout 3
- Halo Reach
- Assassin's Creed II
Ok lets give this a try.
- Bioshock 2
- Max Payne 3
- Red Dead Redemption
- Batman Arkham City
- Fallout 3
- Fallout NV
- Gears of War Series
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom hourglass
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
- Mass Effect Series (especially 2)
- Saints row the third
- Deus Ex: HR
- Assassins creed 1,2, Brohood, rev and 3
- The Walking Dead
- Halo Reach
- Splinter Cell: Conviction
- Borderlands 2
If we're doinG handheld and downloadable games as well then:
- The World Ends With You
- Super Meat Boy
- Trials Evolution
- The Binding of Isaac
- Crisis Core
- Ben there, Dan that (If that counts)
- I'm also going to say Kingdom Hearts: Birth by sleep (because it's the best KH has been in a while.)
Wow that's a surprisingly large amount of games. I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting, this has been a pretty fantastic generation despite the domination of COD and shooters and while I acknowledge a significant portion of these are shooters I still like them.
If I had to narrow it down I'd say TWEWY, red dead, Bioshock 1, walking dead, saints row, Max Payne 3, Mario galaxy 1, and Batman AC, ME series, AC series were my favorite games of this generation and some of my favorite ever Mario Galaxy, red dead and TWEWY especially. Sorry for the huge post.
Off the top of my head, Oblivion, Valkyria Chonicles. Uncharted 1&2, Mass Effect 2, NIER, Witcher 2, Yakuza3&4, Final Fantasy XIII, Fallout 3, Dragon Age:Origins, Demons/Dark Souls, Heavy Rain, 999, Lux-Pain, The World Ends With You, Pokemon( insert colour here ), Tales of Gaces f, Sakura Wars, Fragile Dream: farewell ruins of the moon, MGS4, Rune Factory oceans, COD 4, Kenka Bancho badass rumble, Peace Walker, Copse Party and many others i can't think of at the moment.
- Mass Effect 2 & 3. The first just hasn't aged as well for me. The second was video game storytelling at its finest, and the third... "There's a REAPER in my way, Wrex!"
- XCOM. Until they make a new one, because its particular brand of giving every choice tangible consequences is something that there's just nothing else out there to match right now. Also because of its absurd level of replayability.
- Skyrim. Do I really have to elaborate here?
- Forza Motorsport 4. It was just so far ahead of anything else in the genre when it came out, and it still is. Until they release a racing game of this caliber on PC where it's a lot easier to foster a huge online community, this one's going to stay at the top of my heap.
- Assassin's Creed series.
- Dark Souls. For when XCOM Impossible just isn't hateful enough.
Since people seem to have gone for multiple entries:
Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2, Bastion, Orcs Must Die, Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution, Dragon Age 2
Edit: and I forgot to mention Portal(s) in all of that. Probably more I am forgetting, but that is the series that feels weird to leave out.
Off the top of my head:
- Mass Effect, Fable, Gears, and Halo series
- PoP '08
- Lost Odyssey
- Arkham series
- Heavy Rain
- Deadly Premonitions
- Walking Dead
- Persona 3 and 4
- Assassin's Creed 3
- EDF 2017
- Mario Galaxy
- Skyward Sword
- Asura's Wrath
- Fallout 3
- CoD 4
Assassin's Creed II, Batman Arkham City, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Journey, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Portal 2, Gears of War, The Witcher 2, Dead Space 2, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Starcraft 2, Darksiders, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect 2, Demon's Souls, To the Moon, and Spec Ops The Line are probably the most memorable ones for me