#1 Posted by Pr1mus (3914 posts) -

#2 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

The text.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Where's "other"? What if I prefer a graded system, like navgtr?

#4 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

A-F

That's what I usually use if I have to give a score.

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Jimi said:

The text.

Yep. For games/genres or whatever I know I will not like. I'd prefer a 5 point system to see the quality of it.

Also, a 3/5 is not the same as a 6.0 or a 60% when it comes to reviews. Math has them equal to eachother but in a review, they are separate things with different meanings.

#6 Posted by bartok (2481 posts) -

5 Star seems to work the best.  At some point during the 10 point system anything below an 8 somehow came to mean crap and the .5 shit is just stupid.   The 100 point scale is just silly because you've made a 100% such a rare occasion that the reviewer is purposely looking for minute flaws to knock off a few points.  

#7 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

@Pr1mus: something like the reviews of 1up

#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I don't have a favorite.

#9 Posted by wemibelec90 (1672 posts) -

I like no rating, personally.  I always read a review when I want to know about a game, not just look at the score.  In the end, it is just something for the reviewer to stress about and for the legions of fanboys on the Internet to bitch about being too low or too high.
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Pr1mus:

Yea, I mean an A-F grade. I'm not sure that it's used often (the Clinton years are over, after all), but it's still an option. Even if I don't prefer it (I'm into a decimaled 10 point scale).

#11 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1263 posts) -

After reading a bunch of reviews in the 10 point scale and 100 point scale I've come to prefer the 5 point. It at least gets the point across of how they feel about something.

I'm still not really sure how a 82% is decided over an 87% but there must be metrics used I'm not aware of.

#12 Posted by RecSpec (3819 posts) -

The 5 point system. The simplicity of it.

#13 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

How much I might like a game can not be reduced to a petty number system

#14 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

I don't like scores or grades. I think they are counter-intuitive to the act of actually critiquing something. I don't even like reviews that give recommendations of whether a game is or is not worth your time. Game critics are not scientists and they do not have a magic formula to determine a game's quality. Critics are people, like you and me, that happen to be better at putting their thoughts into words than most of us are. I won't lie, for a game I only have a passing interest in, I will glance at the score and skip the review, altogether. However, for a game I am deeply interested in, I will read multiple reviews and really get a feel for what people think is good or bad about a game. In my opinion, arbitrary scoring systems do nothing but harm for all the forms of entertainment to which they are applied. There are two ways to feel about pretty much anything - Like it or Not. Even then, if Jeff hates a game (Catherine), that doesn't mean I should avoid it and as it turned out in the case of Catherine, I loved it.

Truth be told, the best way to judge a game is to play it, yourself, which is why I put only the most minimal amount of stock in any scoring system.

#15 Posted by Protome (347 posts) -

I don't like review scores in general, just read the text and figure out whether you will be able to overlook the problems that the reviewer found, or see if you are interested in what they considered the high points of the game.

#16 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

Bad, Mediocre, Good, Very Good, Excellent. Call it how you want, but I want those basic grades in my reviews.

#17 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

I like the 5 point scale. In general, I like systems with fewer gradations, because they tend to avoid the Four Point Scale.

#18 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

5star with half scores. I wish giantbomb would use half stars, just to differentiate a 5/5 and 4.5/5  

Just to see less "perfect scores" and just so those games that are truely mind blowing perfection furthing game development and being an example of the whole "video games as art" thing can recieve them.  

I just feel some games recieve 5/5 not because they deserve it, but because the 4/5 is an injustice. I dunno, I'm prob alone on this one.
#19 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Of all the ill advised review scoring systems, the 'sub categories' used by sites like GameTrailers and IGN are the worst. 

#20 Posted by selbie (1904 posts) -

A simpler scoring system enables the reader to quickly understand the quality of the game. You can try to be as objective as possible with the review, but there will always be some form of personal subjectivity to the qualities of a game. So the more fine-grained a score system is, the more susceptible it is to subjective opinion. For instance how do you distinguish the difference between a 84% game and a 87% game.

#21 Edited by Shadowsun (7 posts) -

Since I started getting on the site more, I've realized that watching a Quick Look makes me want to play a game far more than a high review score would, even if it's a somewhat mediocre game, so I suppose I'd like to see more stuff like that in place of scored reviews.

#22 Edited by Cirdain (3089 posts) -

@Jimi

The text.

I use a 2 point scale.

0/2 = One, Two & Three star games - cos' they aren't great

1/2 = Three to Five star games

2/2 = Sublime games

You may notice the apparent overlap in quality, with 3 star equvilant games.

Deadly Premonition and many others.

The Two-Point scale. The best scale.

#23 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Knowing the reviewer and having a Yes/No system, failing that 5 star is also acceptable. Basically the simplest thing possible.

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Games I like, games I don't like.

#25 Edited by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

I'm a big fan of not the Giantbomb system coupled with the way games are reviewed, as I've been able to see 3-star reviews on this site and still know I was going to enjoy that game. Compare that to any 6/10 score on another site, which it seems is mostly given to garbage games(completely average games seldom get a 5/10, generally a 6 or 7 because of the pseudo-scale most sites use). Here I know that a 3-star game is above average/has more good points than bad. For instance, Alpha Protocol was a game I could totally understand the score for and the criticisms levelled against it, but I still knew I'd enjoy the shit out of it, and I did.

#26 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@Dany said:

@Jimi said:

The text.

Yep. For games/genres or whatever I know I will not like. I'd prefer a 5 point system to see the quality of it.

Also, a 3/5 is not the same as a 6.0 or a 60% when it comes to reviews. Math has them equal to eachother but in a review, they are separate things with different meanings.

Yes but a 3/5 should be the same as a 60, thats the problem with the 10 scale, its skewed towards the high numbers since when is 70 average and 60 shit. That and the fact that as others have mentioned no one, not even reviewers, know what the hell the difference is between say an 81 and an 86 mean the 10 scale generally is needlessly convoluted and isnt very good. I'm for the 5 system.

#27 Posted by guiseppe (2841 posts) -

I don't really care about how games are scored. I read the review and form an opinion on the game based on what's written about it.

#28 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

Five stars is all you need. If you want more specifics you should read the review. You can't add specifics to the score by resizing the scale to 100 points.

#29 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -

The text.

I'd prefer to use verdicts like "Instant Buy", "Buy later", "Not for everyone" and "Skip". This way, you have something working like a 4/5 point scale and you don't have people bitching about  how OMG HE GAVE IT THREE STARS.

#30 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I quite like a 3 score scale used by a few YouTube reviewers. The scores are bad, average, great.

#31 Posted by AndrewVerse (17 posts) -

Thumb up, thumb down.

#32 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Something akin to Rottentomatoes consensus bar.

Yes, it has a number affixed (though, that isn't really the film's 'score'), but the summary is more than enough.

A short paragraph explaining the title's quality is usually what I look for.

#33 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I like the way Giant Bomb does things. It gives me a quick idea of whether or not they liked they game, so I don't necessarily need to read a 1 or 2 star review unless it's a game I was already interested in.

#34 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

F- I don't read/watch reviews so none of them.

#35 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

@axlrose15 said:

Yes but a 3/5 should be the same as a 60, thats the problem with the 10 scale, its skewed towards the high numbers since when is 70 average and 60 shit.

Not really. In a 10-point scale, 5 is the average. 6 and 7 would be different degrees of "good", 8 and 9 of "great" and 10 should be "excellent". A 3/5, if you don't allow decimals, should be closer to 5/10 than 6/10.

#36 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

Bad, Mediocre, Good, Very Good, Excellent. Call it how you want, but I want those basic grades in my reviews.

#37 Posted by Positrark (316 posts) -

I'm on par with other people here. I like the 5 point scale because I feel the reviewer doesn't really need any more detailed scoring options, and also (and more importantly) it gave them the possibility of recalibrating the score so that a half good game gets half the possible score. In the past, many games shipped with a whole bunch of glitches and errors so the lowest scores were reserved for them. The problem now is that the quality of games in general have become so high that even the worst games usually look and play ok. Thus bad games today end up getting scores like 6.0 at IGN because they still get a points reward just for being playable, which is ridiculous, but due to continuity they can't reconfigure the scale. Thus you end up with a system where 6 means don't buy while a 9 means a great game.

#38 Posted by Capum15 (4903 posts) -

Written Text or Video Review.

I never just glance at the number/letter/whathaveyou if I'm on the fence about getting a game.

#39 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

1-5 or 1-10 are the best. Going as deep as 1-100 is stupid because, really, what's the difference between a game getting 86/100 and 87/100? It's just dumb.

#40 Posted by AndrewB (7621 posts) -

For anyone with a gaming budget, the only system you really need is a 3 star system.

It's the best of the best and you will buy it.

It's good and you probably should buy it.

It's not up to snuff (which could be anywhere from flawed with potential to utter trash).

It's sad that it has to be this way, but it's true. There are so many games out there that spending money on the ones that aren't great, especially the ones where they know they aren't yet still charge full price, is often a bad idea.

But I prefer a good ole' text review with a summarizing paragraph at the end (like all reviews should) for when I don't have the time.

#41 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Buy, Rent, Stay Away

#42 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Puppies, obviously.

#43 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I like the five point scale, it can be translated into many different things:

Excellent

Very good

Good

Average

Poor

Or maybe it could be (like on giant bomb) just the reveiwers opinion of the game:

I loved it

It was Great fun

I Liked it

It passed the time

I really dint like it

Or even their recommendation on weather to play it or not:

Must play game.

Strongly reccomend you play it

not for some but this game could be for you

Rent it

Dont buy it.

Yeah 5 points works. For more info see the latest jeff jar time video.

#44 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@axlrose15 said:

Yes but a 3/5 should be the same as a 60, thats the problem with the 10 scale, its skewed towards the high numbers since when is 70 average and 60 shit.

Not really. In a 10-point scale, 5 is the average. 6 and 7 would be different degrees of "good", 8 and 9 of "great" and 10 should be "excellent". A 3/5, if you don't allow decimals, should be closer to 5/10 than 6/10.

Are you deliberately being a tit or did you just misunderstand what I said? When was the last time a 5 on a 10 scale translated to average? On most of the sites that use it 7=average, anything below is, well, below average. I know 5 should be average, but thats the problem with sites that use the 10 (or 100) scale, it isnt average. A 5 translates into poo-gas all in your face. Sure the official line is 'oh yes 5/6 means mediocre' but its hardly used in that way.