• 55 results
#1 Edited by Humanity (8705 posts) -

I am in the process of upgrading my PC - I got all my new parts I'm just deciding on what case I should get. I am literally still using a case I bought nearly 10 years ago for $40 at a computer bodega type shop.

So I was thinking maybe some of you PC duders out there could inspire me by showing off some of your setups?

I'd love to see and the gangs setups too since I know some of them have hooked their PC's up to their TV's.

#2 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Humanity: Right now I am just running kind of normal stuff. Like the weirdest thing I am running right now is a Hard Drive just for Steam and other video games. Also some externals for like movies and other files.

#3 Posted by Loafsmooch (275 posts) -

I'm using a ~10 year old case too haha. Everything else is probably 3-4 years old though. Got my pc right in between my screen and my 44 inch tv so I can just switch whenever I feel like watching a movie on it.

#4 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

This is my PC which i built myself.

Its a i7 2600k (OC'ed to 4.6Ghz), GTX570, 8GB RAM.

and i have i plugged perminantly into a 46" samsung LCD.

#5 Posted by bemusedchunk (654 posts) -

`@Bell_End: Really diggin this setup. I'm a small, minimalist factor duder myself, and I can't stand the ostantatious shit with nothing but blue lights emitting out like there's some sort of silicon rave going on inside.

That being said, I recently built a pc (no pics on hand) and had it hooked up to the TV as well. It was mainly for WoW and Skyrim, but I was getting awfully tired of sitting on the floor for extended periods of time. So it went back in my room. Now, I'm much more comfortable (when doing mouse/keyboard) but I also want to lounge and use an xbox controller too.

#6 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

These are a bit old (except for the last one - that's current) but it's mostly unchanged, I have a new Panasonic plasma in place of the TV here though: (and yes that wire is hidden now)

Works like this, if I want to play games on my TV I turn on my amp, the TV auto switches to the amp channel and my PC auto switches sound over to my speakers. When I turn it back off sound gets changed back to my headphones. I also have a 360 pad for the console-like couch experience only at 1080P with 60 FPS. 3D is easy to get working on my PC too, but I rarely use 3D, never use it for games.

If I want to play at my desk with my headphones (Dolby Headphone rocks btw) I just use my monitor, which is a 24" 1080P display. It's the best of both worlds.

Edit: PC is on that box because having your PC on a carpet is a bad idea, the amount of dust you end up intaking is crazy.

#7 Posted by Humanity (8705 posts) -

@Bell_End: I like that top fan right above the ram

#8 Edited by Positrark (315 posts) -

@Bell_End: I have a very similar pc. Same cabinet and GTX570. Went with an i5 2500k OC to 4.3 GHz since processor is rarely a limiting factor in games. I'm actually about to put an Asus Xonar DX sound card in mine so I can hook it up to my new 55'' LED TV and get surround sound whenever i want to play Steam games with a 360 controller.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also have a similar, if not the same, Noctua CPU cooler.

#9 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Humanity said:

they're by a company called Noctua. a little bit more expensive than most fans but they are whisper quiet so its silent.

#10 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Positrark said:

@Bell_End: I have a very similar pc. Same cabinet and GTX570. Went with an i5 2500k OC to 4.3 GHz since processor is rarely a limiting factor in games. I'm actually about to put an Asus Xonar DX sound card in mine so I can hook it up to my new 55'' LED TV and get surround sound whenever i want to play Steam games with a 360 controller.

it was the Tested.com vid that really made me build it, the one they built for jeff. i went for the i7 cos i do quite a lot of video and graphics, but i would of been more than happy with the i5 to be fair

#11 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I went with the brain-dead choice, Antec 300. It's a bit claustrophobic running crossfire but I've been content after getting rid of the stock fans.

#12 Posted by kimvidard (32 posts) -

I don't have pictures, but I have a Cooler Master Silencio case with the following:

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

8,00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

Water cooling H60

and an SSD for the boot drive

the whole thing is connected to my 50 inch TV.

In order to use the pc normally (browsing the web etc...) I keep the desktop in 1280*720, but all the games are set to 1080p with everything on max. I traded the increased resolution a monitor could give for the convenience of the living room.

#13 Edited by Humanity (8705 posts) -

@Bell_End: Thanks, I honestly never knew much about fan brands but those guys from their website seem to make some pretty quiet models which is a must for me as I game only a few hours a day and for the rest of the day rather not sit in a wind tunnel.

ALSO a question for all you TV users: do you experience input lag? Last time I tried hooking up my Samsung LED to my PC I had some awful input lag on the mouse. Not sure if this is a problem for just LEDs. I was able to play console games on it fine but even on "game mode" when hooked up to the PC it wasn't very pleasant.

#14 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Bell_End: Thanks, I honestly never knew much about fan brands but those guys from their website seem to make some pretty quiet models which is a must for me as I game only a few hours a day and for the rest of the day rather not sit in a wind tunnel.

ALSO a question for all you TV users: do you experience input lag? Last time I tried hooking up my Samsung LED to my PC I had some awful input lag on the mouse. Not sure if this is a problem for just LEDs. I was able to play console games on it fine but even on "game mode" when hooked up to the PC it wasn't very pleasant.

never noticed it all. if i had i would of got a monitor instead cos thats the type of thing that would drive me mad.

#15 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

@Humanity said:

I currently have my PC hooked up to my Samsung LEDTV. To get rid of the input lag you have to go into the settings and put it into "Game Mode" (other TVs might call it "PC Mode"). Unfortunately it disables features like motion smoothing and color enhancements, but the input lag disappears completely.

#16 Posted by SmasheControllers (2543 posts) -

What's inside or like setup, ie. triple monitor and ect.

#17 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Humanity said:

My plasma has 0.1ms so nope! Play fighting games on it all the time. I don't even use it in game mode either.

Then again can't say I noticed lag on either of my LCD monitors/TVs in the past.

#18 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

@kimvidard said:

In order to use the pc normally (browsing the web etc...) I keep the desktop in 1280*720, but all the games are set to 1080p with everything on max. I traded the increased resolution a monitor could give for the convenience of the living room.

Have you tried just increasing the text on your screen while having the resolution at 1080p? For Windows 7 you can hit the Windows key and type "dpi". The option to make text and items appear larger should pop up for you to adjust.

#19 Posted by Humanity (8705 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@Humanity said:

I currently have my PC hooked up to my Samsung LEDTV. To get rid of the input lag you have to go into the settings and put it into "Game Mode" (other TVs might call it "PC Mode"). Unfortunately it disables features like motion smoothing and color enhancements, but the input lag disappears completely.

I use that for gaming when I have my 360 hooked up I'll have to check it out for the PC. I've heard mostly new LED's especially Samsung have these issues, something I found out after getting my new TV, which is a bummer since I thought I didn't need to look at response times anymore but alas. Should have went with the Sharp instead - other than that it's a pretty nice TV.

#20 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Andorski said:

@Humanity said:

I use that for gaming when I have my 360 hooked up I'll have to check it out for the PC. I've heard mostly new LED's especially Samsung have these issues, something I found out after getting my new TV, which is a bummer since I thought I didn't need to look at response times anymore but alas. Should have went with the Sharp instead - other than that it's a pretty nice TV.

I think these issues arise because new LEDTVs have all those post processing effects to improve the picture quality (e.g. motion smoothing, creating deeper blacks, etc.). TVs take the slightest bit of time to apply these effects, but it's enough to experience input lag.

#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5468 posts) -

I have a 32'' Samsung LCD TV and and been using it as my primary monitor for years. I also have a 19'' LG LED monitor as a secondary screen. Can't take any good photos so I won't bother.

If your PC setup is in range of a TV, you could set up the HDTV as a secondary monitor. When you want to use it, all you would have to do is use the mirror function and the display from your normal monitor would be displayed on the second screen.

#22 Posted by Positrark (315 posts) -

@Bell_End: Yeah, if you do graphics and video I totally get the appeal of the i7. I also based a lot of the build on Jeffs PC as well as recommendations from other sites (www.bit-tech.net has a great feature on the best pc components for a new rig on different budgets). It was actually a feature on Tested were they came to the conclusion that GPU far outweighs CPU as the bottleneck in games that made me decide that the i5 was enough for my needs. Most of the computer intensive stuff I do is gaming. I perform some CPU intensive math simulations, but those are virtually always single core as it's not worth the effort to design the program to exploit multiple CPU cores.

#23 Posted by TobbRobb (4549 posts) -

Not entirely sure just what you are asking about. So I'll just list the specs and post an old picture if I can find one.

Antec Nine Hundred, Midtower case

AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5Ghz

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Corsair Vengence I think? It's been a while... DDR3 8GB RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB Overclocked

1TB Samsung Spinpoint 7200 rpm, and a Western Digital Green 2TB 7200 rpm. "2TB one is noticably slower." Just for storage anyways.

Corsair something something 620Watt PSU. I've had it for so long now, must be closing up on 7 years. A true champion.

Bunch of 120mm Noctua fans.

Purcahse priorities:

New CPU cooling because my old stuff borked and my baby is running hot.

Another 24inch so I can throw away that crappy 5:4 screen.

Maybe a new larger case, or at least better looking.

Actual priority: Getting a job... T.T

#24 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Andorski said:

@Humanity said:

You don't really have to look at response times, issue seems overblown to me. You don't want to have shit like dynamic contrast on or motion smoothing for gaming anyway, those settings make things worse not better.

#25 Edited by Azteck (7450 posts) -

Kind of a shitty photo but it shows enough. This is my PC setup currently, although it's not as clean right now.

• Case: Fractal Design Define R3
  • Monitor: Samsung BX2450
  • Keyboard: Razer Arctosa
  • Mouse: Steelseries Ikari
  • Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks SW310 (They look kind of ghetto but they produce really great sound for their size)
  • iPad 16gb

As for the computer parts, I'm rocking an

• Intel i5 2500K 3,3GHz (unclocked until I can get better cooling in the chassi)
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570
  • ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Professional REV B3
  • Two Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drives, along with a 750gb Western Digital that I salvaged from an old PC
  • Corsair 850W 80+ Silver modular PSU
  • Corsair XMS3 8gb (Might upgrade soon, as I've started using Photoshop more and more since I bought it)

Behind me is a 42" LG LCD TV, along with a rack for all my CDs, DVDs and games. Not displayed is my Xbox 360, as I put it in my closet a month back.

#26 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Using a Falcon-NW Talon. Here are the specs:

System Details

Chassis
Talon - Standard Black
Power Supply
1000 Watt Modular
Motherboard
P8P67 Deluxe
Processor
2nd Generation Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz
Processor Cooler
Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Memory
16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHZ DDR3
Video Card
GeForce GTX 580 (1.5GB)
Sound Card
X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Networking
On-Board Ethernet
Hard Drive
2TB - 7200RPM - 6Gb/s
Optical Drive
12x Blu-Ray Reader
Media Reader
Internal Media Reader
64-Bit Operating System
Windows 7 Professional

I also have a SSD drive for my operating system.
#27 Posted by believer258 (11554 posts) -

It's just a laptop plugged into a TV. Nothing special, and I wasn't going to post, but I felt I should mention that I don't experience any input lag when playing games on my TV.

#28 Posted by Maginnovision (483 posts) -

I have a monitor, computer, mouse/keyboard, speakers, and an xbox controller.

#29 Edited by Franstone (1080 posts) -

Boom!

Intel Core i7 3820

ASRock X79 Extreme 6

8 GB G. Skill 1600 DDR3 Memory (Quad Channel)

Radeon HD 5870 in Crossfire

Corsair 850W PSU

Crucial 128 GB SSD

Western Digital 750 GB HDD

#30 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Right now my PC setup is a sad, sorry affair. I don't have a real desk at the moment, and am using a fucking drawing table (the kind that swivels!) for a desk. It's got a real rough surface and is obviously unstable. It's also tiny, pretty much wide enough for my keybaord (a small wireless logitech at the moment) and a good sized mousepad, and barely enough room for a 24" monitor and my two speakers.

As for Specs, they aren't much better. 2GB of RAM, the cheap stuff too (not that it matters that much), an old Core 2 Duo running at like 1.9 GHz or something awful like that, and a HD 5770 that is about to crash and literally burn. Thing fucking overheats in a good few of my games after extended play sessions. My case is a shitty Rosewill (Rosewell? The Newegg in house brand) with a built in PSU. The nicest thing I have is my mouse, a Logitech G9x which I am completely in love with, although I'm going to try out the RAT 7 when I get my new build finished.

I just started a new build (first purchase: a new desk!) though, so I'll be able to post something much, much nicer (like three grand nicer by the end of it) in a couple months.

@Humanity said:

Ugly but excellent fans. Why they go with those colors is beyond me, but they are excellent especially for noise levels. My next build is going to eventually have all of it's fans replaced with their stuff, except for one that I believe is too large.

@Andorski said:

@Humanity said:

@Andorski said:

@Humanity said:

I think these issues arise because new LEDTVs have all those post processing effects to improve the picture quality (e.g. motion smoothing, creating deeper blacks, etc.). TVs take the slightest bit of time to apply these effects, but it's enough to experience input lag.

I dunno that I'd say the slightest bit of time, it's pretty long. Sorta like when you have effects on a cheap phone camera/webcam and the framerate goes to shit. But most TV's let you turn it all off and it gets better. At least in my experience.

#31 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

My bedroom and my living room are right next to each other in my apartment, which makes it pretty convenient for my PC setup. In my bedroom, I have the standard PC desk setup, with the case below a desk and a monitor on top of a desk. Nothing special. What's convenient about my setup is that I can wire a long HDMI cable from my PC to the TV on the other side of the wall, into my living room. And my place is small enough that I don't have to worry about wireless signals, so I can use my wireless 360 controller with my PC and TV just as well as I can on the other side of that wall.

#32 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -
@Franstone: LOL. HD-DVD player. 

Here's my current laptop setup.
Moar like cattop, amirite?! 
#33 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

My primary monitor runs off the GfX card, while the second one goes off the integrated. Then I have another cable going to my surround receiver and then to my TV. As a result, I can have all 3 going at once if I want to, just by pressing some hotkeys. It's a bit clunky in some ways, but on the whole it gets the job done. I can pretty easily choose between watching or playing things on the monitor or on the TV.

EDIT: oh, specs:

Radeon 6950

i5 2500k

7 GB of RAM

3 HDDs

Antec Sonata III case with an extra fan in it

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus fan

500W Cooler Master PSU (it's not actually silent, but it's quieter than any of my other components.)

R.A.T. 7 Mouse (paid a lot less than retail for it or I wouldn't have bothered, but it is very nice)

#34 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

8.00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE

120gb SSD and 1TB HDD.

Razer diamond back mouse and razer black widow keyboard.

Bit annoying I've had money to spend on my PC for a while but just don't see anything worth upgrading for me. Every game runs fine and quick, might just buy another SSD for more space.

#35 Posted by markini6 (445 posts) -

Literally just built my first ever PC a few days ago, specs are:

Silverstone PS07B m-ATX case

Intel i5 3570k at stock speeds

Gigabyte windforce 7870

Gigabyte Z77

Vengeance 8GB RAM

Crucial m4 SSD

#36 Posted by Akeldama (4236 posts) -

Asus G73-JH with direct HDMI into my Sharp 40" monitor.

#37 Posted by Maginnovision (483 posts) -

Didn't know this was a pictures thread. Here is where I primarily play pc/ps3/xbox. Sometimes I play in the front room, sometimes I play in the bedroom, but this is the best place to find me.

#38 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I'm saving up money because I'm starting grad school soon, so I've been resisting the overpowering urge to upgrade. I'm pretty far behind:

Core i3 540 @ 3.06

ASRock H55M-LE 1156 board

Geforce GTX 460

4 GB 1066 RAM

500 GB SATA internal + 1TB external HDD

Old, crappy case from Newegg.

The processor's killing me, but I don't have the money for a new one now, plus I'd have to replace the board because the 1156 socket is pretty much deprecated. But it gets me by for the most part.

#39 Posted by superscatman (79 posts) -

My computer is being shipped to me now. I just started a job and decided to splurge. What I have ordered is

2 x asus vs228 21.5" monitors

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W

COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid

2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Crucial 2.5" 128GB SSD

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

TOSHIBA 1TB Internal Hard Drive

Also a basic mouse and keyboard. I'll post pics when I get it.

#40 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

I'm using a different mouse and keyboard to whats up in the top image at the moment (Razer Mamba 4G and a Blackwidow Ultimate instead). The mobo and CPU setup in the main machine (case is a Corsair 800D) is due to be replaced next year with the Haswell launch.

I don't have any pic's of my loungeroom machine handy but that's setup inside a Fractal Design R3 (like Bell_End's). That was recent upgraded to an Ivy Bridge so it will be kicking around for a couple of years.

#41 Posted by harinosho (591 posts) -

@Maginnovision said:

Didn't know this was a pictures thread. Here is where I primarily play pc/ps3/xbox. Sometimes I play in the front room, sometimes I play in the bedroom, but this is the best place to find me.

Been looking for a good cornerdesk design , i think im going to use yours. Thanks for posting the image duder.

#42 Posted by Franstone (1080 posts) -

@Jrinswand: It's a collectors item...

; )

#43 Posted by gaminghooligan (1402 posts) -

atm 2 hdmi hooked up monitors and an hdmi running to my 42" flatscreen. I have an old alienware case I bought on ebay. 6g ddr3, a 1tb hdd, a RADEON HD 5650, and an I5 processor dual core

#44 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

@Humanity: I actually just built mine a couple weeks ago.

i7 3770k, 16 gb RAM, GTX 670 FTW, and a HAF 932 case. Now's the time to do it. These new 670's are amazing.

#45 Posted by Humanity (8705 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: I think we have the same ram! Is yours Corsair vengeance ram?

#46 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

@Humanity: Yeah.

#47 Edited by weegieanawrench (1934 posts) -

8GB RAM

Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (Over clocked to 4.2)

Video Card Description: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

VRAM: 2048 MB

ASUS Blu-ray Drive

Antec 300 Case

Razer Black Widow Keyboard

ASUS P8Z77 Pro Motherboard

Corsair M60 Vengeance Mouse

Currently, I have the PC plugged into my 42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV, but when I start my final year, it will be hooked up to a BenQ 21.5'' LED.

Some pictures (sorry for the garbage ipod touch quality):

Can't be seen from this shot, but I've cut the wires powering the LED's on the top fan.
#48 Posted by Clonedzero (4036 posts) -

its on a desk

#49 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

I just bought Cooler Master's Cosmos II case. It was too wide to fit in the spot between my bed and desk and too tall for under the desk. It's in the closet with USB/audio/video extension cables. I ordered some nice sleeved cable extensions for the interior

#50 Edited by Christoffer (1742 posts) -

@Bell_End: That's exactly my rig, excpet I have an i5 2500k. That case is sweet.