• 101 results
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By penguindust

I'm just a couple of years younger than you, but I still enjoy gaming. I don't play everyday nor do I feel compelled to since I don't define myself solely by my enthusiasm for video games. Conversely, I don't feel any guilt over the time I do spend gaming. This is entertainment and, yes I could be doing something better with my free time, but who am I kidding? If I wasn't gaming, I'd be doing something else equally valueless to society. It doesn't matter though because I've never walked out of movie and wondered if I my time would have been better spent elsewhere. Entertainment is selfish and that's okay. If you don't feel like it anymore that's perfectly fine, too. People change overtime. It doesn't have anything to do with growing up, because there is no correct path appropriate for everyone equally. It's preposterous to believe that you reach a certain age and specific forms of entertainment are no longer available to you. If you want to play games, then game on. If you'd rather go play a round of golf, then go do that. If you want to grind some rails on your son's skateboard, well...don't break a hip.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By supamon

Games are like books, movies or music. There's all sorts of types, genre and platforms to game on. You don't hear people say I'm too old to watch movies or listen to music. So why should anyone be too old to play games? Not counting physical ability and responsibility towards family and work, I'll game till I'm sick of it or I can't hold a controller anymore.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By dillonwerner

@Castiel said:

@Rappelsiini said:

@Hailinel
@Mordukai

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
@Clandestine1966: I get that feeling (I'm 30) that I can be doing anything more productive than playing games; writing, recording music, exercising, etc. I think playing games can still be done in moderation though. 

I typically just spend one night out of my week (Fridays) and play games all night while my wife goes out with friends and such. The rest of the week, I devote to other things. It's nice to have just one day a week to relax and have a little fun.  
rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By rentfn

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By eugenesaxe

Gaming is good for aging, it keeps the mind active. If you do the motion control thing, it's great exercise for those who really have a hard time getting around.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Getz

When you physically cannot manipulate the control method, which in 50 years will be impossible because everything will be in YO MIND.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Never, if you still it enjoy it when you're older then carry on.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ketchupp

It's the same age as being too old to read books or watch movies.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By iam3green

there is never an old age to stop playing video games. i plan on playing video games until i die. yep, your going to be hearing me yell damn kids.

i sometimes think that adults are more immature online than a few other kids are- black ops heard a guy yell to a kid shut the fuck up , i am old enough to be your father. got me thinking some people are more immature than kids.

gangsterpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By gangsterpanda

I'm close to crossing into the 30's, and I've noticed that my gaming habits have changed a lot in the last couple of years.

Gaming isn't a big priority anymore, and I'm a lot more selective about which games I actually care to spend time with. There are maybe two or something games each year which I actually do bother playing through, but I still really enjoy it once I play.

I don't think you'll grow out of gaming, but it becomes just one of several things to fill your free time with.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#62  Edited By Bigheart711

There really isn't an age limit. Simple as that.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By PixelPrinny

I think it's all a matter of current priorities. If you have a job and a family that keeps you busy, chances are those will be more important than sitting down and playing a video game. That's not to say there aren't people out there who feel all three of those things are priorities, but I think people losing interest in completing games as other things take up more of their time is fairly common. To give an example, my father was into gaming as a young adult, having bought an Atari, Commodore 64, and Intellivision (all of which I got to play at an incredibly early age), but as I and my brother grew, games fell off of his radar as he was busy with work and raising us (he'd often show an interest in watching us play, but never cared to play himself no matter how much we asked). But now that we're both adults ourselves, and he's retired, he's gotten back into gaming quite heavily, playing nearly every RPG I throw at him like Dragon Age, Skyrim, Fable 3, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XIII, etc.

Hell, even my mother, also now in her 60s, has begun taking an interest in casual games like Bejeweled, Peggle, etc. and she was never really interested in gaming in the past at all.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By betterboulder

As long as you can hold the controller, you can play games

MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MonkeyGekko

You're too old to play video games, when you are dead.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ryoma122

you only become to old when you can no longer buy them but with the ability to buy things online this is no longer a problem

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Clandestine1966: At 36 I've been going through the worst slump I can recall to date.

I mean I've gone through longer periods of playing less games when I had other things I've wanted to do, but I've never gone through such a long period where I want to play a game but can't get myself interested anything. It's been months of popping things in and out trying to find something to dig it's claws into me. Skyrim came close, I spent a number of nights playing it for hours on end but considering what that game should've done to me I can barely count it. Everything else (and the list is long) has been in and out.

I currently attribute it to how close my three year old's bedroom is to my gaming area, I'm nervous about him lying in bed listening to hours of Dead Space 2 dismemberment shreeks - and headphones mean I can't hear if he gets up behind me to watch. Either it's too violent, too vulgar, or it looks too fun and he gets upset that dad's having fun while he has to go to boring bed. I'm telling myself that the passion will come back when I finish the basement (hopefully by the end of summer...ish) and move my gaming area to the opposite end of the house, but there is still part of me that wonders if this really is the full extent of the problem.

On the brightside, Assassin's Creed Revelations has had me by the sack for the last week or so. Not enough for me to declare victory, and it might be just because it's such a quiet, subdued game, but it's something.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Franstone

When you die...

klimdeeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By klimdeeni

Do you get that same "I should be doing something more important" feeling when you're watching TV or a movie, or anything entertaining for that matter? it's all under the same lines of "stuff you do when you could be doing more important things" Maybe it's more of a loss of interest in playing more than feeling like you're wasting your time. I play games in lieu of watching TV or movies or other entertaining things, and still put in my 40+ hours at work and take care of my house work and other duties. I feel like I'll always look at gaming in that capacity. My great grandfather listened to the radio, my grandfather watches tv, my dad is streaming through netflix, and I'll be playing video games until well after I'm retired. It's just another formo f entertainment. If you're pulling away from it, then that's fine. Gravitate towards whatever entertainment floats your boat.

Nerolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By Nerolus

When you're dead.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Phatmac

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Grixxel

When some sort of medical condition prevents me from holding the controller or see/hear what's going on.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided

I cite the original as I do not wish to bury it into obscurity.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By pekoe212

You're never too old. But how you prioritize games in your life will change depending on your job, family, etc. If I have the free time I don't feel ashamed about playing games all day, because it's something I love to do. I remember times during college when I was so swamped with work, I didn't have the time or the mental focus I needed to sit down with a game, and I might not play games for a month, because I couldn't split my energies that way. I'd read instead. Then I'd pick back up when there was less required of me every day.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By evilrazer

I can not say anything about the age, but I can certainly admit that sometimes I just don't have enough time to play even if I really want to.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By Milkman

When you feel too old to play games. 

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't matter what age you are. Plenty of time to not be playing games when you're dead.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By moncole

On your death bed

TheStimpinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TheStimpinator

When are you too old for music or movies? Never ever...I pledge to be the 80 year old with the state of the art home theater and game setup. My grandchildren will love me.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Around 13.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By boylie

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided

Came here to post this. I see I was beaten to the punch, by a LONG shot. As you were, gents.

carl_kruse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By carl_kruse
carl_kruse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like many of the replies in this thread - "never," "1 day after I die," and "when are you too old to do something you like?" Keep doing what makes you smile.

beyblades99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after high school

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Never my Dad is 57 years old and still plays the new COD every year and will play any old sports game

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

50 something here.

I hate bowling and golfing. I have to do something in my spare time.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember seeing a guy who recorded his grandma and she was kicking ass on Resistance.

When I saw her I realised that I'm never getting over gaming.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 sweep  Moderator

I entered this thread to inadvertently post the exact same thing I posted 9 years ago.

What a weird necro.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that this has come back to life.

Never.

hassan918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In these days there are games for every age, so in my opinion you are never too old to play games :)

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 sweep  Moderator

Actually one of my biggest fears is that i'm going to get arthritis in my hands and fingers when I'm older. I just hope that publishers/developers continue to really push and explore their accessibility options for people who are unable to use traditional controllers.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

No such thing as "too old." It's simply a matter of whenever you stop enjoying it as much as something else you'd rather spend your time doing. If you feel that video games are the most enjoyable way to spend your time, you're good. Obviously obligations may get in the way but then it's a matter of the comparisons being relative to your free time.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a "how old" but just a general "when", and that when is: When you're dating someone who doesn't want you to have fun.

Conalikont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A familiar story! I had a similar state, but I decided that I can sometimes afford to play without looking at other things

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clandestine1966 Just dropping by to say, i don't think there is ever a cut off age but i do often find myself in the same problem. I've just learnt to respect my free time, if thats doing Assassins Creed for just an hour and not touching it for 2 months thats fine. Personally i work as a software engineer so always get that "I should be doing freelance" vibe whenever i boot up a game, now i've learnt to be like. Nah chill but i guess its what suits you!

Also that rework of the GB podcast theme is awesome stuff, very west coooooooooast 90's vibes!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

Actually one of my biggest fears is that i'm going to get arthritis in my hands and fingers when I'm older. I just hope that publishers/developers continue to really push and explore their accessibility options for people who are unable to use traditional controllers.

This is a video from an older lady who has a hand condition (not just arthritis) and she explains how it limits her.

Loading Video...

The truth is that none of us are going to be great at twitchy games as we get older not just because of potential hand pain but because of slowed reflexes and eyesight etc... It will eventually limit some of the games we can play (and it's one of the reasons that the "git gud" mantra is so frustrating; it's incredibly ableist.) But unless you really become seriously disabled there will always be a large number of games you can play, especially if you enjoy turn based games.

This woman doesn't only play RPGs, but they are by far her favorite genre and so her condition doesn't limit her that much even though it does reduce the flexibility of her hands.

I do think that developers need to get better at accessibility. The new Ghost and Goblins is a terrible example. If you play on the easiest difficulty you can't see the whole game. Funk that noise. It's a garbage design decision. It's fine to have special rewards for completing the game at the highest difficulty (though really I think that if you need to reward people to play your game at a high difficulty then it's not as inherently enjoyable as it should be) but to gate off a big chunk of the game just sucks. People with disabilities are paying customers too!

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When real life is more exciting than escapism

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're too old when you're dead inside and out.
And even then you could get necroed so I guess never.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My grandpa is 80 and still plays WoW and SWTOR.

He used to play stuff like Zelda and other adventure games but they got to be too complex. So I don't think it's that you get too old for games, you just change the types of games you play.

Like you said you have a problem playing games through, heck I'm 30 and I already have a hard time with that haha, but just finding shorter or not story oriented games you enjoy could be a good direction.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go through periods where I don't play games for a bit and do something else but at 30 (still fairly young) I still look forward to playing games I'm interested in and play to completion long AAA stuff. I don't plan on having kids so maybe I'll always have pockets of time to enjoy that stuff, maybe not.