When did Patrick start becoming so pretentious about games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deadmeat

Did I not notice this before? It just seems if it's not a weird game from Japan or doing something different its "stupid and dumb". I kinda cringe when he talks on the bombcast or quicklooks now...

Is this a new thing or has he always been things way? I admit I don't read his stuff since well... they are always about something like kickstarter or molyjamwhich I could care less about.

Just when I got used to ignoring Ryan's "I know everything" statements...

Brad + Jeff + Vinny + Whitta would be the best bombcast group.

MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrBoBo

I agree. Most of Japans design is very dated and outright stupid compared to the west.

Alot of people claim it's way behind.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By killacam

this thread is wacky

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

Yeah he's started to get on my nerves lately on the bombcast. I think it's mainly because he has a comment about any and everything they discuss, even if he hasn't played it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Sterling

Does his opinion on games affect your enjoyment of them?

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deadmeat said:

Did I not notice this before? It just seems if it's not a weird game from Japan or doing something different its "stupid and dumb". I kinda cringe when he talks on the bombcast or quicklooks now...

Is this a new thing or has he always been things way? I admit I don't read his stuff since well... they are always about something like kickstarter or molyjamwhich I could care less about.

Thanks for invalidating your own opinion so I didnt have to.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TehJedicake

When people started whining about every single thing he says and does.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Karl_Boss

Its couldn't care less not could care less

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It reinforces the point that most games are dumb when somebody with just a slightly different viewpoint ( and it is slight ) is classed as pretentious.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stonyman65

@oulzac said:

No, but it affects my opinion and enjoyment of the Bombcast, and Giant Bomb as a whole...

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brother_PipPop

@Skytylz said:

he has a comment about any and everything they discuss, even if he hasn't played it.

Oh you mean like he talks on a podcast?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

I believe that Patrick is the resident "obscure games coming out" expert that none of the others are. If that's his job, then pretension might be one of the prerequisites.

I always thought he looked like a bit of a hipster.

Anyway, Patrick has never and still doesn't get on my nerves. I don't really see any truth in what you're talking about, and I never quite got why a lot of people disliked him so much.

While on the subject of Patrick, I've got a side question: How old is he? I thought he was the youngest on the GB crew by a number of years - like in his 20's - but he was talking about being at E3 several times over the past decade, if memory serves.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TehJedicake

@Stonyman65 said:

@oulzac said:

No, but it affects my opinion and enjoyment of the Bombcast, and Giant Bomb as a whole...

That sucks.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pweidman

Patrick is just fine and a good addition to the crew. His descriptions on the BC lately, of playing Witcher 2 on 360 were spot on. I don't hear any pretense at all when he comments on games. I don't think that's his style at all.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
@believer258

I believe that Patrick is the resident "obscure games coming out" expert that none of the others are. If that's his job, then pretension might be one of the prerequisites.

Anyway, Patrick has never and still doesn't get on my nerves. I don't really see any truth in what you're talking about, and I never quite got why a lot of people disliked him so much.

While on the subject of Patrick, I've got a side question: How old is he? I thought he was the youngest on the GB crew by a number of years - like in his 20's - but he was talking about being at E3 several times over the past decade, if memory serves.

I believe he mention that he's around 27 or 28. Can't remember which.
JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JaredA

Patrick Klepek fucking rules

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skytylz

@Brother_PipPop said:

@Skytylz said:

he has a comment about any and everything they discuss, even if he hasn't played it.

Oh you mean like he talks on a podcast?

Yeah I know right? Fuck him.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By GS_Dan

Not sure about the anti-Patrick sentiments here, but I am fully in favour of getting Gazza Whitta on the bombcast more often.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By samfo

I like Patrick's views.

Gamers are generally very introverted and don't like things that are different.

Patrick brings different things to the table.

Hooray for Patrick!

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By freewilly5

Patrick's awesome, you all suck.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
@Oscar__Explosion
@believer258

I believe he mention that he's around 27 or 28. Can't remember which.
Or you know I could have just checked his wiki page
http://www.giantbomb.com/patrick-klepek/72-100074/

Born Feb. 7 1985 (so 27)
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

*puts on hipster-ass glasses (you know the type)* Anti-intellectualist.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eskimo

He should get a job with Epic and start calling himself Paddy K

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By forkboy

@SamFo said:

I like Patrick's views.

Gamers are generally very introverted and don't like things that are different.

Patrick brings different things to the table.

Hooray for Patrick!

Well put

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Toxeia

When did people get all pretentious about things other people say on the internet?

I guess this has been around since Patrick joined up, some kind of weird xenophobia directed to journalists that you aren't used to... but seriously? I don't know why there have to be threads about "Yo, that Patrick guy said stuff I don't like so I never read none of it."

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Neferon

Never?

I thought we listen to the Bombcast to hear opinions and thoughts about games. Why complain about them?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Sackmanjones

I think all of them tend to have different viewpoints and balance each other out great. Once in awhile I think they go overboard but most of the time they do an excellent job

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WMWA

Really? If anything Patrick is the most open minded about games in the group. Kinda odd I don't see it that way. Either way, why make a thread about this? "hurr durr Gary Whitta should replace Patrick, hurr durr" You just come off like a prick

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By nickux

I like Patrick and his writing but I did recently reach out to him regarding some of his cynicism and the overall tone of coverage as of late. It is by no means an attack on him personally but I will say, as a listener and reader, his dismissive tone regarding some games has been kind of a let-down. For example, when they discussed God of War's multiplayer mode he just said "Dumb" a bunch of times. Having not played the mode, I don't think I'd be so quick to judge it and as harshly. However! I really hate the idea of people just attacking him for any reason. I do, however, think it's totally valid to discuss a valid concern regarding the overall tone of writing on the site if you do it respectfully.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Toxeia said:

When did people get all pretentious about things other people say on the internet?

I guess this has been around since Patrick joined up, some kind of weird xenophobia directed to journalists that you aren't used to... but seriously? I don't know there have to be threads about "Yo, that Patrick guy said stuff I don't like so I never read none of it."

I think it was around the time that journalists started throwing around the word "pretentious" for everything and anything they didn't like. Regular users across the internet jumped on the bandwagon shortly after and the term quickly lost all sense of meaning, as displayed by this very topic.

And yeah, people fear change or something. These "I don't like/agree with Patrick so I'm going to start a thread about it because my opinion is important" threads are really tiresome.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Barrock

Patrick's boss. Deal with it.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By DarkShaper

All five of the guys on the bombcast are fairly opinionated. It's just the stuff that Patrick feels strongly about tends to be different than the others. He is not more pretentious you just agree with him less.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JauntyHat

Patrick isn't originally a part of Giantbomb so I won't listen to anything he says or writes. He's too young compared to the rest of the bombcast; I think one of the biggest prerequisites for joining Giantbomb should be you're over 30. His voice is grating and I don't like his hair, get a decent haircut hippy! Why does he like games I don't? He makes Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and even Vinny look redicuously fat when he stands next to them; if he's going to be in any more videos of the site I'd like him to be in his own shot or a considerable distance away from the rest of the TRUE cast.

Oh wait it's this thread again. <3 ya Patrick.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34  Edited By JasonR86

@ Deadmeat said:

He enjoyed Skyrim, Skyward Sword (granted, from Japan but it isn't weird), Rayman Origins was one of his favorite games of last year. In fact...

Only three of his top 10 games of last year were Japanese. Only two of those were kinda weird. So I guess what I'm saying is is that you're objectively wrong. Subjectively, you sound like a dick.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Deadmeat said:

I could really go for a Molyjamwhich

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#36  Edited By donutfever

Yeah, he just loves all games from Japan. And hates everything made in the west.  

That's our Patrick.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By supermonkey122

@freewilly5 said:

Patrick's awesome, you all suck.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Care, I don't.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shady

If anything, his lack of an identity is what annoys me. He's just kind of there.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By nightriff

This is actually the only thing I like about Patrick. When he talks about a game he likes or is recommending I'm fascinated. He is very passionate about the games he likes and has convinced me to try some of the ones he has recommended (Darksiders and Witcher 2). The only time I don't like Patrick is when he is trying to be funny because he just isn't. The 10 people taking a shit joke was so lame and pointless, I don't get why the crew thinks he is so funny.

kzebski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By kzebski

It has gotten to the point where I can readily identify the Patrick Klepek articles without actually checking.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mordukai

My only issue with him is that he likes cutting in on people before they are finished.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jrinswand
@mordukai said:

My only issue with him is that he likes cutting in on people before they are finished.

This. He interrupts people a lot, but I think it's usually just out of his enthusiasm. Either way, rude is rude.

I don't have a problem with Patrick. I think he's a swell guy.
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By DarthOrange

They all get on my nerves. Especially that Vinny.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shaunk

Patrick doing his job by talking on a podcast? Doing the same exact thing 4 other dudes do with him every week? Yeah lock him the fuck up!

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1111f1060
deactivated-629f1111f1060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Patrick.

Is.

Just.

Fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Patrick has similar tastes to mine, but that makes it worse because when he talks up games that I dislike and brushes off games I'm for it bends the mind. Ryan is about as different a video game player as I am, so when he's for or against certain games it's easy to brush off.

Though yes, Brad and Patrick are super queer for anything that even appears artistic.

I feel like the main thing that sticks in my craw with them all is they pre-judge a game based on what their peers are saying or an event or public opinion, and it completely colors their experience. Maybe you can chalk it up to them having experience and being able to figure out from 30 seconds of gameplay whether or not they'll like it, but it's really irritating. 90% of the time you can pretty much take the tone of their comments 3 months before the game and it'll line up with the comments a week after release.

Tolshakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tolshakk

@mordukai said:

I'mma let you finish, but it's time to get Tricky

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gamefreak9

I like Patrick alot. to be honest I only read his articles nowadays, its more my taste, the shareholder meeting and the kickstarter stuff is the video game news that I want. Though he isn't as funny as the rest of the crew :(.

smellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By smellum

I would argue that Brad is more pretentious than Patrick.

But he's still the fucking man.