#1 Posted by ep_driver (453 posts) -

So I grew up on the NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. During junior high and high school I kind of forgot about gaming, only playing casually with my friends from time to time. This morning I was thinking about what pulled me back into gaming and refreshed a horrible, unhealthy, yet amazing addiction. For me, it was watching Halo 3 preview footage. I still remember sitting in my apartment in San Diego, neglecting the beach I was less than a mile from on a sunny day, watching Halo 3 videos over and over. I had been playing Halo 2 with my roommates and was digging gaming again, but it was this exact moment that I was immediately pulled back into my obsession. 

So, for those of you who also may have strayed from videogames for a bit, what brought you back in? Can anyone recall the moment as precisely as I can mine? I'd love to hear your stories! 

PS:Funny thing is, I don't even like Halo anymore, lol, but my addiction to gaming is as strong as ever.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

That doesn't apply to me, since me and gaming never split up. It would make no sense for me to do that.

#3 Posted by Magiczipper82 (91 posts) -

the fall of 2009 i stopped playing games for months on end. got completely bored with it. and then I found Modern Warfare 2. I know it makes me sound like  COD fanboy, but it really got me back into gaming. I can't stand black ops now, but still play it when a buddy comes over or something. But MW2 definitely got me back into the gaming scene

#4 Posted by BigLemon (1022 posts) -

The exact day was July 21, 2008. If you do not know why, shame on you.

#5 Posted by Magiczipper82 (91 posts) -
@BigLemon said:
" The exact day was July 21, 2008. If you do not know why, shame on you. "
I have to ask why. I'm sorry. I am ashamed.
#6 Edited by Kyreo (4602 posts) -
@BigLemon said:

wait don't tell me.  Don't tell me.  uh... shit.  Tell me.  I don't wanna cheat and google it. 

Also, I have loved gaming since Pokemon Red.  I have NEVER not loved video games since then.
#7 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
I used to game like mad when i was a kid, playing Doom 1 & 2, GTA 2, Commander Keen, Max Payne, Call of Duty 1, Midtown Madness, FIFA World Cup 98 and Need for Speed 2 
 then around 2003-2006 i only played like Vice City/San Andreas and NFS Underground, until i bought a gaming PC in 2007 and thats what turned me into a hardcore gamer..

October 7th 2007 was the day i got soaked in games and havent stopped gaming since 

@BigLemon said:
good one
#8 Posted by csl316 (9437 posts) -

When I started college in fall of 2004 I just stopped playing.  I had no time, you see.  Over the summer I picked up Metal Gear Solid 3, was completely blown away, and made sure to always make time for video games in the future.  Even if sleep gets compromised a bit.

#9 Posted by BigLemon (1022 posts) -
@Magiczipper82: @Kyreo: It was the day this very site had it's full launch!
#10 Posted by Magiczipper82 (91 posts) -
@BigLemon said:
" @Magiczipper82: @Kyreo: It was the day this very site had it's full launch! "
Well don't I just feel like a dumbass now! I should have known that!
#11 Posted by Kyreo (4602 posts) -
@BigLemon said:
" @Magiczipper82: @Kyreo: It was the day this very site had it's full launch! "
oh... I wasn't here for that.  I've only been here for about a year and a half...
#12 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" That doesn't apply to me, since me and gaming never split up. It would make no sense for me to do that. "
Same here. I started playing games from a very early age and never really stopped.
#13 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i guess around 07ish when i quit wow. i was only thinking about wow until like a week when i started playing xbox 360 again.

#14 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

When it gave me a BJ in the back room.  

LOVE! Exciting and new....La La La LALALA!

#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5403 posts) -

I moved and knew nobody so dove into the PS2.

#16 Posted by Magiczipper82 (91 posts) -
@Mordukai: this
#17 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Still waiting.

#18 Posted by mikeeegeee (1575 posts) -

Immediately after I quit WoW.

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I never fell out of love with gaming.

#20 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

two years ago when I got a PS2.

#21 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I completely stopped gaming while I was in college, and even for a little after that, but when my ex passed away a few years ago I got back in and right now I think it's on for life... even if I only get to play a couple of hours a day.

#22 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

August '07. I had a lot more time to play games once I went to college, since then Its been pretty non stop.

#23 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@ep_driver: About the time SF4 hit. Since then my Steam account has expanded exponentially, and I have a pretty big PS3 collection.
#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I guess around 2005, when the 360 came out, and the Xbox released stopped, I kinda stopped playing games completely. Was distracted by jr. high school and stuff.  
Then in late 2007 I got a 360, and I started playing a lot of games, and I eventually collected the other consoles. It's kinda been rocky recently, I've been busy with my job, and with my portfolio creation.

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12628 posts) -

I never really fell out of love but through the better part of the 90's it wasn't as consuming a hobby of mine as comics, paper & pencil/table top gaming or anime.  Then in the late 90's (1997 maybe?) I bought a decent PC and started playing the hot PC titles of the time.  It was online games of Quake II & III, Unreal Tournament, Tribes and others that sucked me in fully.   These days I barely enter the online arena, so my habits have changed since then but I still have a strong love for the hobby.