assuming you use them of course

Thanatos465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Thanatos465

I use to play the players guides for Nintendo 64 games just for the pictures, I think I only used a walkthough for the first boss of PoP;The Sands of time

Shadowsun9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Shadowsun9

I got Advance wars Dark Conflict (or Days of Ruin depending on where you live), on the day it came out. I played it tons but then got stuck. A load of other games came out and I forgot it, but after those, I went back to it. I was so stuck that I broke down and read a walkthrough. It wasn't very helpful, but it gave me the general idea of what to do.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Metasin

When the game goes from being challenging to just plain frustrating, assuming it has hooked me enough already that I even care to go farther at that point.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DeadlyPain

when i have completed the game at least once, i then use the walkthrough/cheats to find stuff that i missed and didn't do the first time around etc.

DiscoLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DiscoLights

When i think i want a game, i read everything about it [walkthroughs mainly] before buying.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By atejas

When I'm going for a completionist spree or when I'm stuck.

Supertramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Supertramp
DeadlyPain said:
"when i have completed the game at least once, i then use the walkthrough/cheats to find stuff that i missed and didn't do the first time around etc."
Exactly what he said. I have got to go through a game completely without using a guide, ya know, figure it out myself. Then once I've completed that game, I may use a guide to find all the hidden shit, like in COD4 the intel & such. Or in GTA4, all the jumps & flying rats & what not. And cheats, ONLY after I've beaten it will I use cheats.
Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blu_Magic

When I'm stuck.

Shadowsun9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shadowsun9

Yeah, when I used to play the pokemon games, i would complete it at least once, then cheat and do it again with infinite level-up rare candies and master balls!

Never cheat on the first time!

HomoPocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HomoPocket

If I'm stuck and remain completely stumped at a certain part in a game then I'll go seek out a walkthrough..

However, in the case of the Resident Evil games, I always print out walkthroughs or have one on screen before I even get the games. I just don't mess around when it comes to Resident Evil games because I know I'm going to get stuck on some stupid puzzle at some point.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

To me, games like Grand Theft Auto were meant to be played with cheats, so in that case you'll find me nose-deep in a walkthrough or a cheat FAQ. 

In terms of being stuck, I'm really stubborn about abstaining from guides.  That results in a general increase in overall frustration and stress, but I feel much more relieved about conquering the challenge after the fact. 

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By WickedCobra03

Yeah, either when I am going on a completist spree or if its too the point where I have just been wandering for like an hour with no idea on what to do! 

I don't just buy them with the game, or grab a FAQ or Guide while I sit down with the game, but where there are some puzzles or something I missed earlier, it is nice to just have a little bump in the right direction instead of just getting frustrated, then bored and then finally throwing the game on the shelf!

Hexproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexproof

When I'm completely stuck on some part. :3

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By hazelnutman

When the game makes me want to kick a dog.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By elbow

From the very start, but this is because I generally don't play a game more than once unless it's something totally amazing that beckons more than one playthrough. I try to get everything on my first go, and while at times that can be somewhat difficult, I generally don't mind it. However, when it comes to an RPG I live by those for things such as, what stats to increase, where do I find this specialy guy who unlocks this special side quest.

I generally have no problems using them, for the most part I tend to go on ahead, then consult the strategy guide for what I should look for.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By danielkempster
DeadlyPain said:
"when i have completed the game at least once, i then use the walkthrough/cheats to find stuff that i missed and didn't do the first time around etc."
Same here, although I'm majorly against cheats, I break out the walkthrough on second playthroughs.

As a side note, I actually collect official strategy guides for my favourite games. I think they're fantastic when they're related to games you hold dear, really informative and usually filled with great official artwork.
GP1Mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GP1Mil

I use a walkthrough or hints when the game gets to the point of frustration and I have died like a hundred times trying before I go insane and kill someone, that is the time I use them which is once in a blue moon.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HazBazz
DiscoLights said:
"When i think i want a game, i read everything about it [walkthroughs mainly] before buying."
You read a walkthough of a game before buying it? Doesnt that kind of spoil the challenge and surprises of the game?
WhySoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WhySoSerious

Usually when I'm about to break the game is when I break out the walkthroughs.

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By solidphoenix
WhySoSerious said:
"Usually when I'm about to break the game is when I break out the walkthroughs."
Yeah me too.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By samcotts

When I've lost all motivation to play the game, and want to complete it as quick as I can, or only interested in the story. Though I would never use cheats.

I do occasionally use a walkthrough from the get go, sometimes I feel the experience is improved by doing so.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By irishjohn

I got out an FAQ for Braid, and it was the first time in ages.  I generally just use walkthroughs to ruin adventure games for myself...  not so common anymore!

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap

When a game turns retarded on me... a.k.a Dead Rising

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Oni

If I'm really genuinely stuck or a game gets too frustrating for me to play without. Case in point is Lost Odyssey, I'm playing through that and I love it, but the dungeons in it (like in most JRPGs) suck the big one. So I bought a walkthrough when I was in the dungeon at the end of disc 2, and have basically been using it by my side ever since. I just hate not being able to explore a dungeon for treasure and things leisurely and getting sucked into random encounters every few steps, it makes solving puzzles and things annoying as hell. I am actually enjoying the game way more with the walkthrough, so, whatever you gotta do, y'know?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#27  Edited By tearhead

I only use it for RPGs cus I hate to miss stuff, like a powerful weapon, rare item, secret boss etc. so I use walkthroughs for that. I hate when I beat a game to find out I missed something, and I don't want to play through 20+ hours just to get it.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Demilich
Blu_Magic said:
"When I'm stuck."
Avatar image for bread_or_decide
bread_or_decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bread_or_decide

If I'm going for  a specific ending on my first time through I'll be sure to read up on how to get that ending. Like Dead Rising for example. But I don't ruin the story or key plot points.  I usually don't want to play through the game twice so I try and get it the first time through.

Now I only break out a FAQ when I'm stuck and being stuck is getting in the way of my enjoying the game. Most of the time figuring it out for myself is a rewarding experience and I try to stick it out for as long as I can. For example I'm stuck on two puzzle pieces in world 6 of Braid. I'd rather figure it out because it'll be more satisfying that way. God of War II has many moments where I'm tempted to look up a FAQ but I'd rather use my brain..sure its a little frustrating but worthwhile in the end. Not a bad thing to actually USE your brain when playing a game.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Otacon

Well its kind if tradition for me to buy a guide and use it now and again for FF games, apart from that I rarely use them.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DualReaver

When the game stops being fun and starts pissing me off.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tanuki

When I played Wild Arms 2.  That game has some problems.

Avatar image for jollywhitegiant
jollywhitegiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By jollywhitegiant

When I have to collect a ton of stuff scattered throughout the game world. Most notably the hidden packages in GTA or smashing all of the gates in Burnout: Paradise.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By mathewballard

When I've spent an hour trying to get past just one small part of a game and can't seem to find the way to do so. Then I pop online for the Walk Through.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Illmatic

I almost always end up using one for RPG's. I don't find it fun to die at a boss once just to figure out its weakness only to have a checkpoint/save point hours before said boss. I'd rather know the weakness now thank you.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clarke0

I have to be stuck in one place for about an hour before I look it up online. Puzzles and bosses are really easy to figure out in most games so I rarely have to look at a walkthrough.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By OGCartman

When im bored, playing with some friends, especialy in games like GTA

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dalai

Like everybody else here, I use them when I'm really, truly stuck or going for 100% in a game.