#1 Posted by RedRoach (1158 posts) -

We all know the industry is over saturated with shooters, and more specifically, modern military shooters. It seems like we'll never get passed this fad with them, but I realized it was only 5 years ago when we considered a modern shooter to be new and fresh and interesting. Up until that point we had been drowning in WW2 games. When do you think, if ever, are we going to move passed this the way we moved past WW2? I'm hoping the next generation will spark some creativity among shooter dev's.

#2 Edited by ColinWright (741 posts) -

When Respawn does something new that everyone has to copy again. Here's to hoping!

#3 Posted by Danteveli (1083 posts) -

Now we are going to Close Future with many games so I think it will be the standard for next gen.

#4 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

Soon...i hope. With AC3 coming up i hope that a little more games will be set in the musket era. Musket FPS game, who's with me?

#5 Posted by CornBREDX (4457 posts) -

Never (I'm only slightly being facetious). Ultimately it's the people who don't peruse video game websites that make the majority of the sales of these kinds of games. The industry seems to be heading (again) into this direction that indicates they feel the player wants to play less and watch more. It's really weird. It's almost like FMV games again if you really think about it.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

Honestly, I don't really agree that we are saturated by modern military shooters; there's a handful of very popular modern military shooters, but in the scheme of things, it's hardly a saturation. If anything, I would say there's a greater saturation of medieval fantasy RPGs...

#7 Posted by Kierkegaard (556 posts) -

Soon, I hope. I don't like how these games depict modern war and I don't think they could do it any better and remain un-scarring. The future and the past are so much less freaky.

#8 Posted by Giantstalker (1445 posts) -

There will always be contemporary shooters; furthermore, they've been around and fairly popular for quite some time prior to MW1. It's not some passing fad, it's been a cornerstone of the FPS genre for a long time now. I'm not sure how these games have become the communal scapegoat for so many people on the internet, but each passing day just shows how ridiculous and misplaced this attitude is towards modern shooters.

Personally, I hope they never stop making them. They may not always be called Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or Battlefield, but they'll always be there and I'll likely always be buying them. For a lot of people, this is their kind of game, and nothing short of a better modern-day shooter will suffice.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

When Timesplitters 4 comes out.

#10 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@ColinWright said:

When Respawn does something new that everyone has to copy again. Here's to hoping!

Why are you hoping the industry copies another recipe again? Don't we all hope there is no clear winning franchise so we're all forced to be creative again?

#11 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

I won't ever get tired of modern military shooters provided they're done well. I have become bored of Call of Duty's gameplay, though. Still love Battlefield gameplay, still love ArmA gameplay, still love Rainbow Six 3 gameplay just to name a few.

#12 Posted by Draugen (574 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

There will always be contemporary shooters; furthermore, they've been around and fairly popular for quite some time prior to MW1. It's not some passing fad, it's been a cornerstone of the FPS genre for a long time now. I'm not sure how these games have become the communal scapegoat for so many people on the internet, but each passing day just shows how ridiculous and misplaced this attitude is towards modern shooters.

Personally, I hope they never stop making them. They may not always be called Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or Battlefield, but they'll always be there and I'll likely always be buying them. For a lot of people, this is their kind of game, and nothing short of a better modern-day shooter will suffice.

I've never said this to someone who identifies himself as a wermacht soldier in a gasmask, but I applaud your sentiment, sir. :)

#13 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

The answer to this thread:

We will get over the modern shooter when people stop buying modern shooters.

#14 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

When World War 3 happens.

#15 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1271 posts) -

Last time I checked, there are plenty of other types of games out there. If you don't like modern military shooters, just ignore them. Are we asking when the fad of annual sports games will pass? Let the "bros" buy Call of Duty and Madden every year and just play what you want. I'm no fan of COD and the like either, but I don't understand all the hatred, sure it's popular, but the popularity of FPS games doesn't stop role playing games, strategy games, puzzle games, etc. from being made.

#16 Posted by Taku128 (727 posts) -

Never. Japanese RPGs are as creatively bankrupt as American FPSs are, and yet they've stayed popular over there for decades now. The FPS won't die any time soon either.

#17 Posted by YukoAsho (1948 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

Personally, I don't get the hatred either. I don't play multiplayer, don't buy DLC, and have had a fucking blast with the shooters of this generation, be they modern, WWII, or sci-fi (only fantasy FPS I can think of was Hexen/Heretic, and that was kinda meh). Personally, so long as they can keep the action engaging and fun, I'll keep on buying them. The FPS in general, and the modern military-themed FPS in particular, have been made into a scapegoat by a large, short-sighted segment internet community incapable of anything beyond ignorant hate and hipsterism, but I say it's their loss. Me, I love a good FPS, just like I like a good RPG or a good action-adventure game, and I hope that one day the "hardcore" crowd learns to stop trying to label us as some inferior subset of gaming.

#18 Edited by ColinWright (741 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver: At least it would be different for all of a year. We all know everyone trying to be creative at the same time can't happen in this industry. Too many men in suits.
#19 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

When they're done with zombies.

#20 Posted by AxleBro (786 posts) -

never, because it's the easiest idea. close second is zombies.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

When the next new fad comes along, of course. That's how the industry works.

#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

I think they'll always be there but until we have another Modern Warfare (the game) type success in another shooter genre I think it's gonna be like this.

#23 Posted by Zekhariah (694 posts) -

I'm having trouble seeing any broad genre disappearing.

New popular variants seem to come up in occasionally (crossing over RPG and RTS with FPS). But the fundamentals never really go away - you just end up with new things when hardware or input methods are updated. When do you think the gamepad or mouse will go away?

#24 Posted by triviaman09 (758 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Alright, I'm in.

#25 Edited by Seppli (9743 posts) -

Just like kids always will be playing cowboys and indians, cops and robbers - I will always be playing videogame multiplayer wargames - in the modern warfare variety and otherwise. Get over yourself.

Hell - chess is a wargame. Dance is ritualized combat. What do you want?

There's always gonna whores, and there's always gonna be wargames - and I love 'em both.

#26 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

I am already over the Modern Day shooter, at least the FPS. They are Boring.

#27 Posted by ShaggE (5984 posts) -

I'm sick of them myself, but if they sell, then they should keep making them. The end goal of gaming is to have fun, and people are having fun with military shooters.

#28 Posted by WickedFather (1714 posts) -

Steam Punk shooter or bow and arrow shooter is more likely than musket because of the reload times are terrible.  Coconut bombs, punji traps, or hobnailed bootings instead of knives sounds pretty fun.  Sod cowboys, that's already lame.

#29 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

They've been around since Rainbow Six (or earlier I don't know) so I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

As for me, I'm not really into them that much but do enjoy the occasional game of Call of Duty. Furthermore I don't look down on the people that do greatly enjoy them. Also people that disparage these games for their violence and love something like Uncharted are hypocrites.

#30 Posted by ViciousReiven (793 posts) -

For me personally it's when the experience stops being 'new', for example Black Ops was different enough aesthetic wise  from MW2 that I enjoyed it despite the core gameplay being similar, MW3 is a pure rehash that I don't even dare to touch. 
Black Ops 2 on the other hand is looking pretty good, Treyarch is doing enough things differently that I'll probably like. 

It's not even the 'modern' setting that I like anyway, it's just the core gameplay being so polished, I'd prefer something like the Syndicate's awesome cyberpunk style to modern military, just as long as it doesn't go the MGS4 route with PMCs and proxy wars.

#31 Edited by Franstone (1057 posts) -

Never, so give up wondering...

Games are always going to try to simulate things that few of us do in real life.

Flying, racing cars, professional sports, and yes, war.

#32 Posted by EchoEcho (807 posts) -

If you don't like modern military shooters, then you're already over them. There is absolutely no need to hope for the death of an entire genre in order to play the games you enjoy, as you can simply choose not to buy the ones you dislike. It isn't like the popularity of the modern military shooter has caused the complete decline of all other genres.

#33 Posted by CookieMonster (2408 posts) -

Never, especially not any time soon. There will always be a market for them.

#34 Posted by HerbieBug (3844 posts) -

trends in gaming usually go 5-10 years with a fairly sharp drop off near the end. They are invariably defeated by market saturation of the trending style or type of game and loss of interest on the part of the consumer.

#35 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I don't think the problem is that there are too many shooters out there, it's that they are too influential on the industry because of their ludicrous sales, and now every AAA publisher wants to put shooter mechanics and multiplayer into games where they don't really belong so they can cash in on it. That is a shitty trend. It doesn't lead to innovative gameplay. So while I don't want to see shooters disappear, I would agree that I'd like to see their influence calm a little bit.

#36 Posted by believer258 (11046 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Honestly, I don't really agree that we are saturated by modern military shooters; there's a handful of very popular modern military shooters, but in the scheme of things, it's hardly a saturation. If anything, I would say there's a greater saturation of medieval fantasy RPGs...

This.

If we're so oversatured with them, name ten that came out last year that got a decent amount of press.

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a break from them, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as WW2 shooters back in the day.

#37 Posted by Delta_Ass (3230 posts) -

I don't think it's ever going to happen.

#38 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

Just like how we got over WWII when the next big thing kills it and everyone starts making *that* kind of game over and over again. Basically what COD4 did to WW2 shooters.

#39 Posted by cannonballBAM (593 posts) -

@RedRoach: Just stop buying them and any carbon copies, third person shooters included.

#40 Posted by KaneRobot (1267 posts) -

I would save "never" but if you would have asked me in 1995 if people would ever be over fighting games I would have said "never" as well. That said, FPS games have had a lot longer life than fighting games did in the 90's.

#41 Posted by Akeldama (4216 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Soon...i hope. With AC3 coming up i hope that a little more games will be set in the musket era. Musket FPS game, who's with me?

Muskets suck.