Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: When does a Quick Look stop being quick? (222 votes)

1-20 minutes 1%
21-30 minutes 4%
31-40 minutes 5%
41-60 minutes 9%
60-90 minutes 5%
90-120 minutes 4%
THEY ARE ALWAYS QUICK BABY 59%
depends on the length of the game 14%

so, after the second 2+ hour QL, I was wondering what constituted a "quick look" to you. Because I don't know, 2 hours isn't really that quick to me.

What say you?

(also I wonder if they knew how long these things would end up being when they started the site)

#1 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

15 minutes.

#2 Posted by Ben_H (3322 posts) -

If we look at the original Quick Looks, anything past 20 minutes is considered long. I personally don't mind. If the game is good then why not have a longer video?

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5103 posts) -

they actually touch on this thought process bit in like the second pax panel,

how for the endurance run for persona, they said there was no way you can play that JRPG for just 15 mins at a time,

so i bet that thought process applies to quick looks,

quick look is just a name at this point :P

#4 Edited by Dethfish (3631 posts) -

When it becomes an endurance run

#5 Edited by StarvingGamer (8043 posts) -

@dethfish said:

When it becomes an endurance run

#6 Posted by DirkGently (93 posts) -

Quick Look is a style now rather than a literal description. You hear the guitar and anything that follows is a 'Quick Look', not necessarily a quick look.

#7 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I love long quick looks!

#8 Edited by Daveyo520 (6663 posts) -

After the credits.

#9 Posted by LiquidPrince (15857 posts) -

It's all relative and depends on the length of the game.

#10 Edited by Pr1mus (3825 posts) -

25 mins or less for Sleeping Dogs is madness, might as well be a non-existent look. At the same time a 30 seconds quick look EX with some brain dead developer who is obviously extremely uncomfortable talking to other human beings is like an eternity.

#11 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I thought in some video Jeff discussed how he liked that with Giantbomb they could take more extensive looks at games, where as with Gamespot they made them do shorter length content. I could be just making all this up though...

Anyways, I really don't care how long a QL is because they longer it is, the more content I get to watch. Whether that means I have an hour long QL I can watch spread out or shorter ones I can watch in one go, doesn't really matter to me. I enjoy both.

#12 Posted by Gruebacca (506 posts) -

I voted purely on my definition of what is considered "quick." Of course, we all know that quick looks were really short in the beginning, and the format evolved to allow for enough time to show off a general idea of a game. Some games take 15 minutes to explain, some take an hour, and some are just really long for the hell of it like those simulator videos we all love so much.

Also remember that none of these videos are scripted or planned in great detail, so lengths vary depending on the staff's interest in how much of the game they wish to cover.

#13 Posted by BisonHero (6258 posts) -

Where's the thread that guy made with all of the Quick Look stats, and the average QL length per year, and everything?

I think it would be interesting to also break down Quick Look length by staff member. I think Vinny and Brad can easily be goaded into continuing a Quick Look, while Ryan often ends them a little earlier than other staff (sometimes seemingly because he reaches a point he can't get past, so he just calls it). I feel like Jeff is probably the best at showing off a game enough that you get the idea without overstaying his welcome.

#14 Posted by Village_Guy (2509 posts) -

Nothing stops the Quick Look!

Hour long Quick Looks are still too quick! Hook these so-called "quick" looks into my blood stream and keep 'em going all day long!

#15 Posted by NoRemnants (378 posts) -

I think 30-40 mins is the perfect length for a quick look. There are exceptions like the HotS one which almost requires a long quick look because of how much is packed into it.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (8579 posts) -

90-120 min. Past a hour or so, it's something closer to a feature than a quick look.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11728 posts) -

3 hours apparently...

#18 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2214 posts) -

It depends on the game itself but I'm content with half an hour on most games, I don't need to see too much on a shooter like CoD or Halo but an RPG with deeper mechanics can go on longer.

#19 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4934 posts) -

They are always quick, baby! - That's what she said.

Wait, I fucked this up.

#20 Edited by ajamafalous (11876 posts) -

When it becomes an Endurance Run

#21 Posted by Zaccheus (1789 posts) -

The longer the better.

#22 Edited by Nictel (2389 posts) -

When they don't call them Quick Looks

#23 Edited by UlquioKani (1032 posts) -

Considering the lengths of games, pretty much all the quick looks are quick compared to the total size of the game. Apart from Bad Dudes which they finished on the quick look.

#24 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10576 posts) -

THEY ARE ALWAYS QUICK!

Silence your words of blasphemy!

#25 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Your lifespan is around ~80 years. Quick Looks are always quick.

#26 Posted by DeviTiffany (417 posts) -

It's just a name used for brand recognition. Quick Look now isn't really meant to be taken as a literal thing any more. When you see the word Quick Look before something you know it's just mostly unedited footage of Giant Bomb guys playing a chuck of a video game, doesn't really matter how long it is. Personally I prefer the 45 minute long videos to the shorter ones, it gives me a much better idea if I would like the game way more than any other way of viewing it would.

#27 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Depends on game length. The "quick look" denotes a certain style of video, but only implies that it is not attempting to hit the full breadth of whatever game it is. You could probably do a 4 hr quick look of world of warcraft and still technically be under those limitations.

#28 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Depends on how entertaining the Quick Look is. An hour of Vinny playing Sleeping Dogs will fly by, 20 minutes of someone fumbling with a game that they don't understand and "explaining" it anyway isn't much fun to watch nor is it useful after the fact.

#29 Edited by Nightriff (4935 posts) -

Around the 40 min mark but I make exceptions for Vinny QLs because he makes the entire thing fun. 2 hours and 10 minutes for Euro Truck Sim 2 and I wouldn't trade it for anything

#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Past 20ish minutes. I rarely watch any quick looks these days and when since 40+ minutes is the norm I rarely even start them at all. In 2009 I watch every single one to a degree.

#31 Posted by Max_Cherry (1131 posts) -

44 minutes is way to short and 46 minutes is way to long. So...

#32 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

The Quick Look wasn't originally intended as a main feature of the site. It was just a video they made for Burnout Paradise I believe and then they made another video, then another, and it just became a thing.

#33 Edited by Video_Game_King (36124 posts) -

They are always quick, baby! - That's what she said.

Wait, I fucked this up.

Because I don't think @animasta ever really said anything close to that.

#34 Edited by Fattony12000 (7102 posts) -

My time is worthless, so any amount of it that these guys want to fill with videos, of any length, is fine by me.

#35 Posted by Bocam (3683 posts) -

A Quick Look stops being a quick look when the staff actually prepares beforehand..

#36 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

39 minutes

#37 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

However long it takes to explain the games and it's mechanics. Once they've shown everything and there's nothing left but to play the game then they call it. That's how they want it and to me, that seems like the best way to handle it.

#38 Posted by Demoskinos (14596 posts) -

I dont see a "Fuck You" option on the poll.