When Is A Game Not A Game?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By sammo21

So, I've started to get a little annoyed at people who just decide that something isn't a game.  What is there criteria for something being a game?  Points...lives...contrived stories and backgrounds?  I know this has been brought up before, but I don't hear anyone challenge anything when people make those claims.  What are your thoughts of when a game isn't really a game?

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

A game is something I can play.  Whether it be running game on some unsuspecting blonde bimbo or running through the streets of San Andreas.  If I can win/lose it is a game.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Subjugation

Limited interactivity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to know some peoples' rationale for this as well. I wouldn't consider things like Fireplace Simulators to be games, but once you start interacting with it in some way (such as putting logs on the fire,) it becomes a game - albeit a very boring and mundane one.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ViciousReiven

Objectives/interactivity.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By melcene
@sammo21 said:
" So, I've started to get a little annoyed at people who just decide that something isn't a game.  What is there criteria for something being a game?  Points...lives...contrived stories and backgrounds?  I know this has been brought up before, but I don't hear anyone challenge anything when people make those claims.  What are your thoughts of when a game isn't really a game? "
A game isn't a game when it becomes work and not fun.
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#7  Edited By sammo21
@melcene: That can be anything, as I think people who farm achievements don't have fun that would make all of those games no longer games?  WoW no longer is a game?   

If limited interactivity means something is not a game, do we go back to the hundreds of older games and classify them as not being games anymore?
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

flower because it's an experience, bro.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By jacksukeru

When it becomes art!

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By melcene
@sammo21: It all depends on the person.  And I don't think that if we were to use the criteria I listed earlier, that it would apply to everyone.  If I felt a game was no longer fun and was all work, that doesn't mean it's not a game for you anymore.  It would just mean it's not a game for me anymore. 

I think that ultimately, it's a matter of whether something is a game that a particular person would play.  I often say that I don't consider Farmville to be a real game.  Obviously it is one, but it's not one that I would ever play.  Nor do I believe in grouping people who only play games via Facebook or smartphone apps with our common version of gamers.  But that's just me and my opinion.  I know that it doesn't hold water and that it can't be blanket-applied.
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@sammo21 said:
"So, I've started to get a little annoyed at people who just decide that something isn't a game.  What is there criteria for something being a game?  Points...lives...contrived stories and backgrounds?  I know this has been brought up before, but I don't hear anyone challenge anything when people make those claims.  What are your thoughts of when a game isn't really a game? "

Life's a game, everything within it is a side-quest
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By AndrewGaspar

A game is anything with some sort of objective you do for entertainment.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dtat

I think you have to look at it on a case by case basis. We can however agree on one thing that must be present to even begin considering if something is a game. 

-Interactivity  

And that's really the only thing I can think of.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By ESREVER
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By mutha3

When its not a game.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RagingLion

The thing is, is 'game' your starting point when you ask that question or when we ask that question of ourselves?  Is it being asked because a game is the ideal and that anything that doesn't qualify as that is lesser?

I think I'd start by saying I like lots of media and I'm particularly fascinated by interactive media and the possibilities it allows.  There are different points on the spectrum of how interactive things are but being less interactive/ less game doesn't mean it has less value.  The OP's question is definitely legitimate in it's own right and there's a place for it to be discussed but I'd like to challenge 'who cares if it's a game or not' as long as it's interesting, in case the game form of media is being thought of as an ideal here.  [Edit: the OP may very well be thinking the same thing as me here potentially - not sure.]

So yeah, I want there to be a place for interactive movie experiences where I get to make some of the choices even though they're limited; I want to have a huge amount of control and freedom in an open-world game like Far Cry 2; I want to wander through the meditative experience of Dear Esther where I'm just listening and all I really have to do is walk forward but I'm having an experience nonetheless; I want to have things where there is no aim and end goal but to explore and see and hear like Minecraft to an extent in its current state.  You might not use the 'game' descriptor for all these cases but they all offer something and I don't think we should discourage any of them.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By fazzle

When it's ajar! 

....wait I think I did that wrong.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

When you, as the player, have at least some measure control over how a series of events plays out within a virtual space.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By craigbo180

A game is not a game, when it is flower.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SammydesinasNL
@weeman105 said:
"Limited interactivity. "

BLOPS?
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chirag4

This'd be where the arguement to start referring to games as "interactive entertainment" comes into play.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

Whether it's interactive or not is the first, and most crucial, step.  After that you look at it on a case by case basis:  For example, Fireplace Simulator vs. Heavy Rain.  The first is interactive but can't really be said to be a game, while Heavy Rain definitely can.   
Majestic_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Majestic_XII
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers