When it comes to gaming at 1080p, is a 32" TV big enough?

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some people claim that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on TVs that are 32" and smaller. I plan on getting a new console soon and I want to be able to enjoy all of the 1080p games to their fullest. I'm leaning towards 32" but I'm not married to the idea (.aka. I don't mind shopping for a bigger TV if need be).

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all depends how far away you are from the set. I personally used a 32" with my PS3 for a few years and had a great time. I've currently got a 50" 4K screen now and sometimes, especially with shooters, I feel like it can be a bit much to keep track of everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

32" is fine and you can tell the difference between 720 and 1080 at that size.

40" couldn't hurt though. It's not overly large and doesn't really cost much more.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By manicraider

@khann: Ok then. I think I'll go for a 40" or 42". Thanks.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You can definitely tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at those sizes. You must be blind or oblivious to finer details if you can't.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a 27" for like 7 years now... It worked, but in hindsight, I think you might as well go for 40".

Especially with games like The Witcher or MGSV, there's so much small text...

SilverhandX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really depends on how far you're sitting away from it. With monitors sitting at a normal length for a desk you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at much smaller than 32". Just get whatever size you want, and unless you're sitting really far away from it get 1080 over 720.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
deactivated-5c15a9c63664d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manicraider:

It depends on how close to the TV you are. The closer to the TV you sit, the more difference you will notice. My advice would just be to go for as big as you can afford. 720p TVs bigger than 24 inches are becoming more rare anyway.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not to be one of the many smartass tech nerds on Tom's Hardware, but Samsung and company are still selling 720 displays? I thought 1080 became the new standard in the wake of 1440 and 4K...

Well, as far as size goes; you'll want a size the sits comfortably in your field of view. Generally, the farther you sit away from you TV, the bigger size you should go. I'm not the best a judging distances, but I imagine 32" would be comfortable if you're sitting maybe two and a half arm lengths away from it. Any more than that and it wouldn't hurt to go bigger.

ultron100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never heard someone say, "Man! I wish I bought a smaller TV!"

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesilenttruth: 720p sets are actually pretty common still for sub 40" at big box stores. At least here in the fly over states.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

52 inch or bust. Their ain't no turnin' back.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't be able to play on a 32 inch TV anymore but it depends on your budget.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron100: Man I wish I bought a smaller TV. It's big and annoying to transport between university and home and it's less versatile than a smaller TV which can more easily be used as a (secondary) monitor. This is a very specific scenario though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all just depends on how close you plan on sitting in front of your tv. If you are like a few feet from your tv when gaming, sure it's fine. If you are maybe about 10 or so feet away you might as well spend the extra cash for a bigger monitor. The number one key is make sure it is in your budget and you do research on the television. Make sure it's a high quality tv and it won't break down in maybe 2-3 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Not to be one of the many smartass tech nerds on Tom's Hardware, but Samsung and company are still selling 720 displays? I thought 1080 became the new standard in the wake of 1440 and 4K...

I don't know about Samsung, but yes. The Walmart in my area practically ONLY sells 720p TVs if you're looking something that's 32 inches or less. I have no idea why... 1080p displays are pretty much the same price as what they're selling them for... and I can't think of anyone that would actively want a 720p display these days.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: Apparently so, after checking Best Buy and Newegg just now, and not just Insignia is selling them...

*Francis York Morgan shrug*

I guess 720p TVs don't have VHS status just yet.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It all depends how far away you are from the set. I personally used a 32" with my PS3 for a few years and had a great time. I've currently got a 50" 4K screen now and sometimes, especially with shooters, I feel like it can be a bit much to keep track of everything.

EXACTLY. People get all wrapped up in other issues when thinking about size. Its all about how far away you will sit from it. As a side thought if you rent or if you move a lot a smaller TV is just easier to move around pick up and carry or toss into a car.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've used a 1080p 24inch monitor and it works fine. Honestly the jaggies that are left at 1080p were less noticeable on a smaller screen, now that i'm on a 42inch 1080p they stand out like crazy.