#1 Posted by mythil (6 posts) -

Well my friend gives GB a lot of praise and, well I've been a PC gamer all my life. In fact I can't remember a time when I didn't have access to a PC at home.

I've always been a fan of horror games and rpg's.. However I've been trying to track down a lot of rpg's I may have forgotten about (such and PS:T and Sanitarium) and new stuff that fly's under the radar. It seems a lot of the big journalist sites give only top ratings to newer games.. So I'm seeing if anyone can recommend some old classics we may have looked over or some new stuff that doesn't get attention.

Also, as I side note.. No final fantasy. I don't like JRPG's as a rule but FF just, annoys me.. Especially the new ones. I could go into a lot of detail why but I don't want to start a flame war or anything unsavory. Just put it this way, any list that includes Final Fantasy in it's top rpg list, especially FFX just looses all credibility with me. No, not trying to start an argument, I'm too old for that, just a good marker of where my tastes lay.

Thanks guys ;)

#2 Posted by TheJohn (548 posts) -

Welcome to the site, dude. Old RPG guy here. Let's see if we're into the same kinds of games.

Have you checked out the Divinity games? There's a bundle available both on Steam and GOG, with everything you need. Arx Fatalis is cheap at GOG, and that's pretty good if you were into the Ultima Underworld games back in the day. Also, Dark Souls, dude! I was pretty sure I was gonna hate it, because Japan and hard game etc, but a friend gifted it to me during christmas sales, and I'm hooked. That game is insane! I really like the way the game treats the player like a grown up, and expects me to make an effort to learn the system.

#3 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins? Not 2, Origins.
Late 90's style RPG's don't really seem to exist anymore.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

Also, Persona 4

#5 Posted by mythil (6 posts) -

@TheJohn:

I have over 300 hours in dark souls ;)

I did play the Ultima series, I may do again. Luckily I've forgotten most of the plot points from rpg's. I even played Ultima Online when it started.

#6 Posted by mythil (6 posts) -

@believer258:

Played. I thought 2 was hideous

#7 Posted by TheJohn (548 posts) -

@mythil: Not being a native english speaker, I didn't even notice if the two Ultima Underworld games had a plot. I just loved getting lost in the dungeons. Arx Fatalis brought me back there hard. Never played any of the regular Ultima games though.

Other games: Have you checked out Avernum: Escape from the Pit? I haven't gotten to myself yet, but it's supposed to be very good. Also Drakensang: The River of Time come highly recommended, but I'm unable to confirm that as it is not yet available in my region.

#8 Posted by mythil (6 posts) -

@TheJohn:

Yes and no on the plot.

I will check those games out though

#9 Posted by Lysergica33 (480 posts) -

Bit of an obvious one, but have you played The Witcher 2? TW1 was good gameplay wise but unfortunately it's about as immersive as a sponge considering it's running on that Neverwinter Nights engine, so everyone looks like they're made out of wood. The Witcher 2 rectifies all of these problems and is one of the greatest RPG's of the last decade in my opinion. It's a bit less dense mechanically but has some damn fine world building, storytelling and combat.

Also Legend of Grimrock if you're into old school first person dungeon crawlers. Have only played it for about half hour thus far, but it seems pretty great at what it does.

And welcome to Giant Bomb man. T'is one of the last bastions of integrity in games coverage and has a damn fine community (: Enjoy your stay

#10 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Check out the Persona 4 Endurance Run and see if that appeals to you. It's a JRPG but a damn good one.

#11 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

how about legend of grimrock. i used to play dungeon master and choas strikes back on the atari ST many years ago and LoG is just that.

really cool

#12 Posted by Akyho (1549 posts) -

Baldurs Gate got a new updated enhanced edition available over at Good old Games GOG.com and any IOS device.

#13 Posted by Zrais (141 posts) -

@TheJohn said:

@mythil: Not being a native english speaker, I didn't even notice if the two Ultima Underworld games had a plot. I just loved getting lost in the dungeons. Arx Fatalis brought me back there hard. Never played any of the regular Ultima games though.

Other games: Have you checked out Avernum: Escape from the Pit? I haven't gotten to myself yet, but it's supposed to be very good. Also Drakensang: The River of Time come highly recommended, but I'm unable to confirm that as it is not yet available in my region.

I second the Avernum games. Those are fantastic.

#14 Edited by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -

@mythil said:

I don't like JRPG's as a rule

Writing off an entire genre "as a rule" seems pretty dumb.

#15 Posted by YOU_DIED (695 posts) -

If you have a controller get Dark Souls and let it consume you

#16 Edited by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

Tales of Game’s Studios Presents Chef Boyardee’s Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa (yes that is the name) is getting a lot of buzz, mainly because they are trying to make a sequel as a more legit full fledged game.

I don't play a lot of RPGs, so I don't know of many that aren't in the spot light.  
Horror games: 
You probably played it already but Amnesia: The Dark Descent (most frictional games really are really good) 

I'm really tired. There may be more, certainly is, but I cant think well right now. 

@Soapy86: Saying something you do or don't do "as a rule" is an American euphemism- in this context that means he doesn't like JRPGs. He's as entitled to that opinion as you are to liking them. =)
#17 Posted by bellmont42 (306 posts) -
#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (10994 posts) -

There's always that Might and Magic 6-pack on GOG. While the first two games are old and crusty as hell, III and onward are both awesome and surprisingly accessible for how old they are. Of course, VII is my favorite, but you'll have to get that one on its own (albeit for $6 instead of $10). VIII is ok, and IX is kinda bad.

Let's see, what else would I recommend? Obligatory Temple of Elemental Evil plug, maybe some Icewind Dale as well if you haven't already played that. Really, I'm all for anything with a lot of really good combat. If you're looking for story, Planescape and The Witcher are the RPGs that come to mind.

#19 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

Cart Life is free and amazing. You will be shocked at the amount of story in it. It's not really an rpg though, more akin to harvest moon I guess.

#20 Posted by fox01313 (5032 posts) -

Planescape Torment, Neverwinter are recommended, believe that some of these are on Good Old games, can't remember if Sanitarium is there (after finding at a used book/software chain called Half Price Books I stopped looking for it digitally). Also if you want something with a bit more action, there's Sacred & Sacred Fallen Angel (Diablo style RPGs) on steam with an insane amount of content esp. in Fallen Angel.

#21 Edited by colubroid (39 posts) -

/dungeon-crawl-stone-soup/61-30676/ is short on story, but the mechanics can suck you in. You probably want to start with the installer that has tiles. Once you get used to the controls most people are more comfortable with the ASCII version. There are also servers where you can watch other players and your dead characters attack them or they can pop up in your game. If you liked Dark Souls then Crawl SS is probably the most balanced and polished roguelike to see where From Software got some inspiration. 

edit: I'm going to have to find out how to post a link.
#22 Posted by L44 (510 posts) -

Star Control 2?

#23 Posted by beeftothetaco (418 posts) -

Dark Souls, preferably with a controller.

#24 Posted by Zebracal (74 posts) -

If you still have a working PS 1, try to get back at legend of legaia

#25 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

Check out Zeboyd games, also there is an HD remake of Baldurs gate ( tho that isn't THAT old ) and an old-style dungeon crawler named Legend of Grimrock that came out in 2012 which most people say is good if a bit to puzzle field, haven't played it tho so can't really "recommend" it.