• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by lilyWhite (29 posts) -

...and when Telltale releases a barely-functional game with half-assed branching storylines and "gameplay" that they can't even put on a single disc without even more game-breaking issues, everyone kisses their butt and gives it Game of the Year.

Is there a good reason why gaming journalism has dedicated itself to whitewashing and flat-out ignoring all of the problems with The Walking Dead? Even beyond the flaws in storytelling or "gameplay", the sheer quantity of bugs and glitches that can completely break the game is inexcusable. Gaming journalists were perfectly aware of this when reviewing the individual episodes...yet completely ignored all of these issues and more in order to give the even-more-broken complete set higher scores than any of the individual episodes.

So is there a good reason why gaming journalists (and many gamers, for that matter) have lowered their standards for simple functionality for Telltale games? Is it more important in their eyes for a game to be "art" with lackluster gameplay than to actually work properly?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Gaming journalists were perfectly aware of this when reviewing the individual episodes

Really? I wasn't. I think the only glitch I remember was some timing thing with Larry's death.

#3 Posted by noizy (662 posts) -

I bought directly from TellTale and couldn't play TWD s02e01 at launch because their authentication server were hammered. I haven't had other bugs though. What did you get?

#4 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (140 posts) -

Because its fun. I didn't think SimCity was fun.

#5 Posted by probablytuna (3614 posts) -

I can safely say I did not experience any game-breaking bugs or glitches that remotely affected my playthrough. Other than the save-erasing bug (which to be fair is fairly shitty), I had not heard about any other game-breaking bug for The Walking Dead.

#6 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

Never encountered a single bug playing TWD - neither did anyone I know (not that they've mentioned, anyway). Not saying the game's bug free by any means, but it's not nearly as straight up busted as, say, SimCity.

#7 Edited by planetfunksquad (416 posts) -

No bugs here. It was a little framey at points, but thats hardly a show stopper.

#8 Posted by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

@lilywhite: People can only judge a game based on their own experiences. For me, The Walking Dead worked perfectly all throughout. It sucks that didn't for other people, but that doesn't lower my enjoyment of the series.

#9 Posted by Nightriff (4991 posts) -

I had no problems running Season 1 on the PS3 in 2012.

#10 Posted by cmblasko (1193 posts) -

I did not experience any such issues when I played through it through Steam last year.

#11 Posted by Wolfgame (708 posts) -

I think the OP raises a good point, I think many of these issues may have been isolated to the 360 version of walking deads complete on disc release, but I think TellTale even went so far to provide refunds for that game so people could opt to purchase the digital release. The actual flak or blow back on that to TellTale was very minimal compared to what we do see leveled at EA. Interesting to notice/bring up anyways.

#12 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

"Whitewashing". Alright then.

#13 Posted by Petiew (1345 posts) -

I enjoyed TWD enough to the point where the problems seemed mostly minor. Aside from the bad framerate and occassionally long loadings I only got one glitch that fixed upon reset.

I haven't played SimCity but I assume the negatives outweighed any positives for many people. With the Walking Dead it seems to be the other way around.

#14 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

*shrug* This happens a lot and I don't see it necessarily as a problem. People labor under the false illusion that games can be compared like this when the truth is nothing of the sort.

#15 Edited by spraynardtatum (2811 posts) -

I was able to look past all the framerate dips and freezes last season because I got really invested in the game but having it be worse in episode 1 of season 2 is straight up bad. Also the inability for them to hit a release date should be something they work on.

What bothers me is that they don't seem to be correcting previous mistakes.

#16 Posted by Veektarius (4772 posts) -

I can't speak to any bugs, since I haven't experieinced them, but obviously if the reviewers shared your distaste for the gameplay and storyline, the game wouldn't have been GOTY.

#17 Edited by Wolfgame (708 posts) -

@extomar: I would agree with this, speaking proportionally to EA level blunders and trying to say outright that it is the equivalent to TellTale doesn't hold much weight for me, even if you look out side of Simcity EA has a history and continues to make very questionable decisions, even though I said the OP raises a good point in this comparison it's not exactly an even or 1:1 contrast.

#18 Posted by believer258 (11800 posts) -

Sometimes people are quick to throw shit at EA, I'll give you that, but Telltale didn't hide their game behind an always-online connection that didn't always work. They also didn't strip-down a once-beloved franchise to make something that, from hearing about it on the Bombcast, doesn't really work all that well. It all sounded like EA forced multiplayer into a game that didn't really have any business being multiplayer in the first place.

Telltale made a game with an engaging and thoughtful story, and they put a lot of heart into it. EA has this reputation for taking good things and fucking them up all in the name of a few extra dollars. Microtransactions, always online, shoehorned multiplayer, forcing a game out onto shelves before it's ready, etc. They're certainly not the worst company in America, but they don't exactly do a good job of relating to their customers either. It's even more frustrating when you realize that their business model often involves letting good devs kick off good franchises before they butcher those franchises.

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

If you actually want an answer, it's because Telltale hasn't been consistently fucking people over for the past 6 years.

#20 Edited by jaycrockett (442 posts) -

I didn't experience any bugs, nor do I recall an overwhelming chorus of complaints when the game was released. I also didn't hear of any crazy PR statements from Telltale along the lines of "Everything's broken because everyone loves our game so much!"

Could you maybe go over what the problems were, and what Telltales response to them were, that puts them in the same league as EA's handling of SimCity?

#21 Edited by Yummylee (21506 posts) -

@nightriff said:

I had no problems running Season 1 on the PS3 in 2012.

Ayup. Season 2 and Wolf Among Us have also been running perfectly fine without issue at that.

#22 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2050 posts) -

Because Sim City was a flawed game that quite literally was unplayable at launch for just about everyone.

Then they released Battlefield 4 which was also basically unplayable on several platforms.

Then they released NBA Live which they have admitted they basically didn't even finish.

I've also had no problem with TWD or Wolf Among Us glitch wise.

#23 Posted by FlipperDesert (2083 posts) -

Ow! Shit! All these edges made me drop OP's post!

It's partly a case of SimCity being broken at launch because of a deliberate design choice, not a bug. I also imagine that there's plenty of room to write about said issues and if pressured, Telltale would apologise and try to fix it. For example, they apologised about the slow delivery of TWAU.

#24 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

You're talking about The Walking Dead as if it was a completely broken product, but most people just haven't had anywhere near the kind of issues you're talking about with this game. I'm in the same camp as the other people in this thread who played in that when I played the game I encountered zero problems of this kind. Now there did seem to be some considerable issues with the on-disc console versions, or at least one of them, and if it was as bad as some people were saying then yeah, I think the press should have reported a little more on that, it's not excusable. At the same time however, we've got to put this in perspective and remember that was one of a number of available versions of the game and it didn't seem to be the one that was getting lapped up by a lot of gamers. It also came from a company who really seem to care about their customers and had a good track record at putting in the effort to give their users a quality experience. You obviously aren't entirely on-board with the mechanics and story of the game, but most people really enjoyed the content of the game, and not because it may have been "art". The whole "art" thing just wasn't really part of the discussion at all. People enjoyed the game because among other things it was a very emotional experience and it was pushing the boundaries of games as a medium.

EA on the other hand released a single version of their game that was literally unplayable for people on a scale that was nuts. This came on the back of EA repeatedly screwing over customers for personal gain, sometimes with the exact kind of DRM that we were seeing in SimCity. Many people were tired of seeing this happening and this issue was both a result of and reflective of the larger issue of games published by EA that were worsening user experiences with bad anti-consumer policies, and games with DRM in general worsening the experience of players. This also wasn't just a case of the people behind the game trying to build a quality product and falling down on the execution, but at a design level the DRM was a damaging idea. It must be remembered that the DRM actually seemed to be Maxis's idea and that they're the one who developed the game, and whether it was the press's fault or not Maxis never quite seemed to receive their share of the blame for the DRM, but as the publisher EA still took a good chunk of the responsibility here, and again, their track record was not good. When people did actually manage to play the game it wasn't ground-breaking or a really high quality experience, a lot of people actually found that it was a poor continuation of the series that through a series of missteps in the game design and the programming was made rather disappointing.

Given all of this I don't believe the two situations are directly comparable.

#25 Posted by CornBREDX (5106 posts) -

I have had no issues with The Walking Dead beyond small download issues of the sequential episodes after the first. That was easily remedied.

#26 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

Well that's strange since most people played through the game without any major problems. Comparing glitches some people experienced in a game to the colossal f-up that was SimCity at launch is completely unfair. Whether or not you liked the gameplay and branching story is nice and all, but most people really enjoyed it. I played both at launch and SimCity was completely unplayable for weeks! I played The Walking Dead without a hitch. Some people had issues, but not the same numbers SimCity was pulling in.

#27 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@wolfgame: man if you want to talk about bad track records lets not even mention Telltale. They're not exactly a fountain of quality products.

#28 Posted by AMyggen (2862 posts) -

You just can't compare Sim City's problems to TWD's, you just can't.

#29 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

If you actually want an answer, it's because Telltale hasn't been consistently fucking people over for the past 6 years.

#30 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

SimCity was literally unplayable for everybody.

#31 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

Really though, the issue is the assumption in the topic is bogus. They are basically asking "Why aren't people noticing how similar SimCity and The Walking Dead are?" The answer is they aren't very similar at all...except in the nitpicky way this particular poster squints their eyes, warps their view, and is annoyed.

#32 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@extomar said:

Really though, the issue is the assumption in the topic is bogus. They are basically asking "Why aren't people noticing how similar SimCity and The Walking Dead are?" The answer is they aren't very similar at all...except in the nitpicky way this particular poster squints their eyes, warps their view, and is annoyed.

That's actually not what he is saying at all.

He's comparing two situations, not games, which are similar. Two different games got released, both of which had their own set of issues, but one gets a lot of praise for the things it did right while the bugs are talked about in passing, while the other gets heavily criticized for the bugs while any positives are completely set off to the side. The reason for this is quite boring, and it is that people are much more accepting of "problems" if the overall experience is positive. In turn they will nitpick considerably if the overall experience is negative - I am well aware these aren't some shocking truths I'm revealing here.. Telltale made several adventure games prior to The Walking Dead that weren't very good. The Walking Dead didn't change much in terms of gameplay or quality control, but people enjoyed the story to such an extent that the lackluster "game" aspect, save bugs and a few other issues were completely ignored in favor of praising the emotionally charged story. The Walking Dead was not a good game as much as Sim City was not a good city building simulator - the key difference here being that Sim City didn't have anything else to save it, and in fact was even further bogged down by the always-online controversy.

So in essence he's correct in assuming that journalists and players alike will forgive and forget for some titles but not others. In a perfect world with completely objective reviews this wouldn't be an issue - as it stands we're not robots yet and every game critique is written with it's own dose of subjectivity that will often obscure some elements in favor of others.

#33 Edited by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

He's comparing two situations, not games, which are similar. Two different games got released, both of which had their own set of issues, but one gets a lot of praise for the things it did right while the bugs are talked about in passing, while the other gets heavily criticized for the bugs while any positives are completely set off to the side.

SimCity's technical issues far far outweigh TWD. The game was broken for 100% of the player base.

It's not even a worthwhile comparison. TWD would need to crash immediately upon starting a game to be comparable to that catastrophe.

#34 Posted by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

Two days on the site, two ridiculous EA defenses; this is either a troll, or an EA employee.

#35 Edited by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

He's comparing two situations, not games, which are similar. Two different games got released, both of which had their own set of issues, but one gets a lot of praise for the things it did right while the bugs are talked about in passing, while the other gets heavily criticized for the bugs while any positives are completely set off to the side.

SimCity's technical issues far far outweigh TWD. The game was broken for 100% of the player base.

It's not even a worthwhile comparison. TWD would need to crash immediately upon starting a game to be comparable to that catastrophe.

It's the principle - I'm not saying it's the best example in the world but it does ring true in the most basic sense of what I described. Once the servers were working fine and you could log into the game and play it the actual city building was alright - it also had bugs but it wasn't unplayable. Server woes are nothing new in the industry although in this case they did stretch on for quite a while.

#36 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (568 posts) -

I haven't heard of any game-breaking bugs in the Walking Dead. That being said, I think it's a little bit different when you're paying for a $5 episode with some bugs than a $60 retail release that is functionally borked (SimCity, Battlefield 4).

#37 Posted by phantomzxro (1571 posts) -

I don't think there have been a problem that everyone has had, that stop the game from working. secondly i think it came down to having a function in the game that nobody really wanted. Also having your heart in the right place will often let gamers be more understanding. But if you are forcing features that only serve to keep your bottom line gamers won't hold back when it does not work.

#38 Posted by Korwin (2847 posts) -

SUDDEN RANDOM RAGE!

#39 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

You don't hold Telltale to the same standards as EA, give me a break. Plus EA's errors tend be massive, and Telltale's are usually load times, framerate and lost saves. Compared to millions of people not being able to play an always online game that is... nothing.

@korwin said:

SUDDEN RANDOM RAGE!

very much reminds of SUPER SUDDEN DEATH!

#40 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

We're talking apples and oranges here. I think most of the comments above made the case pretty well, but I'll just repeat what has probably been said already.

The Walking Dead had bugs that affected a handful of people, myself included, but the game itself is great and does what it sets out to do. SimCity was a buggy mess for nearly everybody and straight-up didn't work for days at a time. Even when the servers were functioning normally, they had to update the game several times to fix all sorts of problems, some even created by the so-called fixes. To top it all off, even a perfectly functioning SimCity would be a mediocre game on its own with the tiny city sizes, limited transportation and building options, and forced online play.

#41 Posted by crithon (3137 posts) -

actually was replaying Walking Dead season one last night, and your wrong.

#42 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

Those are not remotely the same situations.

#43 Posted by EternalVigil (239 posts) -

The downloadable version of the episodes on 360 worked perfectly fine for me, with only the occasional frame rate dropping. It's a shame that you've clearly run into all the known bugs and has soured your opinion on the game. The issue with your comparison is as everyone has pointed out, while it sucks there are some rare nasty bugs for Walking Dead, they're just that; rare. SimCity at launch was broken for everyone as it's a mandatory online game which when the servers crapped out, nobody could play it.

Another huge difference is in the enjoyment of playing a game. You clearly don't like the gameplay in the Walking Dead which is a simplified point and click game with timed dialogue choices. The strength of the game is the characterization and the writing in general, with the feeling any choice you make is going to come back to haunt you in a bad way later on. Sure if you pull away the facade you can see where the game is sticking you on a pre-determined path to the conclusion, but it does it better than most of it's contemporaries.

SimCity on the other hand is a shallow mess, trying to push a classically single-player game into an always online co-op experience that no one wanted. It didn't help it had a catastrophic launch and even to this day have barely put back all the features that were promised at release.

It sucks you ran into all these issues with the game and couldn't get into it, but comparing your relatively isolated case to a game that was fundamentally broken for everybody who played it at release is just silly.

#44 Edited by Syed117 (387 posts) -

There are no excuses for the companies that put these products on the market.

It just feels like the vast majority of games "journalists" never grew up. Most of them are still stuck in that fanboy mentality that does nothing but hurt the industry. Gamers are the same way. All the internet babies want to scream and cry and make a million stupid memes but they don't want to speak with their wallets. They can't. Everyone thinks they are infinitely funnier and more clever than they really are. Every basement dweller that spends all day and night on internet forums bitching and moaning but needs to pre-order every game that they already know will be the best thing ever.

I really enjoyed the walking dead on PC, but I lost save progress twice. There is no excuse for that. Reviewers ignored those issues even though they were widespread.

It's like they are afraid to speak out because the industry runs on connections and no one wants to get blacklisted. They also ignore problems with games from companies that they love. There is almost no integrity. For the most part, I really like Giantbomb. I have occasional issues with the way Brad defends the games he thinks are incredible and obvious problems with Patrick and the pretentious douche bag hipster indie parade. For the most part, the guys here don't seem like they have an agenda.

What about every Bethesda game last generation on the PS3? I didn't see reviewers slamming Bethesda for all the problems those versions had.

For me, the last straw was Battlefield 4. That game was broken on all platforms at launch. Every single version was prone to crashes and all sorts of other problems. You would never have known seeing the reviews scores on day one. You're telling me that there is an entire industry of so called gaming "journalists" and not one spoke out at launch? Everyone was too busy throwing out those review scores and giving each other high fives?

I can guarantee that if reviewers had the balls to slam developers and publishers when they deserve it, we would never have all these problems. If Battlefield 4 had been slammed the way it deserved, EA nor DICE would never attempt to release a product like that again. No one would.

None of the things that happen in the games industry would be tolerated in any other industry. This is an industry where people are allowed to sell broken and incomplete products. It's a joke.

#45 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

I think I constantly gave that game shit for how horrendously buggy it was. I had it crash a couple of times, the scene where (I forget names by this point) is holding Duck (?) when he was turning had Duck completely invisible so she was cradling nothing, I had the scene where the hillbilly guy bashes the other dude's head in repeat itself 3 times in a row, at numerous points in the game I had the audio track play multiples times and thus had no fucking idea what was going on. And to top it all off, the game wasn't even that good.

#47 Edited by spraynardtatum (2811 posts) -

@eternalvigil said:

SimCity on the other hand is a shallow mess, trying to push a classically single-player game into an always online co-op experience that no one wanted.

It's almost like you don't give a shit that the problem with SimCity was that too many people tried to play the game at once, far more than what EA expected.

As far as this thread goes, it only proves that the retards whining their asses off about EA know jack fucking shit about their games and that Telltale fans are brain-dead sycophants.

#48 Edited by AMyggen (2862 posts) -
#49 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

I think this guy works for EA after looking at his past posts.

#50 Edited by AndrewB (7587 posts) -

It's unfortunately hard to defend either point because I experienced only two minor cosmetic glitches in the game, none of the game-breaking ones, and I enjoyed every minute of the story. The unfortunate part is that I can't just say issues don't exist because I didn't personally run across them.