• 59 results
#1 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

For me it was playing Halo: Combat Evolved on the pc back in 2003. But I didn't fully get into online gaming until 2008. My friend introduce me to xbox live on the 360. At the time I didn't give a shit about the forums or playing online much. But my friend told me once I tried xbox live I will never be the same. He also told me that xbox live can be a cruel mean world, and that once I get into online gaming I will understand.

So I gave it a try first thing I had to do was pick my username. Every username I had in mind was already taken. So I let the 360 come up with a username for me and it was FalseRelic. I didn't care about the name but my friend thought it sounded original. So I picked the name and the first game I played was halo 3. I had a blast shooting up people, trash talking and tea bagging my victims.

Afterwards I tried out demos and bought games. Ever sense I've been online gaming. Then overtime I understood exactly what my friend meant about the online gaming world. It really can be a cruel place.

#2 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

Halo was my first too. But I didn't really get into online gaming until Resistance.

#3 Posted by VierasTalo (940 posts) -

It was probably CS 1.6 sometime around 2003. After that it was some Smackdown VS Raw-game on the PS2, like way, way later when I finally had an ineternet connection of my own.

Or actually scratch that, I think I played some Liero on the school PCs like way before even CS came along.

#4 Posted by believer258 (12211 posts) -

Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, and Ratchet Deadlocked, on the PS2 around 2006. I played online for days on end.

#5 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

Probably Unreal Tournament back when it was released.

#6 Posted by TheLark (152 posts) -

Socom 2, it was awesome

#7 Posted by laserbolts (5371 posts) -

First call of duty on pc.

#8 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Neverwinter Nights Shadows of Undrentide in 2002.

#9 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Doom deathmatch.

#10 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Spectre VR 
Technically that was just LAN but I guess that counts, sort off, not really but still. 

#11 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

The first Killzone, I hooked up my ethernet cable to my PS2 and after getting assigned a random PSN name I was killing Helgasts!

#12 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@TheLark said:

Socom 2, it was awesome

I've always wanted to play the original socom games online. I had socom 1 and 2 but I didn't have internet at the time. The only socom game I played online was socom 4. I enjoyed it but alot of people hated the game. I understood why they hated it. From what I heard alot of the cool features wasn't in socom 4.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (22579 posts) -
#14 Edited by wilsouk (47 posts) -

Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast or Counter Strike when it first came out

Remember staying up all night as the dial up took over the phone line

#15 Posted by Deinos (87 posts) -

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight back in 1997.

#16 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1093 posts) -

My first real experience online with people i don't know would have to be Counter-strike in 2003. I have to say Call of Duty 4 for my first online console experience. Let's just say I am bad at FPS games and they soured my enjoyment. It wasn't until Burnout Paradise that I really enjoyed the online experience.

#17 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Unreal Tournament 2003, instagib CTF-Citadel.

#18 Posted by mr187uk (137 posts) -

Doom via modem to a guy in Scotland (I'm in Nottingham, England) I was 16 and at work but still living at home.

One morning I awoke, opened my bedroom door to find from top to bottom of the stairs and piled up at the front door a phone bill printed on continuous printer paper the itemised phone bill that my Mum had left for me, for about £200 in total (1996) which was nearly 1/2 months wage. Deep Doh!

#19 Edited by ExiledVip3r (95 posts) -

Alien vs Predator. A friend of mine introduced me to this thing called "The Internet" and how you could play other people in the game with GameSpy; it was also my first experience with gaming clans, I got to be pretty good at the game as a minigun marine. Thus began my downfall into being an unproductive human being, before that I mostly played sports with other neighborhood kids.

#20 Posted by mosespippy (4468 posts) -

Unreal Tournament. It was UT99 but I didn't play it until 2005. To this day it is the reason I prefer having a server browser instead of matchmaking and having less than 10 maps bores me.

#21 Posted by Robitt (351 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it was Diablo on battle.net around 97-98? I joined a clan who hosted a webpage on Angelfire or something like that. Im not sure what the clan was exactly for, but it felt awesome at the time being part of a group only existing online.

#22 Posted by Loafsmooch (365 posts) -

Turok 2 on a 56k modem in '99. Man that was exciting back then. After that probably CS 1.3.

#23 Posted by Wikitoups (883 posts) -

The old days of quake shareware and mplayer.com that was fucking great!

#24 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

If everything counts then probably ctoons on cartoon network if anyone remembers that. Then probably halo at a friends house, I didn't start online gaming til I got my 360 with gears of war 1.

#25 Posted by DeanoXD (630 posts) -

Quake

#26 Posted by MorbidYak (10 posts) -

Starsiege Tribes back in '98! There might have been ones that I played briefly before that but tribes was definitaly the one that really made me think that this 'online multiplayer' thing might actually catch on.

#27 Posted by Schmollian (268 posts) -

The demo for UT2004. I then proceeded to buy the game on release day, and spent most of my 13th year playing that game online. SO good! I still go back to it from time to time... I suck now though lol

#28 Posted by Shivoa (645 posts) -

QuakeWorld probably if we're talking 'internet' (dialing up to the web, connecting to a server). LAN it's got to be Doom first (unless I'm failing to remember something I played earlier - this was over thinnet) and then within the next couple of years that was exploding into so many games (Descent, C&C, and so many others over thinnet and null-modem - Oh the joys of playing LAN games, head to head, over a 19200baud serial port; half way between a real LAN and modem). I think I first played via modem direct dial-up (as in dialing into someone else's private line, no internet involved) with Descent (before 'internet', after LAN in my personal chronology).

Man, it's been a while.

#29 Posted by two_socks (236 posts) -

SOCOM 2. That game was fucking rad.

#30 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -

I think it was CS 1.6, I felt so bad after playing.

I felt like the worst player ever :p

#31 Posted by 2xtreme (38 posts) -

I think it was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. But I could be forgetting something.

#32 Posted by GunstarRed (5483 posts) -

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It was always reaaaaaally laggy.

#33 Posted by Stonyman65 (2874 posts) -

Delta Force 2 maybe. One of the Delta Force games, but I forget which one exactly. So I'd say maybe early 2000s.. As for consoles, probably the first SOCOM.

#34 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Played tonnes of LAN throughout the 90s, but never really played online 'til Colin McRae DiRT. Can't really stand online, unless I know the people I'm playing with.

#35 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Club penguin..

#36 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

The only one I can definitely remember is my first MMO, Ultima Online. As far as a a regular multiplayer game goes, it probably would have to be Quake.

#37 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Unreal Tournament '99 for PC.

First online console experience was Resident Evil Outbreak for PS2.

#38 Posted by ConfusedOwl (972 posts) -

Runescape was the very first time that I ever played a game online. I played the hell of out it for a year and then the novelty of playing with other people wore off after awhile so ended up quiting because all I had left was the gameplay...and it was really boring.

#39 Posted by Lost_Remnant (138 posts) -

My memory is foggy if I ever played the Command and Conquer PC titles from the 90's online so that might of actually been my first. Since I played the hell out of those. I can remember for sure though was on MechAssault on Xbox live in the summer of 2003. It was fairly fun, I just remember tons of people using robot voice maksers when LIVE still had that option. I lost interest in playing online until I got Live again in 2007 for my 360 and have been using that for online gaming since then.

#40 Posted by DeadVillager (76 posts) -

My first few were Diablo II and Summoner, both games that my whole family played TCP/IP. My first actual online game was Shadowbane. So somewhere between the ages of eight and eleven for me.

#41 Posted by SSully (4336 posts) -
#42 Posted by deox (229 posts) -

I'm pretty sure mine was Counter Strike.

#43 Posted by Twiggy199 (509 posts) -
#44 Posted by Silver-Streak (1387 posts) -

First online game experience was when I was 7 or 8, with Prodigy Online's version of Neverwinter Nights and some other RPG.

Then I somehow got into beta testing Ultima Online when I was around 10 or 11...I think from some contest I entered when I bought Ultima 7 or 8.

I don't actively remember if Neverwinter on Prodigy was multiplayer or just online access with it, so I'd say Ultima Online.

#45 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

I remember buying and play Counter-Strike back in the day, as well as Quake 3 ARENA. Both of these were exclusively online (minus bots and shitty tutorial based stuff), so they were probably my first online experiences.

On consoles, i believe either HALO (CE), or BF2: Modern Combat on the PS2 were my first online experiences.

#46 Posted by Whitestripes09 (440 posts) -

I would go to a friends house and play Halo 2 and this Battlefield 2 multiplayer demo that people still played back in the day. I had an absolute blast playing both of those. It definitely changed my mind on what console to get this gen and later on I got xbox live. My first actual moment on online gaming though was actually playing Runescape in grade school. It was my first moment of "holy shit, these are all real people."

#47 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -
Staff
#48 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (635 posts) -

Medal of Honor Allied Assault in late 2002. Played one map and had to stop cause i was still on 56k and wasn't enjoying the lag.

#49 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@TheLark said:

Socom 2, it was awesome

This. I remember playing socom over dsl with my friends, all four of us in the same room.

#50 Posted by Sharpshooter (891 posts) -

My first online gaming experience was Battlefield 2. I had never experienced online gaming before then.