• 73 results
#1 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (763 posts) -

Have you ever noticed that almost every game has your enemies, bullet casings and little destructible bits always disappear. I know the reasoning behind why they need to disappear etc. , but do you think we'll every get to a point technologically where we'll be able to keep the onscreen destruction we have created without it disappearing? I remember, oddly enough, in Perfect Dark Zero that the bodies would stay on screen for quiet some time. I knew this because the A.I. was so bad that it was easy to stack the bodies in tight corridors/hallways. I think the bodies also had physics and it was pretty neat seeing them all realistically stack and move on top of each other. Also in Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsistance a lot of your bullet casing would stay on the ground which was really cool.

#2 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

I long await the day when the pile of bodies reflects the trillions of people I kill in every game

#3 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

I think in Fallout; the corpses load in, in whichever spot you killed an NPC.

#4 Edited by Flappy (2300 posts) -

If they don't decompose in real-time, I ain't interested.

#5 Posted by Chumley_Marchbanks (140 posts) -

Like death itself, it will happen eventually.

#6 Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy (258 posts) -

Why let the bodies hit the floor if they don't stay there?

#7 Posted by Humanity (9582 posts) -

Better yet, when will bodies stop disappearing and pile up properly instead of wobbling around on the floor like fresh fish.

Also funny enough if a thread like this would be seen by anyone not into gaming it would read like a group of psychopaths getting off on murder.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -

@humanity said:

Better yet, when will bodies stop disappearing and pile up properly instead of wobbling around on the floor like fresh fish.

Also funny enough if a thread like this would be seen by anyone not into gaming it would read like a group of psychopaths getting off on murder.

Maybe...maybe we are a group of psychopaths getting off on murder :o

#9 Edited by Humanity (9582 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@humanity said:

I've enjoyed.. Hotline Miami..

a lot.

EDIT: I want a next gen game to display their new physics engine by locking you in a square room with a ladder at the very top of the ceiling and spawning infinite baddies forcing you to kill until you build up a large enough mound of bodies, that you can actively walk on, and reach the ladder.

#10 Posted by Vuud (2033 posts) -

Have you ever played Total War? Bodies never disappear during a battle. Sometimes I feel real bad surveying a battlefield looking at all the little fake computer men I marched off to their deaths, getting chopped up by swords, blown up by canons, shot with arrows and muskets, and trampled by horses.

Maybe I play too much Total War.

#11 Edited by Lyisa (372 posts) -

I believe there is an option in the first dawn of war game for bodies to persist.

#12 Edited by Abendlaender (2832 posts) -

I don't think the bodies disappear in Dark Souls. At least some don't.

But to answer your question: I don't think we will see it happen anytime soon. Not only because of technical reasons, but if you realise in a game how many people/monsters you just killed....it would probably look pretty silly. Imagine 30 bodies lying on the floor and only one person killed them.

I'm just playing The Bureau right now. And an Alien invasion doesn't look that threatening if you realise that 3 dudes just took out 25 Aliens and two giant robots during one fight.

#13 Posted by Vuud (2033 posts) -

But to answer your question: I don't think we will see it happen anytime soon. Not only because of technical reasons, but if you realise in a game how many people/monsters you just killed....it would probably look pretty silly. Imagine 30 bodies lying on the floor and only one person killed them.

That was every level of Doom and it was awesome.

#14 Posted by Evilsbane (4645 posts) -

@vuud said:

Have you ever played Total War? Bodies never disappear during a battle. Sometimes I feel real bad surveying a battlefield looking at all the little fake computer men I marched off to their deaths, getting chopped up by swords, blown up by canons, shot with arrows and muskets, and trampled by horses.

One of my favorite things about that series is being able to go back to where "battles" took place and seeing the horrid loss of computer generated life.

#15 Edited by Abendlaender (2832 posts) -

@vuud said:

@abendlaender said:

That was every level of Doom and it was awesome.

But Doom wasn't so "serious" like modern day games want to be. Doom was just fun, no drama. Today there need to be a lot of people screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" during a dramatic cutscene.

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

Yep, and we got Blighttown's framerate as a result. The bodies disappear in Dark Souls 2.

#17 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Serious Sam 3 keeps up to 50 bodies rendered at a time, 10 of which can be animated with physical properties. I thought people would've unlocked the limit by now but doesn't look like it.

#18 Posted by Danteveli (1194 posts) -

I don't think its really needed I would rather have more realistic hair and character motions than stack of bodies laying on the floor.

#19 Edited by ripelivejam (4274 posts) -

for this to be properly be rendered on today's computers it has to be an ASCII text roguelike-like-like-like.

#20 Posted by Poonz (138 posts) -

Would be tripping over bodies every second in Grand Theft Auto, wouldn't even be able to get outta the hospital for all randoms that you kill when your pissed you died in the middle of a mission.

Would have to start a side mission where you move all the bodies and take em to the coroner.

#21 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5711 posts) -

Pretty sure the bodies don't disappear in the original Crysis

#22 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3428 posts) -
@flappy said:

If they don't decompose in real-time, I ain't interested.

QFT.

Also,

I'm not sure about the original Resident Evil, but in the remake for GameCube, the bodies don't disappear unless you burn them. Which is terrifying, since after a seemingly random amount of time zombies will stand back up as those Red Running Zombies.

#23 Posted by Rafaelfc (1381 posts) -

The bodies didn't disappear in Doom.

#24 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2025 posts) -

@poonz said:

Would be tripping over bodies every second in Grand Theft Auto, wouldn't even be able to get outta the hospital for all randoms that you kill when your pissed you died in the middle of a mission.

Would have to start a side mission where you move all the bodies and take em to the coroner.

That would be awesome!

#25 Posted by Stonyman65 (2763 posts) -

@coafi said:

After a certain point you just see a bloodstain and whatever they are carrying. I don't remember how long it takes exactly (probably a few days) but at some point the bodies do disappear.

#26 Edited by Mister_V (1374 posts) -

Could you imagine the end of a game of Battlefield if the bodies didn't disappear?

The HORROR.

#27 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

@vuud said:

One of my favorite things about that series is being able to go back to where "battles" took place and seeing the horrid loss of computer generated life.

I think it makes me a monster, but reading that makes me want to fire up Rome and give that game another try. It's still terrible though right? They haven't fixed it?

#28 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5797 posts) -

I won't be satisfied until I can see all of the virtual dead bodies pile up and stay piled up. I need to see the results of my masochistic video game destruction!

#29 Posted by ShaggE (6548 posts) -

@humanity said:

@beachthunder said:

@humanity said:

I've enjoyed.. Hotline Miami..

a lot.

EDIT: I want a next gen game to display their new physics engine by locking you in a square room with a ladder at the very top of the ceiling and spawning infinite baddies forcing you to kill until you build up a large enough mound of bodies, that you can actively walk on, and reach the ladder.

There's a little Flash (I think it was Flash) game that is basically what you described, minus the ladder. I wish I could remember the name of it... it was pretty fun.

Cortex Command allows for body mountains too, now that I think of it.

#30 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

When they stop hitting the floooooooooooooooooooooor!

#31 Edited by development (2428 posts) -

Barring some crazy technological breakthrough: never. But the illusion of infinite corpses is very possible and has been done in a few games. I think Oblivion had persistent corpses. I remember on the PS3, running through areas I'd been days before, finding dead wolves I killed on my last journey through. You can break this illusion: for instance if you just kill 500 enemies in one 'cell' of the map you'll start to see old ones disappear. Most people won't try and exploit the engine like that, though, so the illusion usually holds up.

#32 Edited by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

@rafaelfc said:

Nor in Wolf 3D... "Mein leben!"

#33 Posted by GalacticPunt (1076 posts) -

@coafi said:

After a certain point you just see a bloodstain and whatever they are carrying. I don't remember how long it takes exactly (probably a few days) but at some point the bodies do disappear.

That's still cool, it maintains verisimilitude. After a day or two, carrion eaters would have pulled the organic parts away to strip the bones. The more you play Elder Scrolls/modern Fallout games, the more massive your save file becomes, keeping track of all this stuff. Now that consoles have hard drives, this approach should be more common.

Unless an enemy gets vaporized, I want to see the bodies. Wanna ride the roller-coaster? /creepyguy

#34 Edited by HellBound (1161 posts) -

I think bodies disappearing is a real non issue. Say you have a god of war game where no bodies disappear. How would you move around unless you just clipped through them?

#35 Posted by CornBREDX (5607 posts) -

There are a lot of games where bodies don't disappear. It's based on the engine the game is using more than anything.

The problem is, with open world games mainly, there is a lot of information to store and recall. I believe this caused issues on Skyrim for PS3 but I don't know if that was ever confirmed to be the cause.

Anyway, there are games that do it already, and have been for years. It's all about how the developer wants to develop the game. Some developers are still more talented than others.

#36 Posted by BrianP (483 posts) -

Let the bodies hit (and stay on) the floor

#37 Edited by UngratefulDead (72 posts) -

@shagge said:

There's a little Flash (I think it was Flash) game that is basically what you described, minus the ladder. I wish I could remember the name of it... it was pretty fun.

The game you're thinking of is Body Ladder. And it's pretty great.

#38 Posted by ShaggE (6548 posts) -

@shagge said:

The game you're thinking of is Body Ladder. And it's pretty great.

That's the pepper! Cheers, now I can play it again.

#39 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (763 posts) -

@brianp said:

Let the bodies hit (and stay on) the floor

#40 Posted by EXTomar (4840 posts) -

When players start asking for it instead of "bigger maps", "more detailed models", etc.

#41 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

@coafi said:

Yeah, I wasn't completely sure if they stayed permanently or not. I just remember the corpses loading inside whichever building I went into, the greatest part was you could hear a thud whenever they appeared.

#42 Posted by KoolAid (978 posts) -

Dude, that's all I want. I might be crazy, but I really enjoy the whole "before and after" battle scenes. I don't just want those bodies there, I want the bullet casings, bullet holes, and everything. I understand that it is usually required to fade that stuff out for performance reasons, but if I was making a game, I'd spend extra effort to keep that stuff in there!

#43 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Deus Ex Human Revolution ? I think they stayed in that one .... i could be wrong.

#44 Posted by DoctorDonkey (331 posts) -

I was playing Dead Space 2 and had a body disappear 3 inches from my feet. I went to aim at a dude and the body slid out of frame just barely for maybe 2 seconds, bring the crosshairs down and boom, it's gone. If they can't keep them in the world, than at least make it subtle. Don't have them disappear within seconds right in front of you, or even worse, while you are still looking at it and it despawns out of thin air.

#45 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2910 posts) -

I'm wondering if there's a way to make this technically feasible and it just hasn't been done because it wouldn't be seen as worth the time it takes to implement by devs. Like if dead enemy models were replaced with much more basic ones so you could have your death pile without killing the framerate, but they would just look bad if you looked too closely. However you would still have problems with bodies clipping through each other all the time, or the Dark Souls problem of bodies getting caught on your character model and ragdolling all over the place.

Frankly I think the best thing to do is make some kind of in-universe explanation for why bodies disappear, like the demons burning up in Doom 3, but obviously that's not an option for stuff that's not sci-fi or fantasy.

#46 Edited by SomeJerk (3300 posts) -

Age ratings.

(so never)

#48 Posted by Rebel_Scum (739 posts) -

@oldguy said:

@rafaelfc said:

Nor in Wolf 3D... "Mein leben!"

Nor in Blakestone

#49 Posted by Nottle (1917 posts) -

In Oblivion there was a quest where you take the kings bastard son guy to some church farm near a town, some assassins come to kill the bastard, they killed the head of this church farm and some other monks and their dead bodies were there 80 hours later. I even made that place my house just because i could and had to walk across some dead bodies to get to the door.

#50 Posted by SSully (4231 posts) -

When developers have more memory then they know what to do with and just say "fuck it".