• 73 results
#51 Edited by AngriGhandi (779 posts) -

I actually had a dream about a week ago that John Carmack's big new technological breakthrough for Doom 4 was some kind of selective caching algorithmic hoopadoo that allowed every single bullet hole, shell casing, blood stain, and dead monster piece to stay in the level forever, and because of this they had made Doom 4 a return to the crazy-ass, fast-action, never-stop-dumpin' style of the original games, and it had the boot from Bulletstorm, and non-stop heavy metal music, and they had finally figured out what the fuck they were doing with that game, and everything was going to be fantastic.

And then I woke up and got really sad.

#52 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

When it matters to the gameplay. Until then... why waste the resources?

#53 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Scariest thread title of 2013.

#54 Posted by mina_mina752 (121 posts) -

becoz if they does not disappear ur 8 years old console wall "fart" due to the heavy load

#55 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

For real. I thought @acidbrandon18 worked in a morgue or something where the bodies were vanishing from the blocks, and he was having a breakdown.

#56 Edited by crithon (3253 posts) -

well best example is Doom 1 vs Doom 3. Doom 1 the first episode was called "Kneed Deep in Dead" and then doom 3 the monsters all ashes before their died.

The other problem is, dark souls and gears of war use Havok really poorly. You have this amazing brute monster, then you have them as flopping balloon animal when they die. And also how many times do we have things just hop off a table because of physics now, it's like they are all tied to one or two animation settings but you have something on a table move a gun and then POP everything all over the floor.

No we are not ready for every little detail on the floor.

#57 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5055 posts) -

Doom was ahead of it's time

#58 Posted by Unilad (561 posts) -

weren't you listening to all the Sony marketing stuff...

"Greatness Awaits"

They were obviously relating to this exact problem.

#59 Posted by Rorie (2912 posts) -
Staff Online
#60 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

You guys realize the processing overhead of having dead enemy sprites in DOOM is trivial to doing the same thing in a full 3D game, right?

#61 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

When the Corpsenapper is brought to justice.

#62 Posted by Random45 (1210 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Could you imagine the end of a game of Battlefield if the bodies didn't disappear?

The HORROR.

That would actually be a lot of fun in an online match with 64 players. There would be hundreds of corpses littering the streets and it would quite literally change the terrain of the battlefield assuming the bodies were ragdolls and could be manipulated by other players to climb on them or use them as cover.

#63 Posted by Royce_McCutcheon (207 posts) -

You guys realize the processing overhead of having dead enemy sprites in DOOM is trivial to doing the same thing in a full 3D game, right?

Wow! You're, like, smart and stuff.

#64 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (746 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

@thepickle said:

For real. I thought @acidbrandon18 worked in a morgue or something where the bodies were vanishing from the blocks, and he was having a breakdown.

The corpses are my only friends. :/

#65 Posted by Yretery (18 posts) -

Don't worry, with the infinite power of THE CLOUD, you can create as many corpses as you like with all the loving detail of a real cadaver.

#66 Edited by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

We will always need a next generation until we can have bodies stay on the floor for the duration of multiplayer matches in shooters.

I want to be literally knee deep in dead bodies while shooting down fools.

#67 Posted by BatmanBatman (369 posts) -

Dead Rising and Dynasty Warriors will be amazing on the Xstation 7!!

#68 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3393 posts) -
#69 Edited by Winternet (8019 posts) -

For a moment there, after reading the title, I was really scared of opening this thread.

#70 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5008 posts) -

Oh, you were talking about video games...

#71 Posted by Mezmero (1903 posts) -

The best recent example I can think of is Ninja Gaiden 2. Bodies of enemy ninjas stick around for a while as do their severed limbs but eventually they do indeed disappear. A few times when I had to back track through an area I came to a room where there was blood and ninja bodies all over the place from a fight I had before. It was oddly satisfying. Unfortunately all the demonic enemies in that game pretty much just dissolve on the spot.

#72 Edited by fisk0 (4113 posts) -

I don't think FPS games started fading bodies out until Half-life came around (I remember it being pretty jarring seeing that elevator fall in the beginning of the game, and the scientist's body at the bottom of the elevator shaft promptly fade out afterwards), at least not on PC. Quake, Quake II and obviously all the 2.5D games had static bodies. Quake II even went as far as having flies appear after a few minutes, though I can't recall how it handled it when you went back to a previously visited map (Q2 had a lot of backtracking).

Total Annihilation made a pretty big deal about it, while the units were all robotic, the wreckage of every unit (except air units) and structure would stay on the battlefield and could be reclaimed for construction of new units. After a long battle on some of the larger maps, the sea would be littered with battleship wreckages.

#73 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5484 posts) -

Man this thread title never gets old, ToTY type stuff.

#74 Edited by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

There's this modding tool thing for XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within that has an option to keep the bodies there. Granted there's maybe 20 enemies at the most, and usually less.

I know a bunch of RTS games and stuff keep vehicle wreckage, though infantry bodies can disappear. I remember seeing exploded remains of vehicles and stuff all over the map in Supreme Commander and Company Of Heroes.