When would you like the next generation of consoles ushered in?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

How much longer would you like the current generation of consoles to last? When do you think you will be ready for next-gen hardware?

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By yoshimitz707

5 years

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By RichardLOlson

At least 3-4 yrs.  With the Kinect and Move already out, I'm sure there gonna bring out a slew of games for them.  I'm not ready for a new console just yet and some of the other poo stabbers who think we do need to share some of there wealth.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shiftymagician

2-3 years at most to be honest.  As much as I understand that people do not see what else could be improved,  no console is truly doing the 1080p output that modern HDTV's demand, and this can only be ignored for so long.  Also, some new simple upgrades to the basic architecture will benefit both the consumer and developer, with less of a hardware bottleneck to ensure better performance overall.  It may not "wow" console consumers as much as previous generations, but I feel that they should grow accustomed to a line of thought PC users are usually used to - effective upgrading at proper periods of time, simply to facilitate bigger and better things in the near future.

I will take a gamble to say that Nintendo will be the first to budge, primarily for it being the weakest of the three platforms tech-wise, though again they can simply wait for the other two to make a move first, as they have dominated the market quite effectively over the years.  Not sure if they still retain this position today though.  I should fact-check this, but again I am making a simple guess here.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, the graphics are good enough for me right now. I have no desire to spend hundreds of dollars for an incremental increase. An HD Nintendo system with improved controls would be nice, but PS3 and 360 are perfect as they are for the foreseeable future.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

I don't think any new consoles will be coming out any time soon. I expect the next gen is a lot farther off then in the past as most "additions" thus far are integratable (i think i made that word up) into the current hardware. The only console I expect to see any new actual console out of is Nintendo and only because they haven't gone HD yet. That is, assuming they ever do (the WII is fine for what it is, when they put out real games the games are solid). The other consoles are taking a smart approach (imo) and sustaining the current hardware with integration into the current tech.

Granted, this is a gamble with how gaming usually goes but if it pays off they will do just as well with it as they would with coming up with something new (console wise I mean).

To answer the question though, never. Upgrading is so expensive. I hate it when new consoles come out =P

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supermarius

i would like the next generation to hold off as long as possible. We see the best games at the end of a console generation's life cycle so the longer the better. Generally the first year or so of a new console cycle is full of disappointing launch titles anyways so its not something i look forward to. Also if im buying the 3ds next year, i dont want to have to buy another console too soon.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Obsidian

Tomorrow would be nice.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@ShiftyMagician: I think your right about the 2 - 3 years thing. While many people have adopted HDTV's now, there are A LOT of people that still use SDTV's. However, I can completely see true 1080p gaming become far more relevant by 2012 - 2013. It's also worth mentioning that the majority of people who do have HDTV's probably don't have 1080p capable ones. I know my 26" goes up to 1080i but I keep it at 720p, because that is the standard resolution for all mainstream games today. Also, I think that while Nintendo's decision to stay with a standard definition format was a smart one, they inadvertently extended the length of time it would take for increased adoption of high definition sets. 
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monetarydread

The new consoles are coming out in 2012. It is whats been mentioned on the rumor-mill that was 1up Yours years ago. I have heard this spoken of casually on other pod casts more than a few times now; and I am sure that there are prototypes of systems floating around out there. I have heard too many rumors about Microsoft striking deals with ATI and I'm sure that those meetings two years ago with the Blu-Ray consortium were about next-gen, not now-gen.

As far as systems go. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS and PSP 2 become the last console cycle in the traditional sense. In 2011 we are going to see a Kinect hardware revision specifically for the release of Windows 8 and Nintendo is going to announce a Wii HD. In 2012 we are going to see the Wii HD release and end up nothing more than a better Wii. Then we will see the 360 re branded as the "X-box," and just like the Wii HD, be an upgrade with a bunch of new cool excuses for you to shell out for one (Blu-Ray, built-in Kinect with an HD- camera). The new X-box will then forever follow an Apple style release schedule where every year there is a new model, with the intentions that after two or three years you upgrade again - then again - then again, till you are locked in forever with tens of thousands of dollars in software and accessories as an excuse to stay with team X-box. Sony will follow Microsoft (who is following Apple), and eventually that will be the norm for everybody.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By RockAction

I dont really mind when it is but i hope it isnt for another 3 - 5 years 

to be honest i regard the ps3 as being a next generation console; i've had the xbox for a couple years now,and my brother has the wii, so the next step up is ps3, i'm not on xbox live so having online multiplayer on ps3 is great, i dont have an HDTV so HD gaming would be really great and from what i'd regard as next gen games like MGS4/Uncharted 2 and a couple other major PS3 exclusives would also be cool 

also can't afford a ps3 yet or for a long long time and a HDTV even longer, so it could just be a 'grass is always greener' kinda thing, or a distant hope, but ps3's my next generation console by comparison and to be honest if it is a 10 year console and they keep supporting it, thats probably it for me unless the next generation are truly next generation and give me some reason to play it or some game i really want to play 

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BionicMonster

Preferably sometime when I have money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never.  Keep updating these systems.  Let Nintendo make an Hd system and I'm good to go.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Synthballs

ASAP

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wuddel

3-4 years. Just upgraded everthing. PS3 and Xbox, both now slim. Also a new gaming PC.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think I'd like to see the first glimpse of a new console in Fall 2013, and then have it by October 2014.  There is no reason move on at all with the economy so weak world-wide.   Developers need to get stronger and keep using tools and skills they already have, console makers need to earn back some money form lean sales of the past four years, and I don't really see any tech that NEEDS to be implemented now.  The console makers can certainly mock up and plan in dark rooms what might be possible to bring to market in 2014, but we need the time between now and then to make it happen. 

Three good reasons to wait: 
1) Let motion controls play out. Let the entire consumer market see what works and what doesn't, shake-out the best idea and cut off the dead wood ideas 
2) Let 3D play out!  It might gain more traction then we think, or it might fizzle out, either way let find out before the next hardware commits with or without it 
3) Sadly, we haven't even gotten to the period of the current consoles where teams are making the BEST games.  We need four more years so that a fruitful end harvest of great games can be made.  

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scarace360

When my new 360 dies.

J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By J0n3s1

I would like to see new consoles announced at E3 2012.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ColinWright
@Axxol to be fair when you want it to happen and when you think it will are pretty different
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

I'd be cool with 2012, the PC tech is almost good Enough to warrant a more powerful machine, and hard drives are cheap enough that they can slap terrabyte hard drives into them and provide an all digital option.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zithe
@Obsidian said:
" Tomorrow would be nice. "
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karl_Boss

4 years

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Axxol: That really is your pet peeve, isn't it? Some people don't like to necropost
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

My personal estimate is that next gen consoles won't be released until 2014 (maybe if you don't include a WiiHD), but early reports are suggesting that they may come in 2012. 

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By empfeix
@Obsidian said:
" Tomorrow would be nice. "
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

2013 (if we're all still around).  Preview it in 2012 and release it in "holiday" 2013.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Raineko

The next consoles will possibly come 2012 or 2013. But then after that it will take a LONG time until the next gen starts because Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 will probably be extremely strong machines with a hell load of features that will be very extendable through updates.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By s-a-n-JR

We'll see it for the first time in 2013 E3, and it will be released in 2014.
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mrskidders

April 27th, 2011.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By GS_Dan

Announced 2012, released 2013.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jNerd

Atleast 3 more years... minimum. I don't want it to come out next year so I can pay fuckin $80 msrp.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Raymayne

Tomorrow. 

But in all honesty, whenever it happens, I would love to see MS pull off another ridiculous reveal like they did with the 'Slim' 360 at E3, have Don Mattrick up there talking about the next Xbox, and then suddenly he's all "And it'll be hitting shelves this afternoon!!", make it happen Don.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By DukeTogo

There really isn't anything these consoles can't do game-wise right now that makes me want for something new.  I'm loving that I'm really getting my money's worth out of a console for once after several short-lived ones.  The only area I see room for improvement is AI and game design, both something that's been an eternal issue with games that isn't really tied to the power of the console as much as developers would have you believe.

It would be cool if every game ran in 1080p at 60fps, even though that was claimed when these consoles came out it's still commonplace to cheese a high framerate by dropping down to a lower resolution.  I think these consoles can reach that via optimization, and buying a new machine for that alone isn't really enough of a draw.  I see these consoles going at least another 2-3 years with some of the motion stuff getting improved and incorporated into the machine rather than being additional hardware.  I see Kinect eventually being the front of the 360, and the Move doing something similar.

If any new console comes out first, it will be a Nintendo product.  Either an HD Wii or something crazy like augmented reality games with Mario jumping around your living room.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47

2013, I mean we are depending on motion controls to extend the life of consoles? What would extend videogames is more gpu power and more video memory imo. Not working with limitations and motion controls.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm not in a position to pay for new toys, but I'm finding the graphical difference between my consoles and my PC to be pretty severe. I would really like to see things get cleaned up. I would like to see things announced next year and released early 2012 (of course they will wait till November to catch the holiday sales) 

But Sony and Microsoft seem pretty attatched to the current hardware, so I'm not expecting anything to be released until at least 2013, possibly 2014.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Manatassi

Now please I wants better grafix :D

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By MysteriousBob

4 years. I've only been part of this generation for two years and I don't want to have to buy a new system yet just because I was late to the party. 

Besides, the hardware is still solid. Its not as if the 360 and PS3 are going to hit any gameplay blocks because of graphical limitations.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShockD

In 2012, baby!

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By tomance

I'm not too sure really.  There are some really great games coming out.   It seems like there always that stretch of not so good games when a console is first released. I think that we have another good 2-3 years out of the current gen consoles. 

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jrodrz

At least 5 years. There's a lot more to be done with the 360 and PS3

notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#43  Edited By notsonic

asap. 

360 and ps3 games have been suffering from pretty bad frame rates or tearing and load times are getting longer and longer. throw 3d on top of that and the frame rate just gets that much worse. 

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By halberdierv2

ehh... hopefully not soon, since I still can't afford even this generation yet. If it still costs $300 for a PS3 now, imagine what the price of a PS4 would be..

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By Computerplayer1

The next round will be announced at E3 2012, no question. Sony probably won't, but I'm almost positive Microsoft will go for the 1 year early gig again. I'd expect the next  Xbox in 2013/14.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46  Edited By damnboyadvance

We'll probably see something of this nature by E3 2013, with references to new hardware around E3 2012. Some company is probably going to come out with a game that pushes the current generation hardware to the max before we see a new system, though.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#47  Edited By Valkyr

Nintendo will surely be the first to drop the bomb, releasing day one profitable hardware that will put  the 360/ps3 graphics to shame, that will force Sony and MS to do  the same and release expensive consoles  just for the sake of being ahead of Nintendo (who by that time will be printing money already with the 3DS) at least in the graphics department, Nintendo laughing at them with the 3DS and the "Wii 2" and Sony/MS fighting an stupid and endless battle to claim the hardcore gamer market without any profit at all.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Meowshi
@Valkyr said:
" Nintendo will surely be the first to drop the bomb, releasing day one profitable hardware that will put  the 360/ps3 graphics to shame, that will force Sony and MS to do  the same and release expensive consoles  just for the sake of being ahead of Nintendo (who by that time will be printing money already with the 3DS) at least in the graphics department, Nintendo laughing at them with the 3DS and the "Wii 2" and Sony/MS fighting an stupid and endless battle to claim the hardcore gamer market without any profit at all. "
Nope.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FacelessVixen

2015 would be nice.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Diamond

Preferably some time when I have the money and it won't be like a nuke going off in the industry because of higher costs of development and lower returns.