#1 Posted by CarsChasingDogs (38 posts) -

I'm bored. This summer is absolute crap. All my friends are off on vacation, so there's really no incentive for me to go out. And seeing as i won't be going on vacay anytime soon, i'm probably going to be stuck inside for the duration of the season. As for my PS3, i've played the hell out of all my games already. I haven't touched it in a week; a record breaker. I've mainly been biding my time, by playing the Heroes of Newerth beta on the PC. But yeah, i've gotten quite off topic. What i've really been meaning to ask, is for recommendations on some good summer titles to help me survive the rest of summer. I'm open to anything. Thanks.

#2 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

Three all-important questions:

1. What games do you own?
  2. What genres do you like?
  3. Do you have the means to play PS2 games?
#3 Posted by CarsChasingDogs (38 posts) -

I'm not a picky gamer. I generally enjoy almost every game i play. So, please, recommend anything that's at least half-decent.
And no, my PS3 doesn't support BC unfortunately   =(

#4 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -
#5 Edited by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

Bummer about the no backwards compatibility thing, since PS2 is the best console of all time and has a ton of fuck awesome games you've probably never played. :(

If you're looking for something on the cheap, you can find the following for between $10 and $30:
  • Overlord: Raising Hell
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Folklore
  • Ratchet and Clank Future
  • Shatter (PSN)
  • Fat Princess (PSN)
  • Trash Panic (PSN)
  • Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (PSN)

Or, if you like spending moneys, Overlord 2 is basically demented Pikmin and awesome (better than the first too, but you can get the first one for $10 if you know where to look), Valkyria Chronicles is a fantastic SRPG, and one of the best RPGs to come out in the past couple years without Persona in its title, and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is the best arcade racer out there.  Oh, and BlazBlue is brilliant.

There's a bunch more stuff I can think of, but that should be good for now.
#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -
@Kamasama said:
" Fat Princess just came out. "
Yeah, get Fat Princess.  Also, get Wipeout HD if you don't have it yet.
#7 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -
@iAmJohn: He'll have to wait on MvC2 since XBLA has a 2 week exclusive.
#8 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -
@Kamasama said:
" @iAmJohn: He'll have to wait on MvC2 since XBLA has a 2 week exclusive. "
Oh right, I forgot about that.  Talk about the most useless exclusivity window ever. :\
#9 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

I've got one worse, I'm bored of my PC. I LOVE my PC, but there's nothing new, and if there is.. it's like Overlord or Call of Juarez, since I can't rent those I'm waiting on a Steam sale. Years of backlogged older games and I can't find anything to do.

Damn I want something new. Also nothing to do on my PSP besides Monster Hunter, but ahem, that's nothing new.

#10 Posted by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -
@CarsChasingDogs said:
" I'm bored. This summer is absolute crap. All my friends are off on vacation, so there's really no incentive for me to go out. And seeing as i won't be going on vacay anytime soon, i'm probably going to be stuck inside for the duration of the season. As for my PS3, i've played the hell out of all my games already. I haven't touched it in a week; a record breaker. I've mainly been biding my time, by playing the Heroes of Newerth beta on the PC. But yeah, i've gotten quite off topic. What i've really been meaning to ask, is for recommendations on some good summer titles to help me survive the rest of summer. I'm open to anything. Thanks. "
I'm actually in a pretty similar situation. Add me, ngates0226. I've only touched my PS3 once this week (for games) and played FFVII a little on PSP.

Other than that, FAT FUCKING PRINCESS for Chrissakes. I'm gonna buy within the next day or two and I'll need people to play with. Any takers?
#11 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (721 posts) -

I got the newest Prince of Persia game at Gamestop, new, for $20 on the PS3.  Could however, only be at that one Gamestop, but either way I have seen it at other stores for $30 or less and I found it to be a great game.

#12 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

I'm not bored with my PS3 even though I play more PS2  games on it than PS3 games, but I would like some more exclusive games or games that take advantage of the free online multiplayer.

Monster Hunter would have been damn great, but at least I've got Demon Souls to look forward to.

#13 Posted by fallen_elite (380 posts) -

Already there have been some great games recommended if you haven't tried them. Shatter and Fat Princess being two new PSN games that are really excellent. Also as already reccommended, Valkyria Chronicles is a must have if you have the slightest interest in an RPG or SRPG.

I wish I had a PS3 to be bored of, but I'm limited to a PC atm.

#14 Posted by grawly (63 posts) -

Download Trash Panic, damn that game is addictive

#15 Posted by TiggNine (66 posts) -

the time frame between quarters always sucks for game releases....i'm really bored also with stuff at the moment....waiting for my killzone 2 copy to come in the mail...just beat The Maw in about 5 hours and now i don't know what to play either.....

#16 Edited by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @Kamasama said:
Oh right, I forgot about that.  Talk about the most useless exclusivity window ever. :\
"
Its fan service like that that make people love Microsoft so much!
I think its really stupid. I can see Microsoft paying Rockstar to get DLC that they werent going to make in the first place, but for a game like MvC2 just let everyone have it at the same time.
#17 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Ahh yes, the summer drought is definitely upon us. What started out strong has turned out to be very weak lately. Yes, Prototype, Red Faction, inFamous were all good, but now there's nothing left!

Oh well. This fall will still be great.
#18 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @Kamasama said:
"
Its fan service like that that make people love Microsoft so much!I think its really stupid. I can see Microsoft paying Rockstar to get DLC that they werent going to make in the first place, but for a game like MvC2 just let everyone have it at the same time. "
Tell it to the European 360 owners and their copy of Ghostbusters
#19 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (721 posts) -

What also sucks is that some great games come out right after summer, when I have to go back to college with no PS3 *sigh*

#20 Posted by starfox444 (81 posts) -

Been playing GH and RB lately because I like rythm games. If that's not for you I'd advise picking up The Orange Box. Sure it may be a bit old but it's hours of goodness for a relatively low price by now. I personally loved fallout 3 but I only played it through once on one character, given that character had 80 hours of play time. Good fun but it can really be a hit or miss game, all my friends HATE it.

#21 Posted by PenguinDust (12517 posts) -

I suggest you get yourself a hobby not related to gaming.  Something, anything that's different.  Maybe take a class or do some volunteer work.  If you're bored, don't just wallow in your own apathy.  Do something. 

Of course, summer will be over in only a few weeks, so maybe you won't have to put up with the "blahs" for much longer.  Although I still think you could do something in that time.  Read a book, paint a picture, learn to cook...etc. 

#22 Posted by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -

I can't stop playing Infamous.

#23 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

GameStop has sales going on now for games for 20 bucks. You may want to look into that. Bionic Commando, Star Wars Force Unleashed, SIlent Hill, etc. Some decent titles on there.

Also GameFly would be your friend for the month left in the Summer. Get anything that seems of remote interest that you dont want to own. You'll find a way to kill time.

#24 Posted by MatthewMeadows (588 posts) -

Go buy Dead Space, it's cheap.