#1 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

With the unfortunate shuttering of studio liverpool, we've lost the last great (and arguably, only) futuristic racing game, Wipeout.

The genre seemed very popular in the playstation days and somewhat in the early PS2 days but it seems nothing has been nearly as popular since then.

With the tropes that Wipeout was popular for, an incredible sense of speed, style, smooth as silk frame rate and all that good stuff, and with new consoles on the horizon (thats a common statement on here lately isn't it? :p) isn't it about time for something new?

Or is the idea of yet another mario kart inspired racing game, even with an impressive veneer over the top too much to stomach these days?

#2 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2285 posts) -

In the future.

But on cereal business, it is strange that futuristic racing games have pretty much vanished. Maybe they'll come back if Nintendo ever releases a new F-Zero.

So yeah futuristic racing is dead.

#3 Posted by Whitestripes09 (397 posts) -

I really doubt we will see anything like Wipeout for a very long time. I have no idea why, but what seems to be in demand more these days in the racing genre of racing games is real life cars with the "arcade feel". Look at the past racing games that came out this year and you'll see that even racing simulators like Forza have kinda ditched their formula and even need for speed has somewhat branched off from street racing to pro racing to now back to its roots with arcade style racing. What I can gather from that alone is that people do not really want a linear racing experience and would much rather have an open world to explore. I have no idea how they could even make an open world game for Wipeout, but damn I wish I could play one that was really in depth to the point of like F1 with its gameplay.

#4 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

@Whitestripes09: The points you raise are all very salient and i agree, it was actually forza horizon that prompted my question. I'm a big fan of forza and i've enjoyed 4 and horizon a lot in the last year. Yet theres this urge to play a game just like it in a Feisar ship. :p

I guess it's far too much to ask that the likes of ferrari and lambourghini would lend their brands to artists to make concepts of futuristic cars to retain the brand with a fictional future based on concept cars.

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, especially if you got the burnout guys on it. Imagine the crashes you could have at 600MPH... =D

#5 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

Oh, Psygnosis/Liverpool... Contender eliminated >:(

The NFS:HP that Criterion did was kind of a modern day Wipeout with the abilities/gadgets the players had. So I suppose it's more a question of aesthetics. And a killer soundtrack.

But yeah, do want.

#6 Posted by bluefish (420 posts) -

I'd love another (good) Extreme G Racing. We would be on #4.

I've long lamented the death of this sub genre. For me personally, 'Blur' filled that void quite well for a while.

#7 Posted by Giantstalker (1514 posts) -

They're too flashy and intimidating for the casual market, and never attracted hardcore auto enthusiasts because there weren't any real cars.

I'd kill for another high quality F-ZERO game, developed by either Nintendo internally or by a company like Amusement Vision. But honestly, who is that for? I mean, other than nostalgia-laden fans like me.

It's a [sub]genre without a readily identifiable market, and without marketing, most games just won't get made.

#8 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (268 posts) -

San Francisco Rush 2049, the middle ground we've all been waiting for.

#9 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

Its a bit of a dead genre, I don't think they just fit into the market these days.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11815 posts) -

I played the hell out of some Wipeout 64 and Extreme-G back in the late 90s. Those were some damn fun times. I always thought Extreme-G was like a mirror into what this weird vision of what the future of video games would be like (I was also like 10).

#11 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Maybe the Split Second studio can make a Pod Racer game now that Disney owns Star Wars

#12 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

It's sick that games like F-Zero GX fail but Metroid and Zelda remain popular.

It truly baffles me. Am I really the only one baffled? It seems really bizarro when I wake up to the fact.

that F-zero is '"niche"'

feckin surreal.. D:

@Whitestripes09 said:

What I can gather from that alone is that people do not really want a linear racing experience and would much rather have an open world to explore. I have no idea how they could even make an open world game for Wipeout, but damn I wish I could play one that was really in depth to the point of like F1 with its gameplay.

whoa, open world Wipeout, I had never even thought of that before.

let's have this please!

#13 Edited by Amilmitt (237 posts) -
#14 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

When someone can bring something new, I'm sure it'll come back as much as the genre can. Not like it was ever huge. There were pretty much just the two of them.

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@egg: F-Zero was always pretty popular. The problem was the Sega developed GX on the Gamecube and Nintendo felt it was "too hard", despite the fact the game remains very well received and sold well at the time.

The sequel to the GBA game, which was based on the crappy anime, completely bombed though and that seems to have put them off making another one. Same thing happened with Star Fox, they assumed nobody wanted the games, because they kept making bad ones. Metroid is pretty much dead after Other M too and let's not get started on Earth-"it didn't do well 20 years ago, so why would it now?"-Bound. It's another example of Nintendo being almost hilariously out of touch with certain things. At least they're bringing back Pikmin.

#16 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@egg said:

It truly baffles me. Am I really the only one baffled? It seems really bizarro when I wake up to the fact.

that F-zero is '"niche"'

feckin surreal.. D:

F-Zero is one of the few Nintendo franchises I genuinely love. Man, they didn't even bother bringing the third GBA game to the West. God damn it.

#17 Edited by SomeJerk (3130 posts) -

Liverpool Studio is dead in dev-team name only. PS4 needs a new 1080p60 WipeOut to stay as one of the finest looking titles of the machine from start(ish) to finish

e: It's not a futuristic racer but you should look into ExciteTruck on the Wii. Yes, that 2006 launch title. I should get that $99 Wii just to play it.

#18 Posted by Humanity (8722 posts) -

When racing games can somehow get around terrible rubberbanding AI I think we will make progress in bringing more people back on board. I used to love racing games and remember spending as much time in Wipeout as in the original NFS Underground. After a while though its frustrating to hit one corner wrong while you're way ahead of anyone and suddenly you're last place with no chance of catching up. It's either that or AI that is so bad you do laps around them constantly. I'd love to see another Wipeout although with slightly changed mechanics - or maybe I don't want Wipeout at all then.. I wouldn't want another DmC situation where fans turn on the game because the ships aren't "floaty" enough and you can properly cut corners by jumping out of bounds etc.

#19 Posted by BlackLagoon (1375 posts) -

Sony still employs the WipEout community manager, and she's hinted there may be news about the franchise in the future... so who knows.

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (11649 posts) -

Ironically, they're in the past...

#21 Posted by Loafsmooch (278 posts) -

http://nitronic-rush.com/. This is a fantastic game, it's also free. I would describe it as a parkour-style Trackmania on acid. You have "thrusters" on all sides of your car so you have full rotational control in air, and on most tracks you can also enable wings to go into fly-mode. Sadly it's only a time trial sort of game (like Trackmania), can't bump into other cars.

They're also working on some kind of sequel or something called Distance.

#22 Posted by Pie (7035 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

http://nitronic-rush.com/. This is a fantastic game, it's also free. I would describe it as a parkour-style Trackmania on acid. You have "thrusters" on all sides of your car so you have full rotational control in air, and on most tracks you can also enable wings to go into fly-mode. Sadly it's only a time trial sort of game (like Trackmania), can't bump into other cars.

They're also working on some kind of sequel or something called Distance.

Yes yes yes yes. Game is awesome. Distance is coming out around August I think and is trying to get greenlit at the moment (guy on previous page posted link).

#23 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -

@egg said:

@Whitestripes09 said:

What I can gather from that alone is that people do not really want a linear racing experience and would much rather have an open world to explore. I have no idea how they could even make an open world game for Wipeout, but damn I wish I could play one that was really in depth to the point of like F1 with its gameplay.

let's have this please!

I'd be down for another Wipeout, but I don't think an open world would work, at least not in the sense of a world like Burnout: Paradise or NFS: Most Wanted. However, a truly open world like that in Fuel would be amazing. I imagine it would play like the skiing in Tribes.

#24 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2285 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Maybe the Split Second studio can make a Pod Racer game now that Disney owns Star Wars

Black Rock is dead.
#25 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@EVO said:

@egg said:

@Whitestripes09 said:

let's have this please!

I'd be down for another Wipeout, but I don't think an open world would work, at least not in the sense of a world like Burnout: Paradise or NFS: Most Wanted. However, a truly open world like that in Fuel would be amazing. I imagine it would play like the skiing in Tribes.

I imagine an open world Wipeout would be more route-based rather than an "open" go-anywhere environment. It would be sort of like a giant maze or highway system. Oh and yea it would probably have many forks in the road but few if any intersections.

#26 Posted by MocBucket62 (1136 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:

@egg said:

that F-zero is '"niche"'

feckin surreal.. D:

F-Zero is one of the few Nintendo franchises I genuinely love. Man, they didn't even bother bringing the third GBA game to the West. God damn it.

Man, I really want a new F Zero game too! If its out for the WIi U, I may actually consider getting the Wii U just for that. Though I think that in order for F Zero to make a comeback, maybe Nintendo can encourage a major track building feature like in Trackmania and make F Zero into an online powerhouse as Wii U owners make some of the most ridiculous tracks to share for online play. Anyone else want to see Nintendo take that route with F Zero? The core gameplay mechanics would be the same and the game would have its own cups and tracks for people to drive offline and online, but a feature like custom tracks could bring a community that can help WIi U sales.
#27 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

It looks pretty dope.

#28 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

There was the sleeper racer called ridge racer unbounded that came last year. You take modern looking cars and put them on a track with boost strips and the ability to crash through just about everything. Yes, even though it's set in a city, you are able to crash through walls and stuff (it cost nitro to do this). It even has a track creator as well.

Something about it being relentlessly hard makes the arcade racer a turn off since most arcade racers don't want to put in the work that sim racers do.

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Man, Wipeout was so cool. :(

#30 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

Hanging out with WW2 shooters, arena based deathmatch shooters, isometric RPGs and survival horror in the Late 90s Relic Bar.

#31 Posted by mcmax3000 (268 posts) -

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Wii U for a new F-Zero with online multiplayer.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13131 posts) -

There'll be a new F-Zero game... some day.

#33 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Well I will take an Extreme-G remake or new game any day.